RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

15 contract workers from PA were injured when 80,000 lbs of hot ash fell on them, they were told to clean the dust collector and that it was empty acording to the video in the first link

15 employees hospitalized after incident at Zug Island steel mill in Detroit

Quote:
An incident at the Great Lakes Works facility on Zug Island Friday night put 15 employees in local hospitals.

A steel mill spokesperson said the incident was not an explosion but that "the issue occurred at the D4 Blast Furnace involving the dust catcher."

Fifteen contracted employees were taken to local hospitals, officials say. Since then, 12 have been released and three are still receiving treatment, according to the spokesperson.........

US Steel releases statement on Zug Island steel mill explosion

Quote:
"An incident occurred at our Great Lakes Works facility on Friday, August 10th. The issue occurred at the D4 Blast Furnace involving the dust catcher. 15 contracted Songer Services employees were taken to local hospitals. 12 were released, and 3 are receiving additional treatment. No U. S. Steel employees were injured in the incident. An investigation is ongoing at this time."

BOILERMAKERS LOCAL 169

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

15 contract workers from PA were injured when 80,000 lbs of hot ash fell on them, they were told to clean the dust collector and that it was empty acording to the video in the first link

15 employees hospitalized after incident at Zug Island steel mill in Detroit

US Steel releases statement on Zug Island steel mill explosion

BOILERMAKERS LOCAL 169

I know people from Songer. Used to be Aker Kvaerner then Aker Songer iirc.

Zug island is a toxic mess.

Told it was empty. No lockout/tagout? No blanking off pipes? Did the contractor have the workers fully trained in hazardous confined space?

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 pm 
Policy Wonk

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

3 workers remain hospitalized after blast at Zug Island Steel Mill

U.S. Steel plant where furnace blast injured 15 has history of safety woes

Quote:
......In the past five years, three people have been killed at the Great Lakes Works plant. In December 2013, a U.S. Steel employee was killed when molten metal lit the shanty he was in on fire. In April 2014, a contracted crane operator was killed when the crane he was in tipped over. In April 2015, a U.S. Steel employee was run over by a truck and killed at the plant.

The Great Lakes Works plant has been cited with 20 "serious" safety violations in the past five years and instructed to pay more than $33,000 in penalties. Some of these cases are pending.

For its part, Songer Steel has faced eight "serious" violations and paid $32,500 between two closed cases.

U.S. Steel and Songer Steel did not respond to requests for comment.

theres automation,that usually helps workers in this type of industry, then there's employment practices/staffing automation that works against them by cutting corners, adding hardship, and leaving operations shorthanded. not sure what happened here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

3 workers remain hospitalized after blast at Zug Island Steel Mill

U.S. Steel plant where furnace blast injured 15 has history of safety woes

theres automation,that usually helps workers in this type of industry, then there's employment practices/staffing automation that works against them by cutting corners, adding hardship, and leaving operations shorthanded. not sure what happened here.

About the only thing I know for sure is because this event occurred at blast furnace that some in the media can't sort it out and keep writing about a blast happening at that blast furnace. Something which appears to have not happened.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

As noted in the quote in the OP. There was no explosion. People have apparently forgotten what a blast furnace is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

The question that pops into my mind is why would you clean out dust collector if the ashes are hot? Doesn't it make sense that it would be done when the ashes are cooled or slightly warm?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Number6 wrote:
The question that pops into my mind is why would you clean out dust collector if the ashes are hot? Doesn't it make sense that it would be done when the ashes are cooled or slightly warm?

I dont know what the procedure is exactly but that sounds reasonable, seems like it would need to be emptied first as well though, those things would likely require down time. could be the maintenance schedule was disrupted and backed up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't know how big this dust collector is. I was in one where if only 80,000 lbs of ash were in it, it would have been pretty well mucked out. It was an area about as big as a high school gymnasium with seating for the whole school.

There is the amount in the collector which is the normal operating load, that's a range with full at the high end. Then there is the amount which will normally remain after the automatic unloaded has unloaded all it can. What remains is is the ash which fills corners and clods and drifts sticking to surfaces

Hot is kind of a relative term. Would that be hot as how hot it is when the collector is normally operating. Or would that be how hot it would be after 24 hours of having been shut down. Or three days after a shut down.

After three days one could still cook an egg in hot pockets one would fine if one were sifting around in the ash. There would be air movement from the outside washing through the compartment if they were servicing it. That ventilation equipment is a part of the normal operating equipment, it just depends on how it is turned on whether it is collecting dust or is supplying guys with fresh air and keeping them from getting roasted.

The one I was in while it was still hot, I went into it on the third day after shutdown. I was in a space where the temperature was well above one hundred, one ten or one twenty. There were surfaces which were hot enough to scald skin. People were in there along with the construction crew who were scooping residual ash up and hauling it out.

I was in there scooping through small amounts of ash to find bolt heads and was cutting them off with a torch. Four, hour and half sessions in the heat was a shift. About the seven day mark was when it was no longer hot in there. And most of what had been in there was no longer in there, it had been hauled out, and away, it was on a scrap heap somewhere.

I know all about that. But I don't know what was going on at that steel mill.

Where I was was a very large coal fired power plant. The amount of dust that dust collector collected would fill about a half mile of a mile long train a day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

What do they do with all this ash & dust once it's out?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Where the coal came out, the ash goes in. Then they cover it a hundred feet over.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 pm 
Policy Wonk

ZoWie wrote:
What do they do with all this ash & dust once it's out?

this interesting article about what they do with the coal ash at a North Carolina plant

A Leader in the War on Poverty Opens a New Front: Pollution

Quote:
........Dr. Barber’s message to the community members in the church last week would have been largely recognizable to civil rights leaders of generations past, addressing issues of poverty and racism. But he and Mr. Gore were here in Greensboro to focus on another concern that many in the audience believed was just as insidious: pollution from North Carolina’s coal-powered electrical plants.

“Jesus said love your neighbor,” Dr. Barber told the crowd. “I don’t care how many times you tell me you love me, if you put coal ash in my water you don’t love me. Because if there was nothing wrong with the coal ash, then put it in the wealthy communities.”

Quote:
.........All coal plants generate coal ash, the hazardous powdery substance that remains after burning coal. Many plants, including the Belews Creek facility, store it on site, mixed with water in storage ponds. But a lawsuit filed in December by the Southern Environmental Law Center says that because the active storage pond at Belews Creek lacks a protective lining, it is seeping into the groundwater.

The E.P.A. links the substances in coal ash — including heavy metals like arsenic and lead — to nervous-system problems, reproductive issues and cancer. Still, the agency last month overhauled Obama-era regulations on coal ash disposal, granting more authority to states and industry. Separately, the E.P.A. this week loosened rules on air pollution from coal plants and estimated the change would result in up to 1,400 premature deaths annually by 2030.

“I think most people assume that when you live in the country that you would have clean air and water,” said Danielle Bailey-Lash, who moved to Belews Creek in 2005 but left in 2015 after she learned she had brain cancer. She does not know whether coal pollution or other factors caused it.

Belews Creek is a prime example of the kinds of communities threatened by coal ash pollution, said Lisa Evans, a lawyer for the environmental group Earthjustice, which is not involved in the suit. “Coal ash ponds are in rural areas, particularly in the Southeast. Those communities have less power and less of a voice,” she said.

“Those are the areas that do not have municipal water systems to filter and clean the water,” Ms. Evans added. “When you contaminate groundwater in a rural area, that’s their lifeline.”.........

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:29 am 
Board Emeritus

That's the environmental justice movement. Environmental racism is a social justice issue.

Pollution disproportionately impacts the poor and minorities. They usually bear the brunt of toxic waste.

It links the environment (which is more than just protecting the outdoors) to civil rights and urban issues (like lead paint).

The EPA even has a page on it. I'm shocked Donald's cronies haven't wiped it, yet.
https://www.epa.gov/environmentaljustic ... al-justice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

L.A. has a bit of a thing going with an oil well in South Central. People get sick, and all that. They're raising a ruckus, and for the first time I can remember, someone's actually listening. Whether anything comes of it, is one of those L.A. crapshoots.

They have oil wells in Beverly Hills too. Those get taken care of, as a matter of routine.

Draw your own conclusions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Zug Island has been bad for people in closeby neighborhoods health too.