RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

That fear of losing status deal is nothing more than a LW meme, that is total bullshit.

Oh OK...got it. Whatever you say einstein.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 pm 
Political Junkie

Every once in awhile ......These are the kind of conversations i love to read. 8-)

Thank you all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status
https://politicalwire.com/2018/04/24/tr ... ng-status/

New York Times: “A study published on Monday… is the latest to suggest that Trump voters weren’t driven by anger over the past, but rather fear of what may come. White, Christian and male voters, the study suggests, turned to Mr. Trump because they felt their status was at risk.”

Said author Diana Mutz: “It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel. It’s not a threat to their own economic well-being; it’s a threat to their group’s dominance in our country over all.”

“Losing a job or income between 2012 and 2016 did not make a person any more likely to support Mr. Trump… Neither did the mere perception that one’s financial situation had worsened. A person’s opinion on how trade affected personal finances had little bearing on political preferences. Neither did unemployment or the density of manufacturing jobs in one’s area.”

[snip][end]

The vote for Trump was not driven by a supposed lack of economic message. Trump voters did not vote out of economic anxiety.

The main driver of the Trump vote was a perceived loss of status and privilege, for themselves as white, Christian males.

So, tell me whatever you want about how to win back Trump voters, but the one thing I don't want my party to do, is to imitate a conman who exploited mythical and irrational fears.

I could not find the actual study. But I did find a link to a similar study. https://www.prri.org/research/white-wor ... ald-trump/

I scanned it and have not read through it thouroughly. You might find it interesting as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 am 
Board Emeritus

I could not find the actual study. But I did find a link to a similar study. https://www.prri.org/research/white-wor ... ald-trump/

I scanned it and have not read through it thouroughly. You might find it interesting as well.

Is this study going to help us determine if we still need to wait and see if this deranged animal is unfit for the office?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 am 
Board Emeritus

I could not find the actual study.

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

It appears in its entirety, with footnotes, graphs, abstract, methodology, bibliography, authors, etc. here.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/04/18/1718155115

Your other study is, of course, also interesting, and relevant to its thesis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

It appears in its entirety, with footnotes, graphs, abstract, methodology, bibliography, authors, etc. here.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/04/18/1718155115

Your other study is, of course, also interesting, and relevant to its thesis.

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 pm 
Policy Wonk

We Are Republican Teachers Striking in Arizona. It’s Time to Raise Taxes.

Quote:
Tens of thousands of teachers are walking out of their schools in Arizona on Thursday. Arizona is the latest conservative state with protesters demanding an increase in teacher salaries and more resources for students. In this video op-ed, four conservative teachers lament the conditions in their classrooms and, in turn, wrestle with their political beliefs.

“I’m a die-hard Republican, and I’m dying inside,” says Allison Ryal-Bagley, an elementary school substitute teacher. “Republicans aren’t taking care of our kids.”

Over the last decade, Arizona has had the greatest decrease in per-student spending in the country — a 36.6 percent drop since 2008 — making it 48th in the nation. Arizona also ranks 43rd in teacher pay, at nearly $11,000 less than the national average, according to the National Education Association.

William Kimsey, who teaches English, is fed up and...........

and thats just the republicans

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:39 pm 
Policy Wonk

Betsy DeVos gets standing ovation from Florida graduates after religious speech

Quote:
...............The Michigan billionaire also invoked religious teachings to illustrate a lesson in governance. She reminded the audience of the Gospel story of when Jesus urged his unwilling disciples to feed the hungry.

“Ever-growing government has inserted itself into relationships, making folks less connected and more insulated from the needs of others,” she said. “Jesus didn’t instruct the disciples to lobby the Roman Empire for more food assistance. He said, ‘You do it.’”.

Many graduates said they enjoyed DeVos’ speech and knew of only a minority of students who objected to their university’s invitation.

“I thought it was honestly beautifully done,” said theology major Patricia Nichols. “It was tasteful.”

Andre Antoine, a business administration major, described DeVos’ words as “empowering” and “motivational.”

“I feel like I was brought to enlightenment,” he said.

But Noell McMahon, a literature major, said she was disappointed by the speech, which she felt focused too heavily on the importance of service – a value that has already been deeply ingrained into each Ave Maria student, she said.

“I expected more inspirational advice,” she said.

Nichols, Antoine, McMahon and other students interviewed said they were not familiar with DeVos’ policies.

Though Saturday’s crowd was a welcoming one, not everyone in the Ave Maria community approved of the controversial commencement speaker.................