Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/r ... spartanntp

Having never served I don't know how DI's really conducted themselves. However Ermey's character from Full Metal Jacket is the way people like me imagined they did.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 pm 
Policy Wonk

Yeah I just saw this myself.

RIP Gunny.

"Liberalism demonstrated at its very finest."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm 

RIP Gunney.
I went to basic in 1989. The DI's couldn't physically hit us at the time. (Well they weren't supposed to) Back in the Vietnam era they could. Other than that Emory's DI portrayal was exactly like my DIs. DIs are some of the funniest mofos ever. My first week at basic a DI walked past us and a recruit nodded at him. The DI stopped and said "what are you nodding at? I didn't ask you a question. And if I did ask you a question you better answer me not just nod." The recruit said "I was just acknowledging you Seargent." The DI said "you don't need to fucking acknowledge me I know I'm here." I did a lot of push ups cuz I laughed so hard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

May he RIP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

He was a DI above everything else. So, of course, he said shit to the maggots in "Full Metal Jacket" that was said to me word for word.

"Bana, are you a peter pumper? Do you suck dicks?"

"Sir, no sir!!!"

"Bullshit, you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose."

I really liked his role as House's old man.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

Watching that movie, I could have sworn my Drill Sergeant was right there.

"Do you like me private?"

"Yes Drill Sergeant."

"Really, well liking leads to loving and loving leads to fucking, do you want to fuck me?"

"NO! Drill Sergeant."

"What, I'm not good enough to fuck you private...?"

I did push-up until he got tired.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was surprised to see he was only 74; I thought he was in his 80s or older. He definitely imprinted on us the movie image of what a DI is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was surprised to see he was only 74; I thought he was in his 80s or older. He definitely imprinted on us the movie image of what a DI is.

Im assuming you do know that's because he was a Marine Corps DI in his actual life. His performance in Full Metal Jacket was one of the exceedingly rare times that Kubrick did not take control over every word, every inflection, pretty much every aspect of a performance. Kubrick just gave Ermey the plot situation and cut him loose to run his platoon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Im assuming you do know that's because he was a Marine Corps DI in his actual life. His performance in Full Metal Jacket was one of the exceedingly rare times that Kubrick did not take control over every word, every inflection, pretty much every aspect of a performance. Kubrick just gave Ermey the plot situation and cut him loose to run his platoon.

Yes, I did know he used to be a DI.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, I did know he used to be a DI.

Every time I watch the film it takes me right back there. It was that accurate. What Kubrick couldn't do was communicate how it felt on a visceral individual level. It was like i was dropped on another planet where nothing is the same, nothing means what it meant on the outside, including how you relate to other human beings. And the pressure is fucking unrelenting. There is no down time, no time during the whole series of training days when you can take a deep breath and relax. The stress and pressure was crushing and it never let up. I remember the first shower I took after it was all over. I just stood there with the hot water beating down on me for what must have been two hours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

he was also Jack Black's boyfriend in that Neil Diamond movie, he fit in pretty much all over the place comedy horror, drama, with his unique personality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Every time I watch the film it takes me right back there. It was that accurate. What Kubrick couldn't do was communicate how it felt on a visceral individual level. It was like i was dropped on another planet where nothing is the same, nothing means what it meant on the outside, including how you relate to other human beings. And the pressure is fucking unrelenting. There is no down time, no time during the whole series of training days when you can take a deep breath and relax. The stress and pressure was crushing and it never let up. I remember the first shower I took after it was all over. I just stood there with the hot water beating down on me for what must have been two hours.

Compared to Army or Marine boot camp, my time in AF basic training like being at summer camp. We didn't have half the shit you guy put up with. Our TI (technical instructor), your DI, did everything he needed to do to get us trained but there were a lot of times in the evening when we'd be given liberty to go to the BX or the rec center. Weekends, we'd have downtime to get our barracks squared away, go to the BX, or just relax. Like I said, a big difference between Army and Marine boot camp and AF basic training.