Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

Quote:
Fifty years ago, on March 16, 1968, U.S. soldiers attacked the Vietnamese village of My Lai. Even though the soldiers met no resistance, they slaughtered more than 500 Vietnamese women, children and old men over the next four hours, in what became known as the My Lai massacre. After the massacre, the U.S. military attempted to cover up what happened. But in 1969 a young reporter named Seymour Hersh would reveal a 26-year-old soldier named William Calley was being investigated for killing 109 Vietnamese civilians. Today, memorials have been held in My Lai to mark the 50th anniversary of this horrific attack.

50 Years After My Lai Massacre in Vietnam, Revisiting the Slaughter the U.S. Military Tried to Hide

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/3/16/ ... i_massacre

Although, The United States of America lost the war, it be not dead. Everything can be relived or we can look at what we have done and try to become better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

This was one of the most horrible events in American military history. It was Lt. Calley who was on the ground and was responsible for the actual killing but he was also the scapegoat for higher ups in the chain of command as well. Calley should still be in prison.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

My Lai was an epic Military Disaster. One lowly Lieutenant (William Calley) was convicted.

1968 on Whote was one of worst years of War. Khe Sahn, the Fall of Hue City, the attacks in Saigon and hte seizure of the U.S. Embassy.

Most of over 55,000 U.S. Soliders, Sailors, Airmen, Navy and Coast Guard killed Viet Nam occured after 1968.

The worst 18-Months of my life.

45 is 5-Deferment Draft Dodger.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

My Lai was an epic Military Disaster. One lowly Lieutenant (William Calley) was convicted.

1968 on Whote was one of worst years of War. Khe Sahn, the Fall of Hue City, the attacks in Saigon and hte seizure of the U.S. Embassy.

Most of over 55,000 U.S. Soliders, Sailors, Airmen, Navy and Coast Guard killed Viet Nam occured after 1968.

The worst 18-Months of my life.

45 is 5-Deferment Draft Dodger.....

Agreed that My Lai was an epic disaster. So was the whole damn war. And we learned nothing.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Calley spent three and a half years sitting at home watching TV and was then released. The rest of the perps got away with no consequences at all.

What did we learn? Americans see Vietnamese as a bunch of sub human zipperheads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

I can understand the emotions going through the minds of the Men there. The constant sniping....booby traps (IEDS), fear is a real and living thing.

Someone snapped, then they all snapped and the god awful slaughter began.

Nam should never have happed. Fuck Truman. Fuck Eisenhower, Fuck Kennedy, Fuck Johnson and Fuck Nixon.

Fuck Them All.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I can understand the emotions going through the minds of the Men there. The constant sniping....booby traps (IEDS), fear is a real and living thing.

Nam should never have happed. Fuck Truman. Fuck Eisenhower, Fuck Kennedy, Fuck Johnson and Fuck Nixon.

Fuck Them All.

Fuck Charles de Gaulle. None of this needed to happen. Right at the end of WWII when the Japanese were defeated and withdrew from Vietnam, so the story goes, de Gaulle contacted Truman and warned him of the consequences if the US supported the Viet Minh and independence from France. That France "could fall under the influence of the Soviet Union." Of course Truman should have told de Gaulle to fuck off, but Truman folded.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am 
Board Emeritus

Fuck Them All.

I don't think they all snapped. Lt. Calley claimed his superior, a captain, a day earlier had ordered him to enter the village and everyone there was to be shot. Calley followed his orders and began the massacre until an Army helicopter pilot told Calley to stop or he'd have his helicopter fire on Calley and his men.

During Calley's courts martial, he claimed the villager's deaths were the results of an accidental air strike. When that proved to be a lie he changed his story to that of following orders. Calley's men backed up his story about the orders. Regardless of whether he had orders or not, he violated the Geneva Conventions to which the U.S. is a signatory of. As an officer, he should have of been aware of the Geneva Conventions and know what he was doing was not only wrong but illegal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Calley's commander was Captain Ernest Medina, who not only gave Calley the go ahead, if not a direct order that Medina had been given, and that was supported all the way up the chain of command to Major Gen. Samuel Koster, who was never charged but ended up resigning in disgrace, stripped of his Distinguished Service medal, demoted to Brigadier (wow demoted and everything) and discharged for "failure to conduct an adequate investigation." FEH. Testimony in Calley's trial reported that Medina himself had shot three Vietnamese villagers to death. But the Army and government of this country decided, yeah? So what?

The only hero in this whole thing were Huey gunship commander Chief Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson. Thompson landed his Huey near a ditch where 10-20 villagers were about to be shot by Calley's people. He ordered them to stand down. They refused...at which point he ordered his men to open up on them if a shot was fired. Then the cowardly motherfuckers decided to stand down.

And Hugh Thompson? He was treated like a traitor by the American people until the day he died, too young at the age of 62.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am 
Policy Wonk

Medina was defended by that walking shit stain F. Lee Bailey. He may have started out a good lawyer, but wound up as a professional asshole.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Calley's commander was Captain Ernest Medina, who not only gave Calley the go ahead, if not a direct order that Medina had been given, and that was supported all the way up the chain of command to Major Gen. Samuel Koster, who was never charged but ended up resigning in disgrace, stripped of his Distinguished Service medal, demoted to Brigadier (wow demoted and everything) and discharged for "failure to conduct an adequate investigation." FEH. Testimony in Calley's trial reported that Medina himself had shot three Vietnamese villagers to death. But the Army and government of this country decided, yeah? So what?

The only heroes in this whole thing were Huey gunship commander Chief Warrant Officer Hugh Thompson. Thompson landed his Huey near a ditch where 10-20 villagers were about to be shot by Calley's people. He ordered them to stand down. They refused...at which point he ordered his men to open up on them if a shot was fired. Then the cowardly motherfuckers decided to stand down.

And Hugh Thompson? He was treated like a traitor by the American people until the day he died, to young at the age of 62.

Hey, he stopped 'Murican soldiers from killing a bunch of yellow people. You know that white, and particularly white 'Muricans, are real people. Those gooks weren't people.

Please don't step in the steaming puddle of sarcasm.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

I've read a lot about war. I have seen people who have returned from Vietnam. People get caught up in its game. People die - that is the name of the game. Right and wrong is up in the clouds somewhere.

Vietnam was a long time ago. Overall, things have changed a little, but it's the same game that is the trump card in politics. People are more skeptical now of wars. Right wing politicians, drunk on power, keep their hands on the controls, always looking for an opportunity.

Hawk is too poor of word to describe them. Hawk is a majestic bird. They are right-wing authoritarians. Sometimes admired as heroes when they save the day. In this country, they are constrained by the government, presumably.

Last edited by TheFox on Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hey, he stopped 'Murican soldiers from killing a bunch of yellow people. You know that white, and particularly white 'Muricans, are real people. Those gooks weren't people.

Please don't step in the steaming puddle of sarcasm.

There's a part of me that wishes one of the murderous assholes from Company C had fired on the villagers in that ditch. Because those who would have been fired on by Hugh Thompson's crew would have been the only people who would have received the justice they deserved in this incident. The single incident that best exemplifies this county's involvement in Vietnam.