RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

He could have, and according to the FBI should have, let someone else supervise the investigation.

FBI ruled McCabe had no conflict of interest in Clinton probe: docs
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... nton-probe

Andrew McCabe had asked ethics officials if his wife's candidacy would lead to a potential conflict of interest while he was working as an assistant director at the FBI Field Office in Washington, D.C., the documents show.

“From the first contemplation that his wife would run for office in Virginia, [McCabe] sought out and consulted with ethics officers, which included briefings on the Hatch Act,” the records state.

A "system of recusal" was also put in place to prevent any potential conflicts of interests, according to the documents.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

McCabe is a witness, and was probably going to testify against Trump. Not only is this vindictive, but it will discredit him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess the good news is, he can make a shitload off his book deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Second allegation:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eview.html

One big caveat here: The underlying issue that McCabe was not “forthcoming” about may (may!) have involved behavior that hurt Hillary Clinton:

The allegations revolve around disclosures to The Wall Street Journal, which revealed in October 2016 a dispute between the F.B.I. and Justice Department over how to proceed in an investigation into the Clinton family’s foundation. The article said that the Justice Department would not authorize subpoenas in the case. Some F.B.I. agents, the article said, believed that Mr. McCabe had put the brakes on the investigation. Others rejected that notion. …

In the Journal story, a person described as close to Mr. McCabe pushed back on the notion that he had tried to shut down the Clinton Foundation investigation. To the contrary, the person described a tense conversation with the Justice Department in which Mr. McCabe insisted his agents had the authority to keep investigating.

The article was a negative one for the Clinton campaign.

[snip][end]

So, what is the chain of what Trump and others are pretending to be something approaching logic in this case?

Did the fact that his wife got money from people close to Clinton for her state senate run suddenly inspire him to act against her in the Clinton Foundation case? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're wrong.

MSNBC now reporting McCabe has been fired by Sessions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... re-n856751

I don't know if J_dogg is wrong or not X. If J_dogg is wrong then I will be wrong as well because I have argued that I seriously doubt that his pension would be affected.

I said, "Besides I think this bit about cops loosing their pension for being fired just day before their retirement is an urban legend brought about to intensify the drama in cop shows on TV. Pensions have had vesting protections for years. For longer than the time I was working."

"At most it might reduce the monthly amount a bit. Like retiring a year early might reduce the payout some."

And then I posted a Vox article dated in January which basically stated that McCabe stepped down and retired then using accumulated sick and vacation days to reach his retirement eligibility date.

When someone is fired they usually do not lose their accumulated days. Or the retirement they have vested at that time.

So I think NBC et. al. are more than likely the ones who are wrong X.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

The point is, firing != being allowed to retire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fucking with an FBI lifer. This aint gunna be good for Trump. The leaks might come hard and fast.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

:D wow, haven't seen that in a long time.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're wrong.

MSNBC now reporting McCabe has been fired by Sessions.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... re-n856751

Yep. I was. Thanks for letting me down easily. I was actually coming to post this myself though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

So if he is allowed to retire and later it is learned that he has committed some illegal or unethical acts, could they not charge him criminally and could they not seize his pension? Pension/retirement plans are always tough to attach in my experience. I had an employee who was convicted of embezzling millions of dollars over a period of years. I had proof that she had funded her 401K with stolen money. Still I was told it would be difficult to seize her 401K. The employee eventually relinquished all rights to the 401K but it was only in the hopes of getting a more favorable prison sentence after pleading guilty to the theft.

Point is that it is extremely difficult to take someone's retirement funds. Maybe the FBI and government employees at that level have different rules or maybe he is in bigger trouble that we know.

So what? We don't take people's retirement because they may have done something bad. We wait until we know.

If he loses his pension, for being fired 2 days short of retirement, I would hedge that he earned the vast majority of it, and not fire him absent clear proof.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
In an interview, Mr. McCabe was blunt. “The idea that I was dishonest is just wrong,” he said, adding, “This is part of an effort to discredit me as a witness.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/us/p ... fired.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

FBI ruled McCabe had no conflict of interest in Clinton probe: docs
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... nton-probe

Andrew McCabe had asked ethics officials if his wife's candidacy would lead to a potential conflict of interest while he was working as an assistant director at the FBI Field Office in Washington, D.C., the documents show.

“From the first contemplation that his wife would run for office in Virginia, [McCabe] sought out and consulted with ethics officers, which included briefings on the Hatch Act,” the records state.

A "system of recusal" was also put in place to prevent any potential conflicts of interests, according to the documents.

[snip][end]

I said there was no evidence of an actual conflict. He should have consulted with an ethics attorney when he took over monitoring of the Clinton investigation.

Last edited by J_dogg82 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

So you are missing Sam's Point that if he has enough sick leave to get him too retirement, he may reach retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think Drak is correct -- the issue here is not so much his pension, but making sure that he is discredited as a witness, by having it be known he was fired.

I believe McCabe is saying the same thing in the written statement he has released tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Again, the problem is that he brought discredit to the FBI by inviting these types of questions. He should have recused himself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think Drak is correct -- the issue here is not so much his pension, but making sure that he is discredited as a witness, by having it be known he was fired.

I believe McCabe is saying the same thing in the written statement he has released tonight.

OK. So you are now on record that the FBI Office of Inspector General (is that the right one? I think it is close to the title if not exact.) is corrupted by political interference. The, likely, career agents are in the bag for Trump? This is a "witch hunt?" The FBI can't be trusted?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

So what? We don't take people's retirement because they may have done something bad. We wait until we know.

If he loses his pension, for being fired 2 days short of retirement, I would hedge that he earned the vast majority of it, and not fire him absent clear proof.

What I am reading is that the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility recommended his termination. So I am speculating that there is something more going on here than we know which would rise to the level that he needed to be terminated rather than allowed to retire.

I would agree with you that he has more than likely earned the majority of his pension.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

What I am reading is that the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility recommended his termination. So I am speculating that there is something more going on here than we know which would rise to the level that he needed to be terminated rather than allowed to retire.

I would agree with you that he has more than likely earned the majority of his pension.

I guess I wasn't as close as I thought regarding the department.

That is what I heard from the start...the office recommended termination. So the office has to be in on it. I am not speculating there is anything more going on here. I have confidence in the FBI's investigation until I hear otherwise. I haven't heard any strong denials really. It seems like we all pretty much agree on what happened...except you. You think something else, unknown happened. Spooky.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

If I were in the FBI, I'd be passed at this guy BTW. It isn't like he didn't know he was going under a microscope. Lots of agents never took 200K donations from any Democrats.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess I wasn't as close as I thought regarding the department.

That is what I heard from the start...the office recommended termination. So the office has to be in on it. I am not speculating there is anything more going on here. I have confidence in the FBI's investigation until I hear otherwise. I haven't heard any strong denials really. It seems like we all pretty much agree on what happened...except you. You think something else, unknown happened. Spooky.

I don't know that it is anything more than what you said. A simple conflict of interest issue. The firing so close to retirement on that basis appears to be a little over the top to me but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't know that it is anything more than what you said. A simple conflict of interest issue. The firing so close to retirement on that basis appears to be a little over the top to me but I could be wrong.

Well you said you didn't know. You still floated the idea though, right.

"Many people are saying..."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the point is certain elements of the new media are utilizing a standard plot element of TV cop drama shows to substitute for reality in order to sensationalize their stories.

So that when readers read their stories their blood will boil over, they'll get up out of their chair and stomp around the house ranting and raving in anger.

The Librarian started this thread with an emotional topic which was stated as an understatement - "I'm a bit conflicted on this." The point is it was this sensationalized coverage which is conflicted, and is BS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

From that NYT piece:

Quote:
In a statement released late Friday, Mr. Sessions said that Mr. McCabe had shown a lack of candor under oath on multiple occasions.

“The F.B.I. expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity and accountability,” he said. “I have terminated the employment of Andrew McCabe effective immediately."

This is just simply and utterly ridiculous coming from the guy that committed perjury under oath multiple times, but somehow remains AG.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the point is certain elements of the new media are utilizing a standard plot element of TV cop drama shows to substitute for reality in order to sensationalize their stories.

So that when readers read their stories their blood will boil over, they'll get up out of their chair and stomp around the house ranting and raving in anger.

The Librarian started this thread with an emotional topic which was stated as an understatement - "I'm a bit conflicted on this." The point is it was this sensationalized coverage which is conflicted, and is BS.

Well now you are just being silly. :rw) :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

From that NYT piece:

This is just simply and utterly ridiculous coming from the guy that committed perjury under oath multiple times, but somehow remains AG.

Well...He recused himself...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next