All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/18/us/puert ... index.html

Quote:
Puerto Rico has suffered an island-wide power outage, Puerto Rico's power authority said Wednesday -- nearly seven months after Hurricane Maria destroyed much of the island's infrastructure and its electrical grid.

The authority said it estimates power will be restored within 24 to 36 hours. The cause of the blackout is unclear.

The massive outage comes less than a week after a fallen tree knocked out service to 870,000 customers, about half the power authority's clients, across a broad swath of the US territory.

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, a frequent critic of recovery efforts since the September hurricane, tweeted Wednesday: "The entire electrical system in Puerto Rico collapses AGAIN! Back to September 20."

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

I feel for those folks a friend of mine who lives in NJ is from there they can't catch a break it's one bad thing after another.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Trump administration has hung the people of Puerto Rico out to dry and twist in the wind. There are many people on the island who are still without fresh running water and power seven fucking months after the hurricane. There are Puerto Ricans dead who would otherwise be alive today if Donald Trump wasn't a spic hating bigot. Probably more dead than in Assad's gas attack.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

crap

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

crap

Yep. And now we're going to send a bunch of National Guard down to the Mexican Border, when there's some actual help that could be provided to the people of Puerto Rico. Hanging power lines and digging trenches for water lines isn't fucking rocket science or neuro-surgery...people in uniform can probably manage such stuff just fine. (Although when I was in the Marine Corps and saw guys wearing Marine utilities in the helicopter hangar replacing blades on the Huey's, I made a vow to myself that whenever I see a Marine helicopter fire up it's engines I might want to consider immediately removing myself from the area. Ya can't be too careful.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Heard the power is now back on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes and no. Depends on location. Also the system is not fault tolerant at all, and one falling tree can knock out millions of people. My understanding is that the drumpf administration sweetheart deal to an inexperienced contractor to restore service isn't working out all that well.

Hi Izzy!

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

some power is back on...i read some dozer or backhoe knocked a major line down.

yes..meanwhile groper wants to send our military to sit on asses along the mex border
when they could be helping the Rican island people that are US CITIZENS.

fuck this admin so busy padding their own pockets.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

the world will kindly remember this woman as well they should.
the continental US cannot say the same for its current pol inhabitants.

http://time.com/collection/most-influen ... ulin-cruz/
CARMEN YULIN-CRUZ
by Benicio Del Toro

In September 2017, just over 100 years since every Puerto Rican became an American citizen, Hurricane Maria destroyed most of the island, killing more than 1,000 people and leaving thousands without shelter, food, water and power.

The federal help that arrived was not prepared to meet the magnitude of the emergency. The problems of the people on the island quickly became, in many cases, a matter of life and death. On an island where 3.4 million American citizens live without the right to vote for their President and without representation in the U.S. Congress, it seemed impossible to reach the ears of the decision makers in Washington, D.C.

From the chaos, delays and indecision, a shout for help was heard. The mayor of San Juan, Carmen Yulín Cruz, became the voice of the disenfranchised citizens. She was passionate, courageous and articulate. And little by little, her words got the crisis the attention it desperately needs, just as if it were happening in Florida or Texas.

Cruz’s legacy will be marked by her uncompromising refusal to let anyone ignore the lives of those affected by the hurricane. For this we are forever grateful.

Del Toro, who was born in Puerto Rico, is an Oscar-winning actor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

Widespread power outage persists in Puerto Rico

Quote:
Subcontractor for Cobra Acquisitions caused outage

In another blow to its recovery efforts, an island-wide power outage left most of Puerto Rico in the dark, with only a fraction of residents regaining electricity by Wednesday night.

The latest blackout prompted Gov. Ricardo Rossello to call on the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) to cancel its contract with the subcontractor that caused the massive outage.

"I have suggested to the PREPA Board of Directors that they cancel the contract with the Cobra subcontractor who is directly responsible for this power outage," he said in a statement Wednesday.

An excavator operated by D. Grimm, a subcontractor for Cobra Acquisitions, apparently caused the blackout, according to the authority. Workers had been removing a fallen tower when the machine got too close to an energized line and an electrical ground fault caused the outage, according to Mammoth Energy, Cobra's parent

The same company was responsible for an outage that affected 870,000 customers after a tree fell on a power line last week, PREPA said.

"This is the second power failure that has ...............

one of the reminders of the austerity driven reality of technology versus the futuristic Utopian visions we all get. as long as austerity rules people hearts and lives this is the best it will get. same for health care, self driving cars or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep. And now we're going to send a bunch of National Guard down to the Mexican Border, when there's some actual help that could be provided to the people of Puerto Rico. Hanging power lines and digging trenches for water lines isn't fucking rocket science or neuro-surgery...people in uniform can probably manage such stuff just fine. (Although when I was in the Marine Corps and saw guys wearing Marine utilities in the helicopter hangar replacing blades on the Huey's, I made a vow to myself that whenever I see a Marine helicopter fire up it's engines I might want to consider immediately removing myself from the area. Ya can't be too careful.)

I would think they could staff a mental heath facility better.

Backhoes dig trenches.

A crew of 5 experienced linemen can take a green hand out into the field and in about six weeks time be getting more work from the new hand than it takes from the experienced linemen to supervise him, or her. Much of that time is needed to build fitness in the right muscle groups and to instill balance and trained situational response. A person has to be trained to not just reach out and grab things. Every move has to be thought out ahead of time and that begins with being taught what to think.

The idea that national guard unit could just go there and do it because it "isn't fucking rocket science or neuro-surgery" leaves just one problem unresolved, where should they ship the corpses.