RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Didn't we have a poster or two around here that favored this very thing? Evil.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... your-rates

Quote:
With little public scrutiny, the health insurance industry has joined forces with data brokers to vacuum up personal details about hundreds of millions of Americans, including, odds are, many readers of this story.

The companies are tracking your race, education level, TV habits, marital status, net worth. They're collecting what you post on social media, whether you're behind on your bills, what you order online. Then they feed this information into complicated computer algorithms that spit out predictions about how much your health care could cost them.

Are you a woman who recently changed your name? You could be newly married and have a pricey pregnancy pending. Or maybe you're stressed and anxious from a recent divorce. That, too, the computer models predict, may run up your medical bills.

Are you a woman who has purchased plus-size clothing? You're considered at risk of depression. Mental health care can be expensive.

Low-income and a minority? That means, the data brokers say, you are more likely to live in a dilapidated and dangerous neighborhood, increasing your health risks....

...Patient advocates warn that using unverified, error-prone "lifestyle" data to make medical assumptions could lead insurers to improperly price plans — for instance, raising rates based on false information — or discriminate against anyone tagged as high cost. And, they say, the use of the data raises thorny questions that should be debated publicly, such as: Should a person's rates be raised because algorithms say they are more likely to run up medical bills? Such questions would be moot in Europe, where a strict law took effect in May that bans trading in personal data.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, I figured, Drak, you'd be posting about public health and how it's affected by social class. There's quite a literature on that. :D

But, yeah, this other subject is also interesting. Yes, your health insurer wants more and more data on you, ... genetic profiling, perhaps a day to day tracker of everything you eat and ingest :D , some of them are now offering their customers free Fitbits with ... yeah, guess what's coming next, uploads of their data to the insurer on constant basis ... perhaps micro-tracking of how often you go to the gym. Plus they've never gotten over not being able to know and surcharge all your pre-existing conditions.

Our ol pal Tritumi would frequently say the advance of this stuff was inevitable due to the rise of Big Data ... and sure, the technology keeps coming, but this is why society needs to make the calls on how the technology of what I guess we could call life surveillance (mostly by corporations and insurers, not the government) should or shouldn't be used through regulation. The funny thing is he wanted your insurer to literally track everything you eat, calorie by calorie, slice of cake by slice of cake :mrgreen: , and called himself a libertarian. :roll: BTW, he seemed to like this idea, but then was afraid that as society went cashless it was really all a plot to make us bow down to Big Brother, as if cryptocurrency wasn't widely available for all your terrorist and anarchist shopping needs. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Kernal about this as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, and he also called himself a libertarian.

It's odd how much two so-called RW-libbercons wanted health insurance corporations to be able to track and surveil peoples' private lives. (How much they eat, exercise, drink alcohol, etc.). But, then I've noticed the right-libbercons seem to be fine with corporate life surveillance, as long as the gubmint isn't doing it. BTW, I understand your insurer should adjust rates on so-called lifestyle variables. I'm not disagreeing with it on general principles. I understand why an older person pays more for health insurance than a younger person and a smoker over a nonsmoker, and a 400 lb guy more than one of normal weight - but part of ACA is to help build risk pools that equalize some of that out., "we're all in this together" and even if you're fat you deserve to live... stuff that Trump is undermining. And also, up until recently, most of that was based on an application you filled out for insurance, and not micro-targeting and surveillance of your life.

In general, I've found the right-libbercons seem to be fine with a lot of invasion into other peoples' lives and personal habits, just as long as it's not themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

The impact of big tech is being felt. And it isn’t anywhere near done. So much time and so many words have been invested in the danger of government and big tech. Yet, there is far less, imo, in the danger of private control of data via big tech. We all know about Facebook and the piece of crap Zuckerberg but how many look into the impact of the other three parts of GAFA, Google, Apple and Amazon? Rule by autocratic oligarchy is bad no matter who (who/whom? I always screw that up) the oligarchs are.

I think we are being confronted with what might be a universal truth. Small “d” democracy is existentially incompatible with capitalism. This is not based upon class but upon the concepts of continuously expanding markets, creative destruction, loss of privacy via gatekeepers and tech and a belief structure that markets equal freedom.

Control. Who wields it? How is it wielded? Who benefits?

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

The impact of big tech is being felt. And it isn’t anywhere near done. So much time and so many words have been invested in the danger of government and big tech. Yet, there is far less, imo, in the danger of private control of data via big tech. We all know about Facebook and the piece of crap Zuckerberg but how many look into the impact of the other three parts of GAFA, Google, Apple and Amazon? Rule by autocratic oligarchy is bad no matter who (who/whom? I always screw that up) the oligarchs are.

I think we are being confronted with what might be a universal truth. Small “d” democracy is existentially incompatible with capitalism. This is not based upon class but upon the concepts of continuously expanding markets, creative destruction, loss of privacy via gatekeepers and tech and a belief structure that markets equal freedom.

Control. Who wields it? How is it wielded? Who benefits?

i find it all ghastly and refuse and avoid it at all cost.

im extremely pissed right now since i HAD to email a local pol and Had to put all this personal info.
damn im still pissed.

one of these days im gonna set this fucking pc on fire and be done with this loose lips shit. 4ever.
if i were in the amazon basin i wouldnt have any of this shit would i.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I dont believe there's any room for this sort of shit in the EU or Canada. And then we are only spending twice per capita for our healthcare in most of these countries.

Best healthcare in the world eh Mitch?