RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't like that idea one bit. Bare land doesn't have a mind or an opinion. Alaska getting 16 Senators, California only 4. Hell let's keep it the way it is if that nonsense is the best idea you have.

Agreed. It wasn't a serious proposal - just a thought experiment to glen because of his adherence to the current system. I think we can agree the system of the Senate now is very unfair, when Vermont gets the same representation as California. It's one of the ways Republicans keeps power even though they cannot convince a majority of Americans that their way is the way to go. I came up with it to illustrate the fact that he wants his vote to count for more than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:48 am 
Board Emeritus

Do we know any liberals or progressives who want this shit? If there are, they're fucking idiots because this is just a way to cop a few more electoral votes for the GOP.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, my apologies for the redundancy, but I couldn't deal with reading three pages of this full of moronic comments by glen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 am 
Policy Wonk

California became a in what..1849? Before the Missouri Compromise and the One Slave State/One Free State idea.

When Republicans controlled California, there were no words about how wrong it was for California to have so many Representatives in the Congress. George Murphy and Sam Hayakawa were the hero's of the Party. The influence of the John Birch Society within the Republican Party was seldom if ever questioned.

The racism and anti-immigrant policies of the Republican Party and the likes Pete Wilson and John Briggs (Proposition 6, the "Briggs Initiative") did long lasting damage to the Republican Brand in California.

The only reason then Governor Ronald Reagan ever signed Gun Control Legislation is because the Black Panther Party for Self Defense became famous for parading around Oakland with Rifles and Pistols in full display. It was not about trying control the spread of firearms, it was about disarming Huey Newton and Eldridge Cleaver.

Splitting California will never happen. Republicans do have huge wet dream about doing so, thereby effectively ending the Democratic Party's power in California.

The Mid-Term Election is now a little over 200-Days Away. The oncoming Blue Wave is scaring the Republican Party. The California Republican Party is suddenly very aware of how small they are. In politics size counts, and with Asian-Americans, African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans registering as Democrats it is clear that the Republicans have to do something.

Republicans do not see message of Racism, Islamophobia and Homophobia, oh no not that. They blame anybody but themselves for their failures.

Having hitched their wagon to 45, and being so goddamn shit scared of the MAGA Minority in their party the Republicans face their self inflicted stupidity and have no clue what to do next.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

That was the way it our founding fathers meant for it to be...

Are you for fucking real? Our founding fathers also meant for it to be a country where it was fine for black people to be owned by white people. Our founding fathers also meant for it to be a country where it was fine for white people to commit genocide of red people.

I don't much give a shit what our founding fathers meant for the country to be. The primary reason why the Constitution is so fucked up is because we spend the majority of the time arguing over the "intentions" of the slave owning founders in the days before there were computers that could be hacked, and before there were gas operated automatic weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Agreed. It wasn't a serious proposal - just a thought experiment to glen because of his adherence to the current system. I think we can agree the system of the Senate now is very unfair, when Vermont gets the same representation as California. It's one of the ways Republicans keeps power even though they cannot convince a majority of Americans that their way is the way to go. I came up with it to illustrate the fact that he wants his vote to count for more than mine.

The House of Representative represents the interests of the population while the Senate representatives the interests of the states. And in-turn, they both serve as a check-and-balance against each other. The nation's founders realized large population states could easily overrule states with smaller populations in the Congress. If Senators were elected in the manner of Representatives it would mean states like New York and Massachusetts would have more Senators than South Carolina or Maryland. To prevent this problem they decided each state should be represented equally in the Senate. Therefore, New York and Massachusetts would have the same representation as South Carolina or Maryland. Doing so doesn't mean a person's vote in one state counts more than a person in another state but it is equal to each other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:05 am 
Board Emeritus

The House of Representative represents the interests of the population while the Senate representatives the interests of the states. And in-turn, they both serve as a check-and-balance against each other. The nation's founders realized large population states could easily overrule states with smaller populations in the Congress. If Senators were elected in the manner of Representatives it would mean states like New York and Massachusetts would have more Senators than South Carolina or Maryland. To prevent this problem they decided each state should be represented equally in the Senate. Therefore, New York and Massachusetts would have the same representation as South Carolina or Maryland. Doing so doesn't mean a person's vote in one state counts more than a person in another state but it is equal to each other.

I hope gou doesnt read this, as he seems to be so happy in his ignorance of how and why our Gov't wss set up.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are you for fucking real? Our founding fathers also meant for it to be a country where it was fine for black people to be owned by white people. Our founding fathers also meant for it to be a country where it was fine for white people to commit genocide of red people.

I don't much give a shit what our founding fathers meant for the country to be. The primary reason why the Constitution is so fucked up is because we spend the majority of the time arguing over the "intentions" of the slave owning founders in the days before there were computers that could be hacked, and before there were gas operated automatic weapons.

Agreed. The "intent of the founders" thing is very subjective, and it's been deconstructed for so long that we no longer know what the hell they had in mind beyond a written constitution with a federal-republic government precluding hereditary or religious titles of nobility. If I remember my history correctly, even that was Plan B, after Plan A (Articles of Confederation) failed miserably. By this point, we might as well be trying to understand the intent of Jesus.