Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: We Have Until 2030
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 am 
Board Emeritus

I can only suggest that if you want a 4 wheel drive car that handles like an Audi A4, that you buy an Audi A4.

What's most interesting to me when looking at best/worst handling SUV lists from various automotive websites is how many SUV's appear on both lists. As my old uncle Max used to say...opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one. The most ridiculous piece of shit vehicle I ever owned was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. And they're still on all sorts of "best SUV" lists.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am 
Board Emeritus

You peaked my interest.

The last knock on their SUV's was they handled like shite. I drove one, they did.

If they fix that and I can get a plug in hybrid this size looking like that for under $40K, might have to

Maybe Porsche SUVs handle. Probably not, though. Most of the SUVs I've seen are agile mostly in the roll axis. Given even the slightest lateral Gs, they rapidly invert. Only in America would a vehicle type derived from off-road military and back country use become everyone's favorite way to pootle around town.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

"bu bu bu, but what about the economy?!"

That won't matter if something doesn't change. A weakened economy over 10 years is better than oblivion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 am 
Board Emeritus

Maybe Porsche SUVs handle. Probably not, though. Most of the SUVs I've seen are agile mostly in the roll axis. Given even the slightest lateral Gs, they rapidly invert. Only in America would a vehicle type derived from off-road military and back country use become everyone's favorite way to pootle around town.

The most popular models these days are all built on sedan frames. The "body on frame" models still in production are big rolling buckets of bolts like the Suburban and the Expedition. I remember back when the big Ford Excursion was announced, they didn't have a name for the model yet and Consumer Reports ran a contest where readers could submit their suggestions. The winner...

FORD VALDEZ (It's an environmental disaster).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am 
Board Emeritus

SUVs, for the most part, are not as rugged as their ads make them out to be. The lower-end ones aimed at consumers are indeed on sedan frames, and they really aren't all that well designed. Unlike real off-road vehicles, they're designed to a price, not a spec. Mfrs make a good profit on them, which is why they're so heavily advertised. And of course families can't get enough of them. Makes them feel secure to have the little woman schlepping stuff around in a tank, not to mention easy loading of all the shit kids carry around.

In other words, a station wagon without the older negative associations of large carrier vehicles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 am 
Board Emeritus

SUVs, for the most part, are not as rugged as their ads make them out to be. The lower-end ones aimed at consumers are indeed on sedan frames, and they really aren't all that well designed. Unlike real off-road vehicles, they're designed to a price, not a spec. Mfrs make a good profit on them, which is why they're so heavily advertised. And of course families can't get enough of them. Makes them feel secure to have the little woman schlepping stuff around in a tank, not to mention easy loading of all the shit kids carry around.

In other words, a station wagon without the older negative associations of large carrier vehicles.

I grew up driving trucks. My first was a 64 Chevy manual transmission. You know three speed on the column. I didn’t have an automatic transmission until I was in my 30’s. The only reason I bought an automatic was because the didn’t offer manual transmissions on the SUV’s because suburban men and women didn’t know or want to learn how to drive them. It always puzzled me why people insisted on buying 4WD all terrain vehicles to drive in the city. Most of them never get off the highway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I can't get much greener transportation wise, I ride the bus. No more driving for me. For grocery shopping it's car pooling with a friend, I give her gas money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm 
Policy Wonk

The vast majority of people who buy an SUV never take it offroad anyway.