RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am 
Board Emeritus

ONE-THIRD OF AMERICANS DON'T BELIEVE 6 MILLION JEWS WERE MURDERED DURING THE HOLOCAUST
http://www.newsweek.com/one-third-ameri ... ust-883513

Updated | One-third of Americans think “substantially less” than 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust, according to a new survey that highlights a worrying lack of basic knowledge about the World War II-era genocide.

[snip]

31 percent of the Americans surveyed, and 41 percent of millennials within that group, do not believe that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust and think the real death toll is at least 2 million lower.

[snip]

Almost half (45 percent) of Americans were unable to name a single concentration camp, and the number was even worse for millennials (49 percent). Two-thirds (66 percent) of millennials were unable to explain what Auschwitz was. The death camp is one of the most infamous that existed in Nazi-ruled Europe, and its name has become synonymous with the genocide.

15 percent thought people should be allowed to display Nazi slogans or symbols today, while 11 percent said it is acceptable to hold neo-Nazi views.

These figures are especially concerning given the reported rise in hate group numbers, activity and confidence in recent years. A February report from the Southern Poverty Law Center claimed that the number of hate groups in the U.S. has increased by 20 percent over the past three years. The number of neo-Nazi groups increased from 99 in 2016 to 121 in 2017, the center said.

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am 
Policy Wonk

Willful ignorance is very ugly.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

Before the 2016 election, I wouldn't have believed these figures. Ignorance has always been with us, but the depth of it, and the numbers of people who are--frightening. Back when I was growing up, and certain kinds of racism were accepted--even then, Nazis were not normalized like they seem to be now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not surprising. Sixty-three million assholes voted for Trump. Forty percent of Americans are asshole Trump supporters. Of course 40% of Americans are holocaust deniers. The country is basucally half full of assholes. But I must disagree. Ignorance has nothing to do with it. Bigotry has everything to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not surprising. Sixty-three million assholes voted for Trump. Forty percent of Americans are asshole Trump supporters. Of course 40% of Americans are holocaust deniers. The country is basucally half full of assholes. But I must disagree. Ignorance has nothing to do with it. Bigotry has everything to do with it.

Were you born an asshole or did your parents get you private lessons?

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:44 pm 
Policy Wonk

It's also the notion of the big lie for the Nazis believed in the 40's that future generations
would not believe the stories after the survivors had passed. This notion is not restricted
to the holocaust for we've had many threads on the lost cause on this board.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not surprising although I personally believe the numbers cited are somewhat high. Next up thanks to so many people referring to those they are politically opposed to as "Nazi's" will be people not knowing just how terrible Nazi's were.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not surprising although I personally believe the numbers cited are somewhat high. Next up thanks to so many people referring to those they are politically opposed to as "Nazi's" will be people not knowing just how terrible Nazi's were.

You believe the numbers are high? Where do you get that? Do you believe Eisenhower was a liar?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

To be fair, GoU, I believe he's saying the poll numbers are too high - he's not agreeing with those polled who thought the #'s of people killed in the Holocaust are too high.

(BTW, the generally accepted total is 11 million, around 6 million Jews, and 5 million others, Gypsies, gays, Communists, Slavs, dissidents, etc. But they were only asking about Jewish victims.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

To be fair, GoU, I believe he's saying the poll numbers are too high - he's not agreeing with those polled who thought the #'s of people killed in the Holocaust are too high.

Of, if so, my bad. Apologies and retraction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

There is film footage of the US Army and Brits at Belsen and Dachau but the holocaust
deniers simply have to read the sworn testimony of Ohlendorf and Hoess at Nuremberg.
Hoess (the commandant at Auschwitz) described in matter of fact detail how it was
done. The faculties at Auschwitz still stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlHzY8UTNs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have only been to Terezinstadt, which is in the Czech Republic. That was the Germans' "show camp" for the Red Cross.

My dad (may he RIP) went on the March of the Living to Auschwitz, when he went to Poland in 2001. My great grandmother was executed and cremated in Auschwitz during the Holocaust, at the dangerous age of 95. (We know this for a fact. Not just "family traditions". My father met a woman who survived and was in the camp of Auschwitz with her.) Other relatives as well. As I've said a few times, our family members that survived largely went to either the U.S. or to (what was then the Mandate of) Palestine in the 20s and 30s.

I have been to Yad Vashem in Israel, and the Smithsonian U.S. Holocaust Memorial museum. Both are excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

You believe the numbers are high? Where do you get that? Do you believe Eisenhower was a liar?

I don't believe the deniers number is as high as cited in the OP.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't believe the deniers number is as high as cited in the OP.

You also say you don't believe there's an white nationalism in the Republican Party.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

You also say you don't believe there's an white nationalism in the Republican Party.

If you are trying to say I am a denier or don't believe there were 6,000,000 Jews murdered you are wrong as usual. What I am saying is the number of Americans denying the holocost is IMO much lower than the numbers posted.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you are trying to say I am a denier or don't believe there were 6,000,000 Jews murdered you are wrong as usual. What I am saying is the number of Americans denying the holocost is IMO much lower than the numbers posted.

You are wrong, white nationalism is very strong in the south, and denying the Holocaust is part of that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

You are wrong, white nationalism is very strong in the south, and denying the Holocaust is part of that.

That is just your own personal prejudice showing through, believing the old stereotypes.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Were you born an asshole or did your parents get you private lessons?

Fuck off confederate trumper.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

ONE-THIRD OF AMERICANS DON'T BELIEVE 6 MILLION JEWS WERE MURDERED DURING THE HOLOCAUST
http://www.newsweek.com/one-third-ameri ... ust-883513

Updated | One-third of Americans think “substantially less” than 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust, according to a new survey that highlights a worrying lack of basic knowledge about the World War II-era genocide.

[snip]

31 percent of the Americans surveyed, and 41 percent of millennials within that group, do not believe that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust and think the real death toll is at least 2 million lower.

[snip]

Almost half (45 percent) of Americans were unable to name a single concentration camp, and the number was even worse for millennials (49 percent). Two-thirds (66 percent) of millennials were unable to explain what Auschwitz was. The death camp is one of the most infamous that existed in Nazi-ruled Europe, and its name has become synonymous with the genocide.

15 percent thought people should be allowed to display Nazi slogans or symbols today, while 11 percent said it is acceptable to hold neo-Nazi views.

These figures are especially concerning given the reported rise in hate group numbers, activity and confidence in recent years. A February report from the Southern Poverty Law Center claimed that the number of hate groups in the U.S. has increased by 20 percent over the past three years. The number of neo-Nazi groups increased from 99 in 2016 to 121 in 2017, the center said.

[snip][end]

If 1/3rd believe that fewer than 6,000,000 Jews were killed that would indicate that the numbers of deniers are well under 1/3rd of the overall population.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

Fuck off confederate trumper.

It was a rhetorical question. As everyone here knows you are a flaming asshole and the way you came about it doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tell us glen...tell us all about how white American christian Trump voters all across the fruited plain, from sea to shining sea, respect and appreciate their Jew fellow Americans.

Aw come on Ike. They think Jews are OK...except for the Jew smell.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tell us glen...tell us all about how white American christian Trump voters all across the fruited plain, from sea to shining sea, respect and appreciate their Jew fellow Americans.

As come on Ike. They think Jews are OK...except for the Jew smell.

What a horrible thing to believe about people. Making you no different or no better than those you hate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

What a horrible thing to believe about people. Making you no different or no better than those you hate.

What the fuck do you know about growing up a Jew in this fucking country. Not a fucking thing. How many times do you think I heard about how those Jews smell?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

One thing glen doesn't seem to have the capacity to do, is to put himself into other people's shoes and look at something from their point of view. He only cares about HIS point of view.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

If 1/3rd believe that fewer than 6,000,000 Jews were killed that would indicate that the numbers of deniers are well under 1/3rd of the overall population.

Understood ... but the purpose of this poll was to examine knowledge of the Holocaust, not how many people deny it entirely as an event.

A 1994 Roper poll found that "committed" deniers were only about 2 percent of the poll.