RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 pm 

"Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is currently at the Justice Department meeting with the deputy attorney general's office making his case why he should not be fired days before his 50th birthday and lose his pension, a source familiar with the meeting said."

"McCabe was set to officially retire on March 18, but according to a source familiar with the matter, he could be fired just days before and lose his pension after a more than two-decade career at the bureau."

"CNN has learned the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility has recommended McCabe be fired and now the decision is up to Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
The issue stems from findings in an internal Justice Department watchdog report that claims he misled investigators about his decision to authorize FBI officials to speak to the media about an investigation into the Clinton Foundation."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/politics ... index.html

Loosing the pension seems to me too much. Not sure what the penalty should be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fire him for what?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is currently at the Justice Department meeting with the deputy attorney general's office making his case why he should not be fired days before his 50th birthday and lose his pension, a source familiar with the meeting said."

"McCabe was set to officially retire on March 18, but according to a source familiar with the matter, he could be fired just days before and lose his pension after a more than two-decade career at the bureau."

"CNN has learned the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility has recommended McCabe be fired and now the decision is up to Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
The issue stems from findings in an internal Justice Department watchdog report that claims he misled investigators about his decision to authorize FBI officials to speak to the media about an investigation into the Clinton Foundation."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/politics ... index.html

Loosing the pension seems to me too much. Not sure what the penalty should be.

It's from CNN, they love drama. He has unused vacation and sick days built up according to reporting from two or three months ago to span that time. This news discussion about his pension is being retreaded for a second go round.

I seriously doubt that his pension would be affected.

Besides I think this bit about cops loosing their pension for being fired just day before their retirement is an urban legend brought about to intensify the drama in cop shows on TV. Pensions have had vesting protections for years. For longer than the time I was working.

At most it might reduce the monthly amount a bit. Like retiring a year early might reduce the payout some.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yah, fire the guy just a couple of days before retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:15 am 
Board Emeritus

This just shows how much hate the right has. Fuck with someone's pension just because they can. That's the thing about them - they want to see us ALL living in poverty, without any safety net. Then they can blame us for our poverty and look down on us as worthless. I know glen looks upon the working class - himself excepted, of course - as lazy and no good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I'll just park this here: https://www.vox.com/world/2017/12/21/16 ... epublicans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, again, I'm kinda stuck on the same question.

What did he do wrong? Now, there's supposedly an Inspector General report that's supposedly suggesting he may have lied about a leak. I got that from looking at Jonathan Turley, who I find these days I don't always agree with, but at least he likes to give spin-free analysis, a blessed thing in these times. But, I don't think that report is done, and I don't think people outside the FBI IG office have seen it. All we have is the Beltway rumor mill.

Next question: even if he did do something wrong, that's in an IG report nobody's seen yet (well, in journalism, anyway), was it so serious that we have to make sure he's fired a few days before his ... retirement? Look, if he was conspiring with the Lapplanders to plant a bomb in FBI headquarters, maybe. But it sure doesn't look like anything that serious.

Certainly, what accusations Trump has tweeted against the man don't seem to rise to that level. So he dared to help his wife's political campaign? Drawn and quartered! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 am 
Board Emeritus

"What did he do wrong?"

Right off the top of my head I would point to his being a life long Republican. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 am 
Political Junkie

Who are we trying to kid? It boils down to a enemies list. Anyone who doesn't kiss his lily white ass 24/7 is out and replaced by someone who will. Crist, it's pretty bad when ya can say Nixon went out with some class.........The damage this crazy bastard is doing to save his selfish ass is unprecedented. This is not going swimmingly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 am 

Yeah, again, I'm kinda stuck on the same question.

What did he do wrong? Now, there's supposedly an Inspector General report that's supposedly suggesting he may have lied about a leak. I got that from looking at Jonathan Turley, who I find these days I don't always agree with, but at least he likes to give spin-free analysis, a blessed thing in these times. But, I don't think that report is done, and I don't think people outside the FBI IG office have seen it. All we have is the Beltway rumor mill.

Next question: even if he did do something wrong, that's in an IG report nobody's seen yet (well, in journalism, anyway), was it so serious that we have to make sure he's fired a few days before his ... retirement? Look, if he was conspiring with the Lapplanders to plant a bomb in FBI headquarters, maybe. But it sure doesn't look like anything that serious.

Certainly, what accusations Trump has tweeted against the man don't seem to rise to that level. So he dared to help his wife's political campaign? Drawn and quartered! :roll:

Let's assume the Turley thing is true - is that enough to loose the pension? I did more reading and did find references that indicated the penalty could be adjusted. One cited a situation where the the individual was forced to wait a few years before collecting the pension.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bunch of smart people not able to understand pretty simple things.

1) An FBI investigator's wife received roughly 200K from a Clinton allie to run for election.
2) That FBI investigator failed to recuse himself from an investigation into Clinton's email hard drive. By FBI regulations, he had a duty to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest.
3) He further harmed the image of the perceived independence of the FBI by specifically authorizing agents to comment on an ongoing investigation, which, though permissible, is exceptionally rare.
4) He gave misleading statements regarding that authorization.

The report from an independent investigation found no actual evidence that he was compromised, but did find his actions interfered with the FBI's ability to conduct an investigation that would appear independent.

Do I believe that is worthy of firing before Sunday? No I don't. I also don't think that will happen.

Do I think it is difficult to understand what happened? No I don't. At this point, I have no reason to reject the FBI's conclusions from its own internal review. Folks who believe the investigations into Clinton and Trump are non-partisan seem to accept without question that an investigation by the FBI's internal auditor is not independent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who are we trying to kid? It boils down to a enemies list. Anyone who doesn't kiss his lily white ass 24/7 is out and replaced by someone who will. Crist, it's pretty bad when ya can say Nixon went out with some class.........The damage this crazy bastard is doing to save his selfish ass is unprecedented. This is not going swimmingly.

This is the GOP attack on the independence of the FBI in reverse.

Trumpkins say that the whole thing is politically motivated, and therefore the FBI Inspector General's report doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

1) An FBI investigator's wife received roughly 200K from a Clinton allie to run for election.
2) That FBI investigator failed to recuse himself from an investigation into Clinton's email hard drive. By FBI regulations, he had a duty to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest.

I suppose ... but ... his wife had already lost her race for state Senate, before his involvement in the probe began.

FBI documents show Andrew McCabe had no conflict of interest in Clinton email probe
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fbi- ... mail-probe

Internal FBI documents published on the bureau’s website Friday show that McCabe’s oversight role in the Clinton probe began only in February 2016 when he assumed his role as deputy director — three months after his wife Jill McCabe lost her bid for a Virginia state Senate seat as a Democrat.

[snip][end]

Quote:
At this point, I have no reason to reject the FBI's conclusions from its own internal review.

So re that second allegation, which appears to be in the report ...

That internal review report is still in the draft state, and has not been released. That is my main problem with discussing what it "says". AG Sessions may have seen it and maybe some others at the FBI. But who else? Is it in a finished state ... "draft" implies still being worked on.

I'm not questioning the validity of the report. However, before people find a need to hastily act on its conclusions, it would be nice to actually see it, first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

But her e-mails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

3) He further harmed the image of the perceived independence of the FBI by specifically authorizing agents to comment on an ongoing investigation, which, though permissible, is exceptionally rare.
4) He gave misleading statements regarding that authorization.

The report from an independent investigation found no actual evidence that he was compromised, but did find his actions interfered with the FBI's ability to conduct an investigation that would appear independent.

Do I believe that is worthy of firing before Sunday? No I don't. I also don't think that will happen.

Do I think it is difficult to understand what happened? No I don't. At this point, I have no reason to reject the FBI's conclusions from its own internal review. Folks who believe the investigations into Clinton and Trump are non-partisan seem to accept without question that an investigation by the FBI's internal auditor is not independent.

I disagree. I think Trump will have him fired one day before his retirement takes effect just to torment him. Trump's an asshole and loves to screw people so why wouldn't he do that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's from CNN, they love drama.

BWAHAHAH! Sam ragging at anybody about loving drama. Irony rears its ugly zit covered head.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 pm 
Policy Wonk

Fire him for what?

His wife took campaign money from HRC.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

If there was enough wrong-doing, they should have fired him before he could quit. Waiting until the last day is just mean and unprofessional.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is funny. Some say he can't be fired yet, because the report was only a draft. Gou wanted him fired before the investigation even yielded a draft report.

We'll know in 36 hours who was right about Sessions. I still think he will be allowed to retire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

BWAHAHAH! Sam ragging at anybody about loving drama. Irony rears its ugly zit covered head.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm laughing AT YOU Ike. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I suppose ... but ... his wife had already lost her race for state Senate, before his involvement in the probe began.

FBI documents show Andrew McCabe had no conflict of interest in Clinton email probe
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fbi- ... mail-probe

Internal FBI documents published on the bureau’s website Friday show that McCabe’s oversight role in the Clinton probe began only in February 2016 when he assumed his role as deputy director — three months after his wife Jill McCabe lost her bid for a Virginia state Senate seat as a Democrat.

[snip][end]

So re that second allegation, which appears to be in the report ...

That internal review report is still in the draft state, and has not been released. That is my main problem with discussing what it "says". AG Sessions may have seen it and maybe some others at the FBI. But who else? Is it in a finished state ... "draft" implies still being worked on.

I'm not questioning the validity of the report. However, before people find a need to hastily act on its conclusions, it would be nice to actually see it, first.

Professor, so what?

Wisconsin Supreme Court judges rules on cases involving their own donors 3 MONTHS AFTER litigants helped fund their elections. Most people I know, especially lawyers, believe they failed to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. It is a major issue in the current Supreme Court race, with one candidate saying he wouldn't recuse himself either. The other candidate is the liberal.

He could have, and according to the FBI should have, let someone else supervise the investigation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is funny. Some say he can't be fired yet, because the report was only a draft. Gou wanted him fired before the investigation even yielded a draft report.

We'll know in 36 hours who was right about Sessions. I still think he will be allowed to retire.

So if he is allowed to retire and later it is learned that he has committed some illegal or unethical acts, could they not charge him criminally and could they not seize his pension? Pension/retirement plans are always tough to attach in my experience. I had an employee who was convicted of embezzling millions of dollars over a period of years. I had proof that she had funded her 401K with stolen money. Still I was told it would be difficult to seize her 401K. The employee eventually relinquished all rights to the 401K but it was only in the hopes of getting a more favorable prison sentence after pleading guilty to the theft.

Point is that it is extremely difficult to take someone's retirement funds. Maybe the FBI and government employees at that level have different rules or maybe he is in bigger trouble that we know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Reading that he was just fired. Don't have a link though so not sure about accuracy.

Edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/andr ... 4c04070d10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I still think he will be allowed to retire.

You're wrong.

MSNBC now reporting McCabe has been fired by Sessions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... re-n856751