RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Tonight the NFL will hold the first round of its annual draft on ESPN starting around 7pm. If and when I have more time it would be interesting to compare how the NFL and other sports teams restock their teams in a manner that is truly in-American. But, one that I support and agree with.

Free markets and pro sports just don't mix because big market teams could and would dominate non-big market teams. Odd, how in the rest of our economy so many smaller places can dominate larger cities with economic development deals those larger cities can't or won't present. Then even when they do there is the aspect of being able to live in Charlotte or LA, Charlotte wins almost every time.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Just another admission that actual free-market capitalism doesn't work at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

Do college football prospects need to participate in the NFL draft? What if a few of the top 10 prospects hired agents and simply made themselves available to offers from NFL teams who are interested in them? NFL teams can make offers to any available free agents. Why can't rookies be free agents?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:39 am 
Board Emeritus

Tonight the NFL will hold the first round of its annual draft on ESPN starting around 7pm. If and when I have more time it would be interesting to compare how the NFL and other sports teams restock their teams in a manner that is truly in-American. But, one that I support and agree with.

Free markets and pro sports just don't mix because big market teams could and would dominate non-big market teams. Odd, how in the rest of our economy so many smaller places can dominate larger cities with economic development deals those larger cities can't or won't present. Then even when they do there is the aspect of being able to live in Charlotte or LA, Charlotte wins almost every time.

Why is it un-American? If you want to be a lawyer or a doctor you have to do what is required. If you want to play pro sports you have to do what is required to enter the field. I do understand the concept of being free to sell your services to the highest bidder but the bottom line lies in a limited number of positions available in a limited number of places. A doctor or lawyer can go virtually anywhere. A pro football player has a choice of 32 cities and a limited number of places on each team.

Now the problem with the rest of your post lies in your complete and utter misunderstanding of capitalism and development. If wealth/capital wants a truly free market then cities and states should not offer them ANYTHING to locate. But the truth of the matter is that wealth/capital does NOT want a non-existent free market. They want the rules, regulations and boundaries of transactions tilted in their favor. But as always the complexity of the relationship between wealth/capital and the state and labor completely and utterly passes you by.

I will suggest a book for you even though you won’t bother reading it because it challenges your blindly held assumptions. Kevin Cox’s “The Politics of Urban and Regional Development and the American Exception.”

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:21 am 
Board Emeritus

Seems to me being a free agent, in sports or any other endeavor, and selling one's services to the highest bidder would be capitalism to the max.

I would not be much interested in some corporatist having the "rights" to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

The NFL Draft is a method in which most of the players ready to move up to the big leagues can get on a team in an efficient manner. In a free market each player would have to interview, go through physicals, do physical/athletic tests, etc.. for each team. Most players would probably want to go to a Super Bowl contender but those teams have a limited number of positions open to accommodate them. Instead, they have a combine in which the teams can evaluate each athlete and determine which players they have an interest in. The Draft allow players a better opportunity to get on a team than if they tried-out individually. The Draft allows the so called "free market" to make the decisions on which players to draft. Of course, a lot of players won't be drafted and they can try for a "walk-in" tryout and that's the "free market" at work again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do college football prospects need to participate in the NFL draft? What if a few of the top 10 prospects hired agents and simply made themselves available to offers from NFL teams who are interested in them? NFL teams can make offers to any available free agents. Why can't rookies be free agents?

League rules dictate. However players who aren't drafted are free agents and a handful every year make the NFL. But, their contracts are for the league minimum.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just another admission that actual free-market capitalism doesn't work at all.

Not in a league where every teams success depends on each other. If we had a free market NFL the league would lose about 8 teams. Then you would have ego maniacs like Jerry Jones buying up all the talent. Which would lead to nobody tuning in, which would lead to the end of the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not in a league where every teams success depends on each other. If we had a free market NFL the league would lose about 8 teams. Then you would have ego maniacs like Jerry Jones buying up all the talent. Which would lead to nobody tuning in, which would lead to the end of the NFL.

Again, thanks for acknowledging that pure free-market capitalism just doesn't work. Something I could have told you all along.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Again, thanks for acknowledging that pure free-market capitalism just doesn't work. Something I could have told you all along.

No economic system works without rules and guidelines. The difference is how many rules and guidelines you have. The left doesnt seem to believe there can ever be to many.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, it's about the rules not being slanted toward corporatocracy.

The left believes in people. The right used to, until it got bought. Now it just talks a good game, and you believe it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

No economic system works without rules and guidelines. The difference is how many rules and guidelines you have. The left doesnt seem to believe there can ever be to many.

Same with the NFL.

Actually, I think the NFL shouldn't be allowed to do what it does. It's a form of indentured servitude. Kurt Flood was right.

An American citizen should have the right to quit, and go to another employer. They should be free agents all the time, as are all Americans. As you are, glen. You've quit several jobs, and went to work for different employers. Athletes should have the same right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Same with the NFL.

Actually, I think the NFL shouldn't be allowed to do what it does. It's a form of indentured servitude. Kurt Flood was right.

An American citizen should have the right to quit, and go to another employer. They should be free agents all the time, as are all Americans. As you are, glen. You've quit several jobs, and went to work for different employers. Athletes should have the same right.

You do realize if that were the way it is done then there would be no NFL. Case in point unpaid internships. Now that the left has successfully campaigned against them close to all radio stations have ended their intern program. Another win for the left.

Without a draft and a system where there is total free agency the NFL would never be able to survive. Now changes need to be made and the NFL has the weakest Union and worst contract of all sports. But, that is mainly the players fault. Knowing how short a career is
they just aren't willing to lose a year or more in wages to make significant changes.

Plus the players "manage" their money as poorly as can be imagined. Over a third are broke if they miss even one game check. The number who are broke 3 to 5 years after leaving the NFL I believe is well above 50%. A fact that the owners take full advantage of. The last contract was for 10 years when the average career is less than 4.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unpaid internships are still normal for college seniors and some grad students. I did one. One of our clients does it, and we work directly with the intern. They're different every semester, but most are pretty sharp.

The Kurt Flood case dealt with the baseball Reserve Clause, which bound players to the team that drafted or signed them, for life. It didn't outlaw the draft, which still happens. It outlawed the lifetime forfeiture of the player's right to bargain with other teams if not declared to be free agents. That was judged unfair and I think that, in those halcyon days, most Americans agreed. Not sure, but that's what I read.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

You do realize if that were the way it is done then there would be no NFL. Case in point unpaid internships. Now that the left has successfully campaigned against them close to all radio stations have ended their intern program. Another win for the left.

No, a win for worker's rights. You must be paid for work.
Quote:
Without a draft and a system where there is total free agency the NFL would never be able to survive. Now changes need to be made and the NFL has the weakest Union and worst contract of all sports. But, that is mainly the players fault. Knowing how short a career is
they just aren't willing to lose a year or more in wages to make significant changes.

Again, you make the argument that a business is more important than worker freedom. Keep it up.

It's the same argument the south made over slavery.
Quote:
Plus the players "manage" their money as poorly as can be imagined. Over a third are broke if they miss even one game check. The number who are broke 3 to 5 years after leaving the NFL I believe is well above 50%. A fact that the owners take full advantage of. The last contract was for 10 years when the average career is less than 4.

First, your argument is paternalistic. What fucking business is it of yours how they spend their money? Are you saying they are too stupid to have freedom to take their skills to the market?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, a win for worker's rights. You must be paid for work.

Again, you make the argument that a business is more important than worker freedom. Keep it up.

It's the same argument the south made over slavery.

First, your argument is paternalistic. What fucking business is it of yours how they spend their money? Are you saying they are too stupid to have freedom to take their skills to the market?

First those internships were coveted by students and a very good learning experience. Now gone thanks to the left. Which if the left had their way is what would happen to the NFL.

Curt Flood was correct and baseball has finally found the correct balance between free agency and keeping small and mid market teams viable.

It is nobodies business how any person spends their money. I was pointing out that because of poor money management skills the NFL owners are taking advantage of the situation. They know that 50% plus 1 player will sign just about any Union contract after they miss 4 or fewer games checks.

Sidebar: For those unaware NFL players get paid per game and recieve 16 paychecks a year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

First those internships were coveted by students and a very good learning experience. Now gone thanks to the left. Which if the left had their way is what would happen to the NFL.

Internships are still around. Just paid. You just make shit up.
Quote:
Curt Flood was correct and baseball has finally found the correct balance between free agency and keeping small and mid market teams viable.

Flood lost his case. The reserve clause still stands, and it shouldn't. It's indentured servitude.

Quote:
It is nobodies business how any person spends their money. I was pointing out that because of poor money management skills the NFL owners are taking advantage of the situation. They know that 50% plus 1 player will sign just about any Union contract after they miss 4 or fewer games checks.

Sidebar: For those unaware NFL players get paid per game and recieve 16 paychecks a year.

Again, the rights of a corporation should NOT be more important than the right of a worker to quit and take his labor elsewhere. It's collusion, pure and simple.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Internships are still around. Just paid. You just make shit up.

Flood lost his case. The reserve clause still stands, and it shouldn't. It's indentured servitude.

Again, the rights of a corporation should NOT be more important than the right of a worker to quit and take his labor elsewhere. It's collusion, pure and simple.

So you would end the NFL in order to hold up your core beliefs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

So you would end the NFL in order to hold up your core beliefs.

Would you give up YOUR rights to quit and work for whom you wanted to make sure a corporation was in good shape?

You are more concerned about having your show, than for the rights of those who provide it.