It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Quote:
TODAY: Confirmation Vote /Ryan Bounds for Fed Appeals Ct/ San Francisco
This appointment & due to be comfirmed today is Yet Another case of McConnell going around the Law to seat a RW judge.

THIS VOTE TO CONFIRM, TODAY IS STACKING THE DECK AGAINST THE PUBLIC.

HERE:

The Democrats opposed Bounds in part because of conservative op-eds he wrote while an undergraduate at Stanford and because as a conservative, he would contribute to the rightward shift of the federal judiciary that marks one of Trump's most successful initiatives.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/07/18/po ... -s-senate/

Senate Ends Debate on Portland Prosecutor Nominated For Federal Judgeship By Narrowest Possible Vote
Ryan Bounds likely to win confirmation this week for coveted vacancy on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

SNIP

The Ninth Circuit, which covers nine western states including Oregon and two Pacific islands, is generally regarded as the most liberal of the country's federal appeals courts.

President Donald J. Trump nominated Bounds last year upon the advice of U.S. Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.), the only Republican member of Oregon's congressional delegation.

Typically, federal judicial nomination are the province of a state's U.S. senators. But because both of Oregon's senators, U.S. Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) are Democrats, Trump chose to ignore the candidates they selected.

In the tradition-bound Senate, nominees usually cannot move forward over the objection of home state senators but this year Senate President Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Senate Judiciary Chair Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) ignored that tradition and the objections of Wyden and Merkley.

MORE AT LINK..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

please take it back to DU.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Take what back, the story about this attack on our courts?

Why is reporting on what is happening to our courts a problem?

Is it because I am using someone else's comments? I agree with the comments.

Look at THIS SHIT

Quote:
President Donald J. Trump nominated Bounds last year upon the advice of U.S. Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.), the only Republican member of Oregon's congressional delegation.

Typically, federal judicial nomination are the province of a state's U.S. senators. But because both of Oregon's senators, U.S. Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) are Democrats, Trump chose to ignore the candidates they selected.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:33 pm 

It appears the tradition of "Blue Slips" is now history.

Oddly, Bounds nomination was withdrawn today. Apparently some somewhat radical college writings popped up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:16 am 
Board Emeritus

Trump continues to pack the courts with ideologues, and incompetents.

This was as of November 2017. Probably has gotten worse.

TRUMP IS NOMINATING UNQUALIFIED JUDGES AT AN UNPRECEDENTED RATE
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-nominati ... ght-710263

President Donald Trump has nominated more unqualified judicial appointees than any other president so quickly into his first term, a whopping four out of 58, according to the nation's preeminent legal group.

The American Bar Association’s Standing Committee of the Federal Judiciary, which has been evaluating judicial appointments since the 1950s, has assessed 53 of Trump's 58 nominees and found four "not qualified."

“It’s certainly unprecedented,” said Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond law school and expert in judicial nominations.

The Republican-led Senate Judiciary Committee has already approved three of the four unqualified judges, who are awaiting a simple majority confirmation vote in the Senate. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated he will push through the Trump nominees.

[snip][end]

I expect them not to care if they are conservative ideologues, but they should care if they are not qualified.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

This was the reason NOT to hold your nose or repeat stupid fucking nonsense about Hillary.

THIS was why. Your Gay and Brown and Women friends are gonna pay and pay DEARLY