Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Proposal from the Urban Institute:

Since efforts to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have failed, and bipartisan attempts to improve the law have stalled, some policymakers are now looking beyond incremental fixes. In this paper, Urban Institute researchers present a set of policy ideas that would provide universal access to comprehensive coverage but would also allow people to keep their employer-sponsored coverage, would offer a range of insurer options and ensure broad pooling of health care risk, would not have an employer mandate, would provide income-related federal assistance, and would create a more flexible individual incentive to remain insured than that under the ACA.

The proposal builds on components of the Medicare program and the ACA Marketplaces. However, it simplifies the current health insurance system by integrating Medicaid acute care for nonelderly people and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)—while preserving access to their benefits—with coverage for people enrolled in private nongroup insurance and people currently uninsured. This large new Medicare-style marketplace, featuring a public plan and private insurer options, would contain costs by fostering competition among many insurers, capping provider payment rates, and addressing prescription drug pricing. This proposal is less ambitious than a single-payer system (i.e., Medicare for All), but it would get close to universal coverage with much lower increases in federal spending and less disruption for people currently enrolled in employer coverage or Medicare.

They estimate that the plan would result in 15.9 million fewer uninsured people and reduce total health care spending by $28.9 billion in its first full year of implementation.

glen and Joe won't have any opinion on this, as they won't have gotten their marching orders and talking points from the right yet. However, it contains something that the right will hate - a public option for purchasing health care. They won't like it because they KNOW that having a public option will destroy the health insurers - as they can't compete on cost with a public option. That's why they refused it in ObamaCare.

Here's the thing: The right HAS NO SOLUTION. The only thing they want to do is to destroy all public health care, and if you can't afford it, they want you to have no options but to shut up and die.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

Proposal from the Urban Institute:

Since efforts to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have failed, and bipartisan attempts to improve the law have stalled, some policymakers are now looking beyond incremental fixes. In this paper, Urban Institute researchers present a set of policy ideas that would provide universal access to comprehensive coverage but would also allow people to keep their employer-sponsored coverage, would offer a range of insurer options and ensure broad pooling of health care risk, would not have an employer mandate, would provide income-related federal assistance, and would create a more flexible individual incentive to remain insured than that under the ACA.

The proposal builds on components of the Medicare program and the ACA Marketplaces. However, it simplifies the current health insurance system by integrating Medicaid acute care for nonelderly people and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)—while preserving access to their benefits—with coverage for people enrolled in private nongroup insurance and people currently uninsured. This large new Medicare-style marketplace, featuring a public plan and private insurer options, would contain costs by fostering competition among many insurers, capping provider payment rates, and addressing prescription drug pricing. This proposal is less ambitious than a single-payer system (i.e., Medicare for All), but it would get close to universal coverage with much lower increases in federal spending and less disruption for people currently enrolled in employer coverage or Medicare.

They estimate that the plan would result in 15.9 million fewer uninsured people and reduce total health care spending by $28.9 billion in its first full year of implementation.

glen and Joe won't have any opinion on this, as they won't have gotten their marching orders and talking points from the right yet. However, it contains something that the right will hate - a public option for purchasing health care. They won't like it because they KNOW that having a public option will destroy the health insurers - as they can't compete on cost with a public option. That's why they refused it in ObamaCare.

Here's the thing: The right HAS NO SOLUTION. The only thing they want to do is to destroy all public health care, and if you can't afford it, they want you to have no options but to shut up and die.

Gotta disagree about Glen. Iirc, he supports single payer.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Bring it up when we have Democrats in the White House, and both houses of Congress. :|

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:58 am 
Board Emeritus

But he was against ObamaCare and will be against this. Yes, he supports single payer, but will never vote for someone who would vote to implement single payer.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Bring it up when we have Democrats in the White House, and both houses of Congress. :|

No, you bring it up NOW and Democrats run on that platform.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:04 am 
Board Emeritus

I think a public option like this is indeed something Democrats should campaign on for November. Say if they have the majority, this is what they will push for. Now we know Trump has the veto, what we don't know is if he will be there till 2020. We can suspect someone else might be there that has the veto. But again, it's theoretically unknown. :D

I'm not against suggesting single payer, either. Medicare for All, IMHO, is not single payer, because the bills I've seen wouldn't eliminate private, HMO, or employer-provided health insurance, just enable anyone who wants to of any age to enroll in Medicare. That's a public option. :mrgreen: I too like those plans.

With single payer, the devil will be in the details, as always. A public option could be implemented with less disruption to existing institutions. It might also, once all the details are laid out, garner more public support and be more likely to pass. (Remember people have been polled on whether they like the IDEA of single payer, but have never been asked if they will support an actual plan that actualizes it.) This liberal institutionalist reformist does not think those are bad things. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 am 
Board Emeritus

If anybody believes anything spewed out of that festering piehole.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 am 
Board Emeritus

Won't happen then either. Way, way too many alleged progressive in this country love their swanky employer sponsored health care coverage. Same goes for guns. Way too many alleged progressives love their guns

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 am 
Board Emeritus

That's what's good about a public option.

If you like your employer sponsored health care plan, you can keep it ... ;)

Or switch to the public option.

Hence the word "option". :mrgreen:

Like you've got the choice to use the Post Office ... or UPS/FedEx. Or between private and public schools. Same concept.

Now, the Health Insurance Mafia did oppose a public option in 2009 ... they know it will drive their prices down as people flee their plans for it.

They view it as bad; I view it as good. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:40 am 
Board Emeritus

That's what's good about a public option.

If you like your employer sponsored health care plan, you can keep it ... ;)

Or switch to the public option.

Hence the word "option". :mrgreen:

Like you've got the choice to use the Post Office ... or UPS/FedEx. Or between private and public schools. Same concept.

Now, the Health Insurance Mafia did oppose a public option in 2009 ... they know it will drive their prices down as people flee their plans for it.

They view it as bad; I view it as good. :D

We couldn't get a public option when we had the Oval Office and both houses of Congress. We couldn't get it because the majority of Americans didn't want it. Their tax bill...y'know? And Gibbs had the balls to stand in front of the cameras and chastise those of us who were vocal about Obama's failure and Congressional democrat's failure to get a public option, much less single payer for us.

So do any of the alleged progressives in this country who are at best ambivalent about the benefits of single payer or the public option know that we are spending twice what is necessary on health care in this country? If they know...do they care? If the majority of the people in this country really want something bad enough they will get it. If we wanted single payer we would have it. If we wanted assault rifles and automatic pistols gone they would be gone.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Thank you, the main reason I support single payer is because collectively as a nation we are already paying more than the cost of single payer. We currently are paying for a Caddy and driving a Chevy when it comes to healthcare.

Healthcare is such a politically volatile issue I doubt the Dems will go near it again in my lifetime. [age 60] When Bill C tried it, it cost them, over 20 years later when Obama tried it, it cost them. Which is why I believe it will be another 20+ years before we see it touched again.

5 years to age 65, I can't wait for medicare!

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 am 
Board Emeritus

We couldn't get a public option when we had the Oval Office and both houses of Congress. We couldn't get it because the majority of Americans didn't want it. Their tax bill...y'know? So do any of the alleged progressives in this country who are at best ambivalent about the benefits of single payer or the public option know that we are spending twice what is necessary on health care in this country. If they know...do they care? If the majority of the people in this country really want something bad enough they will get it.

The majority don't want it because they have been lied to about it. Couple that with a natural distrust that most people have of Gov't and enacting HC is next to impossible.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:01 am 
Board Emeritus

The majority don't want it because they have been lied to about it. Couple that with a natural distrust that most people have of Gov't and enacting HC is next to impossible.

Yep, the Republicans keep lying about it. Yet you vote for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Thank you, the main reason I support single payer is because collectively as a nation we are already paying more than the cost of single payer. We currently are paying for a Caddy and driving a Chevy when it comes to healthcare.

Healthcare is such a politically volatile issue I doubt the Dems will go near it again in my lifetime. [age 60] When Bill C tried it, it cost them, over 20 years later when Obama tried it, it cost them. Which is why I believe it will be another 20+ years before we see it touched again.

5 years to age 65, I can't wait for medicare!

Yet you keep voting for Republicans that want to take it away from you. Or at least your children. You must be proud.

And, of course, I was correct, glen won't discuss the actual plan, because the right-wing noise machine hasn't told him what to think.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am 
Board Emeritus

Wrong. We won't get it because the majority of Americans bought into the individualist philosophy of the founders...and follow the guidelines. Which are:

I got mine, go fuck yourself.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Wrong. We won't get it because the majority of Americans bought into the individualist philosophy of the founders...and follow the guidelines. Which are:

I got mine, go fuck yourself.

They should market a public option as such.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, the Republicans keep lying about it. Yet you vote for them.

It is because of the 50 other things I believe a Democratic Party msjority would enact. Or at the very least lay the groundwork for

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is because of the 50 other things I believe a Democratic Party msjority would enact. Or at the very least lay the groundwork for

Instead, you vote for those who sell our nation out to the Russians and Chinese. Such is the actions of a man who is delusional.

Like in the kinds of things you say I'm in favor of, none of which is true.

Just think - the last time the Dems had full and complete power, we had FDR, the New Deal, and we won WW2. The HORROR!

And don't even think of bringing up FDR's treatment of the Japanese citizens - because Trump wants to put dreamers into the same camps until he can deport them. History repeats, and you're on board with what Trump wants to do.