RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Volkswagon VW Beetle (Bug) is being discontinued and the last Beetle will roll-off the production line at VW's factory in Mexico next summer. VW is planning to produce a final "Special Edition" celebration series which will make the car a collector's item.

Quote:
The little German car that started in a Nazi-era factory and later carried countless hippies to concerts, lovefests and be-ins is nearly at the end of its 80-year journey. Volkswagen announced Thursday that it will cease production of its Beetle in July 2019.

Sales of the carmaker’s reboot of the “people’s car” have fallen dramatically in the U.S., where drivers are increasingly turning to larger cars and SUVs, and away from the modern version of the quirky car that once starred as Disney’s Herbie the 1963 “Love Bug.”

Volkswagen plans to produce a special “Final Edition” celebration Beetle series in the car’s sole factory in Mexico.

HuffPost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Actually they stopped making the commercial version of Dr. Porsche's WWII "strength through joy people's car" some time ago. More recently they brought back an updated bug which I think was even (pardon the expression) water cooled.

Odd... I see a lot of little Fiats and Minis around here. Small cars still seem to have a niche market. Maybe the diesel fraud thing hexed the veedub brand.

I don't know why all the other Americans want station wagons by any other name either. It makes sense if you're schlepping three kids and all their stuff around, otherwise I just don't get it. I do know that, in most cases, the car makers get a bigger profit on them than on old school sedans.

At least it gives all the designers from the same classes at Art Center School something to do. You know the look. Boxy, with tail lights that could go on a TIE fighter. Looking like some kind of Japanese anime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Actually they stopped making the commercial version of Dr. Porsche's WWII "strength through joy people's car" some time ago. More recently they brought back an updated bug which I think was even (pardon the expression) water cooled.

Odd... I see a lot of little Fiats and Minis around here. Small cars still seem to have a niche market. Maybe the diesel fraud thing hexed the veedub brand.

I don't know why all the other Americans want station wagons by any other name either. It makes sense if you're schlepping three kids and all their stuff around, otherwise I just don't get it. I do know that, in most cases, the car makers get a bigger profit on them than on old school sedans.

At least it gives all the designers from the same classes at Art Center School something to do. You know the look. Boxy, with tail lights that could go on a TIE fighter. Looking like some kind of Japanese anime.

I've owned a compact SUV, a Honda CR-V, for the last 11 years and before that I've owned only sedans. What I like about the CR-V is I ride higher in it so I can see over sedans better and the amount of room in cargo (trunk) area. I have a 4-ball bowling bag-roller with a 5th ball on top of the bag. All together it weighs about 70 pounds and it's easier for me to lift it into and out of the CRV than into a car trunk. Also, with the back seats folded down, I can get more stuff into the cargo area.

As for design, that's more to do with do with personal preference than with how well the car is designed or operates mechanically. The Ford Edsel was mechanically a good car but the designed sucked. Other cars which visually sucked included the Pontiac Aztek, the Nissan Cube, and the AMC Pacer (which I used to own). Design a car that looks too futuristic and most people will avoid it. Make a car that looks too basic or sterile and most people will avoid it. When it comes to design, most Americans opt for a conservative design without too much bling.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

1973 VW Bug new to me in 1973, my best friend at the time (some friend) borrowed it got drunk and wrapped it around one of our big trees

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

1973 VW Bug new to me in 1973, my best friend at the time (some friend) borrowed it got drunk and wrapped it around one of our big trees

Ouch!

Back in the mid-80s, I dated a woman who was big into Beetles and that's the only car she owned or wanted to drive. I never really got what the attraction to the car was. It was low-riding and noisy and I'd hate to think of what would have happened if got into a wreck. Her Bug broke down once and she called me to come get and her car. I borrowed a couple of aircraft cargo tie-down straps (10K load), linked them together and towed her car, using my Volvo, for a couple of miles back to her house where she worked on it and got it running again. She later traded the Bug for a newer "used" model.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ouch!

Back in the mid-80s, I dated a woman who was big into Beetles and that's the only car she owned or wanted to drive. I never really got what the attraction to the car was. It was low-riding and noisy and I'd hate to think of what would have happened if got into a wreck. Her Bug broke down once and she called me to come get and her car. I borrowed a couple of aircraft cargo tie-down straps (10K load), linked them together and towed her car, using my Volvo, for a couple of miles back to her house where she worked on it and got it running again. She later traded the Bug for a newer "used" model.

NOISY , boy that brings back memories.

I hate noisy cars from the inside.

The wrecks I have survived, i could write a book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

NOISY , boy that brings back memories.

I hate noisy cars from the inside.

The wrecks I have survived, i could write a book.

Of the 12 cars I've owned, I can't remember any of them being noisy either on the inside or outside. Like you, I hate noisy cars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 pm 
Policy Wonk

Same year as my VW Bug, which I bought new, trading in my Datsun 1600 roadster. I still miss the little blue bug. The problem with the new bugs is they neither looked, nor sounded like a real bug. I even miss the sound of the door shutting--chachunk!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

ill proudly boast that i had two bugs two Ghias and one bus while living in a college town. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

My Japanese Lexi cars are styled like those giant catfish earth quake and tsunami gods.

A comfortable ride all in all. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:58 am 

I know the Bug has a big cult following, but I am not a fan. The old air cooled models I never felt safe riding in. I remember the lights would go out and my friend would fix the wires with a safety pin. The new models, well, It's almost impossible for the average owner to even change a burnt out light bulb. Even the dipstick to check the oil was so cheaply made and broke so often, we stocked replacements dipsticks where I used to work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:37 am 
Board Emeritus

I know the Bug has a big cult following, but I am not a fan. The old air cooled models I never felt safe riding in. I remember the lights would go out and my friend would fix the wires with a safety pin. The new models, well, It's almost impossible for the average owner to even change a burnt out light bulb. Even the dipstick to check the oil was so cheaply made and broke so often, we stocked replacements dipsticks where I used to work.

It's nice to see you Wayne.

I had a bug in the 80's. The gas tank and it's filler pipe was in the trunk. If I spilled some it spilled into the bottom liner or into whatever else was in that trunk.

I used to tell people what fun it was to drive the wild thing, but to not ever take it further from home than they would be willing to walk.

It was fun. I lived where a corner of my yard was where two county roads crossed, and a hill was involved. I discovered that if there was enough snow on the ground we could use that car for sledding in my yard. We'd use one of the county roads for a runway to get going, then sled all the way across my yard.

But then there was that time when the fuel pump decided to not pump fuel anymore. I was forty miles from home and all I had was pliers and a screwdriver. I had to get out and open the hood. Remove the gas cap and then blow into the tank with my mouth over that pipe. That would fill the carburetor with a bit of gas. Then I would push start it in gear and leap in to drive it as far as it would go on that much gas, about a half mile. Then do it again. I got home.

When I left home for that last time I left the bug there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Well, my major problem is that Detroit, Germany, Japan and SK don't turn out many vehicles that I can fit in.

I owned a parade of junkers until the year Mrs. Bird and I got married.

'69 LTD
'69 Biscayne
'69 Mustang errr Rustang
'73 Torino
'71 Maverick with a three on the tree
'76 Pacer
'76 Monte Carlo This was in 1985 when we got married. It was stolen later that year.

After that I have owned fairly good vehicles. Probably the one I liked best was a 1989 Chevy Astro Van.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, my major problem is that Detroit, Germany, Japan and SK don't turn out many vehicles that I can fit in.

I owned a parade of junkers until the year Mrs. Bird and I got married.

'69 LTD
'69 Biscayne
'69 Mustang errr Rustang
'73 Torino
'71 Maverick with a three on the tree
'76 Pacer
'76 Monte Carlo This was in 1985 when we got married. It was stolen later that year.

After that I have owned fairly good vehicles. Probably the one I liked best was a 1989 Chevy Astro Van.

I had a '76 Pacer also. Surprisingly, it had a smooth ride due to its 102" wheel base. The problem with the design was all the glass at the rear of the car which would heat the car fast when the sun was out. I had two problems with the car requiring repair. The first was the "electronic box" went out and the dealer had to replace it. Fortunately, it was under warranty and they didn't charge me for it or the towing to their dealership. The second was after the warranty expired when the fuel gauge wouldn't work I didn't know if it was the float in the gas tank or the circuit board to the gauge. Since it was cheaper to replace the circuit board I bought a replacement board (printed on a large plastic film) and took off the dashboard and switched it out. That was the solution. Other than those two problems, I had no problems with the Pacer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I had a '76 Pacer also. Surprisingly, it had a smooth ride due to its 102" wheel base. The problem with the design was all the glass at the rear of the car which would heat the car fast when the sun was out. I had two problems with the car requiring repair. The first was the "electronic box" went out and the dealer had to replace it. Fortunately, it was under warranty and they didn't charge me for it or the towing to their dealership. The second was after the warranty expired when the fuel gauge wouldn't work I didn't know if it was the float in the gas tank or the circuit board to the gauge. Since it was cheaper to replace the circuit board I bought a replacement board (printed on a large plastic film) and took off the dashboard and switched it out. That was the solution. Other than those two problems, I had no problems with the Pacer.

Didn't really have problems although the blower motor didn't work which was my fault for not checking it when I bought it. Other than that it ran well enough.

My mother-in-law's Buick LeSabre had to have the battery replaced. The battery is located underneath the back seat. I was flabbergasted.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

The old veedub bug convertible had the battery under the back seat. The whole seat (about the size of two kids' swings) lifted out. The battery acid would eat out the metal underpan that comprised most of the car's frame, and sometimes the battery would fall out.

The thing made a good camera dolly, though. Camera went on sticks, chained down, and you let some air out of the tires. Operator and focus puller (if needed) went into the car. Everyone else pushed. Some great tracking shots were made that way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

i traded the 67 bug for a 72 NEW bug, me i bought a New bug. LOL.
it was a good car but i wanted a van so i got a bus. :surprise:
i cant recall how or why i got into the multi-color ghia but id bet its still multi color and
still in gainesville. :rw) :rw)

i liked the ghia, i got another one in post mil. i needed a van then too.
finally. i had a van and a small car. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

Playing "Maggie May" in the back of my friends VW bus, getting high high high

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

right, i remember, i sold the once new 72 bug for cash @2yrs, paid off a stud loan and bought
the cheap 5 color ghia.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

We've had three classic VW's.

1. First one, and my favorite, was a 1968 Blue Panel Van. Drove it until the sliding door fell off. Before that the tube that carried the sort of warm air from the engine compartment all the way up to the cab had already fallen out...I never really noticed. I installed a VW gas heater in it a few years earlier, so we weren't exactly cozy warm in it, but it kept the windows from frosting up on the inside. It was an ugly, noisy and scary fucking thing to have running inside the Van. We drove it from LA to Chicago in 1974...blew the engine in Cuba, MO...about 85 miles down I-44 SW of St. Louis. There was an independent VW mechanic right at the intersection of the interstate where we broke down. They towed it in, and we had a new engine in it and were back on the road to LA in 36 hours. Like this but no rack, sliding door on the passenger side only and way more rust:

2. Next was a 1972 Lime Green Beetle. Great Car. If I had a brain in my head when we owned it I would have never let it go, and restored it. But alas...I did not. We loved that car. We had an 8-track tape player under the driver's seat the whole time we owned it, and a couple of shitty oval speakers in boxes that I made. It was great.

3. Last...after the Panel Van died...we bought a used 1974 Bus. Pale yellow and white just like this one but no rack on top. I remember when it got older, every time I pulled the turn signal lever down to make a left turn it would set off the horn, so I was forced to use left arm turn signal until the window crank broke, and then I just stopped and turned and pissed everybody off behind me.

Drove it until it fell apart as well. One day my foot went right through the floor on the driver's side. I got a piece of sheet steel and screwed it in on top of the hole.

Always did our own tune ups, valve jobs, break jobs, almost everything but major engine and trans overhaul stuff. Those days are long gone. But those were great times and some of our favorite vehicles.

On a whole different level...our most prized car was a 1966 Pontiac LeMans Sprint Convertible. Fucking fabulous car...more fun than the GTO's. Straight OHC six, with the Quadrajet 4-bbl carburetor. Three speed on the floor, 75 LB racing clutch that was so stiff it kept shearing off the cheap cotter pin that held the clutch linkage together. Every three or four months I'd be underneath the car on some scuzzy Chicago street putting a new cotter pin in it. I tried everything I could find including 4d finishing nails to keep that thing together but at some point it would just cut right through everything. It also had no mufflers...previous owner installed a split exhaust manifold, dual exhausts, with nothing but glass packs in line. It was fucking loud. We were escorted out of more than one swanky Chicago northern suburb by the cops because of all the noise. It red lined at 6100 RPM and there weren't a lot of cars on the street that could beat it off the line. If I had kept that one, it would be worth quite a bit of money today. Fully restored 40,000, 50,000 for the rag top. More than some of the GTO's.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

nice VWs.

those were good days. i dont know many who accrued big student loans, it was a lifestyle being
a student. rof. some quarters i worked some i went full time some i did both part time. i wasnt
fond of running up big loan bullshit which happens when you rush thru college.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our family had some neat cars. Best one was an already ancient Jaguar XK140 with the C-jag racing engine, which barely worked right on the street. No electric fan. If you got stuck in traffic, the temp gauge went offscreen and started reading in amps or something from the scale on the other gauge mounted in the same hole. You carried radiator hoses around in the trunk, sorry, the boot. Usually it blew the bottom one. You did not want to be changing a bottom hose on an XK140 while parked along some street. It was also a good idea to feed the master cylinders frequently, so you carried around a little can of racing brake fluid. The electrical system, of course, was vintage Lucas The Prince of Darkness.

We picked up the 140 for a song. Hundreds, not thousands. Previous owner had only used it to slip out to Vegas and cheat on his wife. He died, and she was afraid to drive the thing. Judging from the way the car was set up, he probably owned the (illegal) speed record on some interstate. It started feeling its oats around 80, and by the time you hit 100 everything was settled down and working quite nicely.

I know the 140 is still on the road, though I don't know the current owner. It's been restored. Given L.A. traffic, I doubt it's driven much. Probably goes to concours d'elegance on a trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Our family had some neat cars. Best one was an already ancient Jaguar XK140 with the C-jag racing engine, which barely worked right on the street. No electric fan. If you got stuck in traffic, the temp gauge went offscreen and started reading in amps or something from the scale on the other gauge mounted in the same hole. You carried radiator hoses around in the trunk, sorry, the boot. Usually it blew the bottom one. You did not want to be changing a bottom hose on an XK140 while parked along some street. It was also a good idea to feed the master cylinders frequently, so you carried around a little can of racing brake fluid. The electrical system, of course, was vintage Lucas The Prince of Darkness.

We picked up the 140 for a song. Hundreds, not thousands. Previous owner had only used it to slip out to Vegas and cheat on his wife. He died, and she was afraid to drive the thing. Judging from the way the car was set up, he probably owned the (illegal) speed record on some interstate. It started feeling its oats around 80, and by the time you hit 100 everything was settled down and working quite nicely.

I know the 140 is still on the road, though I don't know the current owner. It's been restored. Given L.A. traffic, I doubt it's driven much. Probably goes to concours d'elegance on a trailer.

Doesnt matter what year it was what model, or model year...with all those old British Leyland products you really needed two of them. One running, the other in the repair shop or ready to go in to the repair shop. My bro-in-law had this great fire engine red, of course, 1972 TR6. The blonde and me would go over to their place every Sunday afternoon. Glenn and I would spend a couple of hours in the garage, monkeying around with the TR6, and most of the time it got him to work every day the following week.* The sisters and mother-in-law would be in the kitchen talking and talking, and making dinner. Later, after dinner, we would go sit in the family room and watch Monty Python on PBS, and then drive back home. That was how we spent our Sundays for over a decade. It was the best of times.

*A common problem with this one was the throttle linkage. I cant remember what it looked like but no matter what he or his mechanic did, there was one screw or nut or cutter pin or something in the throttle that would always come loose...and the linkage wouldnt fall out, but it would just start flopping around. So he would have to get out of the car with a box wrench or a hex wrench and put it back together, and it would always be in a blizzard or a downpour. So every Sunday, we would tighten everything up on the throttle linkage. I swear he would even put Loctite on it and it would still come loose. Also a previous owner had installed a starter button in the dash and no matter what Glenn would do to it, inevitably he would poke it one day and the whole assembly would fall back behind the dashboard. I think that pissed him off more than anything.

Last edited by Ike Bana on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

My first tour of England in the min-80, we were told at our in-briefing to be wary of buying an English car because most of them have problems. Specifically mentioned was one manufacturer whose car body would rust quickly because when the end of the work day on Friday, if there were cars bodies in the anti-rust bath when the line shut down they would remain there until Monday morning. Sitting in the anti-rust bath too long weekend the car’s metal and within a year or two you could poke your finger though the body. I did see a couple of cars like that while I was there.

Another instance, a friend of mine drove their English made car to Scotland for a visit and on the way home stopped at a pub for dinner. When they got out of the car there was a burning smell coming from the car. He popped the hood and found his battery had melted. When the car was repaired the mechanic told him the problem was the alternator putting out too much current to the battery. I never heard of anything like that happening or have since but I’ll go by what my friend said.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most of the really serious work on the 140 was done by a racing mechanic in Redondo Beach. His shop had photos of him driving various really impressive race cars. He'd see the 140 come in and ask, "THAT thing still running?"

Many adventures getting a semi-functioning car down there in huge rain storms. Yes, it used to actually rain in L.A.. I can't believe it either, but it happened. Lucas the Prince of Darkness didn't like rain.

This was a period where most European countries made cars that ran badly in their climates. I don't know how veedub owners got around the northern parts of Germany, since rain came in the vents on the hood and the distributor crapped out. Later an aftermarket company sold vent shrouds that would prevent this. Absent that, a plastic bag worked.