All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: We Have Until 2030
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/cl ... index.html

Quote:
CNN)Governments around the world must take "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society" to avoid disastrous levels of global warming, says a stark new report from the global scientific authority on climate change.

The report issued Monday by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), says the planet will reach the crucial threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by as early as 2030, precipitating the risk of extreme drought, wildfires, floods and food shortages for hundreds of millions of people.

The date, which falls well within the lifetime of many people alive today, is based on current levels of greenhouse gas emissions.

The planet is already two-thirds of the way there, with global temperatures having warmed about 1 degree C. Avoiding going even higher will require significant action in the next few years.

Just a little over 10 years to reverse course.

Meanwhile, China and Russia seek the new silk road by gunning for climate change to open the arctic for oil. Problem is, the leaders of those countries will most likely be dead by then. Same with Trump. And if the world is fucked oil is pretty much useless.

Post subject: Re: We Have Until 2030
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html

Just a little over 10 years to reverse course.

Meanwhile, China and Russia seek the new silk road by gunning for climate change to open the arctic for oil. Problem is, the leaders of those countries will most likely be dead by then. Same with Trump. And if the world is fucked oil is pretty much useless.

I heard that guy on Hartmann today and his expectations of what we need to do were very unrealistic. No coal usage and zero sum emissions from fossil fuels. I kept waiting for him to offer alternatives that would replace both but, during the time I was able to listen I herd nothing.

I believe the American people would be more open and accepting of agreements like the Paris accords if they set the same standards for everyone. It seems those agreements always punish the usa while naming countries like China as emerging economies who don't need to meet the same standards.

Lets have one standard for the world and a set date for every country to meet that standard. That is what people would get behind and support, a level playing field.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen you really don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

The expert on Hartmann said I forget the dates but it wasn't that far off maybe within 10 years we need to outlaw coal and fossil fuels need to be zero sum when it comes tom emissions. So how do we do that without sitting in the dark and not heating out homes? The left is opposed to Nuke energy.

As for fossil fuels basically give up our cars and all use public transportation? Like that would ever work in the USA. I will give the man [ I wish I could remember his name] credit for being non-partisan as he said the Dems were just like the GOP on the issue.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are you claiming climate treaties which declare China an emerging economy to be fir to the USA?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Are you claiming climate treaties which declare China an emerging economy to be fir to the USA?

China is a country that is changing it's ways. They are the ones at the forefront of wind energy, for instance, because Bush shut down our wind energy research.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

The expert on Hartmann said I forget the dates but it wasn't that far off maybe within 10 years we need to outlaw coal and fossil fuels need to be zero sum when it comes tom emissions. So how do we do that without sitting in the dark and not heating out homes? The left is opposed to Nuke energy.

As for fossil fuels basically give up our cars and all use public transportation? Like that would ever work in the USA. I will give the man [ I wish I could remember his name] credit for being non-partisan as he said the Dems were just like the GOP on the issue.

Trump said it's real, but we need to pollute as much as we can because we can't change it anyway.

Tell your grandson there's just nothing to be done, you don't give a shit for his future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump said it's real, but we need to pollute as much as we can because we can't change it anyway.

Tell your grandson there's just nothing to be done, you don't give a shit for his future.

We have cut the level which we pollute in the last 25 years by an amount which at the time seemed impossible. No matter what we do or how much we cut it will never be enough for the left. We now have light bulbs that don't put out enough light to read by and toilets you have to flush twice. Class 8 trucks are close to being pollution free as well as our cars. But, we need to ban coal and sit in the dark not heat our homes and blame the GOP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

The left is opposed to Nuke energy.

I am fully in support of nuclear fusion.

Just do not put Doc Ock in charge of the research program.

There is some innovation in nuclear fission that would a) reduce the radioactive waste output, hopefully close to zero and b) result in safer reactor designs. I support those two things moving forward.

Until we have an actual national waste repository or some other solution to that problem, no, I do not want more fission plants. That's true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am fully in support of nuclear fusion.

Just do not put Doc Ock in charge of the research program.

There is some innovation in nuclear fission that would a) reduce the radioactive waste output, hopefully close to zero and b) result in safer reactor designs. I support those two things moving forward.

Until we have an actual national waste repository or some other solution to that problem, no, I do not want more fission plants. That's true.

There is the correct answer. If we want to shut down coal we need to go with nuke power. Once we go with Nuke Power we will have the time needed to figure out the next step. Which would be to replace the nuke plants with something better.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

BBC take

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

CNBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/un-warn ... rming.html

USA Today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 562253002/

The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -un-report

NPR

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/08/65536090 ... ate-change

WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 13830b629b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

We have cut the level which we pollute in the last 25 years by an amount which at the time seemed impossible. No matter what we do or how much we cut it will never be enough for the left. We now have light bulbs that don't put out enough light to read by and toilets you have to flush twice. Class 8 trucks are close to being pollution free as well as our cars. But, we need to ban coal and sit in the dark not heat our homes and blame the GOP.

That's because we passed laws the Republicans fought tooth and nail. Now you want to pollute MORE! More coal! Take out the mileage laws the auto companies WANT! Why do you love pollution so much?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's because we passed laws the Republicans fought tooth and nail. Now you want to pollute MORE! More coal! Take out the mileage laws the auto companies WANT! Why do you love pollution so much?

Says the man who drives a full size Ford SUV. [ hybrid] Why don't you drive an electric vehicle or one that gets close to 40MPG?

Nobody loves to pollute but, I find that progressives pass dumb ass laws. For example there is more than one state where it is against the law to idle my truck. Even if it is 100 degrees or 10 below, it is illegal. When I was hauling cars I had some cop in the NY City area actually stake out my truck for idling. When they learned I was running the engine to power the hydraulics they left me alone.

Global cooling no make that warming no make that climate change people seem to lack common sense in their proposals. That and the fact we have been hearing since 1972 we only have 10 years left makes many people skeptic of their time table.

Now off to bed I have to drive at 4:15 am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Says the man who drives a full size Ford SUV. [ hybrid] Why don't you drive an electric vehicle or one that gets close to 40MPG?

Nobody loves to pollute but, I find that progressives pass dumb ass laws. For example there is more than one state where it is against the law to idle my truck. Even if it is 100 degrees or 10 below, it is illegal. When I was hauling cars I had some cop in the NY City area actually stake out my truck for idling. When they learned I was running the engine to power the hydraulics they left me alone.

Global cooling no make that warming no make that climate change people seem to lack common sense in their proposals. That and the fact we have been hearing since 1972 we only have 10 years left makes many people skeptic of their time table.

Now off to bed I have to drive at 4:15 am.

My next new vehicle will be a hybrid or electric. I have what I have because they didn't have a vehicle at the time to do what I needed. But my vehicle was the greenest I could find.

And you guys DO love to pollute. That's why Rush runs down electric cars. You don't WANT them. You HATE them. You like the diesel pickups that puts out stacks of black smoke.

And you want to pretend climate change isn't real. You guys hate science, too, and think it's all a lie.

Not surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

The goals can be accomplished, but it takes the will to do it.

It takes people having to make sacrifices.

Of course, very little want to do that (I also push back) if it impacts material well-being.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

The goals can be accomplished, but it takes the will to do it.

It takes people having to make sacrifices.

Of course, very little want to do that (I also push back) if it impacts material well-being.

It will make no difference if the USA is 100% green while countries like China and many others continue to pollute at high levels. Which is why there needs to be one standard for the entire world and not one that the USA meets in 10 years while countries like China get 40.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 pm 
Policy Wonk

China is doing a much better job of trying to reduce pollution than the USA.

It's still a damned poor excuse to not do your part cuz someone else isn't doing theirs.

Do you slack off if another one in the company isn't doing their job?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

My next new vehicle will be a hybrid or electric. I have what I have because they didn't have a vehicle at the time to do what I needed. But my vehicle was the greenest I could find.

And you guys DO love to pollute. That's why Rush runs down electric cars. You don't WANT them. You HATE them. You like the diesel pickups that puts out stacks of black smoke.

And you want to pretend climate change isn't real. You guys hate science, too, and think it's all a lie.

Not surprised.

Same. Although I'm not looking forward to another huge car payment. Electric for sure. We'll see what Ford or GM has to offer in the next few years when our car dies. Telsa is too pricey.

Although I gotta say, I'm loving that VW electric van that's coming out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

China is doing a much better job of trying to reduce pollution than the USA.

It's still a damned poor excuse to not do your part cuz someone else isn't doing theirs.

Do you slack off if another one in the company isn't doing their job?

Going under the assumption global warming is real what difference will it make if countries like China continue to pollute while we wreck our economy being green. At the end of the day won't we be just as dead. But, as we burn up we can hold our heads up high and claim we told you so?

If global warming and the effects are real then we need one standard for the world and a date set in stone for every country to meet that standard. As for China they can cut their polluting a ton and still be far behind the USA.

Progressives should be demanding nuke power plants to replace coal. Then work on replacments for Nuke Power. People like RFK Jr should not be nimby when it comes to wind power he can see from his families mansions.

People should not be wanting to cripple the USA's economy by having one standard for us and a different standard for others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 pm 
Policy Wonk

Under the assumption it is real?

No assumption. It is real.

The US doing something can certainly slow the rates of our demise, regardless of what China does.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Switching over to green energy will not cripple the economy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Going under the assumption global warming is real what difference will it make if countries like China continue to pollute while we wreck our economy being green. At the end of the day won't we be just as dead. But, as we burn up we can hold our heads up high and claim we told you so?

If global warming and the effects are real then we need one standard for the world and a date set in stone for every country to meet that standard. As for China they can cut their polluting a ton and still be far behind the USA.

Progressives should be demanding nuke power plants to replace coal. Then work on replacments for Nuke Power. People like RFK Jr should not be nimby when it comes to wind power he can see from his families mansions.

People should not be wanting to cripple the USA's economy by having one standard for us and a different standard for others.

Use your reasoning center. The economy wouldn’t be wrecked because you have no clue what the economy is.

As for nukes, you are even more simplistic than I thought. Where you going to dispose of the waste?

DO SOME GODDAMN RESEARCH BEFORE YOU TOUCH A FUCKING KEYBOARD AGAIN.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

The report as reported to me, I haven't read it yet, seems to support a conclusion I have come to. That is that while what we're attempting to do through conservation and switching to green energy, et cetera will not be enough.

Our world population grows as fast as we can conserve and over time that population growth will absorb all of the good measure we're doing to lower the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere. We're running in place.

We've got to keep doing what we're doing now, and keep that expansion going. That's working at it from one side of the problem. Now we need to work at it from the other end as well.

We need to take the bull by the horns and stuff him into a bottle.

We didn't have the bottle until just recently. Now we have proven technology which shows we can create the bottle and slurry that CO2 into a liquid state so that it can be pumped in, will fit, and stay there. We can stuff that CO2 where the oil had been which contributed to this mess.

Now we need to capture that CO2 and stuff it in there. I need to do some math to figure out how big a machine it will require to terraform the earths atmosphere. To absorb and remove that excess CO2.

I need to calculate how much air there is, 14.7 times the surface area of the earth in square inches. Yes, square inches, I'll have to calculate that from how many square kilometers there are. That will estimate how many pounds of atmosphere there is to be pushed drawn through a fan, pushed across an absorbent bed, then exhausted back into the atmosphere.

With the bottle which was the last element to overcome we now have every element of technology we need to put this together. It's a big project but I'm afraid we're going to have to tackle it.

At minimum three times through the ought to do it. So I need that weight of the atmosphere number to begin. The chemicals needed to make the absorbent bed are readily available in Nevada, so we ought to do it there. I need to look up the elevation of Nevada and calculate the air density at that elevation. With that number and the weight of the atmosphere I can size the fan we need. To begin with I'll size it for the atmosphere to go though the machine three a over thirty year period. That ought to do it.

That will give me some idea how big that machine needs to be. It's going to be a big sucker, maybe as big as Pikes Peak.

Once I have the fan sized then I can move onto sizing the ductwork. I wonder if the trunk duct stubbing off of the fan will need to be a mile square in cross section or larger.

I ought to envision a lot of smaller units instead of just one big one for the project . But it will be a good idea to calculate how big it needs to be if it were just one machine to give me perspective to the project we're going to have to tackle.

I like Howden fans, my experience with them is that they're long lasting very efficient reliable workhorses. I've never had to fix one. Grease them once a month and they go. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Same. Although I'm not looking forward to another huge car payment. Electric for sure. We'll see what Ford or GM has to offer in the next few years when our car dies. Telsa is too pricey.

Although I gotta say, I'm loving that VW electric van that's coming out.

Volvo was bought by Geeley of China. Word is that in the near future the whole Volvo line will be electrics. The first will be an electric XC40 SUV, supposedly on the market by the middle of next year. With several more models to follow.

Early reports suggest range and performance designed to compete with the Tesla Model X.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Volvo was bought by Geeley of China. Word is that in the near future the whole Volvo line will be electrics. The first will be an electric XC40 SUV, supposedly on the market by the middle of next year. With several more models to follow.

Early reports suggest range and performance designed to compete with the Tesla Model X.

You peaked my interest.

The last knock on their SUV's was they handled like shite. I drove one, they did.

If they fix that and I can get a plug in hybrid this size looking like that for under $40K, might have to