Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Via HuffPo:

A Florida man who invoked the state’s controversial “stand your ground” law last month to defend fatally shooting a 28-year-old father of three following an altercation over a parking space has been charged with manslaughter.

Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested Monday after the state attorney’s office for Pinellas and Pasco counties filed the criminal charge against him for killing Markeis McGlockton in a convenience store parking lot in Clearwater.

*snip*

The dispute began after McGlockton left his car idling in a handicap space while he ran into the store to purchase snacks, his girlfriend Britany Jacobs told ABC’s “Good Morning America.” Jacobs was waiting in the car with their two children when Drejka approached and began “harassing” her for parking in a handicap spot without a permit, she said. McGlockton came over and shoved Drejka to the ground, according to Jacobs. That’s when Drejka, still on the ground, shot McGlockton in the chest, she said.

McGlockton was pronounced dead at a hospital 30 minutes later.

“He wanted somebody to be angry at,” Jacobs said of Drejka. “He just wanted someone to fight him. He was picking a fight.

ABC reported that the owner of the convenience store, who was not named, has previously called the police to report Drejka for confronting customers over parking spaces.

This man was NOT in fear of his life. He wanted to pick a fight, and someone stood up to him. He was pushed to the ground. When he pulled the gun, the man backed off. He was NOT continuing to attack. He shot the man in cold blood.

This is how people use the law to commit murder, and usually, to get away with it. And if there wasn't a video, he would have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 pm 

Via HuffPo:

[color=#800000]
This is how people use the law to commit murder, and usually, to get away with it. And if there wasn't a video, he would have.

he still might....

my understanding of concealed carry in some states you must have be able to clearly show your life was in danger to respond with deadly force, i dont see that in this case.

but it is florida.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Stand your ground is just a license to kill.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm 
Policy Wonk

This is the same state where Trayvon Martin was killed for having Skittles and Ice Tea.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

he still might....

my understanding of concealed carry in some states you must have be able to clearly show your life was in danger to respond with deadly force, i dont see that in this case.

but it is florida.

That's easy, if you are white, just say "Black guy came walking AT ME"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 pm 
Policy Wonk

This is one of the many reasons why I try and avoid going to Florida.

I'm not particularly graceful and the chance that I'd try and bump into someone is fairly decent. I'd hate to think that tripping might lead to me be gunned down.

Paranoid? Maybe. But why risk it?

Full disclosure. I've been avoiding the US since Trump took office. It has become less hospitable for foreigners. Though, I'm white, so I'd have that advantage.