RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:10 pm 
Political Junkie

At the same time, the United States can show and act on true concern for innocent Syrians by reversing the President’s inhumane policy of shutting America’s doors to Syrian refugees. According to the State Department, the United States resettled just over 3,000 Syrian refugees in all of 2017, compared to more than 15,000 in 2016. So far this year, the United States has admitted only 11. It is a moral outrage for our government to be turning these families away at the very moment we are furthering instability in their country with no clear plan to end the bloodshed.

[snip][end]

[snip] [end]

Heartbreaking that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

AIPAC stands for American Israel Public Affairs Committee.

It is not a PAC, despite the name. They do not give money to candidates. But they do lobby.

Like carmen, my views lean toward J Street. However, facts matter. :)

Here's J Street's position on the Syria attack.

http://jstreet.org/press-releases/j-str ... tOpZi_Mx7M

WASHINGTON — We are horrified by the crimes against humanity committed by the Assad regime in Syria. The world cannot stand by as a leader uses chemical weapons against his own people and has the blood of hundreds of thousands on his hands.

Last night’s strike was limited in scope, hitting targets tied to the gas attack outside Damascus, and the action had the support of a number of our allies.

However, a limited tactical strike does not form the basis of a strategy. Nor does the legitimacy of the target alone establish the legality of the action.

The Constitution of the United States vests war-making authority in the Congress. Congress needs to assert its responsibility in the coming weeks to ensure that before taking any further military action the President is required to obtain its consent. The administration must also place any such action within the context of a larger political and diplomatic strategy that secures international support.

At the same time, the United States can show and act on true concern for innocent Syrians by reversing the President’s inhumane policy of shutting America’s doors to Syrian refugees. According to the State Department, the United States resettled just over 3,000 Syrian refugees in all of 2017, compared to more than 15,000 in 2016. So far this year, the United States has admitted only 11. It is a moral outrage for our government to be turning these families away at the very moment we are furthering instability in their country with no clear plan to end the bloodshed.

[snip][end]

Reverse the policy? Hell, no. Trumpers don't want any more brown people here.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, supposedly Trump was deeply moved by the suffering from the gas attack. Not moved enough to actually HELP those affected, but by GOD, he was moved!

I don't see that this attack did any good at all.

"You would think that after 8 years of hearing allegations against Bill C and another 8 against President Obama you people would have learned that 90% of those types of allegations just aren't true."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/985546315248689153

Quote:
Amber Zirkelbach of Wooster, Mass., says, “I’m just thankful Syria didn’t bomb us for poisoning the children of Flint.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'm upset with Israel, and I'm all for a personal boycott of their goods and services to pressure them to be more civilized.

BUT, this Israel Anti-Boycott Act bill is being misinterpreted in the press. It's being attacked as being an unconstitutional infringement of free speech.

That bill does nothing of the sort. The bill could pass and I, any other person, and any political rights organization who wishes to could continue to boycott Israel to our hearts delight. Yeah, I'll be continuing to boycott Israel.

This bill regulates people engaged interstate or foreign commerce through the Export-Import Bank, an export credit agency of the federal government that they may not become involved in a boycott of Israel.

This bill is in effect the federal government asserting it's right that it may regulate foreign commerce as it sees fit, and continue to comply with treaties it has entered into with Israel. It is in effect a bill which states that an individual engaged foreign commerce, functioning through an arm of the government may not discriminate.

So I can boycott Israel, and at the same time see the reasonable aspect of this bill. It's complicated and on the surface it appears conflicted, but it is reasonable. :|
I dont agree with you about the boycott. But I respect your right to buy from whomever you want. (and when I read posts like yours I immediately go out and purchase more Israeli products :P ) But overall, I agree with you on your post. They have a right to do business with whomever they want, pretty much for any reason...but so do we. And now more than half the states have similar laws.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm 
Policy Wonk

At this point, we haven't done enough to limit Assad's chemical capabilities. This is one area where Obama failed...and Trump has not done a good job in Syria either. Typical Trump...A statement (in this case, again, pinpoint bombing) but no positive action to really deal with the situation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

At this point, we haven't done enough to limit Assad's chemical capabilities. This is one area where Obama failed...and Trump has not done a good job in Syria either. Typical Trump...A statement (in this case, again, pinpoint bombing) but no positive action to really deal with the situation.

When the gas is Chlorine it's kind of hard to deal with the situation. The gas can be produced by passing an electric current through a solution of brine. Once it has been compressed into a standard shipping cylinder it becomes what they call a barrel bomb when the cylinders valve is rigged to be broken off which allows the gas to escape rapidly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont agree with you about the boycott. But I respect your right to buy from whomever you want. (and when I read posts like yours I immediately go out and purchase more Israeli products :P ) But overall, I agree with you on your post. They have a right to do business with whomever they want, pretty much for any reason...but so do we. And now more than half the states have similar laws.

Appliances I'm probably going to get this year: a new microwave and a Sodastream. :)

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/american-firms-supplying-iraqs-chemical-weapons-production.html