RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 am 
Board Emeritus

But problem number one is always, and always will be white christian conservative assholes. In this particular case, white christian conservative asshole Texans.

Transgender students ask DeVos for help...here's what happened.

Quote:
Conservative parents told the debate coach they didn’t want Howe sharing a room with their sons on trips to competitions. The frustrated coach argued that Howe should be treated the same as the other kids, but school administrators sided with the parents and wouldn’t budge. He roomed alone, singled out again.

After his graduation in 2017 Howe filed a complaint with federal civil rights officials at the Department of Education, hoping to ease the way for other transgender students at his school to use the bathrooms of their choice. But an examination of federal records by POLITICO shows that his complaint is one of at least five involving transgender students denied bathroom access that was thrown out by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who has halted such investigations.

But no, according to the usual suspects around here, we need Mueller's report to know that Trump is unfit for the office. And we need to wait until the 2020 election to be rid of his deranged ass because an impeachment might hurt the Republican party. Meantime, more and more innocent people just trying to make it through the day are victimized by this administration and the Republican party that supports it, over and over. Fuck you two, and anybody like you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 am 
Board Emeritus

New book proves rump is a russian asset, but 35 million of your neighbors DONT CARE

Rump hates Black Lesbian Women, GOP hates Black Lesbian Women, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

New book proves rump is a russian asset, but 35 million of your neighbors DONT CARE.

More than that. Twice that, maybe thrice, I'd say.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

From the article:

Quote:
The Education Department's dismissals are just a slice of what advocates see as a broader assault on LGBT rights across the federal government in the Trump administration, including in education, health care, the military and housing. The administration, for example, has sought to protect health care workers who don’t want to treat transgender or LGBT patients seeking to transition and ban transgender individuals from serving in the military.

The policy reversals come after President Donald Trump said in 2016 that transgender people should “use the bathroom they feel is appropriate,” including at his own Trump Tower in New York City.

The Education Department declined to answer questions about its handling of transgender cases, but after this story was initially published released a statement saying it is “committed to defending the civil rights of all students and ensuring all students have an equal opportunity to learn in an environment free from harassment and discrimination.” It said it would continue to use “current law and current regulation to determine if any child in school is being harassed or discriminated against due to race, sex or disability.”

POLITICO in an attempt to track administration action on bathroom access for transgender students reviewed 107 complaints filed with the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights since January 2014. All were in connection with transgender students who alleged different treatment, exclusion or a denial of benefits under Title IX — federal law that prohibits sex-based discrimination in federally funded education programs. Among the complaints were at least six involving students who were denied access to bathrooms of their choice and five that were dismissed.

POLITICO also reviewed the dismissal letters for the five bathroom access cases thrown out by the Trump administration. The documents and data were obtained through multiple Freedom of Information Act requests.

Howe’s complaint hit the Education Department at a time of turbulence in the federal government and the courts when it comes to the treatment of transgender students, estimated at 150,000 American teenagers age 13 to 17, according to a widely cited 2017 study.

The LGBT student advocacy group GLSEN says that most transgender students are required to use bathrooms that don’t match their gender identity and as a result, suffer serious physical and emotional health consequences. For example, GLSEN notes that transgender students often avoid using bathrooms because they feel unsafe or uncomfortable. They might not eat or drink regularly, or could develop a medical issue from not using the bathroom, like a urinary tract infection.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Betsy DeVos Denies Trans Students Basic Rights - ACLU

Quote:
On March 27, Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos appeared before the House Appropriations Committee to answer questions about the administration’s first year in office. While I had no shortage of questions for her, one of my top priorities was asking her about her department’s failure to protect the rights of transgender students.

During the Obama administration, the Department of Education issued guidance to public schools explaining that schools should allow students to use restrooms consistent with their gender identity in accordance with basic civil rights law under Title IX.

I heard from plenty of teachers and administrators throughout Wisconsin who were either already acting in accordance with the new rule, or gladly welcomed guidance on this important issue.

However, Secretary DeVos rescinded the Obama-era guidance in 2017, robbing transgender students of rights which should be afforded to every public school student.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 am 
Board Emeritus

These public policies, paid for with the tax dollars of trans student's parents, help to create environments for this kind of behavior.

Conservative parents threaten to dismember trans child viewtopic.php?p=420206#p420206

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am 
Board Emeritus

Yep. White christian conservatives are problem number one. Although to be honest, I'm not thrilled with the attitudes of christians of any color when it comes to LGBTQ rights and women's reproductive rights.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 am 
Board Emeritus

Yep. White christian conservatives are problem number one. Although to be honest, I'm not thrilled with the attitudes of christians of any color when it comes to LGBTQ rights and women's reproductive rights.

Yeah me neither. But to me, that's a problem of conservatism and also something that is evolving. Mainline (and overwhelimingly white) liberal denominations, at least in their policy position, are a lot better than they were even 10 years ago (though anything's an improvement :problem:). Traditionally Black denominations are among the most reactionary in the country but axiomatically with the more conservative denominations being the most vicious, because imo those people have the most to prove. Self-righteous a-holery will do that. :problem: :problem:

The AMEs will actually have a conversation about it, though they're also basically a big wall of "no." Latino Evangelicals and Catholics on those issues...all I can say to that is a general "mmph."

What's interesting is that in the mainline liberals, among the people who are the most outspoken on liberal policies, including LGBTQ and reproductive rights, some just so happen to also be the Black people in those denoms. Traci Blackmon, Otis Moss, and William Barber III are good examples. And AfAms are the one voting bloc that will actually vote for and put pro-LGBTQ/repro rights candidates in office in large numbers. That bloc is basically Protestant/small-e evangelical. So it's complex.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah me neither. But to me, that's a problem of conservatism and also something that is evolving. Mainline (and overwhelimingly white) liberal denominations, at least in their policy position, are a lot better than they were even 10 years ago (though anything's an improvement :problem:). Traditionally Black denominations are among the most reactionary in the country but axiomatically with the more conservative denominations being the most vicious, because imo those people have the most to prove. Self-righteous a-holery will do that. :problem: :problem:

The AMEs will actually have a conversation about it, though they're also basically a big wall of "no." Latino Evangelicals and Catholics on those issues...all I can say to that is a general "mmph."

What's interesting is that in the mainline liberals, among the people who are the most outspoken on liberal policies, including LGBTQ and reproductive rights, some just so happen to also be the Black people in those denoms. Traci Blackmon, Otis Moss, and William Barber III are good examples. And AfAms are the one voting bloc that will actually vote for and put pro-LGBTQ/repro rights candidates in office in large numbers. That bloc is basically Protestant/small-e evangelical. So it's complex.

Nice read on my comment. Thanks.

See...I'm not such a jerk-off as one or two around this joint might think, eh?