RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Had to go to DMV lately? Six hour waits. Appointments months in advance, than you wait for hours anyway. All because of that ridiculous REAL ID law.

AKA Your Papers, Please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do I have a REAL id if I have a CA drivers license that I have had uninterrupted for 45 years?

I now remember what this is, sort of. some states dont have it, etc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Do I have a REAL id if I have a CA drivers license that I have had uninterrupted for 45 years?

I now remember what this is, sort of. some states dont have it, etc

Per the CA DV:
Quote:
3. Do I need to get a REAL ID card right away?

No. There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. Valid California driver license/ID cards will be accepted by TSA to board a domestic flight and by federal agents to enter secure federal facilities until October 1, 2020. Additionally, if you have a valid U.S. passport or U.S. passport card, military ID, or other federally approved identification, you may continue to use this as your form of identification after October 1, 2020, for federal purposes.

If you do not apply for a REAL ID, you will receive a Federal Non-Compliant card with the words “Federal Limits Apply,” when you renew your current driver license or ID card.

IMPORTANT: Check with the federal facility/military base before you visit to verify their identification requirements.
CA DMV FAQ

I checked my CA driver's license and I don't need to renew it until this time next year so I'll plan ahead and either do it on-line or in-person by making an appointment. Since I'm under 70, I can apply on-line and have a new license mailed to me.

What I'd like to know are the reasons for why people need to visit the DMV in the first place. If it's for a license renewal and they haven't changed their residence then they should be able to do it on-line. Same thing goes for vehicle registration except they can also visit a DMV kiosk and accomplish their renewal there. I can understand people selling or buying a vehicle or getting a new (first time) license having to go to the DMV but a lot of the simple stuff like renewals can be done on-line in a few minutes. Also, since the Real ID requirements don't kick in until October 20, 2020 California driver's licenses and ID cards are accepted by the TSA for domestic flights so most people can don't have to rush to get the Real ID cards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

not sure what you or Ca means by 'real id'....what i ran into in CO was some strange 'clause of residency'
shit..i think thats how it read. some new WTF do you mean thing.

not MIL ID retired card 100% dis NOT good enough. passport? NOT good enough. ALL the other
docs theyve already had and of course ive kept a file on, nope not enough suddenly.

NM is being sued by class action since NO ONE HERE CAN GET A FUCKING DRIVER LICENSE ANYMORE.
born and raised HERE and they CANT RENEW THEIR FUCKING DL.

i did manage to satisfy CO not long ago, canNOT EVEN recall what stupid shit i supplied them WHILE
RENEWING MY CO DL. not a new one, a RENEWAL.
yah this is fucked up and causing some states, like NM, a wrath of hell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

one thing they seemed highly intent on...was having a NEW CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
YOUR ORIGINAL ONE DONT WORK NO MORE.

your birth state MUST provide you at a COST a new certified stamped BCert.
but you needed that for a passport long ago if you got a passport, for those who didnt
now you face the same task. it aint cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

oh, and getting your birth state to issue a certified BC?....yah, thats a long bit of document fun too.
get ready.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm 
Policy Wonk

I know my original birth certificate issued in 1963 did not suffice in Florida. I had to order a "new" certificate from the county of my birth and pay close to $30.00 to get it. There was not discount for multiples, it was an each price. The State also pushed you to an "official" third party vendor who could expedite the process for about $75.00 plus shipping, so close to $100.00 for something I already had. So they obviously sell access to your information, for profit. That company hounded me via email for two weeks to continue the process of paying them over double the actual cost.

I can see where this would be an issue for multiple reasons. Maybe you don't have $30.00, maybe you don't have time to make a call or search the inter webs. I have no doubt that your information will be sold off who know what you agree when you click to buy at the website of the third party.

What if you are elderly, poor, don't have access to a computer? Seems we are one step closer to "papers please".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm 
Political Junkie

i've been going to the same small DMV here in Mn. for 30 years or better. It's never been more than a 2-5 minute wait. And friendly.....the best! Don't have your paper work in order....They'll fill in all the blanks, answer any questions you have, and even make a list of what you need for your return. Hell, when dad died he had 10 different vehicles under his name. It was a nightmare in missing paperwork. They walked us through the whole thing. What we needed, what we didn't, and so polite and patient. It was recently i asked one of them why this little DMV was such a wonder to go to when the others are so rude and such a pain in the ass. i didn't know it......The are a private contractor working for the State. They valued costumer satisfaction. :shock: 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:50 pm 
Policy Wonk

Gail and I are going up to Pollock Pines at the end of the month. There is DMV in Placerville, I'm going to make an appointment there, the lines in Corte Madera are killer.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

i've been going to the same small DMV here in Mn. for 30 years or better. It's never been more than a 2-5 minute wait. And friendly.....the best! Don't have your paper work in order....They'll fill in all the blanks, answer any questions you have, and even make a list of what you need for your return. Hell, when dad died he had 10 different vehicles under his name. It was a nightmare in missing paperwork. They walked us through the whole thing. What we needed, what we didn't, and so polite and patient. It was recently i asked one of them why this little DMV was such a wonder to go to when the others are so rude and such a pain in the ass. i didn't know it......The are a private contractor working for the State. They valued costumer satisfaction. :shock: 8-)

The biggest problems are people waiting too long before renewing or applying for a license/ID and not having their paperwork in order when they arrive. The thing I learned long ago was get all your paperwork together the first time so when you arrive the clerk can process it quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm 
Board Emeritus

Apparently, there is a "secret" DMV located in the Legislative Office Building in Sacramento for use by state employees.
Quote:
If you enter the Legislative Office Building in downtown Sacramento, pass through security and hook an immediate left, then walk to the end of the hallway and take another right, at the end of that hallway is an unmarked door with a peephole.
styles/abbcode/images/under.gif
Inside you will find the Capitol office of the California Department of Motor Vehicles, an unlisted branch where elected officials can register their cars, renew their driver’s licenses — or apply for the new federally-mandated Real ID card that has been driving up wait times at DMV field offices across the state.

From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Friday, with an hour break at noon for lunch, in-person service is available by appointment, according to a brochure obtained by The Sacramento Bee. The office serves current and retired members of the Legislature and Congress; current legislative staff; employees of the Legislative Analyst’s Office, the Legislative Counsel and the Legislative Data Center; and elected and appointed officials.

SacBee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our passports expire next year, it is probably easier for us to just renew those.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

Apparently, there is a "secret" DMV located in the Legislative Office Building in Sacramento for use by state employees.

This was covered by the local CBS Affiliate. First Dems shot down the audit of the DMV and now we learn abou the DMV for Legislators only. Both sides are wrong on this. There should be an audit and that office needs to close.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.