RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 am 
Board Emeritus

This could be a problem for the Florida Panhandle. May see a direct hit around Thursday, possibly as a Category 2.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am 
Board Emeritus

I see that all of Long Island is in the cone now. Presumably Jersey will have its usual flood. This is a yearly occurrence now, one rain storm from a hurricane remnant per year, always around Indigenous Peoples' Day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm glad I sold my house in the Panhandle and moved to California. I'm willing to put up with earthquakes rather than hurricanes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

Is there a way climate change can harm ONLY deniers?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not on this planet.

And, BTW, I don't want harm to come to them, even if - as I suspect - some of their denialism comes from deliberate distortion of the facts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 am 
Board Emeritus

Currently projected to possibly be a Category 3, and hitting around the Panama City area around Wednesday.

Some evacuations are already starting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeh well, I got news for ya, Gulf Coast...more than Michael is coming.

As I posted elswhere this morning...

The Skimm - 10/9/18
Climate change. A major UN report says that the world has 12 years to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions – otherwise we could see severe impacts of climate change by 2040. This report was written by almost 100 international experts on climate change, looking at more than 6,000 studies. These experts now say that some of the worst impacts of climate change (think: more frequent droughts and flooding, and extreme heat that could lead to things like food shortages and potentially affect hundreds of millions of people) are expected to happen in our lifetimes. To keep the earth's temp from reaching the point of no return, the UN body says governments need to set up high carbon taxes. Yesterday. And that the use of coal needs to drop ASAP. The report admits that getting all of human civilization to roll back emissions on this scale has never been done before. Happy Tuesday.

So go ahead and go for Trump and the GOP, Florida...bringing back coal for the health of the nation. Especially you assholes in the low country panhandle counties that went 75-80% Trump. And who put scum like Matt Gaetz and Neal Dunn in the US House. Invest in waders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:39 am 
Board Emeritus

That coast is used to hurricanes, but this one's kind of big. Fortunately the same air circulation that's made NYC a steamy mess is supposed to pick it up and send it barreling up the coast in a couple of days.

Carolinas don't need the rain, but they're right in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 am 
Board Emeritus

Michael is now a Category 4 and will be hitting the Gulf Coast soon. Impacts are already starting.

As the Weather Channel puts it right now on its home page (I think you know the link):

UNPRECEDENTED EVENT UNFOLDING IN FLA.

LANDFALL FORECAST
CATASTROPHE NEARS: WATER LEVELS RISING, WINDS INCREASING
MAP UPDATED: WHERE WE EXPECT POWER LOSS FOR DAYS

Fla. Gov: This 'Scares the Ever Living Daylight Out of Me'
Hurricane Center Director: 'This is an Unprecedented Event'
From Cat. 1 to Cat. 4 in Less Than 24 Hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am 
Board Emeritus

Nonexistent Climate Change Meets the Redneck Riviera

Rated R
Some scenes may be far too intense for just about everybody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Life-Threatening Conditions Imminent as Hurricane Michael Is Close to Catastrophic, Unprecedented Florida Panhandle, Big Bend Category 4 Landfall

Hurricane Michael is close to a catastrophic, unprecedented Category 4 strike on the Florida Panhandle and Big Bend with a life-threatening storm surge and over 100 mph winds possible not just near the coast, but also inland that could leave some areas without power for over a week.

An extreme wind warning has been issued until 2:15 p.m. EDT for Gulf, southern Bay and southwestern Franklin counties where winds in excess of 130 mph are moving onshore. This is an extremely dangerous and life-threatening situation. Treat this warning as if a tornado was approaching and move immediately to the safe room in your shelter, advises the National Weather Service

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... st-florida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

That coast is used to hurricanes, but this one's kind of big. Fortunately the same air circulation that's made NYC a steamy mess is supposed to pick it up and send it barreling up the coast in a couple of days.

Carolinas don't need the rain, but they're right in it.

Florida is used to hurricanes but the problem now is they are bigger and more powerful than usual and that's due to climate change. Hurricanes gain strength when they pass over the ocean where the water is warmer. The warmer the water temperature the stronger the storm and climate change is making the water warmer. It's only going to get worse as the effects of climate change become more noticeable. The outer islands along the Florida coast will be changed or, in some cases, disappear and the coastline/beaches will be altered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

why is this one "unprecedented"...wasnt katrina unprecedented...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

This one's because it's the first cat 4 (really cat 5 in all but name) to hit that region in known times. Besides, everything's unprecedented.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

if each becomes "unprecedented" we're all fucked.
oh, wait. we're all fucked anyway. oh ok.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/how-s ... fmWzPr7sO/
How strong was Hurricane Katrina?
Aug 29, 2017

By the morning of Aug. 28, the National Hurricane Center reported that Katrina was a Category 5 storm with sustained winds of 174 mph. At that time, the storm was predicted to hit near the Florida-Alabama state line.

At this time 12 years ago, Hurricane Katrina was near its peak intensity as a Category 5 monster in the Gulf of Mexico. pic.twitter.com/P7mm9ebfAx
— Philip Klotzbach (@philklotzbach) August 28, 2017

Here’s a look at how Katrina came to be and the devastating toll the storm took on New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Katrina is born
The mass of thunderstorms that would become Hurricane Katrina came together in an area over the Bahamas on Aug. 23, 2005 -- an interaction between a fading tropical depression and a gaining tropical wave. It took the newly formed depression less than 12 hours to strengthen into a tropical storm.
The next day, as Katrina moved into the Gulf of Mexico, the storm underwent rapid intensification. By the morning of Aug. 28, the National Hurricane Center reported that Katrina was a Category 5 storm with sustained winds of 174 mph. At that time, the storm was predicted to hit near the Florida-Alabama state line.
The Warning
By early morning on the 28th, the storm had not taken the slight turn forecasters had expected. The NHC revised its forecast, moving landfall to the west along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. At 10:11 a.m. local time, Robert Ricks, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Louisiana, issued a statement warning those in the low-lying areas of Louisiana of what was to come:

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED

STRENGTH... RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

They are saying it was 2 mph shy of being a Category 5 when it made landfall.

Anyway, Katrina probably was a stronger storm, they're just saying this was the strongest to hit the Panhandle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Anyway, Katrina probably was a stronger storm, they're just saying this was the strongest to hit the Panhandle.

GOP christians said this is from god for us fucking with kavanaugh...so god is gonna kill a bunch of rightwing braindead Floridian xtians because, what?

Confused again. happens a lot lately

ND the SC has decided to violate the constitution, I hear. just in time to prevent a dem from winning an election

bye bye USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

thats the thing: people along the panhandle which is technically florida itself and the gulf coast which
is all of it from NOLA to Tampa...or houston to tampa...all that is considered 'the gulf coast'.
..people along the gulf coast are still fucked and non-rebuilt, a bit further on than puerto rico but
not at all "recovered".
ive talked with people from "gulf coast" this summer and they say its a disaster area still.

so for now Most of the east coast is destroyed, deconstructed, left blowing in the wind and standing
in the rain.
you realize How Many People that is?....across the south and well into TX...
this is accurate for half the Caribbean at this time, too.

how many millions of humans does this come to? 10?...20?...more???

who imagines that ANY of this will be "rebuilt" and if so who's gonna insure it?
not. gonna. happen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

the people i spoke to with a home still in panhandle gulf coast Fla, damaged but survived it...they said from Apalachicola on it was still called a disaster area locally.

this one...this storm wipes it all out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

NOLA had a massive storm and it also had a levee system that didnt hold therefore leaving
1/3 of the city under water most of which couldnt go anywhere. it was held in the "bowl"
of the 9th ward.
this made katrina NOLA the worst shit anyone had seen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

meanwhile prezshit4brains has another taxpayer pays money wasting applause for me party
during this disaster.

isnt this deconstructed ravaged area where his base used to live? ? ?
how many promises will he keep. someone count.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

when you speak to someone from all that way around the gulf coast and you say NOLA and Katrina?...
they will Snap back and say...it wasnt just new orleans that got hit.

its an eye opener: they are Correct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hurricane Michael Eye Wall In Panama City At Peak Intensity

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:49 am 
Board Emeritus

Katrina actually lost wind speed right before landfall, and came in as a cat 3, IIRC. Earlier reports of stronger wind turned out to be in error. The issue was that the storm was nearly the size of the Gulf itself, and it had a very long fetch to pick up water for surge. The surge in many places was something like 20 feet. It got funneled by some poorly designed waterways in the area.

NOLA actually got off much easier than expected until the levees burst and the bowl flooded. You know how infrastructure works in this country. There had been plans for the Army Engineers to fix them and the pumping stations, but as usual, the Republican administration had other priorities.

People who live there describe the coastal damage in that hurricane season as post-nuke. It started somewhere in Texas, and went all the way to Alabama.

This time, Mexico Beach, FL, is a nuke scene. There are places near the beach where maybe 1 or 2 well-built houses on stilts are more or less still standing, and everything else around them is gone. Not piles of rubble as much as just gone.

But nothing's wrong with the climate. And Hillary's e-mails were the felony of the century. And the sun rises in the west.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Tropical Storm Michael: 2 deaths reported as storm moves over Georgia

PANAMA CITY, Fla. -- Hurricane Michael's battering waves swamped streets and docks and shrieking winds splintered trees and rooftops. The most powerful hurricane on record to hit Florida's Panhandle left wide destruction and at least two people dead.

It wasn't nearly finished Thursday as it crossed Georgia toward the Carolinas, still reeling from epic flooding in Hurricane Florence.

https://abc7.com/weather/tropical-storm ... a/4453644/