RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thank you and now I will return the favor

I have completely lost the arguement about free college. So I will start yelling racists over and over.

You guys don't have to be this way. You choose to be this way.

416 migrant children remain separated weeks after deadline to reunite families - AZ Central

Quote:
It's been six weeks since a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to reunite all families separated at the border under its "zero tolerance" immigration enforcement strategy, but hundreds of children remain in government custody.

What's more, it now appears increasingly likely that hundreds of those families will never be reunited because parents that were deported from the United States intentionally or mistakenly waived their rights to reunification, their lawyers say.

"The parents face a brutal decision of whether to bring their child back in the face of potentially serious persecution or to leave a child in the United States to pursue asylum which may mean they never see their child again," said American Civil Liberties Union attorney Lee Gelernt, who led the class action lawsuit that halted family separations at the border.

"It's a decision that no parent should have to face and one that hundreds of families are now agonizing over because of the government's family separation policy," Gelernt said.

In all, 416 children of the 2,654 separated from their parents under the "zero tolerance" policy remain in government custody, figures contained in the most recent status report filed by lawyers for the Department of Justice and the ACLU show.

"Zero-tolerance" is a perfect description for conservative whites.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

What does any of the nonsense you wrote have to do with free college or how we pay for free college?

You tried to use Yom Kippur against Ike to score some kind of point.

You owe him an apology.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

What does any of the nonsense you wrote have to do with free college or how we pay for free college?

You're the one who first brought religion into this thread when you told Ike "As for your calling me a racist if I am not mistaken the Jewish Day of atonement is very close. If it hasn't already passed you can atone here in public or simply send me a pm to avoid embarrassment."

So how does your comment above have to do with free college or how we pay for free college?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

You're the one who first brought religion into this thread when you told Ike "As for your calling me a racist if I am not mistaken the Jewish Day of atonement is very close. If it hasn't already passed you can atone here in public or simply send me a pm to avoid embarrassment."

So how does your comment above have to do with free college or how we pay for free college?

Glen is too ignorant to know it, but in a way he's also setting himself up as God with that dirty little comment.

Say something about white Christianity's misuses of their own God, though, and watch how quick the holy, indignant gloves of self-righteous outrage come off. :problem:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glen, glen glen...by DEFINITION you are a racist

Now, to be fair, and CJ and professor have heard me say this for years so it wont shock them...

All white people in the USA are by default racist to one degree or another even if it is just to the extent that by virtue of being white and living here we/they enjoy white privilege (which makes someone like me a passive racist, i.e. I never ever act out or think racist, or hope I dont, but my simple existence in a system that favors me qualifies me to some level of it)...this includes me, all white people, and my white liberal friends dont need to get upset, this is logical...

OK, hang in there with me, almost done :rw)

YOU glen fall into one of 3 white people racist categories...

1. living in a system that is accepting of white privilege, myself and liberal whites (some of us fight against it so maybe we are not passive in that way but until the system stops favoring us, we are party responsible) and as true liberals we accept our part in this and pledge to CHANGE the system

2. moderates of both or any political bent, who may not be overtly racist but are very aware of color and harbor feelings of superiority even though they would never admit it

3. the obvious, over the top, egregiously vicious killer racists, like rump

I am category ONE as are most liberals here, glen is (this is generous of me maybe) category 2, not sure about the other cons here.

OK, I am tired now :rw)

years ago I said this on RRMB and greg aka sickupandfed responded "there is a cure for that these days" , Greg is no longer with us, he was AA and awesome and he like CJ helped me learn stuff and he was funny...he always got a kick out of it when I would call myself and other white folks on the board racist :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK... let's get to the sociological theory here. Another topic the kernel and I tussled over.

Quite simply, what most sociologists would argue is that yes, racial (or ethic or other) minorities can be prejudiced or bigoted against racial (etc.) majorities. "They are all white devils". Etc.

No one argues bigotry is exclusive to a) whites b) Europeans or c) even racial majorities. Every culture is a bit ethnocentric. When Marco Polo showed up in China, homey didn't know how to use chopsticks or read Mandarin, so quite simply despite all his Italian finery, he was a BARBARIAN.

But, racism in terms of behavior requires the social/political power to act upon your prejudices. In theory, minorities could commit hate crimes out of bigotry. What they cannot do is set up most forms of segregation and institutional discrimination because they don't control the social institutions. I also guess it IS possible a Black person could refuse to hire a white guy for a job because he doesn't like whites, but that "reverse" situation is of course going to be rarer than the other way around. And yes, a female boss could sexually harass a male employee, and that's not only happened in Hollywood movies, there have been real life legal cases. It's just that situation is probably far more rare than the other way around.

If by racism, we mean discriminatory actions, you have to have the power to discriminate. So, could Black people do this to white people? Idi Amin did discriminate against whites in Uganda, but that's because he had the power in that country.

Affirmative action, by which I do NOT mean racial quotas (and the original way it was used by Kennedy didn't mean that), is NOT "reverse discrimination".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ok you tell me how much money it would cost. The 500 was a guess.

:problem:

Quote:
The 300 is based on the numder of students times average in state tuition. So it is also an estimate. One that is low because it doesnt factor in community college or how we handle out of state costs or future increases

Your president wants to take your tax money to make these conditions indefinite

Progress is slow as hundreds of immigrant children remain separated - CNN

Quote:
There are more than 600 children who are either still in government custody or were released to someone other than the parents they arrived with (a family member or friend, usually). That includes more than 20 under the age of 5.

Prolife
Profamily
Traditional family values
Abortion is immoral
All lives matter

Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

What they cannot do is set up most forms of segregation and institutional discrimination because they don't control the social institutions. I also guess it IS possible a Black person could refuse to hire a white guy for a job because he doesn't like whites, but that "reverse" situation is of course going to be rarer than the other way around. And yes, a female boss could sexually harass a male employee, and that's not only happened in Hollywood movies, there have been real life legal cases. It's just that situation is probably far more rare than the other way around.

There has NEVER been an all-Black or all-Minority SCOTUS. Never.

There has NEVER been all-Black school boards shutting whites out of all-Black schools. Never.

There have NEVER been all-Black eugenics boards imposing forced sterilization on poor whites -- that was white eugenics boards doing that

There have NEVER been all-Black governors, mayors, sherrifs, judges, juries, backed by all-Black violent vigilantes that make laws and social policies against whites. Never.

There have NEVER been all-white unions imposed by Blacks, all-white country clubs imposed by Blacks, all-white frats imposed by Blacks, white/colored signs imposed by Blacks, all-white neighborhoods imposed by Blacks, all-white beaches and pools as imposed by Blacks, or immigration from Africa-only imposed by Blacks. Never/not-ever.

Whites have imposed all these things through law, public policy, and vigilante violence.

Conservative whites are the most violent, vicious people in this country, and they always have been.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

How come conservatives are so hostile towards educators and people with educations??

https://twitter.com/EdWeekTeacher/statu ... 0925914112

EdWeek Teacher
‏ @EdWeekTeacher

Quote:
This week’s @TIME cover is the third time a major news outlet has highlighted underpaid teachers this month (following @guardian and @NYTmag). This is a watershed moment for teachers in America. How did we get here? [1/10]

The public was not always this sympathetic to teachers. In fact, 10 years ago, a @TIME cover featured the former head of D.C. schools, Michelle Rhee, proclaiming a “battle against bad teachers.” And a 2014 cover titled “Rotten Apples” showed a gavel hitting an apple. [2/10]

For years, policymakers and the public were obsessed with evaluating teachers—in part based on student test scores—and weeding out the bad ones. [3/10]

But the pendulum swung last spring, when striking teachers in West Va. won a pay raise. That led to teachers in Oklahoma, Kentucky, Arizona, Colorado & N.C. walking out of their classrooms. Suddenly, everyone was talking about paying teachers more. [4/10]

More in link

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:37 am 
Board Emeritus

First girl I ever kissed is a Rice alum. So, go Owls.

Rice University announces free tuition for middle income undergraduate students - Chron

Quote:
Rice University officials announced Tuesday they will provide full tuition scholarships to undergraduate domestic students from low- and middle-income backgrounds starting in the fall of 2019, the latest effort by a major university to respond to rising concerns about soaring higher-education costs and burdensome student debt.

The new financial plan, The Rice Investment, will allow full-tuition scholarships and grants to be offered to undergraduate students whose family incomes fall between $65,000 and $130,000 a year and who qualify for need-based financial aid, according to a news release issued Tuesday by the university.

Students who come from families with an income of $130,000 to $200,000 can also receive scholarships that cover at least half of their tuition. A student whose family makes below $65,000 will be able to receive grant aid that covers their full tuition and mandatory fees, room and board. The financial aid is open to both incoming and continuing students at Rice, the private research university that sits on 300 acres in Houston.

“It’s really important to us that all families feel that if their child is admitted to Rice that they can make this work, that they can afford it,” said David Leebron, the university president, in a phone interview Monday. “It’s very clear that over the past decades, that the difference between what a middle-income family feels they can reasonably afford and what a college education costs has grown larger.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 am 
Board Emeritus

Taxes. How other countries do things.

This has been the answer provided to glen hundreds of times...granted mostly when the subject is universal Medicare, but the answer is no different for cutting the cost of a higher education. What is also no different is that glen, as far as I can remember, has never responded to the suggestion that this should all be paid for out of income tax revenue...including corporate income tax revenue.

Maybe the mistake we are making is we keep insisting it oughta be free (although it oughta be free of after taxes out of pocket money). Perhaps a guideline for how free healthcare oughta be can also come from the EU where there are reasonable fees/premiums that are paid by the citizens therein for their healthcare.

Just put the fucking politicians and their banker pals out of the education business. No more bullshit school loan industry with the executives making millions and the politicians filling their war chests. And put the politicians and their health insurance industry executive pals out of the health care insurance business.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am 
Board Emeritus

You tried to use Yom Kippur against Ike to score some kind of point.

You owe him an apology.

As I remember it...the little schmeckle used it against you. But using it against anybody is using it against everybody...even decent non-anti-semitic non-Jews (all three of them). So he owes everybody an apology. Every fucking racist/bigot in this fucked up country owes the rest of us an apology for their sick fucking attitudes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's why free college doesn't exist. There will always be fees and expenses. Sometimes scholarships cover these. Sometimes they don't.

The whole kerfuffle is over tuition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Free College isn't "free" unless it covers room and board.

That's pretty much what the state system combined with the Federal system does here. I know a student who was able to save housing expense money all four of his years, and because his grants exceeded his expenses he put some money in the bank.

I'm sure that money will keep that first dollar he ever earned company in his savings account. He's a good example of what's possible. California is doing it good.

My daughter didn't have that savings on her living expenses, but it was fine. Her grants didn't quite meet her expenses but the difference was slight.

If the Federal part drops off, that would increase the burden by about $3,000 a term. About doubling what that short fall is. In most cases still doable. There are programs to help cover that short fall.

One needs a computer and Internet to deal with the paperwork. They quit using paper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9