RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm bringing up local news articles which are about a national news story.

I received a press release from the Maraposa County Sheriff Office in my son's backpack when he came home from school.

Quote:
On the morning ot Aprial 10, 2018 the Sheriff's office learned that the Mariposa County Unified School District Superintendents Office (MCUSD) received an email from an unknown person who threatened to bring a gun and bombs to school to harm students and staff. The email MCUSD received was generic and did not include specific school [site*] details. MCUSD contacted the Sheriff's office immediately after receiving the email.

Yesterday multiple school districts throughout California received generalized email threats that were made from a known hacking group called AposhiSquad. At this time the Maraposa County Sheriff Office believes MCUSD was one of those districts. The email MCUSD received is identical to the others received by other school districts.

The AposhiSquad group has been targeting schools in the United Kingdom over the past few weeks and has announced that they are starting to target schools in the United States. AposhiSquad claims to be a "Team of people running around the internet" based in Braubunden Switzerland, according to their Twitter page.

The Maraposa County Sheriff Office does not have any information at this time that this email threat is credible and actually targeted at MCUSD schools. With the information we have, there is no reason to believe that anyone's safety is threatened at any of the school sites in Maraposa County. At this time our investigation points to this current threat as just one of many unfounded threats received nationwide in the recent months.

The Maraposa County Sheriff Office and the FBI are continuing to investigate.

* I corrected the text replacing the word "sight" with [site*] to improve context.

This can be found here:

https://www.mariposa.k12.ca.us/

And here:

https://www.facebook.com/mariposacounty ... jw&fref=nf

This local TV station story link has an error, so I'm using the cache link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

I've quoted some of the story below:

Quote:
MARIPOSA, Calif. (FOX26) —
A group known for sending out bogus school threats around the world has now targeted a local school district.

-----

The group's Twitter account has since been closed.

Members of the group compete to see who can cause the most evacuations worldwide.

Schools across the Bay Area and Northern California received the emails on Monday.

The emails claim to be from a bullied student. "Threats that someone was going to come to a school and shoot students and faculty at the school," said Captain Oliver Collins with the Emeryville Police Department.

------

By Tuesday, the threats reached Mariposa County.

------

On Twitter, the group bragged about the media attention it was receiving, saying "Told ya this would happen" and "Our emails are hitting the media."

The FBI confirms it is looking into the group's activity.

In a statement by the FBI, it says it is coordinating with local law enforcement and the affected school districts. The FBI is investigating the origin of the threats to determine their credibility."

------

We've learned at least 46 states in the U.S. have received emails from the group.

Googling AposhiSquad doesn't bring up anything but local story links. :|

Rakaposhi is a mountain in the Karakoram mountain range in Northern Pakistan. It is situated in the middle of Nagar Valley Nagar District and Danyore and Bagrote valley approximately 100 km (62 mi) north of the capital city Gilgit of the semi autonomous Gilgit-Baltistan region of Northern Pakistan. Rakaposhi means "Snow Covered" in the local language. Rakaposhi is also known as Dumani ("Mother of Mist" or "Mother of Clouds"). It is ranked 27th highest in the world and 12th highest in Pakistan. :|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think some of these folks seem to think calling in fake bomb or shooting threats to a school is a funny prank.

They're wrong. What they are doing isn't funny, and is a crime. All threats are investigated, and if they aren't real, are still a massive waste of time and resources as, by precaution, there is almost always an evacuation. Plus tons of puzzled, frightened kids. Of course, if they really are doing it from outside the U.S., locating & prosecuting them could be difficult.

I'm sure they know that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

They arrested one of them in England, but beyond it having been mentioned in a local article here I don't know any details.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm 
Policy Wonk

its the kind of thing that affects priorities in spending and politics there are benefactors in these areas, could it be priming of the pump?