Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 am 
Board Emeritus

:problem:

Sen. Tim Scott says Trump taking "positive steps" in right direction on race - CBS

:lol: sure, he is.

Quote:
It was a message that prompted Scott to call out the president on CBS' "Face the Nation" last year, saying Mr. Trump's moral authority had been "compromised."

This year, Scott told "Face the Nation" moderator Margaret Brennan, "I am not first a Republican, I'm first an American, and my goal is to make sure that each and every American has a chance to experience their full potential. And that means sometimes you have to walk alone. Sometimes you have to say things that may not be popular and that's necessary in the times in which we live."

In the aftermath of the violence, Scott said the president called on the senator to see what he could do to make a difference in the country.

"I laid out something that I thought would be very powerful, and that was the opportunity zones, bringing more resources back into distressed communities," Scott said. "We celebrate the success of this economy without any question. But the reality of it is that there are pockets in this nation where the recovery has been uneven and the opportunity zone legislation, supported by the president, will have a positive impact, a powerful impact in communities that are distressed and disproportionately communities that are black and brown."

Scott also highlighted the president's recent sit-downs with members of the African-American community, including pastors, business leaders and proponents of prison reform, as a stepping-off point for better relations.

The senator noted, however, that the current rhetoric plaguing his party and the presidency today "is not always helpful."

Yes. Some of us do not exactly love it.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 am 
Board Emeritus

Sen. Tim Scott says Trump taking "positive steps" in right direction on race - CBS

Sometimes you have to say things that may not be popular? If Trump said stuff that wasn’t popular with his base they would lynch him. All he gives a shit about is being popular with his base.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 am 
Board Emeritus

I respectfully submit my "I never judge someone who's shoes I cant possibly walk in for even one step"

But please, do judge away,. my friends.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Sometimes you have to say things that may not be popular? If Trump said stuff that wasn’t popular with his base they would lynch him. All he gives a shit about is being popular with his base.

I didn't get far enough with Tim Scott's statement to be able to consider a factor such as popularity, the relevant part Trump not being popular.

The part abut "Trump's moral authority had been "compromised."" came before that popularity part, I got stuck there. It makes reference to some moral authority Trump has which I think may be a figment of Scott's imagination.

The things Scott said reminds me of peanut butter.

:| I'm out of peanut butter.