RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Take the money out of the political system. All of it. Not one dime at all to a politician. You can't buy them a cup of coffee. Have publicly-funded campaigns. Think of the savings to the nation. Hell, with the money they save buying politicians, they could pay for their OWN factories!

Oh, yeah, that's the 4th Progressive Idea that glen says we can't afford...

No it is supporting our country by keeping people who think like you from getting the power to destroying it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

What is a hard task is convincing companies that they can invest in their own companies, instead of having the taxpayer do it for them.

OK I have a question, I was going to put it in a thread but, it fits here.

The NFL Raiders are moving to Vegas. The stadium has a total cost of 1.8 billion. The NFL is putting up 200mil the raiders 850 bil and Nevada the remaining 750 billion.

Now the stadium is going to be used 50 weeks a year and generate 400 million a year into the state economy. So in your opinion is that a wise use of public funds or corporate welfare. Knowing the state of Nevada is dependent upon tourism.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Take the money out of the political system. All of it. Not one dime at all to a politician. You can't buy them a cup of coffee. Have publicly-funded campaigns. Think of the savings to the nation. Hell, with the money they save buying politicians, they could pay for their OWN factories!

Of course you are talking about taking the money out of politics that primarily goes to the GOP. If we had public funded elections then the Green Party would and should be entitled to an equal share as the GOP and the DNC.

Also we would have fringe candidates running for office everywhere not unlike what we saw in California a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK I have a question, I was going to put it in a thread but, it fits here.

The NFL Raiders are moving to Vegas. The stadium has a total cost of 1.8 billion. The NFL is putting up 200mil the raiders 850 bil and Nevada the remaining 750 billion.

Now the stadium is going to be used 50 weeks a year and generate 400 million a year into the state economy. So in your opinion is that a wise use of public funds or corporate welfare. Knowing the state of Nevada is dependent upon tourism.

No. Did you know there was a time when team owners built their OWN stadiums?

glen, that isn't capitalism. It just isn't. What you are doing is saying, if the rich can no longer afford to invest in their own business and take a risk, that capitalism is failed, and must have government pay prop it up.

No it is supporting our country by keeping people who think like you from getting the power to destroying it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Of course you are talking about taking the money out of politics that primarily goes to the GOP. If we had public funded elections then the Green Party would and should be entitled to an equal share as the GOP and the DNC.

Also we would have fringe candidates running for office everywhere not unlike what we saw in California a few years ago.

As I've mentioned before, there are ways to weed them out. There are ways to ensure only viable candidates appear on the ballots. You just set up rules for ballot access. It's not that hard. I've made such proposals on this board in the past.

But you've just admitted that the GOP has an advantage in money, and you want to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I've mentioned before, there are ways to weed them out. There are ways to ensure only viable candidates appear on the ballots. You just set up rules for ballot access. It's not that hard. I've made such proposals on this board in the past.

But you've just admitted that the GOP has an advantage in money, and you want to keep it that way.

Actually if you were to up all the money spent by and for our two parties you would find them to being very close to equal.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Actually if you were to up all the money spent by and for our two parties you would find them to being very close to equal.

Nope. Not true. But go ahead, believe the Fox News lies.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

two of them would destroy our nation.

1] So called free college. While it would not destroy our nation it is definitely something we can't afford. as for the meme's about different nations who have such programs. Once you get into the details it is painfully obvious they are not doing it in a way we could or would do it here.

In 2014-2015 536 billion was spent in the USA on college tuition. Times 4 years would total 2.1 trillion. Which is the cost per year once the program was put into effect for 4 years. Plus increases in tuition fees of course. On top of that add the cost it takes for books and board and it becomes obvious it is a great idea we can't afford.

By having free college you give more people the opportunity to attend junior college, college/university, vocational schools, etc... and enable people who lose their jobs due to automation to be able to afford to go to a school to learn a new trade or skills for a new career. One caveat I would impose would be for courses that are for personal enrichment much like courses in learning basket weaving, ceramics, how to play a musical instrument, etc... These should be fee based. As for the costs of the free colleges the country could actually recoup some of the money in that people with a college education tend to make more money meaning they'll pay more taxes. It also means college graduates won't be burdened with college debt such as doctors who graduate with debt of $100,000 or more. You eliminate college debt and you have graduates with more after tax money to spend in the local economy rather than the money going to college loan agencies.

Quote:
2] Bernie, Hartmann and Richard Wolff have been talking a lot lately about guaranteed Gov't jobs. $15 an hour plus medical benefits 100% paid. This along with number 3 is something we can't only not afford but would lead to the end of our country.

They also want to include a guaranteed income for those who can't or aren't willing to take the Gov't job.

Now there are currently around 18 million people unemployed or under employed in the USA. So at $60,000 per person, wages+benefits+support staff we would be looking at about 1.1 trillion a year to pay for the program.

Which of course would cause runaway inflation as companies would have to offer over $20 an hour plus benefits to compete with a gov't job. One you couldn't be denied, would have to pass no drug screen for, one you could show up and leave when you wanted and could tell your super to fuck off he they gave you a task you didn't want to do.

But they argue that government should be the employer of last resort. Much like what FDR did during the Great Depression by having the Conservation Corps and Works Progress Administration that put millions of unemployed Americans to work.

Quote:
3] Hartmann and Wolff have been discussing a law whereby before a company could relocate the current employees would be given the option to buy the company and then operate it as a collective. The money to buy the company would come from the federal gov't through a guaranteed loan program.

Then the employees would mange the company, set wages, benefits and work rules through a democratic collective where every employee would have an equal voice.

Something that not only wouldn't work and we couldn't afford but, is so stupid I can't imagine any person here supporting.

Actually, it does make sense to anyone with the ability to think. The idea is before a company can transfer it's business overseas they must offer to let the workers buy the company thereby keeping it in the U.S. employing Americans. Not every business would be bought by the employees because the business may not be viable or the workers would be unable to arrange the financing to buy the company. The government could encourage worker-owned companies by offering to back a certain portion of the loans, much like the VA does with home loans, or to provide tax incentives to the lenders as well as the worker-owned company.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

We should be doing just that. But, we don't need a Gov't jobs program. We need lawmakers not afraid to raise the federal gas tax enough to pay for the program. Then let private enterprise bid for the jobs.

Rebuilding infrastructure is a government jobs program in which the government pays private companies to build roads, bridges, tunnels, etc.... You don't see private companies offering to build a highway or bridge at their expense and not charging anyone a penny to use it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nope. Not true. But go ahead, believe the Fox News lies.

Damn you were right again. Once you get to the numbers near the bottom of the non-fox news link, it appears the Dems outspent the GOP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/grap ... ndraising/

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rebuilding infrastructure is a government jobs program in which the government pays private companies to build roads, bridges, tunnels, etc.... You don't see private companies offering to build a highway or bridge at their expense and not charging anyone a penny to use it.

Unless I am mistaken GoU was talking about a CCC or WPA type Gov't jobs program to rebuild infrastructure. Not raises the funds and bidding the jobs out.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

We should be doing just that. But, we don't need a Gov't jobs program. We need lawmakers not afraid to raise the federal gas tax enough to pay for the program. Then let private enterprise bid for the jobs.

California raised the gas tax on gasoline 12 cents and republicans have gathered enough signatures for a ballot initiative in November to repeal the tax and they'll probably be successful. I you were registered in California I'd have no doubt you vote to repeal the tax.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, it does make sense to anyone with the ability to think. The idea is before a company can transfer it's business overseas they must offer to let the workers buy the company thereby keeping it in the U.S. employing Americans. Not every business would be bought by the employees because the business may not be viable or the workers would be unable to arrange the financing to buy the company. The government could encourage worker-owned companies by offering to back a certain portion of the loans, much like the VA does with home loans, or to provide tax incentives to the lenders as well as the worker-owned company.

Oh, no, we can't use taxpayer money to fund workers running a company. That's just for the ultra-rich! THEY are the only ones that deserve taxpayer money!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Unless I am mistaken GoU was talking about a CCC or WPA type Gov't jobs program to rebuild infrastructure. Not raises the funds and bidding the jobs out.

Yeah, I know, you're only in favor if the rich and the corporations get THEIR cut!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Damn you were right again. Once you get to the numbers near the bottom of the non-fox news link, it appears the Dems outspent the GOP.

Trump was an anomaly. Now you want to deny that Republicans have more money than Dems. If that's true, glen, then you wouldn't be giving up anything for public financing.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

And as I pointed out the government is the employer of last resort used mainly during depressions and sever recessions. Rebuilding infrastructure is a normal function of government.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

That was for the presidential election and Trump got hundreds of millions of dollars of free publicity because of his antics. How about finding a link that shows spending on all elections (federal, state, local) by party for the last 10 years instead.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

By having free college you give more people the opportunity to attend junior college, college/university, vocational schools, etc... and enable people who lose their jobs due to automation to be able to afford to go to a school to learn a new trade or skills for a new career. One caveat I would impose would be for courses that are for personal enrichment much like courses in learning basket weaving, ceramics, how to play a musical instrument, etc... These should be fee based. As for the costs of the free colleges the country could actually recoup some of the money in that people with a college education tend to make more money meaning they'll pay more taxes. It also means college graduates won't be burdened with college debt such as doctors who graduate with debt of $100,000 or more. You eliminate college debt and you have graduates with more after tax money to spend in the local economy rather than the money going to college loan agencies.

But they argue that government should be the employer of last resort. Much like what FDR did during the Great Depression by having the Conservation Corps and Works Progress Administration that put millions of unemployed Americans to work.

On your first argument we live in a free society so if tax payers were picking up the tab there is no way to deny my kids then make me pay for your kids. It would destroy the admissions system. Then there is what do we do about out of staters?

If my kid wants to go to UGA at 3 times the cost of instate do we pay that also. Then of course there is the cutoff. Can we age discriminate or if a person who is older decides they want to study some obscure topic there is no market for do we pay for that also.

This onion has way to many layers to count beyond how do we pay for it. Which of course I laid out a reasonable and workable plan of common sense.

Now on to Gov't jobs. If we ever have conditions as they were in the depression call me. In the mean time a trillion dollar program of do nothing jobs is not only unsustainable. Think about how it would effect the free market and the inflation it would cause. Plus of course the cost. Which when added to the free college puts us at over 1.5 trillion for the two programs.

Now as for number 3 please. The Gov't financing the takeover of private industry by workers who are going to form a collective and run the company in a democratic manner. To steal a line from GoU what could possibly go wrong.

Wages benefits vacation time and the rest all decided by company vote. No stock in the company to trade, no "over paid" CEO to make the hard choices. That idea would never work. Unless you think a 4 day work week, 6 weeks paid along with 15 paid sick or personal days and $40 an hour is doable.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen, you didn't pay for your kids to go to college. We the taxpayer did. With grants and government-backed loans.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

CEOs don't make hard choices. They make the choices that benefits them the most. If laying off thousands will make them money on a stock option, they do so, even if it ruins the company long-term.

Remember Circuit City?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

So many places to start...

So we will start with the first and most important which is the concept of infinite growth. Growth is merely another name for profit. Profit is claim on future growth. In order for the system of private ownership combined with division of labor to work it must have permanent growth. But it cannot. A couple of things come into play which destroy permanent growth. They are declining profit and consolidation. Smaller businesses get swept up by large corporations because large corporations see declining profits due to competition and, in some cases, innovation. Therefore small businesses which lack for capital exist hoping to get bought up. Far too many fail. In addition large corporations do not arbitrarily buy a smaller company in whole. They may utilize debt financing to take it over, strip it and make it public again but loaded with debt. Glen noted earlier that things aren’t like they were when FDR was around. And he is right but for the wrong reason. Things are worse due to financialization.

When we add in that the innovations and inventions of the long 19th century were labor creating and those of late are labor destroying we start to note that there is a constant increase over t8me of reserve labor.

Now as for college Glen may have accurate figures but they are in a vacuum. Others noted that things won’t be as they are now with college and for-profit scam schools. Why would they stay the same? If things change over time then this would change over time as well.

Then we have government jobs. Again Glen does not understand. The concept is not for the government to arbitrarily hire people. It is for government to be the employer and trainer (something corporations moved away from) of last resort. Instead of food stamps and other transfer programs why not utilize the reserve labor force created by the system itself? Yes, oh my God, taxes would have to risebut the alternative is not very pretty as we see the foundations of fascism being laid precisely do to race and misogyny being wielded to gain further control over the political economy.

Anybody else want to see that picture? I sure as hell don’t.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

On your first argument we live in a free society so if tax payers were picking up the tab there is no way to deny my kids then make me pay for your kids. It would destroy the admissions system. Then there is what do we do about out of staters?

If my kid wants to go to UGA at 3 times the cost of instate do we pay that also. Then of course there is the cutoff. Can we age discriminate or if a person who is older decides they want to study some obscure topic there is no market for do we pay for that also.

This onion has way to many layers to count beyond how do we pay for it. Which of course I laid out a reasonable and workable plan of common sense.

Now on to Gov't jobs. If we ever have conditions as they were in the depression call me. In the mean time a trillion dollar program of do nothing jobs is not only unsustainable. Think about how it would effect the free market and the inflation it would cause. Plus of course the cost. Which when added to the free college puts us at over 1.5 trillion for the two programs.

Now as for number 3 please. The Gov't financing the takeover of private industry by workers who are going to form a collective and run the company in a democratic manner. To steal a line from GoU what could possibly go wrong.

Wages benefits vacation time and the rest all decided by company vote. No stock in the company to trade, no "over paid" CEO to make the hard choices. That idea would never work. Unless you think a 4 day work week, 6 weeks paid along with 15 paid sick or personal days and $40 an hour is doable.

I'm having problems with the quote function so I'll number my responses.

1. And yet, being single with no children I pay for other people's kids to go to school; go figure. Colleges will still have admission policies because not everyone is can get into Stanford, Yale, or Harvard, or state colleges and universities. Those who qualify and are accepted to college would get their education for free. I have no problem a student pay some cost such as for books unless they can document they or their family can't afford it.

Each state will still govern their college admissions policies but out of state students would be treated the same as in-state students. Foreign students wouldn't be eligible for free college unless there is an agreement between our government and the student's government. As for age discrimination, please review my post you are responding to. If a person is working and retraining then they would be treated as any other student.

2. They wouldn't be do nothing jobs but mainly infrastructure jobs which this country really, really needs.

3. Instead of spending billions on corporate welfare how about spending to keep people working? By investing in worker-owned companies we keep American jobs in the America. Not every worker-owned company will survive but any government investment in a worker-owned company would have to be based on a viable business plan.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 pm 
Policy Wonk

I tend to like what the Chinese are doing which is allow their workers to retire at 50 with their
version of social security. That would free up a lot of jobs for younger workers but of course
the GOP would strongly suggest we can't afford this.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, Employee ownership is something that needs to be further explored. glen tells us it would be a disaster to have the employees running things.

Then how does glen explain Winco? Winco has been employee owned for for over 30 years, and Walmart is scared shitless of them. And it's highly successful. Forbes:

In Corvallis, Oregon, a couple miles north of the Oregon State University campus, sits a WinCo Foods discount supermarket and, unless you’re in need of groceries, you might drive by without noticing it. I assure you, however, it’s an extraordinary building, a laboratory of capitalism worthy of pilgrimages by the world’s great business schools.

Inside the store labor 130 employees of WinCo – grocery clerks, shelf stockers, display builders, bakery workers – and their combined retirement savings roughly comes to an astounding $100 million. And that figure is growing rapidly, such that in a few years the average wealth of these employees could easily exceed $1 million. Quite a few individual workers already have account balances above that level.

Outside of Wall Street and Silicon Valley, the WinCo store represents an unusually concentrated – and unlikely -- grouping of millionaires. The secret to their wealth is employee ownership. Since 1985, WinCo, which operates 98 stores across eight states from its headquarters in Boise BZ +0%, Idaho, has been employee owned, with an Employee Stock Ownership Plan, or ESOP, as the vehicle for its workers’ main retirement savings. (WinCo also has a 401k and about 70% of workers participate.)

The company is by all indications well managed, grows steadily and provides its clientele of families on a budget a combination of low prices, wide selection and efficient and friendly service. Sales for fiscal 2015 are expected at about $6 billion. Same store sales growth and expansion into new markets have propelled WinCo’s profits and thus its ESOP stock past competitors and, indeed, past most growth stocks. The shares have risen at a compounded annual rate of about 20% since 1986. Purchased for $10 million from its former owners in 1985, company workers today hold shares valued at close to $3 billion.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am 
Policy Wonk

#3. This is actually a viable business model. The employee owned business, and there are viable examples in the US. Gore-Tex. Winco in the Northeast, and Publix in the Southwest.

As a matter of fact, Publix is the largest employee owned business in the world. They have billions of dollars in cash, and are continually expanding. They have plenty of millionaire employees. Their profit margin is larger than competitor grocery chains. Every employee gets on average 8.5% of their salary free every year in their Employee Stock Ownership Plan. They can buy more shares through their 401K. They can also buy shares outside of any plan. Those shares have grown on average about 15% annually over the past 45 years. Plus they give out dividends. So, through the ESOP, and 401K those dividends are reinvested in more shares, and therefore gain exponentially. People who do the same in their own ESPP shares get growth as well. Publix has made the Forbes 100 top companies to work for the past 21 years, every year since Forbes started making the list.

http://reviews.greatplacetowork.com/publix-super-markets-inc

http://fortune.com/publix-best-companies/

Winco, as gounion mentioned, has the same positive results.

Socialism! That's that word that your politicians use that it's so nasty. Socialism. Other places just call it sharing. It's a good thing! You just share and give some to the less fortunate. -Fred Eaglesmith

Last edited by S'toon on Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next