It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Michael Avenatti
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

What

He has two criminal referrals pending. Here's something about it. It happened when the news was pretty busy about pipe bombs, the shooting, and the election.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/25/chuck-g ... ation.html

CNBC is about as good as it gets insofar as sourcing. This has had a ton of right wing coverage. There's real blended into the unreal. But those referrals appear to be real. And it appears she actually has recanted her sworn testimony in a NBC news interview.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have to laugh, now sam is calling Stormy a fraud.

amazing

I think that is great, I don't know anyone who needs a laugh more.

Her name is Julie Swetnick.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:58 pm 
Political Junkie

What

I think Sam is referring to Judy Munro-Leighton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think Sam is referring to Judy Munro-Leighton.

I saw news of that one too, but I wasn't referring to her, she has no tie in as far as I know with Avenatti.

It's Julie Swetnick who Avenatti is speaking for. She's not credible at all. On TV she backed away from her previous claims about the night that she might be prosecuted for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

Neither are Stormy Daniels, but yeah, both apparently are recanting their claims against Kavenaugh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, last I read Grassley made criminal referrals for Avenatti and Swetnick to the DOJ ... but I hadn't heard this had resulted in an actual, active criminal investigation of either - yet? AFAIK?

Sam, one other question. I don't know if I believe Swetnick, but ...

a) can you point me to where, in what interview, she admitted she was lying?
and
b) she could have a delusional or mistaken belief, .... do we have any evidence Avenatti was bringing her forward, KNOWING that she was knowingly lying?

The reason I ask is the second part of b) would be the only way it could be argued Avenatti was engaging in criminal behavior himself.

I've seen stories on the Grassley referral, and they mention a lack of corroboration for Swetnick's claims. OK ... but we also know that might not necessarily be proof she is LYING. (Mistaken memory?)

She could be making an erroneous claim ... that isn't necessarily a crime. (Could result in a defamation suit by Kavanaugh, but again I think intentionality and knowledge of allegations being false come into play there as well.)

I CAN find the recantation by Munro-Leighton ... she basically admits she lied about being the author of the "Jame Doe" letter accusing Kavanaugh. Of course, that means we still don't know who the actual author of that letter was, just that Munro-Leighton lied about being that person.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-recanted

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW, last I read Grassley made criminal referrals for Avenatti and Swetnick to the DOJ ... but I hadn't heard this had resulted in an actual, active criminal investigation of either - yet? AFAIK?

Sam, one other question. I don't know if I believe Swetnick, but ...

a) can you point me to where, in what interview, she admitted she was lying?
and
b) she could have a delusional or mistaken belief, .... do we have any evidence Avenatti was bringing her forward, KNOWING that she was knowingly lying?

The reason I ask is the second part of b) would be the only way it could be argued Avenatti was engaging in criminal behavior himself.

I've seen stories on the Grassley referral, and they mention a lack of corroboration for Swetnick's claims. OK ... but we also know that might not necessarily be proof she is LYING. (Mistaken memory?)

She could be making an erroneous claim ... that isn't necessarily a crime. (Could result in a defamation suit by Kavanaugh, but again I think intentionality and knowledge of allegations being false come into play there as well.)

I gave a link above. It refers to a TV interview and they quoted Swetnick. My impression of what she alleged in her sworn statement came from an array of mainstream news reports I read a month or so back. That quoted article contains lots of key words for search you could use if you want to go in depth on it.

On the main I ruled out Avenatti when I first saw that talk about him and 2020. Yuk!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

What I see is a slight story change by Swetnick (so she didn't actually SEE them "spiking" drinks) and Grassley noting the 4 people she mentioned could not corroborate her claims. No recantation, or at least not one I would consider one (as opposed to Munro-Leighton, who did recant.)

I agree with you he's not fit to be POTUS, Sam. However, even showboating lawyers should only be charged with a crime if they DID something criminal...

I'm still waiting for the actual facts to come out about the more recent story. LAPD says he was arrested. He says he was not charged with anything. It's possible both claims could be true. As I said, I await some actual facts to come out at some point about the situation ... we still don't know the name of the accuser, given that it cannot have been his ex-wife.

Obviously, I want more reliable sources than TMZ and Jacob Wohl to report on the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'd be quite content to hear not from or about him again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

He has two criminal referrals pending. Here's something about it. It happened when the news was pretty busy about pipe bombs, the shooting, and the election.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/25/chuck-g ... ation.html

CNBC is about as good as it gets insofar as sourcing. This has had a ton of right wing coverage. There's real blended into the unreal. But those referrals appear to be real. And it appears she actually has recanted her sworn testimony in a NBC news interview.

Thanks for the link. I saw the NBC interview, which was very heavily edited down. So I'm not exactly sure the entirety of what she said, but there wasn't a recantation.

Also, the FBI refused to investigate her claims, a lot like they refused to interview many of the supporting witnesses in the Ford case, or interview Kavanaugh himself.

You're right about the rightwing coverage: "Swetnik" trended for a few days on Hamilton 68 though, sadly, I don't have proof of that. One thing that did happen, though, was she appeared on one of those neonazi flyers with a Star of David on her forehead, along with a bunch of other people. :(

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I try in situations like this to see if any actual facts can be found. It's great, we're hearing reactions from ex-wives, from the View, from Stormy ... how about some journalism beyond just collecting reactions?

Here seems to be one ... I think.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/ ... ump-994110

Prosecutors will ultimately determine whether formal charges will be filed against Avenatti but they have not yet received his case for review, a Los Angeles District Attorney’s office spokesman said Thursday. Avenatti is due in court on Dec. 5, police said.

[snip][end]

OK. Maybe a copy editor needs to work on those sentences, because I'm not getting something. Why would he be due in court on December 5th, if no one has charged him with anything?

Will he be appearing in court or not?

If he's appearing in court, on my planet, that means he's been charged with something.

Who is the accuser? BTW, I can understand why they might not reveal her real name, but they can at least say "Avenatti's new girlfriend, Ms. X, aged Y" ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Is there something about the legal process in LA I'm not getting?

https://www.salon.com/2018/11/15/lapd-d ... -violence/

Update: We can confirm that Michael Avenatti (DOB: 02-16-71) was booked this afternoon on a felony domestic violence charge (273.5 PC). His bail is set at $50,000.

[snip][end]

If he was released on bail ... he was charged with a crime, and that crime appears to be felony domestic violence.

I'm not saying he's guilty ... that's what the trial is for. But it sure looks on this planet like he was charged and booked if they released him on bail.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sometimes it takes a while for news to filter out through the cracks if the District Attorney’s office is doing what they are supposed to do. Keeping a tight lip on it until they have a completed investigation is a sign of an ethical DA's office.

He's been arrested. That's how i read the spin. Well get the nooze.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 am 
Board Emeritus

I saw this at the bottom of a LA Times article. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html

Quote:
Asked about the eviction order in an email, Avenatti responded, “It does not matter as Eagan Avenatti, my former firm, was already in the process of moving. A non-event.”

On Oct. 31, Avenatti asked the court to stop the eviction, saying Avenatti & Associates, another entity that he owns, had an “oral rental agreement with the landlord” that must be honored.

The landlord denied there was any such agreement.

Avenatti says the two businesses are distinct firms, but they function as the same law practice with the same lawyers and support staff in the same Newport Beach office suite.

After Eagan Avenatti sought federal bankruptcy protection from its creditors last year, Avenatti identified himself in court proceedings as the sole owner of Avenatti & Associates, which in turn owned 75% of Eagan Avenatti.

He later told a judge that Avenatti & Associates had bought out the firm’s minority partner Michael Eagan of San Francisco and become 100% owner of Eagan Avenatti.

After the firm was hit with a $10-million judgment in a dispute with a lawyer who used to work there, Avenatti said that Avenatti & Associates no longer held any ownership stake in Eagan Avenatti, but declined to name the new owner.

I can't distill all those statements in that one spot and conclude that Avenatti is anything other than a shifty conman.

We have a TRump already, we don't need a cheap sleazy copy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 am 
Board Emeritus

Even Snopes finds the whole situation weird. And we know how much weirdness they deal with on a regular basis.

Shifty conmen, shifty conmen, everywhere ...

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/11/16/ ... got-weird/

The already-convoluted story took a weird turn when ardent Trump supporter and conspiracy theorist Jacob Wohl, known for committing securities fraud at age 19 and spinning yarns about eavesdropping on covert hordes of conservatives at hipster coffee shops in Los Angeles, inserted himself into the situation.

Wohl most recently gained notoriety when he held a spectacularly unsuccessful press conference in which he and fellow conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman accused U.S. Department of Justice Special Counsel Robert Mueller of having sexually assaulted a woman. To accomplish this caper, Wohl reportedly set up a company called Surefire Intelligence, which by many accounts was a front used to offer women money in exchange for making false sexual assault allegations against Mueller.

Mueller’s office has referred the scheme to the FBI for investigation.

The day Avenatti was taken into custody, the Twitter account belonging to Surefire Intelligence tweeted what appeared to be a boast taking credit for the arrest:

[snip]

Calls to a phone number listed on Surefire’s web site went unanswered. We sent an email to the address listed on the company’s website asking for an explanation for the tweet and received a response from an unidentified representative stating that it was “sarcastic” in nature. When we followed up asking if the person responding to our question was Wohl, we received no reply.

The street address listed for Surefire on the company’s website in fact belongs to a different and unrelated business.

[snip][end]

It also appears, Sam, that there is no sure fire, either.

As always, I look for iotas of verifiable fact in the morass of TMZ we all live in. Seems Snopes agrees on December 5th, Msr. Avenatti will be in court. For something.

Court appearances are matters of public record. Perhaps this cloud of uncertainty will part, a wee bit.

In the cloud, I did notice Avenatti making two contradictory claims: he never hit any woman, and unknown woman hit him first. (Would you need to say the 2nd thing if the 1st was true?) The fog also contains a observation that LAPD saw unknown woman's face was bruised.

Like I said, maybe some actual facts will eventually emerge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 am 
Board Emeritus

I have to laugh, now sam is calling Stormy a fraud.

amazing

I think that is great, I don't know anyone who needs a laugh more.

Her name is Julie Swetnick.

glen has pretty much called any woman rape victim who doesn't walk into the police station with the semen still dripping down her leg a fraud. Who knew Sam and glen would be cut from the same cloth when it comes to attitudes about women?

I pretty much knew. And we all know what Stormy's name is.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:07 am 
Board Emeritus

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/11/fbi-d ... cusations/

The FBI conducted a supplemental background investigation to review allegations against Kavanaugh made by two women: Christine Blasey Ford — the California professor who publicly testified that a drunk, teenage Kavanaugh assaulted her at a party in the 1980s — and Deborah Ramirez, who attended Yale with Kavanaugh and claimed that he exposed himself to her.

The supplemental investigation, which lasted several days, included interviewing 10 individuals about those allegations, according to the Senate Judiciary Committee. The bureau provided its report documenting the interviews to the White House, which then provided it to the Senate. The Judiciary Committee said the supplemental investigation showed there was “no corroboration of the allegations made by Dr. Ford or Ms. Ramirez.”

In other words, the FBI’s interviews did not substantiate the accusations by Ford or Ramirez — but they also did not show the accounts to be false.

The FBI investigation did not probe other allegations, including the accusations put forth by Julie Swetnick and her lawyer, Michael Avenatti.

Weeks after Kavanaugh was confirmed to the court, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley, referred Swetnick and Avenatti to the FBI for investigation for allegedly making “materially false statements” to the committee.

Grassley later made a similar referral to the FBI to investigate another woman, Judy Munro-Leighton. Grassley said in his referral letter that Munro-Leighton contacted the committee and claimed to be the “Jane Doe” who had submitted an earlier, anonymous written accusation against Kavanaugh. Munro-Leighton, as we’ve previously reported, admitted she in fact was not the woman who wrote that letter and had not even met Kavanaugh.

Those referrals relate only to Swetnick and Munro-Leighton, not to Ford or Ramirez.

On Nov. 2, the Senate Judiciary Committee released a lengthy report examining all of the accusations. It said that committee investigators “found no witness who could provide any verifiable evidence to support any of the allegations brought against Justice Kavanaugh.”

[snip][end]

Obviously, one wonders: how many people did they interview? Did they fail to reach certain witnesses that could have corroborated details?

So Munro-Leighton claimed to be the author of an anonymous letter, falsely. Is that a crime? BTW, that could mean, incidentally, there still IS a real "Jane Doe" who wrote that letter out there ...

Please note, the FBI never tried to corroborate, or falsify, Swetnick's story. They only looked into Ford and Ramirez'.

As failure to corroborate does not necessarily indicate a person is lying, does Grassley have any proof that Swetnick was LYING. (Yes, I know she changed a detail in her story.) Note that the FBI *did not* investigate her allegations. Is there some other source from which Grassley got info that her allegations were "materially false"? A Private Dick, as they say?

Last edited by ProfessorX on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 am 
Board Emeritus

glen has pretty much called any woman rape victim who doesn't walk into the police station with the semen still dripping down her leg a fraud.

Unless they accused Bill Clinton, of course, then they MUST be believed, even if there are inconsistencies in the accusation, or they actually never claimed assault/rape. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

BTW my initial reaction to this story was "what the fuck, who does that when they are running for prez and under such a spotlight"

Not many was my answer, but I decided to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Avenatti operates in a realm of L.A. where very little is real, and ego rules everything. Check out his web site, if he hasn't taken it down. He bills himself as a superlawyer who also, by the way, drives race cars. It's all just SO L.A..

I can't say about the DV arrest. There's not much to grab onto, as is typical in these L.A. circles. Intuitively, it feels like a set-up job.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

looks like he may have been framed as they used to say

https://twitter.com/selphnb/status/1064626723361239040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Still don't know what is going to happen on Dec. 5th or 10th, but the name of the alleged victim appears to have appeared.

NY actress files for domestic violence restraining order against Michael Avenatti
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... id=BHEA000

An actress is seeking a restraining order against Michael Avenatti after the prominent lawyer was arrested last week on suspicion of felony domestic violence.

Mareli Miniutti filed her petition Monday at the Santa Monica branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, online court records show.

She was given a follow-up hearing date of Dec. 10.

[snip]

Miniutti’s last known address was in Manhattan, according to public records.

The actress had a small, uncredited part in “Ocean’s 8” and plays a character named Anna in the upcoming Kurt Russell flick “Crypto,” according to her IMDB.com profile.

[snip][end]

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/11 ... -miniutti/

Miniutti Is a Native of Estonia

Oddly, several of the "facts" here are not actually about her at all.

I can't find her exact age on IMDB or Wiki, but feel safe in suspecting she's 2 decades younger than Avenatti.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

K. Looks like what happened in space and time is coming into view.

There will be no felony DV charges against Avenatti by the LA DA. However, they are leaving open the possibility he may face more minor, misdemeanor charges.

Michael Avenatti will not be charged with a felony in domestic violence arrest
The Los Angeles County District Attorney has referred the case for a possible misdemeanor charge.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... st-n939116

Los Angeles prosecutors declined to charge Michael Avenatti with a felony, stemming from his arrest last week on a domestic violence accusation, officials said Wednesday.

The L.A. County District Attorney’s Office bumped Avenatti’s case down to the L.A. City Attorney’s Office, a separate Southern California prosecution agency that presses misdemeanor cases.

Mareli Miniutti, who received a temporary restraining order against Avenatti, claimed that he roughed her up by grabbing her wrist and throwing her out of his apartment.

“A case presented today by Los Angeles police involving attorney Michael Avenatti has been referred to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office for misdemeanor filing consideration,” the LA County DA’s office said in a statement.

[snip]

Avenatti, the lawyer for porn star Stormy Daniels in her case against President Donald Trump and his former lawyer Michael Cohen, was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic abuse last week at his apartment in West Los Angeles.

Miniutti said she'd been living with Avenatti since January and last week they got into an argument over money. That dispute led to a tussle, she said, with Avenatti allegedly calling her an "ungrateful f****** b****."

The incident left red marks on her skin, Miniutti claimed.

[snip][end]