Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 676328002/

While they haven't striked yet they have authorized the union to call for a walkout. I know a few people who work at UPS and management is doing things that make me believe the workers will have no choice but to walk out.

I am not talking about current negotiations. I am talking about management finding ways to skirt the current contract and make working conditions a living hell. Most of it can be traced to Amazon and shame on you people who support that sweat shop and what management has to do to keep up with their demands.

I don't know what consessions management is after or raises the union wants. But, I am guessing the union is going to demand strict work rules that are etched in stone as management has shown themselves to be a dishonest broker in that regards.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

If there is a strike anywhere, it's because the company has caused it. You have to get a supermajority of workers to agree to strike to start with, and to give up weeks of pay. Stupid question.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

The past tense of strike is struck.

"The union struck against management yesterday".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

The past tense of strike is struck.

"The union struck against management yesterday".

Stupid working class cons think unions are of the devil.

Dumb, boy. dumb :rw)

I mean you HAVE to laugh at these brain dead assholes, hate unions, love traitors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/06/ups-strike-teamsters-vote/676328002/
Most of it can be traced to Amazon and shame on you people who support that sweat shop and what management has to do to keep up with their demands.

What a fucking hypocrite you are. You brag about shopping at Walmart and are proud of all the American factories they shut down and made them move their production to Mexico and China. You have said that's WHY you love to shop there.

The only reason you aren't a big Amazon fan is that you can't figure out how to operate your computer to order anything online.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

What a fucking hypocrite you are. You brag about shopping at Walmart and are proud of all the American factories they shut down and made them move their production to Mexico and China. You have said that's WHY you love to shop there.

The only reason you aren't a big Amazon fan is that you can't figure out how to operate your computer to order anything online.

Yah no kiddin. Glen brags about buying Walmart sweat shop crap all the time then attempts to shame people for shopping at Amazon?

I suspect the other reason Glen hates Amazon is because Trump does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

If there is a strike anywhere, it's because the company has caused it. You have to get a supermajority of workers to agree to strike to start with, and to give up weeks of pay. Stupid question.

Generally probably yes but, not always. In the case of UPS at least locally the management is really fucked up and generally hated by hourly employees.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yah no kiddin. Glen brags about buying Walmart sweat shop crap all the time then attempts to shame people for shopping at Amazon?

are you aware that amazon employees have to pee in waste baskets because they do not have time to go to the bathroom and make their quotas. Amazon is every lie the left tells about Walmart times 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Generally probably yes but, not always. In the case of UPS at least locally the management is really fucked up and generally hated by hourly employees.

Without the workers UPS wouldn't be in business.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

You act as if every Walmart is the only big box store that stocks products made in Mexico. Guess what hypocrites are you who shop Amazon while claiming you are for the worker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Without the workers UPS wouldn't be in business.

What happens at least locally is UPS pay is so high management figures they can get away with murder because there is no way to find another job that pays that well. I suspect that is management's attitude nationwide.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

You act as if every Walmart is the only big box store that stocks products made in Mexico. Guess what hypocrites are you who shop Amazon while claiming you are for the worker.

Walmart is the one that forced companies to shut down American factories and move the work to Mexico and China or they would quit buying their goods. And you are PROUD of that, and brag that's why you shop there. What a stinkin' hypocrite you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

What happens at least locally is UPS pay is so high management figures they can get away with murder because there is no way to find another job that pays that well. I suspect that is management's attitude nationwide.

Well, they may well have a wake-up call, and the biggest strike in years. And they'll lose, and then you'll whine how the union is mean to UPS. I can already write your script.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep! He never said a word against them before Trump decided to go after them. Now they're the devil to him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

UPS Strike Whose to Blame?

Youse to blame, glen.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not so long ago, if UPS were threatened with a strike, FEDEX would break a sweat. There was no way FEDEX could handle UPS's volume. UPS knew it.

You don't hear that much panic anymore. Fedex is into ground and there are a lot of carriers out there to help pick up the slack. So UPS has much to lose in a strike. Market share they might never get back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Figure out yet that labor is expense for capital?

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 am 
Board Emeritus

Not so long ago, if UPS were threatened with a strike, FEDEX would break a sweat. There was no way FEDEX could handle UPS's volume. UPS knew it.

You don't hear that much panic anymore. Fedex is into ground and there are a lot of carriers out there to help pick up the slack. So UPS has much to lose in a strike. Market share they might never get back.

Fedex uses a lot of private contractors and those guys work themselves to death
I looked imto it years ago but felt I couldn't keep up the pace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am 
Board Emeritus

the bosses

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

Don't start me on losing unions and work becoming more like it was in the 1890s.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
Policy Wonk

No related to a UPS strike but there is talk UPS won't be delivering packages on Saturday in December
which is going to cause major delays in the holiday season. Likely they will do what they usually do
which is to dump pallets after pallets of their parcels on the back dock of every Post Office which will
cause some more 14 hour days for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

They also hire contractors. One was operating out of a U-Haul (a real one, not the generic term) on the same residential street corner for a month. They put up a sign to that effect, so the cops wouldn't chase them away. It said something to the effect of "UPS Distribution Center."

The neighbors must have loved that.

"One bomb was shown on TV, and the American people bought that war. War is show business."
--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I like the idea of drop-off centers where UPS or FedEx could drop-off the packages and email you the package(s) are there for pickup. This eliminates porch thefts or packages being left outside during inclement weather. The vendors could alter their website ordering page to indicate whether the package is to be sent to the person's home/office or to a drop-off center. It saves the delivery company time and money to be able to deliver a lot of packages to one location than to multiple locations and eases the workload on the workers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm not sure that's why they were doing it, but were it in some kind of facility that wasn't a U-Haul parked in front of people's houses, it might be a good idea at that. Theft has joined the many ways that people pay to stay in L.A.. They follow the trucks around and pounce.

--"Wag the Dog"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Stupid working class cons think unions are of the devil.

Dumb, boy. dumb :rw)

I mean you HAVE to laugh at these brain dead assholes, hate unions, love traitors

if it were up to you would make working conditions unfair and awful just for trump supporters?