RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am 
Board Emeritus

Well...you can't be reasoned with either, so I don't know how much this comment really means. :D

Either???

:lol:

Ike, the transitive phrasal verb "reasoned with" bespeaks of someone attempting to utilize shame to sway and persuade. In essence you've repeated what I said as if you were adding something new, and then said you don't know how much it really means as if your addition had somehow minimized my original statement of fact.

You're like a fellow who throws rocks in a pond while continuing to marvel over the fact that no matter how many times he's pitched in a stone it that they continue to sink beneath the water.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am 
Political Junkie

I don't believe I've seen this study in this thread

Two Thirds of Millennials Dont Know what Auschwitz is
Another point from the article, "Twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same."

Just this past Friday night, I had dinner with the children of holocaust survivors.... I remember as a child so many actual survivors, but now I only know a small number left. We have a lot to learn from them in how resilient humans can be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't believe I've seen this study in this thread

Two Thirds of Millennials Dont Know what Auschwitz is
Another point from the article, "Twenty-two percent of millennials in the poll said they haven’t heard of the Holocaust or are not sure whether they’ve heard of it — twice the percentage of U.S. adults as a whole who said the same."

Just this past Friday night, I had dinner with the children of holocaust survivors.... I remember as a child so many actual survivors, but now I only know a small number left. We have a lot to learn from them in how resilient humans can be.

The Washington Post's article in the title makes a big statement in the title, Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz is

I was curious about that poll and tracked it down. That lead statement is rather misleading once one sees how the question was asked. Was Auschwitz a:

(1) Concentration Camp
(2) Death/Extermination Camp
(3) Forced Labor Camp
(4) Not sure/Incorrect response

Auschwitz was all three of the first answers, the fact that it was a trick question clearly lead to 41% of adults and 66% of millennials choosing the "Not sure/Incorrect response" response. It does not give us any insight into what the younger generation thinks or has been taught in school.

In my estimation the poll was a push poll, and it's results are meaningless.

In addition to that Auschwitz question the Claims Conference people seems to be making an issue of how many young people still associate a word in the same way that older people did a half century ago.

A holocaust is a Jewish sacrificial offering consumed by fire, that's what it meant before THE Holocaust. I think it's well within the realm of possibility that these younger kids were taught in school about the slaughter of Jews on a mass scale using the term genocide, and that special usage of the term holocaust is fading.

The schools in the US still instruct students about the history but the way they describe it may be changing to encompass similarity with other examples of genocide.

One point I can use from that poll to illustrate the problem with that result that 66% of young people didn't know what Auschwitz like that was a huge deal that they were unable to deal with that trick question. But in another question 51% of those same young people were able to name a concentration camp or a ghetto.

Here's a link to that poll: http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content/upl ... y-2018.pdf

Here's a trick question, what is an Oswięcim?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Either???

:lol:

Ike, the transitive phrasal verb "reasoned with" bespeaks of someone attempting to utilize shame to sway and persuade. In essence you've repeated what I said as if you were adding something new, and then said you don't know how much it really means as if your addition had somehow minimized my original statement of fact.

You're like a fellow who throws rocks in a pond while continuing to marvel over the fact that no matter how many times he's pitched in a stone it that they continue to sink beneath the water.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm 
Political Junkie

The Washington Post's article in the title makes a big statement in the title, Two-thirds of millennials don’t know what Auschwitz is

I was curious about that poll and tracked it down. That lead statement is rather misleading once one sees how the question was asked. Was Auschwitz a:

(1) Concentration Camp
(2) Death/Extermination Camp
(3) Forced Labor Camp
(4) Not sure/Incorrect response

Auschwitz was all three of the first answers, the fact that it was a trick question clearly lead to 41% of adults and 66% of millennials choosing the "Not sure/Incorrect response" response. It does not give us any insight into what the younger generation thinks or has been taught in school.

In my estimation the poll was a push poll, and it's results are meaningless.

In addition to that Auschwitz question the Claims Conference people seems to be making an issue of how many young people still associate a word in the same way that older people did a half century ago.

A holocaust is a Jewish sacrificial offering consumed by fire, that's what it meant before THE Holocaust. I think it's well within the realm of possibility that these younger kids were taught in school about the slaughter of Jews on a mass scale using the term genocide, and that special usage of the term holocaust is fading.

The schools in the US still instruct students about the history but the way they describe it may be changing to encompass similarity with other examples of genocide.

One point I can use from that poll to illustrate the problem with that result that 66% of young people didn't know what Auschwitz like that was a huge deal that they were unable to deal with that trick question. But in another question 51% of those same young people were able to name a concentration camp or a ghetto.

Here's a link to that poll: http://cc-69bd.kxcdn.com/wp-content/upl ... y-2018.pdf

Here's a trick question, what is an Oswięcim?
Ah...I know that one. Polish for Auschwitz....(I'm always uncomfortable when I see signs for Oswięcim Beer.) Anyway, if that was the question, I'd have to agree that that result isn't so good. I'm surprised to see the WP take that poll then.

Jews largely have dropped the term "holocaust" in favor of "Shoah." But the name is much less significant than the lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Here is the testimony of Rudolf Hoess (commandant at Auschwitz/Birkenau)

http://www.campbellmgold.com/archive_es ... y_1946.pdf

I've read the testimony and have his book that he wrote prior to his execution in
Poland in 1946.

We can quibble about specific numbers but much of the defense of the Nazis
at Nuremberg indicted for crimes against humanity such as Goering, involves
their argument of the sheer impossibility of the scopes of the crimes but with
the death of the remaining survivors, the children of the generations that
followed are trying so very hard to defend their family crimes committed by
their own fathers and grandfathers.

It would then seem to mention Santayaya's famous notion of not learning from
the mistakes of history, that our ignorant millennials will end up repeating
the same mistakes of their grandfathers, justifying the faith of the Nazis that
future generations will not believe the scopes of the crimes.