It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Senate Race in Tennessee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seems like a no-brainer to me:

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) offered warm words on Wednesday for the Democrat vying to take his seat, estimating that former Gov. Phil Bredesen is six percentage points ahead of GOP rival Rep. Marsha Blackburn.

After reiterating a vow that he would not campaign against Bredesen, Corker also declared that there's "no question" the Democrat would "have crossover appeal" in November's closely watched race to succeed him.

"I think he’s got real appeal," the retiring Corker said of Bredesen, describing the Democrat as "a friend of mine" and a productive partner for more than two decades.

On the other hand, Marsha Blackburn hash tags "IstandwithTrump" and makes her unwavering and unquestioning support of Donald Trump the heart of her campaign.

So, if you're someone who says they do NOT support President Trump, the choice is clear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Republicans in the state legislature are helping Democrats get out the vote.

Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing statue of Confederate and KKK leader

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 6ec3073304

Quote:
“This is one of the most vile, racist acts I’ve seen happen in the legislature,” state Rep. Antonio Parkinson (D), who represents Memphis, told The Washington Post on Wednesday. Parkinson is part of the majority-black population of Memphis.

U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) blasted the amendment.

“From Scopes Monkey Trial, to 10 Commandments resolution of ’96, & now to punishment of Memphis for removing statues that honor leaders of the Confederacy, the TN House of Representatives sadly continues to embarrass Tennessee across the nation,” Cohen wrote Wednesday on Twitter.

Parkinson was joined by House Democrats and several Republicans in opposition to what they called a punitive measure after the December statue removals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 am 
Board Emeritus

Actually, that will help get out the racist base for the Republicans. I see you don't understand how Tennessee works. Do you think removing the statues was popular in Tennessee? Do you REALLY?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am waiting to see what the Democrats do after they win the House and Senate. I believe they will do very little between then and the general. As they will put party over country and not be willing to do anything that will jeopardize the majority along with the WH they should have after 2020.

Now after the 2020 election will be when things get interesting. As they attempt to appease their base without alienating the other 65%-70% of the voters. In other words winning total power will be the easy part. Governing in todays internet world which gives a very loud voice to the minority is not only very difficult, it proved an impossible task for the GOP.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am waiting to see what the Democrats do after they win the House and Senate. I believe they will do very little between then and the general. As they will put party over country and not be willing to do anything that will jeopardize the majority along with the WH they should have after 2020.

Now after the 2020 election will be when things get interesting. As they attempt to appease their base without alienating the other 65%-70% of the voters. In other words winning total power will be the easy part. Governing in todays internet world which gives a very loud voice to the minority is not only very difficult, it proved an impossible task for the GOP.

Republicans have never been interested in governing. They want to destroy our government, not run it. Oh, and plunder all the money from the government and taxpayer while they are at it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Actually, that will help get out the racist base for the Republicans. I see you don't understand how Tennessee works. Do you think removing the statues was popular in Tennessee? Do you REALLY?

I've seen polls which suggest it is popular.

It's one of those issues which due to peer pressure is hard to sort out. When one side is very vocal it's hard to measure the other side. But it is pretty apparent that underlying that dominate bunch of asshole there are white people who along with all most all of the Black people who are glad that those statues are gone.

GoUnion In some sense of it what you posted in the OP about those six percentage points suggests that it's true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

Retiring Senator Bob Corker (R-TN) has refused to say if he would support 45 in 2020 Presidential Election.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bob-corker ... s-running/.

Corker has been a vocal critic of 45.

Corker is also refusing to campaign against former Governor Phil Bredesen (Democrat) in the race to fill Corker's seat in the U.S. Senate. Republican Marsha Blackburn (Republican), Bredesen's opponent is a 45 supporter and proud of it.

Corker wants to see who might be running against 45, current John Kasich, Republican of Ohio is making noise about challenging der GroppenFuhrer in 2020 Primaries.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 pm 
Policy Wonk

I am waiting to see what the Democrats do after they win the House and Senate.

Since when do you live in Tennessee glen?

Wait and see, an old and some torn cop out. You won't do shit and you know it.

You will continue to give you wink/wink nudge/nudge support to 45 and you know it. As long as there is a Republican in the White House, even one who is Russian Asset you do not care. You will continue to put party before country.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've seen polls which suggest it is popular.

It's one of those issues which due to peer pressure is hard to sort out. When one side is very vocal it's hard to measure the other side. But it is pretty apparent that underlying that dominate bunch of asshole there are white people who along with all most all of the Black people who are glad that those statues are gone.

GoUnion In some sense of it what you posted in the OP about those six percentage points suggests that it's true.

There's a few whites in Tennessee who were for taking the statues down, but not very many. The voting habits show that. And, the actions of the legislature show the Republicans believe what they are doing is popular with their voters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's a difference glen. It's a difference in party policy. Republican party policy victimizes almost everybody but wealthy whites people

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

Sounds like a race between a Trump Republican and more traditional Republican (blue dog). Anyone but
Marsha Blackburn..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's a difference glen. It's a difference in party policy. Republican party policy victimizes almost everybody but wealthy whites people

I am thinking more along the lines that we have two camps one on the far right the other on the far left. Both make up about 30% of their parties base with the rest somewhere in the middle. Both camps are pretty much 100% alike. They both want 100% victory 100% of the time and have zero tolerance for any compromise anytime.

The GOP delivered as much as they could to their 30%. In doing so they alienated close to 70% of the country. Then as an added bonus those in that 30% are also unhappy with the GOP because they didn't get 100% of what they wanted 100% of the time.

Now, as hard as it is for people on the left to see it, the 30% in the Democratic Party camp are exactly the same. If they don't get 100% of what they want 100% of the time they will be unhappy with the DNC. If the DNC delivers for that 30% the same way the GOP did the other 70% of the country will be upset.

Bottomline, governing in todays internet-talk radio world is almost impossible.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sounds like a race between a Trump Republican and more traditional Republican (blue dog). Anyone but
Marsha Blackburn..

Many if not most of the Democrats who have won since the general election have run as moderate republicans. Which dovetails into my other thought. How can they get away with running as moderates, then legislate as liberals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Many if not most of the Democrats who have won since the general election have run as moderate republicans. Which dovetails into my other thought. How can they get away with running as moderates, then legislate as liberals.

No, they legislate as moderates. It's funny - you've trolled the unions that the Dems didn't pass card check, and now you say they legislate as liberals?

You just make it up as you go along...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Marsha Blackburn..

Bredesen was a moderate as Governor and is well thought the state. He has a good shot at the job. How he conducts himself if elected is yet to be seen. I highly doubt that he will change. If he gets the job he won't keep it for more than a term in this state if he doesn't legislate as a moderate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am thinking more along the lines that we have two camps one on the far right the other on the far left. Both make up about 30% of their parties base with the rest somewhere in the middle. Both camps are pretty much 100% alike. They both want 100% victory 100% of the time and have zero tolerance for any compromise anytime.

The GOP delivered as much as they could to their 30%. In doing so they alienated close to 70% of the country. Then as an added bonus those in that 30% are also unhappy with the GOP because they didn't get 100% of what they wanted 100% of the time.

Now, as hard as it is for people on the left to see it, the 30% in the Democratic Party camp are exactly the same. If they don't get 100% of what they want 100% of the time they will be unhappy with the DNC. If the DNC delivers for that 30% the same way the GOP did the other 70% of the country will be upset.

Bottomline, governing in todays internet-talk radio world is almost impossible.

I would agree with your summation in all but in the percentages. For the GOP that 30% number seems about right, perhaps as high as 35%.

For the Democrats lower the far left factor down to 15%, maybe 20% at most.

Also the DNC shows little interest in delivering for their 15% to 20% in the same way that the GOP delivered for their 30% to 35%.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:38 am 
Board Emeritus

Bredesen was a moderate as Governor and is well thought the state. He has a good shot at the job. How he conducts himself if elected is yet to be seen. I highly doubt that he will change. If he gets the job he won't keep it for more than a term in this state if he doesn't legislate as a moderate.

But you will be voting for Marsha Blackburn, Donald Trump's rubber stamp. Which proves that you support Trump more than you say you do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Since when do you live in Tennessee glen?

Wait and see, an old and some torn cop out. You won't do shit and you know it.

You will continue to give you wink/wink nudge/nudge support to 45 and you know it. As long as there is a Republican in the White House, even one who is Russian Asset you do not care. You will continue to put party before country.

Dear asshole unless i am mistaken nobody who has commented on this thread lives in Tennessee. As for 45 i voted for HRC as for party over country you are the one party guy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Dear asshole unless i am mistaken nobody who has commented on this thread lives in Tennessee. As for 45 i voted for HRC as for party over country you are the one party guy.

Joe Memphis i believe is the only Tennessee resident

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 am 
Board Emeritus

As for 45 i voted for HRC as for party over country you are the one party guy.

Like anybody believes this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:09 am 
Policy Wonk

Like anybody believes this.

As often as glen has defended 45, I really do not believe for one second he voted HRC. glen is a Racist/Islamophobic Republican. He fully supports and defends keeping 45 in White House, even though 45 is being treated as an asset by Putin. 45 has sexually abused Women, 45 is serial adulterer and he is a Misogynist who perved out on a 10-Year Old Girl.

glen is proven liar and has posted so many lies I have lost count. For him to say he voted for Democrat, any Democrat is lie and he knows it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 am 
Board Emeritus

I believe glen voted for Clinton. I further believe that both glen and Joe were genuinely aghast when Trump won. However, since then they've reverted to their Republican-First and routinely carry his water, attacking the Dems and ignoring his administration's massive corruption and defending him in a very passive/aggressive manner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

As often as glen has defended 45, I really do not believe for one second he voted HRC. glen is a Racist/Islamophobic Republican. He fully supports and defends keeping 45 in White House, even though 45 is being treated as an asset by Putin. 45 has sexually abused Women, 45 is serial adulterer and he is a Misogynist who perved out on a 10-Year Old Girl.

glen is proven liar and has posted so many lies I have lost count. For him to say he voted for Democrat, any Democrat is lie and he knows it.

Wrong again as usual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

As much as I respect you GoU, I do not for once single, solitary minute believe glen would have voted for a Democrat, muchless HRC.

I have no real reason to believe glen did vote for HRC, other his word which based on his past history of lying means nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

As Don Blankenship sinks slowly in West Virginia.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/ ... ary-546410.

Convicted Murderer and Republican Candidate for the U.S. Senate from West Virginia Don Blankenship has started to sink the polls.

Blankenship who spent a year in prison after the deaths of over 20-Miners in mine explosion in 2010 is falling further in recent polls.

GOP Representative Evan Jenkins and Republican Attorney General Patrick Morrisey (both more main stream Candidates than Blankenship) lead Blankenship in recent polls.

As it stands Jenkins is leading in the polls with 24%, with Patrick Morrisey at 20% and Blankenship at a distant 12%.

Blankenship garnered support early on, even with his conviction.

As the West Virginia Primary looms, voters appear to be having second thoughts.