RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just to be clear, any remarks I made above do not reflect any belief that people don't have a right to die with dignity or that I oppose medical euthanasia/assisted suicide. I don't.

I favor suicide prevention hotlines ... well, whatever, we've had this discussion.

I'm upset that Anthony Bourdain took his own life; it seems I'm not the only person who will miss him; and of course there were people far personally closer to him than me.

That that was his right - of course - and despite a figure of speech, I'm not really angry with him for doing it. More just sad.

I am not a mental health professional, but I guess, as with Robin Williams, future articles will observe/describe a history of depression.

missing him being sad..we make our own emotions the key here, thats what bugs me.
all we'll hear about now is how to prevent someone elses death.

again i ask...who has the right to tell another person when they can pass on.
are there rules? times and dates? special occasions? who makes the list up?
oh i know...death only comes when 'god' wants you, like he wanted all those puerto ricans
who's bodies werent found for Months. he wanted them badly. :roll:

sorry we mix religion in with the rights to live and the rights to pass on. death only means youre
not here to keep spending money for the machine; they will miss your money, sad there too.

if youre a kid playing with your phone as a lifestyle, sure we dont, no one wants, to see you off yourself
when youve not given life a chance for any fucking fun or pleasure at all. i get that.

thats quite different from a grown adult who chooses not to partake in the fucking misery contained
in the average daily life, let alone the highly deprived countries where life is unimaginable for most
mericans to fathom.
hey, dont kill yourself keep suffering we like the suffering others. :?

many many farmers, one time farmers, in India are killing themselves. no purpose no life all loss, the
corps took the land took the farms used "trade" to take the profits off what the small farmer made.
he's left with starvation, his family has nothing. death is a reprieve.

when humans lose all quality of life, the joy of living, what is their point of hanging around
being barked at by politicians calling them names...shit hole countries...welfare bums...druggies...
...losers..

cut the wailing over the suicide rates all the ads commercials phone numbers blah blah.
it doesnt mean shit but remaining humans being scared of death.
..scared becuz someone else decided to go.

how selfish is that. the ole..think more about my loss!!! im sad!!
go away. stop. just stop.

that veteran pal...he doesnt have to suffer and be treated like shit anymore. im glad for him.
he was Very Brave led a very good life and he wasnt going to be fucked with anymore.
im ok with that.
sure its a shock..to me...but its relief for him.

how do you convince anthony bourdain, World traveler who has literally seen it all, how do
you convince him to stay?...put him in jail? send him to a nut ward? lock him up?
srsly. is that all we've got left after fucking up the earth and land so bigly. cages?

if that isnt a yuge message im not sure what is.

Last edited by rainwater on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

because most people don't really know someone personally who has committed suicide and it hits them somewhat hard because we care for tony and kate etc.

and if you do personally know someone who committed, it's not like it gets world wide news coverage. it's more of a family and friends attempt at understanding and empathy.

but if any good of a very sad act of the rich and famous committing suicide comes out of it, well its better then ignoring it.

rip

Or, knows someone who made an attempt, or, had to call a suicide hotline or go to crisis texline/741741 themselves.

I think the other thing that happens is people do want to know if there is anything they could have done, or signs they can look for in friends in loved ones that they are thinking of either suicide or self-harm.

Suicide is still a major issue for a lot of communities, including LGBTQ, vets, seniors, disabled, mental health, and there are a whole lot of people who hit all of those catetories at once. And when these stories hit the news and everybody's timelines, it can have the effect of exacerbating feelings and ideations that might already there for them.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

there are many "categories" of humans who decide to check out.
some are none of the above mentioned, theyre just people who lived down the street.
not gay not vets not nuthin but the guy who mowed his lawn.

we, humans, keep making these large judgements over others behaviors mostly to satisfy
our own selves.
someone dies and we pacify ourselves dwelling on those who are left crying.
its a weird dynamic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 am 

Or, knows someone who made an attempt, or, had to call a suicide hotline or go to crisis texline/741741 themselves.

I think the other thing that happens is people do want to know if there is anything they could have done, or signs they can look for in friends in loved ones that they are thinking of either suicide or self-harm.

Suicide is still a major issue for a lot of communities, including LGBTQ, vets, seniors, disabled, mental health, and there are a whole lot of people who hit all of those catetories at once. And when these stories hit the news and everybody's timelines, it can have the effect of exacerbating feelings and ideations that might already there for them.

the one thing i think i know about suicide is if a person really wants to take their own life, their friends and family will not be able to stop them. i write that and yet i super hesitate to post it. but i believe it to be true so . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:19 am 
Board Emeritus

the one thing i think i know about suicide is if a person really wants to take their own life, their friends and family will not be able to stop them. i write that and yet i super hesitate to post it. but i believe it to be true so . . .

Well, there's desire. Then there's suicidal thoughts and "ideation", there's making a plan, there's action on a plan, there's the method of the plan, there's attempts that succeed and attempts that fail using the method...and any number of gray areas in between.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:21 am 

Well, there's desire. Then there's suicidal thoughts and "ideation", there's making a plan, there's action on a plan, there's the method of the plan, there's attempts that succeed and attempts that fail using the method...and any number of gray areas in between.

i'm not saying that anyone is beyond help. but chances are it needs to be professional help. imo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:27 am 
Board Emeritus

i'm not saying that anyone is beyond help. but chances are it needs to be professional help. imo.

Yeah every case is different. It's why suicide prevention orgs, hotlines and crisis text line/741741 exist. Oh, and also why suicide attempts that fail are no longer a crime. At least not here, it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:31 am 
Board Emeritus

Also, this came out yesterday:

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says - NBC

Quote:
Only half of people who died by suicide had diagnosed mental health conditions.

Suicide rates are up by 30 percent across the nation since 1999, federal health officials reported Thursday.

And only about half the people who died by suicide had a known mental health condition, even though depression had been thought to be the major cause of suicide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

While many cases of mental illness may have been diagnosed, the CDC also noted that relationship stress, financial troubles and substance abuse were contributing to the trends.

“From 1999 to 2015, suicide rates increased among both sexes, all racial/ethnic groups, and all urbanization levels,” the CDC researchers wrote in their report.

Bush43 era, Dot Bomb era, Great Recesion, 14 years of war, opiod epidemic...lots happened in 17 those years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:40 am 

Yeah every case is different. It's why suicide prevention orgs, hotlines and crisis text line/741741 exist. Oh, and also why suicide attempts that fail are no longer a crime. At least not here, it isn't.

all those options you listed are professionals and friends and family should encourage people to seek professional help. and they should talk openly to the person in trouble. but i don't believe we (their friends and family) are equipped in mental health issues to truly be able to stop them. friends and family tend to feel guilt about something that is truly out of our control.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:46 am 

Oh, and also why suicide attempts that fail are no longer a crime. At least not here, it isn't.

1972 we changed our laws to make it no longer a crime. 2011 ish we changed our law to allow assisted suicide.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:12 am 
Board Emeritus

all those options you listed are professionals and friends and family should encourage people to seek professional help. and they should talk openly to the person in trouble. but i don't believe we (their friends and family) are equipped in mental health issues to truly be able to stop them. friends and family tend to feel guilt about something that is truly out of our control.

Yes this is why LGBTQ orgs for instance, especially ones that work with young people, always have resources, and use each other as resources that direct people to professional help.

The striking thing about the NBC News article about the 33% increase in suicide is that the CDC claims only half who died by suicide had diagnosed mental health conditions. Diagnosis is one thing. Treatment is another, and what's actually going on in the life of the person at the time is yet another. And if you're a suicidal kid who's gay and in therapy for depression but can't tell their parents/friends/family why they're depressed and they have a plan...

It's taken us 50 years, but we do have those institutions, now. But that's just one example/model.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:13 am 
Board Emeritus

Anybody here watch "13 Reasons Why"?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 am 

Anybody here watch "13 Reasons Why"?

i did and i thought it was well done

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 am 
Board Emeritus

i did and i thought it was well done

I loved that show. It's not perfect but damn if they don't talk about stuff that really needs to be addressed! It's interesting that for season 2, I haven't seen a lot of adults talking about it like in season 1.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm in a very bad stretch personally, enough said, and it appears that Bourdain is just one more thing I had wrong. I'd seen his show on CNN maybe twice and tuned it out, apparently before the good stuff started. I had the impression he was just some guy eating his way around the planet, and I really don't have the time in my life for foodies. L.A. is too full of people who'll hop a jet to NYC to sample some ultra hip new restaurant, then catch the redeye back to L.A.. Meanwhile 70% of the city is oppressed groups, and some ridiculous number of people is homeless.

The last 24 hours of eulogies have convinced me that I had it all wrong. The guy, drugs and all, was as close to a saint as you're gonna get in this messed up time of history we're stuck with.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

I'm in a very bad stretch personally, enough said, and it appears that Bourdain is just one more thing I had wrong. I'd seen his show on CNN maybe twice and tuned it out, apparently before the good stuff started. I had the impression he was just some guy eating his way around the planet, and I really don't have the time in my life for foodies. L.A. is too full of people who'll hop a jet to NYC to sample some ultra hip new restaurant, then catch the redeye back to L.A.. Meanwhile 70% of the city is oppressed groups, and some ridiculous number of people is homeless.

The last 24 hours of eulogies have convinced me that I had it all wrong. The guy, drugs and all, was as close to a saint as you're gonna get in this messed up time of history we're stuck with.

{{{hugs}}}

and not knowing someone or not having time in your life for foodies isn't getting it wrong. but i am glad you see him differently now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks, Lucy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:25 pm 

I loved that show. It's not perfect but damn if they don't talk about stuff that really needs to be addressed! It's interesting that for season 2, I haven't seen a lot of adults talking about it like in season 1.

oh i didn't realize season 2 was out. i'm one of those people who let netflix lapse on and off then binge. think i'll wait until mindhunter season 2 starts to renew. you know selena gomez was a huge factor in getting season 1 made of 13 reasons why. mad props to her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:26 pm 

Thanks, Lucy.

anytime mon amie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

thought this was interesting, adding insinuation to injury.

Americans are depressed and suicidal because something is wrong with our culture

Quote:
........We often assume that people who commit suicide are mentally ill, but this isn’t always the case. There are many factors that can contribute to suicide that have nothing to do with mental illness, including loss of a relationship, loneliness, chronic illness, financial loss, history of trauma or abuse and the stigma associated with asking for help.........

Quote:
..........Rather than pathologizing the despair and emotional suffering that is a rational response to a culture that values people based on ever escalating financial and personal achievements, we should acknowledge that something is very wrong. We should stop telling people who yearn for a deeper meaning in life that they have an illness or need therapy. Instead, we need to help people craft lives that are more meaningful and built on a firmer foundation than personal success.

Yes, there are people who have chemical imbalances who should be supported and treated with medicine. But most Americans are depressed, anxious or suicidal because something is wrong with our culture, not because something is wrong with them.

Changing our culture is critical. Being honest with others about our own personal struggles and dark nights of the soul is the first step. People on the edge need to hear stories that assure them there is a way through the all-consuming pain to a meaningful life. ........

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

The guy, drugs and all, was as close to a saint as you're gonna get in this messed up time of history we're stuck with.

No, no saint.

Just honest about himself and things in a way that can be hard to find, in any celebrity culture, or celebrity chefs.

I think this is a good bio.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... -the-truth

He was painfully honest, including about his own fuckups.

Also, BTW, about how if we tossed out all the Mexicans (& other immigrants) from this country, just about every restaurant - including some 4 stars that use them in the back of house on the sly and on the cheap - particularly in your neck of the woods, might have to shut down. They were the "backbone of the industry".
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/201 ... story.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

OMG, you'd lose the whole L.A. restaurant business, and a lot of the day labor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

and in 1999 the population was about 279,000,000....today its over 331,000,000.
of course the death rate and the suicide rate will rise accordingly.
so this "30%" increase doesnt mean much.

there is a suicide every 40 seconds on this earth. stats suggest there are 123 suicides in US each day.
id bet many of them are due to medical illness, end of life illness, and many make decisions accordingly.
id doubt this number decreases since the boomers are the leading edge of seniors at this time,
the largest birth group to come along with coroners ill prepared, cemetaries not prepared and
countless other ill prepared scenarios for this large grouping of humans.

im so sick of seeing stats shoved out to the public that dont really mean shit. half the story is all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, no saint.

Just honest about himself and things in a way that can be hard to find, in any celebrity culture, or celebrity chefs.

I think this is a good bio.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annal ... -the-truth

He was painfully honest, including about his own fuckups.

Also, BTW, about how if we tossed out all the Mexicans (& other immigrants) from this country, just about every restaurant - including some 4 stars that use them in the back of house on the sly and on the cheap - particularly in your neck of the woods, might have to shut down. They were the "backbone of the industry".
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/201 ... story.html

the famous Hatch Green Chili's from HatchNM...now sold around the wurld?....theyve cut back on
major acreages to grow them becuz there aint no one around to harvest them, no one to pick the
beloved Hatch Green Chili's.

so fuckallyalls, go eat chili's from Monsanto's Roundup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

tough guy to the end.
thanks for the ride Anthony.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/no-dru ... rosecutor/

U.S. celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain, who killed himself in a French hotel room earlier this month,
had no narcotics or alcohol in his body when he died, a local prosecutor said on Friday.

“No trace of narcotics, no trace of any toxic products, no trace of medicines, no trace of alcohol,”
prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny told Reuters.