RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

I always say if you cant fix a problem criminally, go to the courts.

Now soon that will be gone, you wont be able to do ANYTHING like this, but for now we can.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... ldrens?cd-

Quote:
Claims That ICE Agents Were 'Just Following Orders' Won't Save Them From Liability for Children's Suffering, Legal Scholars Warn
"While such employees may say they were 'just following orders,' their highest command is to uphold the Constitution. This overrides any contrary decision from ICE or even Trump himself."

A new report finds that individual Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents could be held personally liable for the suffering of families and children under the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy—and warns that the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court could harm the chance of anyone being held accountable for the forcible separation of families.

U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw's order that the government reunite all children under the age of five with their parents went largely unheeded yesterday, as the court-imposed deadline passed with fewer than half of the children being returned to their families.

The disregard for Sabraw's order would ordinarily put officials including Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar at risk for being held in contempt of court, according to Attorney IO, a resource service for attorneys that released the new report on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read the article. I read, "A new report finds ... ." Then I found "Attorney IO, a resource service for attorneys that released the new report on Wednesday." There was a link to the report there: https://www.attorneyio.com/major-risks- ... ployees_be

Then I read the report. The report's a decidedly odd report, not an acidemic kind of report. Much of the discussion in the report which is supposed to be about the topic of suing ICE agents is about Kavanaugh. It is like the subject matter of the report is being used as a sounding board for criticizing Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh sucks according to the report.

Kavanaugh really does suck. But because the topic of the report appears to be being used as a sounding board to criticize Kavanaugh I wonder, I question if the report is credible about the subject it's supposed to be about.

I don't think it's very likely that someone could sue individual ICE agents and win a judgment in a trial court. And if one did on the off chance win a judgment, I doubt it would hold up under appeal.

When the report switched over to criticizing Kavanaugh full time it tends to contradicted its earlier statements about that possibility. The report which says individual ICE agents can be held liable doubts that individual ICE agents can be held liable. :|

An odd report. But Kavanaugh does indeed suck. On that point I do agree with that report.