Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news/co ... index.html

Everybody here probably knows that Toys “R” Us is folding up.

Perhaps everybody didn’t know that KKR, Bain Capital (Mittens again) and Vornado Real Estate we’re involved. The link shows that their bonds hit junk status and a year later the vultures came in and saddled them with debt.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/news/companies/toys-r-us-closing-blame/index.html

Everybody here probably knows that Toys “R” Us is folding up.

Perhaps everybody didn’t know that KKR, Bain Capital (Mittens again) and Vornado Real Estate we’re involved. The link shows that their bonds hit junk status and a year later the vultures came in and saddled them with debt.

yes, thats exactly what bain under nitmitt was about. this is their exact M.O.

its like they see it coming, they see the trends..see that kids wont play with "toys" anymore they will
play with their fingers. only.
so they sink in more debt and file bankruptcy.
its a looters way to shut down a business.

same M.O really as the housing crash...pile on the debt watch it deflate in value then file bankruptcy.
everyone but the homeowner made out jes fine. by the billions jes fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Toys R Us is one of the few companies Romney could point to as a "success story". These vulture capitalists suck the wealth from a company, and then load them down with an incredible amount of debt they can NEVER overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know and it is so obvious. All you need to do is look at how other retail outlets are thriving. Places like JC Penney, Sears, K-Mart and so many others.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know and it is so obvious. All you need to do is look at how other retail outlets are thriving. Places like JC Penney, Sears, K-Mart and so many others.

And those who have had vulture capitalists load them with debt are going down.

And BTW, nice job of cherry-picking. According to the Wall Street Journal, retail sales had a great year in 2017, up almost 5%.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

When they became the toy store they had put a lot of small mom and pops stores out of business and now the they're suffering the same fate because of the big box stores like Walmart and Target as well as Amazon. The company didn't change with the times to compete with the box stores or on-line retailing and tried to keep the same old business model. In the last decade, people were more willing to go to a one-stop store or to buy on-line rather than make a special trip to Toys 'R' Us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

When they became the toy store they had put a lot of small mom and pops stores out of business and now the they're suffering the same fate because of the big box stores like Walmart and Target as well as Amazon. The company didn't change with the times to compete with the box stores or on-line retailing and tried to keep the same old business model. In the last decade, people were more willing to go to a one-stop store or to buy on-line rather than make a special trip to Toys 'R' Us.

Exactly, but please don't mess up the Mitt Romney hate fest with the facts. Most Toys-R-Us were located near Malls. Malls for whatever reason are failing right and left all over the country. We have seemed to have gone back to the out door shopping centers we had before the Mall craze hit.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Exactly, but please don't mess up the Mitt Romney hate fest with the facts. Most Toys-R-Us were located near Malls. Malls for whatever reason are failing right and left all over the country. We have seemed to have gone back to the out door shopping centers we had before the Mall craze hit.

Hey, now wait a minute. The reason Mitt was such a hero to glen was that Mitt was a super manager, and Toys R Us paid outrageous fees to Mitt so Mitt could tell them how to run their business. Now you are telling me Mitt was a lousy manager, too, who mismanaged the company that badly?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey, now wait a minute. The reason Mitt was such a hero to glen was that Mitt was a super manager, and Toys R Us paid outrageous fees to Mitt so Mitt could tell them how to run their business. Now you are telling me Mitt was a lousy manager, too, who mismanaged the company that badly?

Remember, glen, like most conservatives, likes business people like Willard Romney to be president. We had the team of Bush/Cheney, two oil executives whose leadership crashed the economy and now Trump who is doing it too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Remember, glen, like most conservatives, likes business people like Willard Romney to be president. We had the team of Bush/Cheney, two oil executives whose leadership crashed the economy and now Trump who is doing it too.

Now you are going to make me defend Trump and I am going to catch crap for doing so. While you and I probably agree that before hos 4 years are over Trump will screw up the economy. So far the economy has been doing great since he has taken office.

Something that in a previous thread I credited to what he inherited not on his [Trump's] policies. Personally I believe that after the second quarter of this year is the point where no matter what the economy is doing good, bad or inbetween it will then be 100% on Trump.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Now you are going to make me defend Trump and I am going to catch crap for doing so. While you and I probably agree that before hos 4 years are over Trump will screw up the economy. So far the economy has been doing great since he has taken office.

Something that in a previous thread I credited to what he inherited not on his [Trump's] policies. Personally I believe that after the second quarter of this year is the point where no matter what the economy is doing good, bad or inbetween it will then be 100% on Trump.

Can't you guys take credit for your own actions? If you defend Trump, it's not OUR fault!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Can't you guys take credit for your own actions? If you defend Trump, it's not OUR fault!

Can't you guys admit the economy has done well over the last 14 months.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Toys R Us is one of the few companies Romney could point to as a "success story". These vulture capitalists suck the wealth from a company, and then load them down with an incredible amount of debt they can NEVER overcome.

And he's running for U.S. Senate go figure. :problem:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

which is the Epitome of human laziness.

they built all these stores for the humans and now the humans dont wanna drive anywhere in their
cars or even the 'driver less cars'.

its hilarious watching humans become so lazy and sedentary they cant even cook their own food
or even make the list without talking to a round machine pretense female voice.

then of course all the boxes made from trees that ship all this crap to the lazy humans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 pm 

Toys r us knew they were toast in 2005. They approached Credit Suisse to find a buyer so the shareholders could cash out - take the money and run.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... in-Capital

And Mitt was long gone from Bain by 2005.

What's interesting is that major investors to Bain, KKR, Vornado Private Equity Funds for the leveraged buyouts are union pension funds. Anything for a buck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Toys r us knew they were toast in 2005. They approached Credit Suisse to find a buyer so the shareholders could cash out - take the money and run.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... in-Capital

And Mitt was long gone from Bain by 2005.

What's interesting is that major investors to Bain, KKR, Vornado Private Equity Funds for the leveraged buyouts are union pension funds. Anything for a buck.

Not quite “long gone”. Romney negotiated a 10 year retirement wherein he received millions as a “retired partner” from Bain. Do we know if he was quietly active behind the scenes? No. Irrelevant either way. The business model was his. He was the first and last ceo of Bain Capital.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Capital

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wait - you were just blaming Toys R Us' problems on a terrible economy. Don't you get whiplash?

Look, the reality is that Toys R Us went bankrupt because of the debt and mismanagement of your hero, Mitt Romney. This was supposedly one of his few success stories - and it was never a success story after he bought it. It was a long slide into debt-ridden bankruptcy. The company had too much debt to afford to change with the times. It was just in a death spiral.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, because GDP growth is a chimera. Inflation has been around 2% which makes “growth” between 1 and 1-1/2%. That ain’t nothing to chirp about no matter who is president.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, Librarian, Romney was quite fond of stealing pension funds from workers. I'm sure you, first, won't admit it, and second, you'll say that's why workers should have 401(k)s instead - and not choke on the hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 pm 

I don't have a problem with private pension funds. The precarious nature of public pension funds tells me they should be 401k/IRA directed - State pays 10% and employees pays 10%. At 20% per year that is more than enough. We both know the Defined Pension is a dying breed so it's best to be responsible and informed about retirement options. Owning your fund is a big plus as few workers are long term employees these days - According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. Forrester Research predicts that today's youngest workers will hold twelve to fifteen jobs in their lifetime.. That portability and ownership is nice. Younger workers recognize it and embrace it. 70% of businesses are sole proprietorship's - lunch pale America is over.

Did Romney liquidate pension funds and put the money in his pocket? Probably not. I know GTS Steel ended up under funded. I also know that union pension funds,as principle investors with Bain, were on the receiving end of those huge dividend payouts but I don't think they stepped up and returned those dividends to make the GTS union pension fund whole. So, essentially, they stole pension funds too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can, but it's Obama's economy. Too soon for it to be anyone else's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 pm 

I can, but it's Obama's economy. Too soon for it to be anyone else's.

Like the Clinton economy was the Reagan economy.

Major corporate tax cuts might warm things early but it takes 3-4 years for it to get up to speed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Major corporate tax cuts might warm things early but it takes 3-4 years for it to get up to speed.

Corporate tax cuts do not stimulate the economy. Demand and demand increase only stimulates the economy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

What a bunch of bullshit. First, the Reagan tax cuts were at their first of his tenure, and he kept raising taxes after that. So, his tax cuts were something like twelve years before Clinton's tax increases.

Which, BTW, the right said would cause an immediate Great Depression. Instead, they fueled an economic boom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:59 am 
Board Emeritus

I think the Toys “R” Us stores are going under because they filled their stores with huge piles of only a few sorry cheap idems.

I tried to buy toys for my kids there a couple of times and walked away empty handed, From there I went looking to find a toy store. There are no toy stores left.

When I was a kid I was in small main street toy stores which offered a greater selection, so I know stores like that existed.

And on top of that the Toys “R” Us stores were grubby.

Home depot and lowe's is doing the same thing. A huge store piled high, but a builder can't go there and find an adequate selection of materials needed to build a house. When I go to one of those stores with a list of things I need, they won't have about one in five idems on my list.

I can still find the full selection of building materials at jobber supply houses, but most people don't know where those business are. Those places don't advertise for walk in trade. I maintain a tax number so I can still buy thing from those wholesale outlets.

But I never did find a place where I could buy toys for my kids.