RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just read an article about NFL attendance being down. I am sure the left will claim people are staying away because of the way the owners reacted to player protests.

I am equally sure the right will claim people are reacting to the player protests.

Both will be equally wrong. The reason attendance is down is very simple. It is because it costs to damn much money to attend a game.

The owners in their collective greed have priced out the blue collar base. I am guessing thst to take a family of 4 to a game you are looking at $500. People work to hard to spend 500 on an afternoon football game.

Owners are wealthy men who are completely out of touch with the way their fan base lives

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's something to that. The ticket prices are definitely set by "whatever the traffic will bear." There's also all this BS with the seat licenses and/or the only cheap seats being somewhere where you can see better on TV. At some point, it starts to exceed what the core sports audience wants to lay out for a family day at the game. Or, of course, you can build stadiums that largely exclude this audience, the way Staples Center made the Lakers like a night at the opera.

Not just sports. You're looking at $125 a pop (and up) for concerts and theme parks too. They can get it, so they do, but at some point they start to kill the golden goose.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's because Colin Kapernick started taking a knee, we all know that....according to glen that is.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

going to these games is a pain in the ass anymore. driving distance, parking, food, peeing, ticket costs.
you cant hear a thing, dont know what the play was or what the call was.

you can be so more comfy at home in your recliner staring at that 78' TV across your entire wall.
why, its like being At the game only you can HEAR the announcers esplain what happened and peeing
is qwik during a commercial and that beer is right there in the fridge on the way to the john.

one seems like econ slavery the other seems like home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have no doubt that there some who won't attend because the right of free speech shouldn't apply to black football players. That being said I think that the product has become mundane. I think that the idea of Thursday night football was a foolish gimmick. Basically the product has suffered and as noted by Glen and others it costs too much to ss in person. As long as TV networks are willing to pay it will continue. Once the networks decide it is no linger worth it pro football will contract and perhaps die.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Zowie is right. It's down for the same reason Major League Baseball is down 6.6% from this time last year. It's too expensive.

Quote:
Major League Baseball has taken a big hit this year — in league-wide attendance that is. MLB attendance has dropped to its lowest average in 15 years, down 6.6% from this time last year and 8.6% overall, according to Stats LLC. The league could see its first season since 2003 with average attendance below 30,000.

And particularly too expensive when the club hasn't had a prayer for going to the playoffs since May 1st. The top clubs are doing fine...Wrigley is packed every day. Although Wrigley was pretty packed even when the Cubs didn't have a prayer for making the playoffs. And the owners make the big money from the TV contract, the merchandising, and simply the Brand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have no doubt that there some who won't attend because the right of free speech shouldn't apply to black football players. That being said I think that the product has become mundane. I think that the idea of Thursday night football was a foolish gimmick. Basically the product has suffered and as noted by Glen and others it costs too much to ss in person. As long as TV networks are willing to pay it will continue. Once the networks decide it is no linger worth it pro football will contract and perhaps die.

between college on saturdays we got this game ON TV sunday thursday monday, thats Four days a week
to NOT spend money And see this game played.

Last edited by rainwater on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Zowie is right. It's down for the same reason Major League Baseball is down 6.6% from this time last year. It's too expensive.

And particularly too expensive when the club hasn't had a prayer for going to the playoffs since May 1st. The top clubs are doing fine...Wrigley is packed every day. Although Wrigley was pretty packed even when the Cubs didn't have a prayer for making the playoffs. And the owners make the big money from the TV contract, the merchandising, and simply the Brand.

Well, in Cleveland they averaged 24,000 this year which is 21st in baseball. One of the so-called explanations is that "this is a Browns town" which is idiotic considering they have won 2 games in just over two years. People are idiots.

As for baseball they need to contract. Both Florida teams need to go away. I think they could probably shitcan Arizona and Colorado as well. The talent has become diluted.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just read an article about NFL attendance being down. I am sure the left will claim people are staying away because of the way the owners reacted to player protests.

I am equally sure the right will claim people are reacting to the player protests.

Both will be equally wrong. The reason attendance is down is very simple. It is because it costs to damn much money to attend a game.

The owners in their collective greed have priced out the blue collar base. I am guessing thst to take a family of 4 to a game you are looking at $500. People work to hard to spend 500 on an afternoon football game.

Owners are wealthy men who are completely out of touch with the way their fan base lives

And I sure you don’t know the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Perhaps some are out of touch with their fan base...but typically they are not completely out of touch with reality. Tragic we can't say the same for you.

Besides, how the fuck do you know that every one of them is out of touch with their fan base. Not every NFL owner was born rich, numbnuts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:05 pm 
Policy Wonk

well what we learned recently is pretty chilling that owners are standing in solidarity with unjustified police killings of people of color

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Seriously. Football in the big cities is hopeless. The NFL became a game for the owners and their corporate backers. It's all suites and old white guys getting stinking drunk and pretty much ignoring what's on the field.

Then, like someone said, they're not even all on Sundays (plus the one Monday night game) any more. I think Tuesday and Wednesday are the only days WITHOUT football. This is what television does. It makes more and more of everything, and turns it into mush.

I get the idea that butts in seats just don't matter as much as they used to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am 
Board Emeritus

Oh please, PLEASE let football season die! I hate the sport, it's owners, and those stupid half time shows.

end of rant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

srsly.

they want everyone to stay home and pay some corp food outfit deliver your food in a box
tell alexa to do Everything so you dont have to, yet they want all this energy expenditure to
attend one of these hoopla games. makes no sense to me.
if i can go to one of these games i dont need some machine tossing me some food in the yard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I had a good friend who had season tickets to the KC Chiefs back in the eighties and nineties. He'd make the three-hour trip every game, and was a super-fan. He and his wife had good union jobs, and that was a big deal to them.

But in the 2000's, he said the seat licenses became too expensive, and he had to give them up.

The NFL's problem isn't Trump and the racism - although that is a factor. No, it's the cost and the fact that the game is too dangerous, and the rule changes to try to save quarterbacks is making the game less enjoyable. There is a real problem for the league long-term.

It's also a problem for our nation, as the corporations do everything they can to cut the salaries and buying power of their workers and send the jobs overseas, then they wonder why the American consumer doesn't buy anything.

Henry Ford learned if you would pay your workers well, it would supercharge the economy. Conservatives are too stupid to understand that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

the millens DGAF about going to these 'games'.
gotta laff. :rw) :rw)

theyd rather D&D. or selfie or video game control-ey stuffs.
young millens dont even know who the tom brady is. :rw) :rw)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm 
Policy Wonk

I had a good friend who had season tickets to the KC Chiefs back in the eighties and nineties. He'd make the three-hour trip every game, and was a super-fan. He and his wife had good union jobs, and that was a big deal to them.

But in the 2000's, he said the seat licenses became too expensive, and he had to give them up.

The NFL's problem isn't Trump and the racism - although that is a factor. No, it's the cost and the fact that the game is too dangerous, and the rule changes to try to save quarterbacks is making the game less enjoyable. There is a real problem for the league long-term.

It's also a problem for our nation, as the corporations do everything they can to cut the salaries and buying power of their workers and send the jobs overseas, then they wonder why the American consumer doesn't buy anything.

Henry Ford learned if you would pay your workers well, it would supercharge the economy. Conservatives are too stupid to understand that.

Fords family are nfl owners. I havent watched any games this year its pretty shocking what the nfl owners are saying and doing in regards to unjustified police killings of people of color.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:08 pm 

not all the teams are 'owned' by greedy azz whyt menz....see Green Bay Packers....

in addition to folx not watching because of INSANE COSTS, ratings are down because of the protests for and against, as well as the new rules....there's been an inordinate amount of ROUGHING THE PASSER penalties this year...

PRO FOOTBALL is on 3 days a week...Saturdays are for college, and I know I can afford a ticket to a Buckeye or Bearcat game...

I really like football, and hockey....if I need a nap, I watch either baseball or golf...

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 am 
Board Emeritus

not all the teams are 'owned' by greedy azz whyt menz....see Green Bay Packers....

in addition to folx not watching because of INSANE COSTS, ratings are down because of the protests for and against, as well as the new rules....there's been an inordinate amount of ROUGHING THE PASSER penalties this year...

PRO FOOTBALL is on 3 days a week...Saturdays are for college, and I know I can afford a ticket to a Buckeye or Bearcat game...

I really like football, and hockey....if I need a nap, I watch either baseball or golf...

The Green Bay Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay, not any one individual or group. The Packers became a publicly-owned team back in the 20s and in the 1980s the NFL established ownership rules that banned publicly-owned teams but since the Pack was already publicly-owned they grandfathered the team.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:40 am 
Board Emeritus

The Green Bay Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay, not any one individual or group. The Packers became a publicly-owned team back in the 20s and in the 1980s the NFL established ownership rules that banned publicly-owned teams but since the Pack was already publicly-owned they grandfathered the team.

It's owned by the PEOPLE of Green Bay, not the city. It's a stock-owned non-profit organization. Each person can only own so much stock, so no one can take control, and the stock pays no dividends. Profits go back into the team.

Also, all concessions at the games are ran by local charities, and they keep the proceeds. I had the honor of going to a Green Bay game at Lambeau Field several years ago, thanks to jdogg. A highlight of my life.

If all sports leagues were ran on this business model, things would be much better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 am 
Policy Wonk

I'd say that with the NFL there isn't a whole lot of "action". The actual plays account for an increasingly smaller percentage of a game, between commercial breaks and non-commercial breaks and the play clock. This doesn't retain viewers, especially younger viewers. This sort of thing impacts both live and TV viewership.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Pack is the exception. Yes, Saturday is for college football, until that ends around Christmas. Then the NFL uses it too. Then you have your 5 days a week. Only Tuesday and Wednesday have no pro football.

College football is way more fun, but it too has problems. There's no good way to recruit players that doesn't reward a few programs with big money backers. They bend the rules so far that they might as well be the NFL farm system. No one cares for the most part, because it's good football, but it's only for a very small portion of Division I.

What's the point if the same 8 schools are the only national title contenders in 90% of the years? They should split off, become a REAL farm system for the NFL with paid players and everything, and stop the charade that is big time college football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:25 pm 

It's owned by the PEOPLE of Green Bay, not the city. It's a stock-owned non-profit organization. Each person can only own so much stock, so no one can take control, and the stock pays no dividends. Profits go back into the team.

Also, all concessions at the games are ran by local charities, and they keep the proceeds. I had the honor of going to a Green Bay game at Lambeau Field several years ago, thanks to jdogg. A highlight of my life.

If all sports leagues were ran on this business model, things would be much better.

Agreed

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.
LYNDON B. JOHNSON, 1960

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Pack is the exception. Yes, Saturday is for college football, until that ends around Christmas. Then the NFL uses it too. Then you have your 5 days a week. Only Tuesday and Wednesday have no pro football.

College football is way more fun, but it too has problems. There's no good way to recruit players that doesn't reward a few programs with big money backers. They bend the rules so far that they might as well be the NFL farm system. No one cares for the most part, because it's good football, but it's only for a very small portion of Division I.

What's the point if the same 8 schools are the only national title contenders in 90% of the years? They should split off, become a REAL farm system for the NFL with paid players and everything, and stop the charade that is big time college football.

The lack of a farm system for the NFL and NBA is a problem. The so-called developmental league or whatever the hell the NBA calls it is horseshit. I also have a problem with the NBA and NFL not being able to draft players out of college. MLB is allowed precisely because baseball is not the money maker for colleges that basketball and football are. Any legislation and/or court decision that prevents a player from being drafted by pro basketball or pro football right out of high school is, imo, wrong. Of course the entire concept of pro sports as a ticket out of racial and economic segregation is disgusting. Rich white men buying meat for their games.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

The people of Green Bay are the stockholders and they elect the board of directors to run the team. The stockholders receive no dividends nor can they the sell or trade the stock. All profits are plowed back into the team to keep it operating. Good article by Sports Illustrated.
Quote:
This isn’t your average stock. There’s no profiting off shares. No lucky Green Bay fan will get rich off the team’s te]Super Bowl win because the stock pays no dividends and isn’t tradeable or saleable. There’s hardly even a point to owning more than one share because the articles of incorporation prohibit any individual from becoming too powerful. No one can own more than 200,000 shares. The stock isn’t currently available, but the price of a single stock in the last offering ($250) bought shareholders a souvenir certificate to hang up on the wall, the chance to buy exclusive shareholders-only merchandise and an invite to the annual shareholders meeting at Lambeau Field during training camp.

Without the ability to profit or weigh in on any important team decisions, owning a share of the Packers is essentially buying a lifetime membership to a Packers fan club. Green Bay shareholder Alex Stevens says the fan club characterization is selling it short. “The benefit that we get is that our team is run by board members and their only real goal is to make money so the franchise survives and that happens by the team winning,” Stevens says. ”So we don’t have to worry about an owner falling in love with a player in the draft and overriding the general manager.”
SI