RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

If You Support Special Prosecutor Mueller, YOU ARE NOT A REAL AMERICAN!- or so says the lying POS Russian Puppet 45.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/05/20 ... rican.html.

I AM A VERY REAL AMERICAN, AND I BELIVE IN AND I SUPPORT ROBERT MUELLER.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

And he just had Nunberg go on Alex Witt show and reveal name of FBI informant

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nunberg needs to go to jail. Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

We both know that glen speaks with two faces.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're welcome to. But I do give my word that I believe it to be true. He was upset. Joe was also on the board, and seemed truly upset. But like all the other never-Trumpers, they've found their piece with it, and now they support Trump.

For glen, he's found his hatred of us is more important than his dislike of Trump.

I don't think anybody is doubting you GoU. But as you've been saying, your election night chat with glen doesn't matter anymore. You have your impressions of the conversation, I don't think anybody is questioning your sincerity or your integrity. Who cares what he said? Who cares if it's the truth?

Glen has been playing this fucked up card for 17 months now. Like who he voted for balances out his excuse making for Donald, or his support for any Republican politicians.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't think anybody is doubting you GoU. But as you've been saying, your election night chat with glen doesn't matter anymore. You have your impressions of the conversation, I don't think anybody is questioning your sincerity or your integrity. Who cares what he said? Who cares if it's the truth?

Glen has been playing this fucked up card for 17 months now. Like who he voted for balances out his excuse making for Donald, or his support for any Republican politicians.

You are correct - it DOESN'T matter. glen obviously no longer believes Trump is a problem - he defends him, and, although I'm sure he'd like another Republican in office, he supports Trump's corruption and criminality, and prefers that to any Democrat.

I also agree with you guys - Glen says he voted for Obama in 2012, and Hillary in 2016. I no longer believe that, because of his deep-seeded hatred of liberals. When he told me he'd rather have Putin running America than any Democrat, that gave lie to his assertions about who he really voted for.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

So: please note, Agent Orange has not called attention to this problem. Probably because, as always, he is not personally affected. (Like he is by WaPo.)

Amazon is selling police departments a real-time facial recognition system
New documents obtained by the ACLU shed light on Amazon’s Rekognition project
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/22/1737 ... lance-aclu

Documents obtained by the ACLU of Northern California have shed new light on Rekognition, Amazon’s little-known facial recognition project. Rekognition is currently used by police in Orlando and Oregon’s Washington County, often using nondisclosure agreements to avoid public disclosure. The result is a powerful real-time facial recognition system that can tap into police body cameras and municipal surveillance systems.

[snip]

“This is an immediate response use case,” Das told the crowd. “There are cameras all over the city [of Orlando]. Authorized cameras are streaming the data to Kinesis video stream…. We analyze that data in real time and search against the collection of faces that they have. Maybe they want to know if the mayor of the city is in a place, or there are persons of interest they want to track.”

For the ACLU, that capability raises significant civil liberties concerns. “By automating mass surveillance, facial recognition systems like Rekognition threaten this freedom, posing a particular threat to communities already unjustly targeted in the current political climate,” the group said in a statement. “People should be free to walk down the street without being watched by the government.”

[snip]

The ACLU has already joined with other groups to call on Amazon to cease providing facial recognition services to law enforcement and other government agencies. “We demand that Amazon stop powering a government surveillance infrastructure that poses a grave threat to customers and communities across the country,” the groups said in an open letter addressed to CEO Jeff Bezos. “Amazon should not be in the business of providing surveillance systems like Rekognition to the government.”

[snip][end]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

So: please note, Agent Orange has not called attention to this problem. Probably because, as always, he is not personally affected. (Like he is by WaPo.)

Amazon is selling police departments a real-time facial recognition system
New documents obtained by the ACLU shed light on Amazon’s Rekognition project
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/22/1737 ... lance-aclu

Documents obtained by the ACLU of Northern California have shed new light on Rekognition, Amazon’s little-known facial recognition project. Rekognition is currently used by police in Orlando and Oregon’s Washington County, often using nondisclosure agreements to avoid public disclosure. The result is a powerful real-time facial recognition system that can tap into police body cameras and municipal surveillance systems.

[snip]

“This is an immediate response use case,” Das told the crowd. “There are cameras all over the city [of Orlando]. Authorized cameras are streaming the data to Kinesis video stream…. We analyze that data in real time and search against the collection of faces that they have. Maybe they want to know if the mayor of the city is in a place, or there are persons of interest they want to track.”

For the ACLU, that capability raises significant civil liberties concerns. “By automating mass surveillance, facial recognition systems like Rekognition threaten this freedom, posing a particular threat to communities already unjustly targeted in the current political climate,” the group said in a statement. “People should be free to walk down the street without being watched by the government.”

[snip]

The ACLU has already joined with other groups to call on Amazon to cease providing facial recognition services to law enforcement and other government agencies. “We demand that Amazon stop powering a government surveillance infrastructure that poses a grave threat to customers and communities across the country,” the groups said in an open letter addressed to CEO Jeff Bezos. “Amazon should not be in the business of providing surveillance systems like Rekognition to the government.”

[snip][end]

I understand your concern. It’s a little disconcerting knowing big brother has the ability to track your movements. However, they can already do much of this using cellular technology and your smartphone. The only different here is the use of cameras. You can turn your cell phone off. Not so much the cameras. Still it would be a great tool for law enforcement to use to track down folks with outstanding warrants as well as other LE applications.

On balance, while I like the tools it gives LE, I can also see where it an be abused. And if it can be abused chances are it will be abused. But the technology is already there and sooner or later it will come out.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

We agree on this point. It can be used to track criminals and terrorists. I can see a use of this for LE.

It can also, and thus probably, will be used to track activists, dissidents, resisters, as well. Especially by the current authorities. I think this is what the ACLU is concerned about.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Still it would be a great tool for law enforcement to use to track down folks with outstanding warrants as well as other LE applications.

Other LE applications such as ... ?

Do tell.

One thing I've noticed about all forms of American conservatism: when it comes to all that big gubmint and taxpayer waste conservatives love griping about, conservatives invariably turn out to be the biggest size queens in town. "Law and order" is always the conservative excuse for big government and iron fist, and indignant shorthand for minorities and immigrants get back in your g.d. place. That, to conservatives is "liberty" and "freedom". We've been seeing it happen with this current government for the past year and a half.

Meanwhile, that same party gives us big-government First Amendment-busters like HUAC, the criminality of Watergate and Iran-Contra, and now every person in the POTUS' circle and a bunch f other R's up to their necks in ties to mob-rule government in Russia. Lol law enforcement... :problem:

I do certainly hope you don't really think law enforcement will use this tool to find people with outstanding warrants and hey, why not, unpaid parking tickets.

If so, I've got a Palantir to sell you. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

We agree on this point. It can be used to track criminals and terrorists. I can see a use of this for LE.

It can also, and thus probably, will be used to track activists, dissidents, resisters, as well. Especially by the current authorities. I think this is what the ACLU is concerned about.

Timely topic. Last night I watched the Netflix film Anon, an interesting "dystopian nightmare" movie about facial recognition and the cops. Not the best movie in the world, but I really love flicks with neat computer interfaces (one of the reasons I love Minority Report so much; that, and pretty Tom and handsome Steve Harris!), and this one really impressed. Worth a watch, I think.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195964

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Peter Thiel is just like every other Right-"Libertarian".

"Liberty" for him is as the Ayn Randian Galt-like overman who stands over the rest of us. I think he's still trying to fund that oil platform libber-utopia in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Meanwhile, he crushes freedom of the press (see Hulk Hogan-Gawker lawsuit), and builds technologies (Palantir) to put the "riffraff" under surveillance.

Liberty for me, surveillance and drones for thee.

And, sees zero contradiction in supporting that authoritarian, civil-liberty crushing faux-strongman, Donald Trump. (At least Cato is not that abject in its genuflection.)

Buzz off Peter, and take your Eye of Sauron with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Timely topic. Last night I watched the Netflix film Anon, an interesting "dystopian nightmare" movie about facial recognition and the cops. Not the best movie in the world, but I really love flicks with neat computer interfaces (one of the reasons I love Minority Report so much; that, and pretty Tom and handsome Steve Harris!), and this one really impressed. Worth a watch, I think.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80195964

Yeah, I just love Minority Report because
a) it's a Philip K. Dick short story
b) I think Spielberg released it because the "Precrime" theme fit in with the growing use of "preventative detention" of terrorists the Bushies were doing in the early Aughts
c) such a beautiful meditation on whether the future, once known, is fixed or changeable ... oddly enough, like Agents of Shield and Days of Future Past, the film comes down on the "changeable" side. (Ironically, of course, Anderton doesn't change the fact that his gun kills the guy the system said he would kill ... it's just that he didn't do it willingly.) The precogs are not flawless and can disagree; apparently alternate timelines exist; this is why there can be minority reports.
d) also, such a thoughtful meditation about how systems designed to protect us ("Precrime"), can be abused by the very people who created them for their own purposes.

The fact that people in the world of MR seem to have basically accepted this constant surveillance of themselves is also part of the dystopian narrative. I really love that scene when the spider robots who scan peoples' irises basically break into every room in a building complex, and like perfect drones, every person in every room stands still so they can be scanned. "Assume the position!" (The spiders do shock them if they don't cooperate.) Also, that this constant scanning and monitoring has formed a perfect seamless web of advertising, so that every store you enter greets you personally and reminds you of what you've recently bought.

... yeah, we're heading for that future. Full steam.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Abuse of power can cut both ways and has cut both ways. Nobody likes it when they are on the receiving end. That aside, I understand the discomfort and I share some of it with you. But the technology is already there. It will be employed. There is very little we can do to stop it. I do not share your fear of it being used to track activists or dissidents any more than I fear the use of current technology being used for the same purposes. My thought is that we better start thinking of ways to control it's use so that civil liberties are protected while taking advantage of the benefits of such technology.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Abuse of power can cut both ways and has cut both ways.

:problem: this facile black/white thinking, again.

When it comes to technology like this, there are more than two ways. If you're in doubt, ask a hacker.

Quote:
There is very little we can do to stop it. I do not share your fear of it being used to track activists or dissidents any more than I fear the use of current technology being used for the same purposes. My thought is that we better start thinking of ways to control it's use so that civil liberties are protected while taking advantage of the benefits of such technology.

The millisecond liberals propose regulation, legislation, and oversight of this technology, it won't be the EFF shrieking about big government and loss of rights, it will be Republicans and blathercon conservatives, angry because it stands in the way of some dork getting in bed with Russia to make a buck. :problem:

You guys don't even want to regulate killing machines, built expressly for killing, when they kill 6 year old in their classroom.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

I notice Joe isn't commenting on the actual thread subject, but instead on a secondary issue. Joe would never come out and talk about something where he might have to say something bad about Trump.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do not share your fear of it being used to track activists or dissidents any more than I fear the use of current technology being used for the same purposes. My thought is that we better start thinking of ways to control it's use so that civil liberties are protected while taking advantage of the benefits of such technology.

Technology can't be unmade. BUT: We (society) decide how it will be used. Or how it won't. That's what regulations are for.

No fate, but what we make ourselves.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

I do not share your fear of it being used to track activists or dissidents any more than I fear the use of current technology being used for the same purposes.

Of course you wouldn't, because conservatives are the biggest big-government advocates in this country.

By now, you're no doubt aware of the illegal COINTELPRO program, Gift no. 17,098 of conservative whites to Planet Earth, right?

It's already happening regarding you guy's cute designation of "Black Identity Extremists" and Facebook. This IT guy was thrown in jail for five months over some Facebook posts.

Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance - Guardian

Quote:
Rakem Balogun thought he was dreaming when armed agents in tactical gear stormed his apartment. Startled awake by a large crash and officers screaming commands, he soon realized his nightmare was real, and he and his 15-year-old son were forced outside of their Dallas home, wearing only underwear.

Handcuffed and shaking in the cold wind, Balogun thought a misunderstanding must have led the FBI to his door on 12 December 2017. The father of three said he was shocked to later learn that agents investigating “domestic terrorism” had been monitoring him for years and were arresting him that day in part because of his Facebook posts criticizing police.

“It’s tyranny at its finest,” said Balogun, 34. “I have not been doing anything illegal for them to have surveillance on me. I have not hurt anyone or threatened anyone.”

Balogun spoke to the Guardian this week in his first interview since he was released from prison after five months locked up and denied bail while US attorneys tried and failed to prosecute him, accusing him of being a threat to law enforcement and an illegal gun owner.

Balogun, who lost his home and more while incarcerated, is believed to be the first person targeted and prosecuted under a secretive US surveillance effort to track so-called “black identity extremists”. In a leaked August 2017 report from the FBI’s Domestic Terrorism Analysis Unit, officials claimed that there had been a “resurgence in ideologically motivated, violent criminal activity” stemming from African Americans’ “perceptions of police brutality”.

The counter-terrorism assessment provided minimal data or evidence of threats against police, but discussed a few isolated incidents, notably the case of Micah Johnson who killed five officers in Texas. The report sparked backlash from civil rights groups and some Democrats, who feared the government would use the broad designation to prosecute activists and groups like Black Lives Matter.

Balogun, who was working full-time for an IT company when he was arrested, has long been an activist, co-founding Guerrilla Mainframe and the Huey P Newton Gun Club, two groups fighting police brutality and advocating for the rights of black gun owners. Some of the work included coordinating meals for the homeless, youth picnics and self-defense classes – but that’s not what interested the FBI.

:problem:

This is "freedom" to conservative whites.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Technology can't be unmade. BUT: We (society) decide how it will be used. Or how it won't. That's what regulations are for.

No fate, but what we make ourselves.

I don't disagree with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're welcome to. But I do give my word that I believe it to be true. He was upset. Joe was also on the board, and seemed truly upset. But like all the other never-Trumpers, they've found their piece with it, and now they support Trump.

For glen, he's found his hatred of us is more important than his dislike of Trump.

I would challenge anyone to come up with even five Never Trumpers who are still Never Trumpers.

Lindsey and John don't count, since they talk loud but rubberstamp everything he does. Plus it's not clear they were even Never Trumpers to begin with. They just coattail off of him for their own self-aggrandizement.

Conservatives are so dishonest with themselves -- about everything, including this.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I could name two or three never Trumpers, but it's because I sort of follow them on Twitter.

Rick Wilson
Ana Navarro
Steve Schmidt