Post subject: Sixteen Counts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:09 pm 

The verdict is in.

Guilty of second degree murder.

Not guilty of official misconduct.

Post subject: Re: Sixteen Counts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

We watched the verdict live...no reaction from anybody in the courtroom including Van Dyke. The judge warned everybody in the room that anybody who reacted, made a sound, would immediately be arrested.

Outside, activists and others seemed satisfied with the verdict. A few expressed disappointment that it was not a 1st degree murder verdict, but acknowledged that between the 2nd degree murder conviction and the 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, that Vaan Dyke would be going away for a long time.

Regarding the failure to convict on the official misconduct charge, the news attorney, a well know local attorney named Irv Miller, said it didn't make any sense that there could be 2nd degree and aggravated battery convictions and no official misconduct conviction. Miller suggested that this would be a primary point in the appeal.

An ugly statement out of the Fraternal Order of Police.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

I expected him to walk.

Anyone see Seven Seconds?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Jason Van Dyke found guilty on 2nd. Degree Murder.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/05/ ... ee-murder/.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I expected him to walk.

No.

WAIT yes I did, that was amazing, wasnt it.

So well done, so real. Cops cover for each other every day on every known crime, including murder, EVERY day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I expected him to walk.

I didnt think he would walk with a not guilty verdict. Although I thought there was a possibility the jury would be hung. When I heard the verdict I though for sure the community would rise up in a rage that he wasnt convicted of murder one. The generally positive response actually surprised me.

I saw an interesting comment in a local forum. This guy posted..."Van Dyke got exactly what he deserved. As for McDonald, he was out walking around the neighborhood with his knife, looking for trouble, and he found it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 am 
Board Emeritus

One count for each bullet.

"I feared for my life, blah blah..." :roll: :problem:

The Chicago Culture That Created Jason Van Dyke - Atlantic

Quote:
On Friday, three years after the video’s release, Van Dyke became the first Chicago police officer in half a century to be found guilty of murder for an on-duty shooting. The verdict was read in a percussive manner, “Guilt … Guilty … Guilty …” of second-degree murder and all 16 counts of aggravated battery. That was one for each of the bullets that tore through McDonald’s body. While the verdict gave his friends, family, and Chicago some relief, if not for that video, we would never have learned Laquan McDonald’s name. As for Jason Van Dyke, he’d still be walking the beat.

Beginning in 1998, when I was a law clerk in the Chicago prosecutor’s office and studying the criminal court system for my Ph.D. in sociology, I had a front-row seat to the culture that created Van Dyke, a culture that reached all the way into the court system. I heard police officers walk into the courthouse using racial slurs, call black men “dogs,” mock defendants in bastardized Ebonics, and bully judges and prosecutors who questioned their framing of cases and events on the street.

Police would make cases more convincing by, as they put it, “shading” or “fudging” details to shape reports and testimony. They might, for example, change the weight or height of an offender to better fit a description. But they were often even bolder in pursuit of conviction. Sometimes there was a dead suspect and the story behind the death did not make sense. Prosecutors would step out of the room so police partners could “refresh their memories”; that was code for getting their version of the story straight.

At best, these practices stacked the deck in favor of prosecutors. At worst, they violated state and constitutional protections for defendants, stripping them of their due-process rights.

Judges who questioned the veracity of police testimony or reports were considered disrespectful traitors and were treated as such. Once, in a courtroom with a judge who was said to scrutinize drug cases too closely, two officers leaned over to me and called the judge a “fucking liberal” who “flushed” their work “down the toilet with the crap.”

I also heard about cases that sounded hauntingly similar to McDonald’s. A prosecutor I interviewed explained how he tried to tell his supervisor that two officers were lying about a suspect’s death. This move came with severe consequences for his career. As he described it, his supervisor screamed, “You’re a prosecutor, not a defense attorney!” and assigned a new lawyer to the case.

F. that guy.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:19 am 
Board Emeritus

Sixteen Shots, the cop was really lousy shot. He was not in fear of his life, he had himself an old fashioned "Mad Minute". He kept firing until the clip was empty. There was no fear at all, just cop who lost it.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Didn't hear, how much time did he get or has it been announced yet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:33 am 
Board Emeritus

On td ge news that day we were repeatedly told that in Illinois an aggravated battery with a firearm conviction carries a more severe sentence than the 2nd degree murder conviction...6 to 30 years. In Illinois 2nd degree murder gets 4 to 20 years. Its expected he will get closer to the top end of the possible sentence for the aggravated battery conviction.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 am 
Board Emeritus

On the news that day we were repeatedly told that in Illinois an aggravated battery with a firearm conviction carries a more severe sentence than the 2nd degree murder conviction...6 to 30 years. In Illinois 2nd degree murder gets 4 to 20 years. Its expected he will get closer to the top end of the possible sentence for the aggravated battery conviction.

The first of several sentencing hearings will be on Oct 31. Hearings after that will be scheduled one at a time. So sentencing could take months.

Personal experience...a close friend's brother was murdered in a road rage incident some years ago. The killer was convicted of 2nd degree murder and sentenced to 8 years in prison.

A friend was killed by an asshole 17 year old drunk in 2010, who was initially charged as a minor but had the charge switched to adult court when he was arrested for DUI two weeks after being bonded out on the vehicular homicide charge. He was convicted and sentenced to 12 years in prison even though his mother insisted he was a "good boy" and that he was feeling "really bad."

He was paroled in 2016. Our friend was incinerated in his car by this asshole, and he's free as a bird.