Ukraine

News and events of the day
bradman

Re: Ukraine

Post by bradman »

I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:43 pm They have NCOs but from what I've read they're brutal and corrupt. One of the things I've noticed about countries with authoritarian leadership is a lack of trust in their military and the reason is the leaders don't trust their military not to depose them. In the mid-90s, we had a contingent of Chinese military officers visit RAF Lakenheath. We were briefed after their visit as to their impressions of our Air Force. The Chinese officers were surprised we had NCOs and junior airmen working on aircraft without the supervision of an officer. In their military, only officers are allowed to repair and maintain their aircraft.

The U.S. military, on the other hand, provides training to their NCOs to improve their career field knowledge and leadership skills to get the best out of their troops. This is one of the reasons an officer can go on longer leaves, deployments, or temporary duty assignments knowing an experienced Senior NCO is covering for them.

As I said earlier, I think Putin will use the winter to declare victory and to reinforce his gains in the captured regions of the Ukraine. Also, the Ukrainian Army will continue to attack the Russians in those captured regions.
Brutal or corrupt, they don't really make a move unless the order comes from the top.

[bold] And your thoughts on Crimea?

i mean long range. Capturing the Donbas region is one thing, Crimea another.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:53 pm Brutal or corrupt, they don't really make a move unless the order comes from the top.
Authoritarian countries have centralized military leadership in which units have to wait for orders from above before they take offensive actions. The U.S. military has more of a decentralized command structure in which strategy if formulated at the top and it's up to the units lower in the structure to carry out the tactical operations. Decentralized command allows units freedom to operate within the rules of engagement.
[bold] And your thoughts on Crimea?

i mean long range. Capturing the Donbas region is one thing, Crimea another.
I think Russia will hold on to the Crimea for many years. The only way Ukraine gets it back is if Russia collapses and before the country can regroup Ukraine retakes the Crimea.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:47 pm The Russians seem to have logistical issues. Anybody can parade troops and weapons on May Day, but getting a real fighting force anywhere it's needed in a ground war is not a simple matter. Remember the 30-mile convoy? It got bogged down in the mud. Mud is fundamental to war. An army that cannot handle mud cannot win.

Plus I wonder if anyone actually believed that Ukraine wanted to be Russian again, and would welcome Russian troops with cheers and celebrations. If so, they were dangerously out of touch. Never believe your own propaganda.
They’ve had logistical issues since forever. Five year plans failed mostly because they couldn’t coordinate harvest, storage, processing, proper packaging, transportation, and all the necessary timing issues.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:31 pm They’ve had logistical issues since forever. Five year plans failed mostly because they couldn’t coordinate harvest, storage, processing, proper packaging, transportation, and all the necessary timing issues.
It’s always good to hear the skinny from an expert, a retired, what, 3rd Star General, right, greengrass?
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:31 pm They’ve had logistical issues since forever. Five year plans failed mostly because they couldn’t coordinate harvest, storage, processing, proper packaging, transportation, and all the necessary timing issues.
It's the reason they didn't take Kiev this time round.

They are still relying on a WWII mentality of rail systems to get 'er done..
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:52 pm It's the reason they didn't take Kiev this time round.

They are still relying on a WWII mentality of rail systems to get 'er done..
Yep.

Russia has a poorly trained military. They’re also a mob state with players who have been severely ripping off defense funding. It’s all been smoke and mirrors.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:40 pm Yep.

Russia has a poorly trained military. They’re also a mob state with players who have been severely ripping off defense funding. It’s all been smoke and mirrors.
But for one thing.

Russia has that little red button.

Not really what ya can call a paper tiger.
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 pm But for one thing.

Russia has that little red button.

Not really what ya can call a paper tiger.

And so do we. And our stuff is maintained.

No, they’re a paper tiger.

No one should cave to Russia’s threats. You don’t get to invade a sovereign nation, commit mass genocide, torture, rape women and children, destroy cities, but get your ass totally handed to you and then make demands. No way. Fuck Putin and fuck anyone who supports him, like the Republican Party.

bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:54 pm And so do we. And our stuff is maintained.

No, they’re a paper tiger.

No one should cave to Russia’s threats. You don’t get to invade a sovereign nation, commit mass genocide, torture, rape women and children, destroy cities, but get your ass totally handed to you and then make demands. No way. Fuck Putin and fuck anyone who supports him, like the Republican Party.
As long as the difference between those that support Putin and those that are somewhat rational about what can be done is taken into consideration.

i tend to think Neville made the right move. Churchill benefited form it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 pm As long as the difference between those that support Putin and those that are somewhat rational about what can be done is taken into consideration.

I do hope you’re joking. Did the people that Hitler invaded and slaughtered benefit from it?
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:02 pm As long as the difference between those that support Putin and those that are somewhat rational about what can be done is taken into consideration.

Chamberlain knew Britain couldn’t stop Hitler during the Munich crisis. Britain stood alone and the military was woefully unprepared for war at that precise moment in history.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:34 pm Chamberlain knew Britain couldn’t stop Hitler during the Munich crisis. Britain stood alone and the military was woefully unprepared for war at that precise moment in history.
Woefully unprepared?

It's the point that's being totally missed. That and coming up for air to assure the next round goes in your favor.

Strange how Churchill survived his trek into the wilderness only to make such a comeback.

Dunkirk is Churchill. The big picture was Neville.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:34 pm Chamberlain knew Britain couldn’t stop Hitler during the Munich crisis. Britain stood alone and the military was woefully unprepared for war at that precise moment in history.
Spoken like a true capitulator to white-sovereignty fascism.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Russia hits Ukraine with Iranian-made “Kamakazi” drones.

Pretty much an admission they ran out of their own bombs.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Who do you think supports Putin. I know of folks who believe Ukraine is not our problem. I am not one of them. Others think that you have to stand up to Putin and others like him or them keep coming. I would think we would have learned that lesson in the last World War. In either case, I don’t see a lot of support for Putin over here.

I get your point. Nothing wrong with rational thinking. Sometimes however you are dealt a hand that doesn’t leave you many/any options.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Ukraine is our problem, since everything on this little planet now interacts with everything else, as we see daily with the supply chain and all the other stuff. Unfortunately, the existence of that big red button ("press here to cause a mass extinction event") changes things somewhat. We don't want another situation like in Cuba, which everyone since has admitted got us way too close to something very bad and very permanent.

My major problem with the situation is that I'm not sure Putin is playing with a full deck. He's always seemed a bit over the edge. I can't say if the problem is his brain or something down lower, but he seems to have his less than rational moments.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:53 am Ukraine is our problem, since everything on this little planet now interacts with everything else, as we see daily with the supply chain and all the other stuff. Unfortunately, the existence of that big red button ("press here to cause a mass extinction event") changes things somewhat. We don't want another situation like in Cuba, which everyone since has admitted got us way too close to something very bad and very permanent.

My major problem with the situation is that I'm not sure Putin is playing with a full deck. He's always seemed a bit over the edge. I can't say if the problem is his brain or something down lower, but he seems to have his less than rational moments.
I share your concern about Putin. I don’t see where we have any good options here. I think we are doing what we can do under the circumstances.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:04 pm I share your concern about Putin. I don’t see where we have any good options here. I think we are doing what we can do under the circumstances.
It’s good we have an adult at the helm. The last two Republican Presidents have been complete disasters on war and foreign policy. The last one is a Putin stooge.
Drak

Post by Drak »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:53 am Ukraine is our problem, since everything on this little planet now interacts with everything else, as we see daily with the supply chain and all the other stuff. Unfortunately, the existence of that big red button ("press here to cause a mass extinction event") changes things somewhat. We don't want another situation like in Cuba, which everyone since has admitted got us way too close to something very bad and very permanent.

Yep. It is our problem, because it doesn’t stop at Ukraine. Putin has made it known his goal is to re establish something like the Soviet Union. He would March on other sovereign nations and deep into Europe. These are Allies. Letting a fascist dictator do as he wishes creates a highly unstable world where other despots follow suit, because no one is stopping them. This is a battle for democracy.

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Talking isn't doing, but didn't he say that he'd love for the Iron Curtain to go clear to Berlin again?
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:06 pm It’s good we have an adult at the helm. The last two Republican Presidents have been complete disasters on war and foreign policy. The last one is a Putin stooge.
The guy that still praises Putin every chance he gets. Who tried to dismantle NATO and pulled troops out of the of Europe on his way out the door.

Ted Cruz was attacking the American military only a few months back while bragging about Russia’s superior mighty military, while sharing a Russian cosplay propaganda video.

Drak

Post by Drak »

“Who do you think supports Putin?” Are the deaf words of someone who has no clue WTF is going on.

bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:51 am Russia hits Ukraine with Iranian-made “Kamakazi” drones.

Pretty much an admission they ran out of their own bombs.

From the link below...
Iran says it has not sent any drones to Russia since Moscow's invasion of Ukraine. The Kremlin has not commented.
(ya right.)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-seeks-con ... 46703.html
EU slaps human rights sanctions on Iran, warns of more over Ukraine
(Reuters) -Several European Union foreign ministers on Monday called for sanctions against Iran over the transfer of Iranian drones to Russia, as the bloc agreed a separate set of asset freezes and travel bans over Tehran's crackdown on protests.
[bold] Most experts agree that Russia is running low on munitions. How low, nobody knows.

It's more a new tactic that's being used which may, or, may not, show desperation. Why send a million dollar missile when you can send a 20thousand dollar drone to do the same thing.

One side says those drones are targeting civilians, the other side says they're targeting critical infrastructure. The one thing that's not being talked about much is that the drone strikes have severely cut Ukraine's electric supplies.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:08 pm From the link below...
(ya right.)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-seeks-con ... 46703.html
EU slaps human rights sanctions on Iran, warns of more over Ukraine

[bold] Most experts agree that Russia is running low on munitions. How low, nobody knows.

It's more a new tactic that's being used which may, or, may not, show desperation. Why send a million dollar missile when you can send a 20thousand dollar drone to do the same thing.

One side says those drones are targeting civilians, the other side says they're targeting critical infrastructure. The one thing that's not being talked about much is that the drone strikes have severely cut Ukraine's electric supplies.
Interesting.

As if Iran doesn't have its own bigger fish to fry.

Talk about "killing their own people"...can't be a woman and walk around without a head covering, or else you'll get killed. This is how petty and violent conservative men are. Doesn't even matter where they appear on the globe. :problem:

viewtopic.php?t=1303

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells