RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:37 am 
Policy Wonk

San Francisco Board of Supervisors President London Breed is now the first African-American Woman to Elected Mayor of San Francisco.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/0 ... yors-race/.

Former State Senator Mark Leno conceded defeat yesterday afternoon.

Senator Diane Feinstein became the first Woman to become Mayor after the assassination of the Mayor George Moscone on November 27, 1978.

Feinstein late became the first elected Mayor of San Francisco as well.

London Breed served as Acting Mayor of San Francisco after the sudden death of Mayor Ed Lee in December 2017. Lee was the Asian-American ever to be elected Mayor of San Francisco.

Supervisor Mark Farrell became Mayor after the Board of Supervisors for the City and County of San Francisco appointed him Mayor. Farrell will step down as Mayor as soon as Breed takes the Oath of Office.

Breed will become the 45th. Mayor of San Francisco.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont know the politics of any of them, other than they are all democrats and liberals I assume.

This is a big deal though. Good deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont know the politics of any of them, other than they are all democrats and liberals I assume.

This is a big deal though. Good deal.

Yes, they are.

But as you can imagine, there were, um..issues. See this post viewtopic.php?p=409063#p409063

I could deal with any of them as mayor, but Ms. Kim (I know a former roommate of hers from years ago) kind of stepped in it with the joint-endorsement gimmick. I do think she is going to probably run for state assembly, which I hope she'll do.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, they are.

But as you can imagine, there were, um..issues. See this post viewtopic.php?p=409063#p409063

I could deal with any of them as mayor, but Ms. Kim (I know a former roommate of hers from years ago) kind of stepped in it with the joint-endorsement gimmick. I do think she is going to probably run for state assembly, which I hope she'll do.

Embarrassment of riches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

I was hoping it would Mark Leno, he is personal friend and a really stand up guy. Mayor-Elect Breed tried having both ways while serving as Acting Mayor and President of Board of Supervisors.

Supervisor Kim has announced she in NOT running for reelection. She has eyes on Sacramento.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was hoping it would Mark Leno, he is personal friend and a really stand up guy. Mayor-Elect Breed tried having both ways while serving as Acting Mayor and President of Board of Supervisors.

Supervisor Kim has announced she in NOT running for reelection. She has eyes on Sacramento.

I have a question
Isnt it better to have a qualified person hold down the job who isnt going to run for the office. By doing it that way it gives all those who do run an even starting point

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a question
Isnt it better to have a qualified person hold down the job who isnt going to run for the office. By doing it that way it gives all those who do run an even starting point

If so, then why don't Republican governors put such people into positions when someone leaves office or dies?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a question

That was the reason given behind ousting Breed after Lee died. But Leno and Kim played some dirty pool which imo made them look a little desperate and ingratiate themselves with Bernieville, still seething about the 2016 primary season :problem: .

A lot of this is only-in-SF politics, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

I have a question

Charter for the City and County of San Francisco is somewhat clear on this. In the event of the death of the Mayor, the President of the Board of Supervisors becomes Mayor.

That is what happened in 1978 when George Moscone was killed and then Board President Diane Feinstein became Mayor. Feinstein went to win two terms in her own right.

That is what happened in 2017 when Mayor Ed Lee died and Board President London Breed became "Acting Mayor". She will begin her first term at the end of June.

The election was scheduled anyway and Lee would not have eligible to run as he would have been termed out.

Breed overstepped when she refused step down from her position as President of Board of Supervisors. She would have been serving in both Executive and the Legislative Branches, which to me is a conflict of interest.

San Francisco Politics have always been murky, being both a City and a County makes it difficult at best to govern at times. The number of times the CCSF Charter has been amended proves that.

Mayor-Elect Breed will need all the luck she can lay her hands on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

She won't need any luck, just a steady hand. The SF mayoral vote map was Castro for Leno, Mission for Kim, and a sea of blue for Breed basically everywhere else, despite Progistan's attempts to cast her as a tool of the whites (an old hat trick they've been playing with her since she first ran for Board of Supes. Never works.)

Better tactics next time, Bernieville.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

If so, then why don't Republican governors put such people into positions when someone leaves office or dies?

Because they want to give the parties preferred candidate a leg up.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

Because they want to give the parties preferred candidate a leg up.

Then why do you ask Democrats to do something that you KNOW that Republicans won't do? Tell you what - get your party to do that, then we'll talk. Otherwise, you're just trying to set a double standard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Then why do you ask Democrats to do something that you KNOW that Republicans won't do? Tell you what - get your party to do that, then we'll talk. Otherwise, you're just trying to set a double standard.

I was speaking of this particular choice. it surprised me that they wouldn't want to give the parties preferred choice a leg up. I believe it also makes the future race much more fair. No double standard, it is just something that is pretty rare.

Maybe the party was wanting to give the lady they chose a leg up on future races when she runs for other offices. Don't know but, I do hope she does a good job and represents the desires and what is best for the people of SF.

While Green Bay and Milwaukee are my two favorite cities. SF is the friendliest and most polite city I have ever delivered a car to. When I have the street blocked in NY City people flip you off and swear at you. In SF they literally tell you to take your time and be careful not to fall. If it were closer I would love to go on vacation there. Just because the people are so nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was speaking of this particular choice. it surprised me that they wouldn't want to give the parties preferred choice a leg up. I believe it also makes the future race much more fair. No double standard, it is just something that is pretty rare.

But that's what happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 am 
Board Emeritus

Haha Mother Jones has been reading my posts.

San Francisco’s First Black Female Mayor Defies the Liberal Litmus Test

Quote:
In many ways, Breed is the latest in a long line of black politicians who have seemingly been at odds with the city’s white progressives. In the 1960s, San Francisco’s high-poverty Tenderloin neighborhood was home to a majority of its LGBT community. In a historic move, a group of mainly poor white neighborhood activists began organizing to secure federal anti-poverty funds, which until then had been doled out mostly based on race. They ran into opposition from representatives of the city’s two major African American communities, who scoffed at the idea of diverting resources from their neglected neighborhoods. The white activists’ effort was ultimately successful, but only after they teamed up with Latino and Filipino residents who lived nearby, according to longtime activist and journalist Randy Shaw’s book, The Tenderloin: Sex, Crime and Resistance in the Heart of San Francisco.

Breed’s supporters still think the city’s progressive leaders are both willfully ignoring meaningful racial equity while maliciously blowing racist dog whistles when it suits them. Take, for instance, the contention that Breed is a pro-development moderate. “In a place like San Francisco, where Republicans aren’t in charge, to be called a moderate is a little laughable,” says Allison.

Making things more complicated for Breed is that the skepticism about her doesn’t fall strictly along racial lines. Black organizers on the more radical end of the political spectrum have also voiced misgivings, considering Breed to be too deeply enmeshed in the city’s problematic power structure. Breed has spent years cultivating relationships with longtime black power players, proving to some that while she touts her humble beginnings, she’s actually a consummate insider. She interned for the city’s first black mayor, Willie Brown, in the Office of Housing and Neighborhood Services. For years afterward, she was executive director of the African American Art and Culture Complex in the city’s Western Addition. She considers both Brown and Sen. Kamala Harris, who spent two terms as the city’s district attorney, personal mentors. When Breed was running for district supervisor in 2012, Harris gave a rousing endorsement speech, reminiscing about seeing her run around City Hall as a young volunteer. “We understand the need to have a daughter of this district represent this district,” Harris said.

In a lot of ways, the SF mayor's race reminded me a LOT of why I was at first a Bernie supporter then switched mainly because the Bernieville "anybody but London" antics were all too familiar. I would have had no problem with either the politics of Leno or Kim. Then the progs went into their old act. Tired of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:11 am 
Board Emeritus

And this just happened. Joe Rodriguez is a journalist who was in the tank for Leno-Kim. Tang was a supe from Breed country. (Which is most of the city.)

Supervisor Katy Tang announces she will not seek re-election, leaving open race for Sunset seat - SF Examiner

Quote:
Tang was a reliable vote for the moderate-Democrat wing of the Board of Supervisors, and her absence may represent an opportunity for progressive supervisors to secure a seventh member of their wing following the electoral win of District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman. Should a progressive choose to run to oppose Ho it would be an uphill battle, however, as the homeowner-heavy district tends to skew towards moderate political sensibilities.

Tang was first appointed to the Board of Supervisors in 2013, and ran to fill out the remainder of Supervisor Carmen Chu’s term after she was elected as city assessor. Tang again ran for election in 2014, and was eligible to run for her seat for a last time this November.