RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

$92 million for a parade.

$70 billion for a wall.

$2 billion for one plane.

$1 billion to lock away children from their parents because they're immigrants.

3 of which were dumbass things that we should not have spent money on. In fact we did not have the $92 mil parade or build the $70 mil wall. As for the plane I am not sure about your figures as you provided no link. But, it is those planes that keep us safe and are for the most part built here in the USA. However GoU tells me many components are being built overseas. Something IMO that should be against the law.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

But, it is those planes that keep us safe and are for the most part built here in the USA. However GoU tells me many components are being built overseas. Something IMO that should be against the law.

Why? Shouldn't the corporations building them do it where it's the cheapest? If they can get China to do it for half the price, why not?

That's your logic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

You don't get it that all 20 million won't get free college.

Meanwhile, check out NYU med school. It just went tuition free. I don't know how they did it either, but they did. That's something like $50k per student per year. Far as I can tell, the commies have still not taken over the United States.

Just read that on NPR. It seems the program needs $600 million to fund indefinitely with $450 million having already been raised. With $100 million of that coming from the founder of Home Depot. So it is a great program tat is costing taxpayers nothing. Which means it is not an entitlement and the school can keep it's current enrollment standards. Students will still have about $30,000 a year in living and other expenses.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why? Shouldn't the corporations building them do it where it's the cheapest? If they can get China to do it for half the price, why not?

That's your logic.

Because it involves national defense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Just read that on NPR. It seems the program needs $600 million to fund indefinitely with $450 million having already been raised. With $100 million of that coming from the founder of Home Depot. So it is a great program tat is costing taxpayers nothing. Which means it is not an entitlement and the school can keep it's current enrollment standards. Students will still have about $30,000 a year in living and other expenses.

glen is Mr. "We can't". America used to be "We CAN do ANYTHING" nation, back when Dems ruled. All we can do now is to have states compete to use tax money to bribe corporations to please locate here.

China can provide free secondary public education, sending many of their students here. But "we can't".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess that is why I am self employed.

Guess again. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep. And planning to maybe go without health insurance next year. You're a fucking economic genius.

glen will never admit that when this happens to him it will be due to his beloved Congressional Republicans and have nothing to do with Donald Trump.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

Army veteran and St. Louis police officer needs back surgery; denied by health insurance

Quote:
.......Timothy Nolan has had back problems throughout his life. He has a degenerative condition. And he was used to a lot of physical work as an infantry team leader in Iraq, and most recently as a St. Louis police officer.

“You're wearing a lot of extra weight, and I made it a point of do the job,” said Nolan. “I would run chase try to get violent people off the street as best as I could."

Last September, Nolan was pursuing a suspect during a chase, and the pain in his back caught up to him.

"Started trying to build my core strength, started exercising, pushups, pull-ups, and it kept getting worse and worse,” he explained.

Nolan’s surgeon recommended a complicated back surgery. It’s called a 360 fusion. This week, Nolan got a letter from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield denying the procedure.

“I didn’t know that an insurance company could say no to a procedure that the surgeon is recommending, because they are an insurance company," Nolan said.

Nolan’s surgeon even had a peer-review with the insurance company, where he sat down with one of its health professionals. Still, Anthem denied the procedure.

5 On Your Side reached out to Anthem. The health insurer explained that it cannot comment on a specific case without a signed HIPAA waiver.........

just cant afford anything except ever rising executive salary and bonuses. that has importance over all things. only this is priority.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

3 of which were dumbass things that we should not have spent money on.

Are you for real? All four are dumb fucking things. We dont need any $2 billion B-2 Bombers.

But never mind that. Whatever money ends up spent on these four things will be spent because of the people you support with your votes.

Troll? Nope...fucking lying ass hypocrite troll.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen is Mr. "We can't". America used to be "We CAN do ANYTHING" nation, back when Dems ruled. All we can do now is to have states compete to use tax money to bribe corporations to please locate here.

China can provide free secondary public education, sending many of their students here. But "we can't".

Once again ignoring the numbers or the logic behind those numbers. While sticking with I want it and the facts do not matter. BTW, the way so called free education is provided in China or Germany or in just about any other country you can name would not be legal here. BTW it is also "free" in Cuba I guess that is why they have prospered so much in the last 60 years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

Army veteran and St. Louis police officer needs back surgery; denied by health insurance

just cant afford anything except ever rising executive salary and bonuses. that has importance over all things. only this is priority.

That is a great example of why we need and should have single payer national healthcare. But, this thread is about "free" college.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

But, this thread is about "free" college.

The education system that you fucking people want is a disgrace.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Once again ignoring the numbers or the logic behind those numbers. While sticking with I want it and the facts do not matter. BTW, the way so called free education is provided in China or Germany or in just about any other country you can name would not be legal here. BTW it is also "free" in Cuba I guess that is why they have prospered so much in the last 60 years.

the Chinese send their best and brightest here to learn our technology, replacing Americans in school and in business.

Cuba hasn't prospered because they have very little in the way of natural resources, and the American government wouldn't even sell them car parts. They were a pawn between the American and Soviet governments. We were using them before the revolution, too. Corrupt gangsters ran the country.

But hey, glen obviously hates education, doesn't think we should have it. At least no for anyone but his daughters. It's FINE for glen to use the government to educate his kids, because HE sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

the Chinese send their best and brightest here to learn our technology, replacing Americans in school and in business.

Cuba hasn't prospered because they have very little in the way of natural resources, and the American government wouldn't even sell them car parts. They were a pawn between the American and Soviet governments. We were using them before the revolution, too. Corrupt gangsters ran the country.

But hey, glen obviously hates education, doesn't think we should have it. At least no for anyone but his daughters. It's FINE for glen to use the government to educate his kids, because HE sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it!

I just looked it up and you holding up China as a shining example is laughable. Tuition is free at state owned and run schools and of course they choose which students are qualified. Unless I read it wrong their basic education is 1-9.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

That is a great example of why we need and should have single payer national healthcare. But, this thread is about "free" college.

its about spending priorities

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just looked it up and you holding up China as a shining example is laughable. Tuition is free at state owned and run schools and of course they choose which students are qualified. Unless I read it wrong their basic education is 1-9.

You do. While they don't have universal college education, they decide who to educate and those they choose are funded by the state, including if they send them to America. THEY decide who to educate, not the students. Just like they pay to train the Olympics athletes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

You do. While they don't have universal college education, they decide who to educate and those they choose are funded by the state, including if they send them to America. THEY decide who to educate, not the students. Just like they pay to train the Olympics athletes.

So saying we could have "free" college in the USA because they do in China is a complete farce. "Free" college on paper sounds great, it just won't work on any level here in the USA. If we had ir how:

A] Would you deny one child because another was better qualified on paper. Once it becomes a right there is no denying any child.

B] How do you deny a person based on their age? If a 60 or 70 year old retired machinist decides they want to go to college in the USA you cannot say you can't go because you are to old.

C] How do you keep students from taking obscure courses for which there is no market.

D] How do you pay for what would surely be 300 billion a year.

E] This is only the surface this onion would have endless layers.

I believe it was last Sunday in the Atlanta paper there was an OP/ED about "free" college and how students at UGA and Auburn were overwhelmingly in favor of it, using Germany as an example.

The writer went on to say there is no Roll Tide or GO Dawgs at German Colleges. The classes are often over 100 and it is a sink or swim situation. They have no 100 million dollar football teams or 500 million dollar athletic facilities. The writer described they are basically a place where students go to learn their future profession without many frills. I doubt that would fly very long here in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm 
Policy Wonk

So saying we could have "free" college in the USA because they do in China is a complete farce. "Free" college on paper sounds great, it just won't work on any level here in the USA. If we had ir how:

A] Would you deny one child because another was better qualified on paper. Once it becomes a right there is no denying any child.

B] How do you deny a person based on their age? If a 60 or 70 year old retired machinist decides they want to go to college in the USA you cannot say you can't go because you are to old.

C] How do you keep students from taking obscure courses for which there is no market.

I believe it was last Sunday in the Atlanta paper there was an OP/ED about "free" college and how students at UGA and Auburn were overwhelmingly in favor of it, using Germany as an example.

The writer went on to say there is no Roll Tide or GO Dawgs at German Colleges. The classes are often over 100 and it is a sink or swim situation. They have no 100 million dollar football teams or 500 million dollar athletic facilities. The writer described they are basically a place where students go to learn their future profession without many frills. I doubt that would fly very long here in the USA.

instead of forgiveness we have austerity, it loads a person up with debt forever, use to be there was forgiveness and even graduation to freedom thats what people want to return to and thats what America must return to if America is to be America.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

It would still depend on grades and tests. You have to pass the classes. Simple. If you can't hack it, you're done. That's also why we need to provide vocational training for those who aren't college material.
Quote:

Your lack of knowledge gets you again. I've been looking into it, my wife and I are thinking of retiring to a college town and going to school part-time, because I love to learn. Couple that with the social component, like sports, lectures, theater and music, I think it would be a great retirement. Most major colleges allow retirees to audit classes for free.

So, already done.
Quote:

How do you know what learning is good and what learning is bad? But the colleges decide upon curriculum, not the students.
Quote:

It's an investment, which would pay off as these students graduate, get good jobs and start becoming taxpayers at a much higher tax bracket.
Quote:

Most community colleges are no-frills. Not that big a deal.

But if the students didn't have to take on tens of thousands of dollars in debt, they'd be pretty damned cool with it.

And Germany also has all kinds of vocational training. That's why their workers are far more prosperous than they are in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

instead of forgiveness we have austerity, it loads a person up with debt forever, use to be there was forgiveness and even graduation to freedom thats what people want to return to and thats what America must return to if America is to be America.

I personally believe this is one of those situations that neither side has any intention of solving because it is such a good campaign/ fund raising issue.

The solution is so very simple. Just guarantee student loans to all students at prime rate plus 1% to cover administration costs and maybe some left over for profit. Then have the students payback those loans through payroll deductions administrated by the SSI administration beginning at age 25 or 3 years after graduation over a 30 to 40 year period.

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am guessing you would have to remain in state. Even with those restrictions 6 billion would not go very far. At 10000 per student it would take care of 600,000.

No, states could still have quotes on in-state and out-of-state students the way they currently do.

Quote:
Then of course all the lawsuits would have to be dealt with. Once higher education becomes a right you can not discriminate. Every student would have to be eligible.

I doubt it. Eligibility into state colleges would still be based upon academic standards just as it is today. For those who can't meet the academic standards of even junior college they can always become a truck driver. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

It would still depend on grades and tests. You have to pass the classes. Simple. If you can't hack it, you're done. That's also why we need to provide vocational training for those who aren't college material.

Your lack of knowledge gets you again. I've been looking into it, my wife and I are thinking of retiring to a college town and going to school part-time, because I love to learn. Couple that with the social component, like sports, lectures, theater and music, I think it would be a great retirement. Most major colleges allow retirees to audit classes for free.

So, already done.

How do you know what learning is good and what learning is bad? But the colleges decide upon curriculum, not the students.

It's an investment, which would pay off as these students graduate, get good jobs and start becoming taxpayers at a much higher tax bracket.

Most community colleges are no-frills. Not that big a deal.

But if the students didn't have to take on tens of thousands of dollars in debt, they'd be pretty damned cool with it.

And Germany also has all kinds of vocational training. That's why their workers are far more prosperous than they are in the US.

I agree about community college as for Germany I could be wrong but I have heard there isn't much choice. Around 9th grade you are placed where your aptitude dictates.

We do need better vocational training and people need to quit looking down their noses at people in those professions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Why wouldn't it be free here?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I personally believe this is one of those situations that neither side has any intention of solving because it is such a good campaign/ fund raising issue.

The solution is so very simple. Just guarantee student loans to all students at prime rate plus 1% to cover administration costs and maybe some left over for profit. Then have the students payback those loans through payroll deductions administrated by the SSI administration beginning at age 25 or 3 years after graduation over a 30 to 40 year period.

Problem solved.

No, because people like Betsy DeVos would have these for-profit colleges that are just there to rob students.

Education of the populace is a smart investment. People like you argued against the GI Bill too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

No, states could still have quotes on in-state and out-of-state students the way they currently do.

I doubt it. Eligibility into state colleges would still be based upon academic standards just as it is today. For those who can't meet the academic standards of even junior college they can always become a truck driver. :lol:

How could your last point be true and legal. How can you take taxes from me and then tell me my kids can't go to Frostbite U because they aren't smart enough? But, my taxes are going to pay for Marindem Jr who is a genius just like his daddy.

I do not believe that would fly in our courts. Once college becomes paid for through taxes it becomes a right. At the very least they would have to offer remedial courses that all students could pass. [ oh those days of English-D. Found out later the D stood for developmental we all called it "dummy English".]

Getting back to my point I do not believe you can legally grant a right to one citizen and deny it to another.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next