RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, it may not exactly be Politics (though he did delve into those subjects), but this is surely a Current Event. So I think it doesn't just go in Entertainment News.

I was shocked when this came across the feeds this morning. I mean, I really had to double check, was this a celebrity hoax or the Onion? Appears to be true.

He committed suicide. :(

CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/antho ... index.html

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

[snip][end]

So ... you know, I know he had hit rock bottom once before. Talked about it on the show. Drugs, couldn't find work as a chef, totally broke, real problems. Then he seemed to find a rejuvenation of his life with the CNN program. Really seemed like he had risen up again. Of course, when you suffer from depression like I think he did, it's so hard to tell up from down. Oddly enough, I think the Robin Williams documentary is just coming out.

I loved the show. I am not so much a foodie. My brother loves Food Network; I usually find 95% of their programs boring. But look, when he went to places around the world, he did delve into more than just cuisine. He sampled other parts of local culture, yes he did get into political issues, he did on his Israel/Palestine episode. I thought it was cool, he sampled the food of both cultures, Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs, and talked to people on both sides. That was him.

When he did his Miami episode ... well, it was so him, too. We do have 5 star restaurants in Miami, I can't afford to go to them :D , but they exist. But no, he didn't go to those places, he found local holes in the wall, he went to Pepito's Plaza, which is basically Venezuelan fast food located in a gas station. That was Bourdain ... he wanted to find authenticity in populist eating, and you don't always get that at the 5 star Zagat rated places. He ate what "the people" ate, including street food.

You know, there were moments in the show where he just mused on what we call the big questions. I have to say I loved that. What's important in life? What really defines a city, a country, a culture, a place? Do foods and cuisines really "belong" to one group or another? Look, I can't say I knew him more than any other celebrity chef I've never met. He just seemed, at least from what I saw ... so human.

Damn you Anthony Bourdain ... suicide is a choice ... you deprived the world of your light.

But maybe, at long last, you found that peace so much of us seek, but never find.

I mean it: R I P.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:44 am 
Board Emeritus

:(

I loved him

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am 
Board Emeritus

He came to Cleveland and went to Sokolowski’s University Inn which is Eastern European/Central European comfort food. Mrs. Bird and I enjoyed his show.

Very sad. R.I.P.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 am 
Board Emeritus

Ugh, that's very sad :(

Rest in Peace.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Location: Treasure Coast, Florida & Fairfield County, Connecticut
:arrow: So sad and so very shocking. I always looked forward to his program every weekend. Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" was like an escape. R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain~ :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I turned on MSNBC this morning and they were talking about the suicide of Bourdain and on suicide prevention. Why is it we focus or care about suicide prevention when celebrities kills themselves?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

R.I.P. Right on the heels of Kate Spade. Hope this isn't a new pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

> new pattern

Maybe now these will cluster like celebrity ODs. The human mind is good at connecting things anyway.

> Bourdain

I won't speak ill of the dead............

No, Z, just don't. Back away from the keyboard now. Make coffee. Make art.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 pm 

I turned on MSNBC this morning and they were talking about the suicide of Bourdain and on suicide prevention. Why is it we focus or care about suicide prevention when celebrities kills themselves?

because most people don't really know someone personally who has committed suicide and it hits them somewhat hard because we care for tony and kate etc.

and if you do personally know someone who committed, it's not like it gets world wide news coverage. it's more of a family and friends attempt at understanding and empathy.

but if any good of a very sad act of the rich and famous committing suicide comes out of it, well its better then ignoring it.

rip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

R.I.P. Right on the heels of Kate Spade. Hope this isn't a new pattern.

In a follow up report on suicide, Stephanie Whatshername and Ari Whatshisname went over a bunch of educational stuff on suicide worldwide. Anyway the number they had was approximately 800,000 suicides worldwide last year. I suppose that's a pattern. I had a problem with the number though...they didn't say how many of these were end of life/death with dignity suicides or physical illness/disability suicides as opposed to mental illness driven suicides.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

i dont blame him i dont hold it against him.
i dont begrudge him his life or his choice in death.
since when is it up to others, strangers, when or how a person passes from his/her life.

i liked his shows, the more recent incarnation he was far more into the local people themselves,
the cultures along with the foods they shared. he seemed to really enjoy meeting with
the local below the radar indigenous.

he had seen what has happened, he had seen the environment around the globe, he Saw it all.
he saw what was left and he saw how it was affecting all the peoples he met around the earth.
(you can detach by calling it 'world', you can detach by calling it 'globe'...you cannot pretend its
not The Earth. bourdain knew that.)

RIP Tony. you did good.

he hung himself so no one would rant on or use him re his prior drug use. same as robin williams did.

Last edited by rainwater on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

i dont blame him the same way i dont blame the veterans who end their lives.
the veterans who did what and all that was asked of them, who then live the rest of their lives
with injuries and wounds, the same veterans now being cut off from pain relief leaving them
suffering in pain until they "commit suicide"....take their own lives becuz theyre in pain and
suddenly no one gives a fuck about leaving them to suffer day and nite til they die.

im speaking of a guy who did 20 as a combat marine with 5 tours ME then 5 more as a contractor over there...
use of pain meds as prescribed was NOT a problem working as a contractor nor had it been a problem
the end of his active 20yr career.

once done, once out at home retired with his family finally...they start to fuck with him.
they take away his pain relief for the many injuries he endured.
he danced with that for a year and three months ago he killed himself, he couldnt take the constant
pain any longer. now he is dead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

If he was an opiate or heroin addict, he could make a bad decision on the spur of the moment easily.

NEVER kill yourself, you CANT take it back. But, when in the grips of opiate withdrawal especially, it can happen quite easily actually.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Anthony Bourdain loved Detroit, called it beautiful and magnificent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:55 pm 
Policy Wonk

In a follow up report on suicide, Stephanie Whatshername and Ari Whatshisname went over a bunch of educational stuff on suicide worldwide. Anyway the number they had was approximately 800,000 suicides worldwide last year. I suppose that's a pattern. I had a problem with the number though...they didn't say how many of these were end of life/death with dignity suicides or physical illness/disability suicides as opposed to mental illness driven suicides.

The pattern I was thinking of was famous people who commit suicide who aren't "entertainers." I suppose someone will show I'm wrong, but it's always seemed to me (not very objective) that most famous people who end their own lives are musicians, actors, comics, not chefs or fashion designers.

And yeah, I know two people doesn't represent a pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

If he was an opiate or heroin addict, he could make a bad decision on the spur of the moment easily.

NEVER kill yourself, you CANT take it back. But, when in the grips of opiate withdrawal especially, it can happen quite easily actually.

this is the kind of bullshit being passed around to the public.
smh.

if you die during a withdrawal from 5-6-7 drugs you might have an heart attack. might.
most often NOT.

veterans dont use 5-6-7 drugs. they use a pain med for pain. veterans dont get "high"...they cant
get "high" anymore. civilians can get "high". veterans dont have the nervous system left to get "high".
no reason to fuck around with drugs. veterans simply need some pain relief from being abused for so long.

the absolute total LIES being spread are dis-gusting. you get deaths from using smack on top
of alllll the other drugs together at the same time. fentanyl and smack and downers and god knows
what else...that causes deaths.

taking your pain med as prescribed, like VETERANS DO...does not kill you.
STOP FUCKING OVER THE VETERANS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

because most people don't really know someone personally who has committed suicide and it hits them somewhat hard because we care for tony and kate etc.

and if you do personally know someone who committed, it's not like it gets world wide news coverage. it's more of a family and friends attempt at understanding and empathy.

but if any good of a very sad act of the rich and famous committing suicide comes out of it, well its better then ignoring it.

rip

I've heard of Bourdain but not Spade but I didn't have any connection to their being a celebrity. As for people know knowing someone personally I'd say most people know someone (an acquaintance, friend of a friend, etc.) who has committed or tried to commit suicide. Part of the problem is most people don't know the signs of a suicidal person and those who do it still might fail to recognize the signals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

this is the kind of bullshit being passed around to the public.
smh.

if you die during a withdrawal from 5-6-7 drugs you might have an heart attack. might.
most often NOT.

veterans dont use 5-6-7 drugs. they use a pain med for pain. veterans dont get "high"...they cant
get "high" anymore. civilians can get "high". veterans dont have the nervous system left to get "high".
no reason to fuck around with drugs. veterans simply need some pain relief from being abused for so long.

the absolute total LIES being spread are dis-gusting. you get deaths from using smack on top
of alllll the other drugs together at the same time. fentanyl and smack and downers and god knows
what else...that causes deaths.

taking your pain med as prescribed, like VETERANS DO...does not kill you.
STOP FUCKING OVER THE VETERANS.

You cant be talking to me.

I didnt say die during withdrawal from the effects of withdrawal, I said opiate addicts (if he was one, I was generalizing, I am only going off what I heard about him) in withdrawal often think of dying to end the pain, I know I did a few thousand times.

I am not sure what you are talking about.

I might have left off one word, i should have added if he was an ACTIVE opiate user and addict. I was merely explaining how easy it can be for someone going thru withdrawal to want to end their life. Whether he was on drugs AT ALL I dont know, I was merely making an observation I know something about .

Stop fucking over veterans? Now I am completely lost.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

there is no withdrawal from using pain meds for pain injuries. the pain simply comes back.

dont CONFUSE withdrawal from chronic use of HEROIN to not having pain meds anymore.
it is not the same thing no matter what bullshit is fed out by the politicians.

no one who uses pain meds for pain issues goes thru a fucking heroin withdrawal.
this is the crap theyve fed the public. sigh.

this "epidemic" bullshit has killed more people than the goddamn pain med ever would.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm 

i remember when the Dotard talked about 'shythole' countries, CNN aired his show when he went to different AFRICAN COUNTRIES...

he will be missed

thoroughly enjoyed his sojourn to Cuba....

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

there is no withdrawal from using pain meds for pain injuries. the pain simply comes back.

dont CONFUSE withdrawal from chronic use of HEROIN to not having pain meds anymore.
it is not the same thing no matter what bullshit is fed out by the politicians.

no one who uses pain meds for pain issues goes thru a fucking heroin withdrawal.
this is the crap theyve fed the public. sigh.

this "epidemic" bullshit has killed more people than the goddamn pain med ever would.

I still dont know what you are talking about.

It was reported he was a heroin addict at one time, right?

You are describing someone on pain meds for pain who isnt addicted, completely different.

BTW there is no bigger supporter of NOT overreacting to the epidemic BECAUSE it will take pain meds from people who actually need it, oxycontin being a really good one for those who need it

I have NO IDEA if he was actively using in his addiction, what I do know is if he was it is very easy to get to a point of hopelessness and wanting to kill yourself, most of us dont do it, but some do...for all I know he wasnt using drugs at all at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've heard of Bourdain but not Spade but I didn't have any connection to their being a celebrity.

No one's posted about Spade's death or suicide.

I have to confess I didn't know much about her.

So, in line with the idea that you don't speak ill of the recently dead ... well, it appears some assholes are doing exactly that.

RWNJs are claiming Kate Spade committed suicide because, quote, she was a "Satanic pedophile" ... :roll: more Pizzagate/Qanon type nonsense. Guess who's on the Q here. ;)

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/liz- ... pedophile/

Liz Crokin, a pedophilia-obsessed right-wing “reporter,” responded to the reported suicide of renowned fashion designer Kate Spade on Monday by suggesting that Spade may have been involved in a satanic pedophilia ring and killed herself to escape jail time.

In a video uploaded just hours after news broke of Spade’s suicide, Crokin alleged that the designer may not have actually killed herself, based on warnings posted by “QAnon”—an anonymous poster on the 8Chan forum board that conspiracy theorists believe is a high-level Trump official ordered to leak out sensitive intelligence to their gang of amateur sleuths. Crokin said that “QAnon said that he warned that people would be committing suicide and today it was reported that she committed suicide.”

“The circumstances, just from the initial reports are very shady, they’re very suspicious, she allegedly hung herself with a red scarf and when I hear things like that I immediately think Illuminati and occult symbolism. (*) The Illuminati is obsessed with the color red, we also know that the pedophile Satanists are obsessed with handkerchiefs, talk about handkerchiefs in the [John] Podesta emails,” Crokin said.

Crokin said that pictures of Spade and her husband show them to be “your typical creepy occult couple” and said the couple reminded her of “Tony Podesta and his ex-wife, who looks like Cruella de Vil.” She then urged viewers to search for images of Andy Spade and “pizza,” claiming that numerous photos of him delivering boxes of pizza were evidence that Spade is a pedophile. (**) She also pushed this theory on Twitter:

[snip][end]

(*) :roll: I thought they crushed people with one-eyed pyramids.
(**) :roll: Beware the pizza delivery people, people.

Liz Crokin may need to get back on her meds, maybe her and Roseanne Barr can split a few.

But, after I saw this, I'm betting to myself the mysterious Q from the Qanon Continuum, since he supposedly "predicted" "upcoming suicides" after Spade, will start to work Bourdain into some ... Qurious scenario.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know her name because of clothes, right?

right

I will always remember my survivor of WWII US Navy 3rd Class Petty Officer Quartermaster father who's ship USS Northampton was sunk by a Japanese torpedo told me upon the news of a family member killing himself due to the 2008 crash "Never kill yourself over money, you can ALWAYS get more money"

Holy fuck, good thing he is dead and not alive to see me DEMOTE him, sorry dad CHIEF PETTY OFFICER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

i dont blame him i dont hold it against him.
i dont begrudge him his life or his choice in death.
since when is it up to others, strangers, when or how a person passes from his/her life.

Just to be clear, any remarks I made above do not reflect any belief that people don't have a right to die with dignity or that I oppose medical euthanasia/assisted suicide. I don't.

I favor suicide prevention hotlines ... well, whatever, we've had this discussion.

I'm upset that Anthony Bourdain took his own life; it seems I'm not the only person who will miss him; and of course there were people far personally closer to him than me.

That that was his right - of course - and despite a figure of speech, I'm not really angry with him for doing it. More just sad.

I am not a mental health professional, but I guess, as with Robin Williams, future articles will observe/describe a history of depression.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just to be clear, any remarks I made above do not reflect any belief that people don't have a right to die with dignity or that I oppose medical euthanasia/assisted suicide. I don't.

I favor suicide prevention hotlines ... well, whatever, we've had this discussion.

I'm upset that Anthony Bourdain took his own life; it seems I'm not the only person who will miss him; and of course there were people far personally closer to him than me.

That that was his right - of course - and despite a figure of speech, I'm not really angry with him for doing it. More just sad.

I am not a mental health professional, but I guess, as with Robin Williams, future articles will observe/describe a history of depression.

Robin had so much going against him medically speaking, I was so sad that I was angry at him also until I found out more. I had no right to be angry with him but I was, and I was a bit pissed at Carlin for not living longer.