Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: California Prop 69
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 am 
Board Emeritus

As I understand it this Prop requires certain revenues generated by a 2017 transportation funding law to be used for transportation only.

That is a great idea which should be a law in every state. To often our various Gov'ts state local federal will get us to support a tax increase by claiming it is for one thing. Then after it is passed we find out the money is really going into the general fund. It was a technique many states used to pass state lotteries.

The only problem with Calif Prop 69 would be that once it passes the state simply takes other revenues that would have been going into transportation and redirects those funds into other projects.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

Post subject: Re: California Prop 69
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 am 
Board Emeritus

A Republican-majority state would never go for it. Because any revenues primarily have to go into their own pockets.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

As I understand it this Prop requires certain revenues generated by a 2017 transportation funding law to be used for transportation only.

That is a great idea which should be a law in every state. To often our various Gov'ts state local federal will get us to support a tax increase by claiming it is for one thing. Then after it is passed we find out the money is really going into the general fund. It was a technique many states used to pass state lotteries.

The only problem with Calif Prop 69 would be that once it passes the state simply takes other revenues that would have been going into transportation and redirects those funds into other projects.

Your last sentence renders moot your first three sentences.

I voted no on the stupid thing. It's propose is to stifle the legislature and it tends to remove the flexibility they need to meet the needs of the state. We have disasters from time to time and placing lock boxes around certain funds is nonsense about like tying one hand behind ones back.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

Please tell us the following:
1. Have you read the entire Prop 69?
2. Have you read the legislative analysis of Prop 69?
3. In your own words, what effect will this proposition have?

I believe you're operating from your usual lack of knowledge on this issue.