In the words that it was forming
And the sign said "The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence"

How Fascism Works

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/11 ... stanley_on

Quote:
In his new book “How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them,” Yale professor Jason Stanley warns about the dangers of normalizing fascist politics, writing, “What normalization does is transform the morally extraordinary into the ordinary. It makes us able to tolerate what was once intolerable by making it seem as if this is the way things have always been.” We speak with Jason Stanley in New York.

The reason the center cannot hold is there is no center there.

Politics are sharply divided. Which side is winning? Well, at the moment, there is no question about it. The right is winning and it's going global.

So, past strategies haven't worked. The strategy that we should allow ourselves to join the sides together to make a middle hasn't worked because the right has to give up their advantages to share in that effort, which they will never do.

It is commonsense, and they are not stupid enough to fall for that trick.

Therefore, future strategies will have to include going back to the left where we belong. Liberal's bad name has to be reformed, really because there is no wiggle room.

It was a fool's mission living in the shadow of the mind.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/109 ... annot_Hold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

That line is originally from a poem by W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming," written in 1919.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

[snip][end]

Yeats is referring to post-WW I Europe, and also the Irish Easter Rising, drawing upon Christian apocalyptic imagery.

The lines I've bolded are frequently cited as the dilemma of modern politics.

Yeats was hard to define politically. He supported Irish nationalism, but by the 30s ... was taking a weird turn. (Don't get me going on Ezra Pound.)

[from Wiki]
In the 1930s Yeats was fascinated with the authoritarian, anti-democratic, nationalist movements of Europe, and he composed several marching songs for the far right Blueshirts, although they were never used. He was a fierce opponent of individualism and political liberalism, and saw the fascist movements as a triumph of public order and the needs of the national collective over petty individualism. On the other hand, he was also an elitist who abhorred the idea of mob-rule, and saw democracy as a threat to good governance and public order.[56] After the Blueshirt movement began to falter in Ireland, he distanced himself somewhat from his previous views, but maintained a preference for authoritarian and nationalist leadership.

So: not a good political role model for antifascism.

As to your point about not normalizing fascism, well, I did tell a certain Timmeh to stop normalizing the fascist tactics of Trump. I absolutely agree.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nice interview with Prof. Stanley at Vox as well as Democracy Now.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/19/17847110/ ... on-stanley

Sean Illing
This is probably a good time to pivot to the glittering elephant in the room: Donald Trump. Is he a fascist?

Jason Stanley
I make the case in my book that he practices fascist politics. Now, that doesn’t mean his government is a fascist government. For one thing, I think it’s very difficult to say what a fascist government is.

For another thing, I think the current movement of leaders who use these techniques (Vladimir Putin in Russia, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in Turkey, Viktor Orbán in Hungary, to name a few) all seek to keep the trappings of democratic institutions, but their goal is to reorient them around their own cult of personality.

Again, I wouldn’t claim — not yet, at least — that Trump is presiding over a fascist government, but he is very clearly using fascist techniques to excite his base and erode liberal democratic institutions, and that’s very troubling.

But the blame there is as much on the Republican Party as it is on Trump, because none of this would matter if they were willing to check Trump. So far, they’ve chosen loyalty to Trump over loyalty to rule of law.

[snip][end]

I agree with all these points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump is straight out of the Mussolini fascist playbook as pointed out by Madeleine Albright in her Fascism: A Warning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:33 am 
Policy Wonk

"The center cannot hold" is reference to a battle field. It is often used for a number of things. Here, I am alluding to a couple of things; the battle between the left and the right side of politics, and the lost of identity of the two sides.

All issues are clearly divided left and right. Some ideals of the left are chipped away for some misguide idea like "gun control" can be spared to enchant the right to switch party loyalty. Maybe the reason it was considered necessary was because two parties can't encompass every issues. That is unfortunate, but it is an identity crisis for the Democrats and a major problem focusing on major issues, like climate change. Piecing together a coalition has failed dismally.

As far as our country not yet fascist, that thinking is arguable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Board Emeritus

How Fascism Works

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/10/11 ... stanley_on

Politics are sharply divided. Which side is winning? Well, at the moment, there is no question about it. The right is winning and it's going global.

So, past strategies haven't worked. The strategy that we should allow ourselves to join the sides together to make a middle hasn't worked because the right has to give up their advantages to share in that effort, which they will never do.

It is commonsense, and they are not stupid enough to fall for that trick.

Therefore, future strategies will have to include going back to the left where we belong. Liberal's bad name has to be reformed, really because there is no wiggle room.

It was a fool's mission living in the shadow of the mind.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/109 ... annot_Hold

Can you name even one issue you are willing to meet in the middle on? Everytime a dem takes a moderate position they get branded a DINO. Everytime a Republican takes a moderate position they get branded a RINO.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:29 am 
Board Emeritus

Can you name even one issue you are willing to meet in the middle on? Everytime a dem takes a moderate position they get branded a DINO. Everytime a Republican takes a moderate position they get branded a RINO.

can you name even one issue?

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am 
Board Emeritus

All issues are clearly divided left and right. Some ideals of the left are chipped away for some misguide idea like "gun control" can be spared to enchant the right to switch party loyalty.

I'm sorry ... I'm not sure I understood that sentence. I don't know if you meant to claim that gun control is a misguided idea for the Left. I happen not to think so. I believe it flows naturally from our concern for public health.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, since the 70s, many political scientists have argued that the idea of political ideology as a left-right line with a center should be replaced with a Cartesian plane, as this better encompasses libertarians and communitarians. The two axes are defined by social freedom vs. regulation and economic freedom vs. regulation.

"Liberals," at least in the U.S., tend to favor greater social freedom, but also more economic regulation. (As I've said many times, you might notice things are different in Europe where Liberal parties might be what we would call in the U.S. libertarian.) Conservatives the opposite.

This is called the Nolan Chart, after Christopher Nolan, who formulated it in the 70s ... of course, btw, he was a libertarian.

The one quibble I have with this chart is the opposite of a libertarian is a communitarian ... authoritarians are at the extreme end of that corner. Libertarians emphasize individual freedom and liberty, communitarians collective and social obligations and responsibility. But not all communitarians are authoritarians, even if libertarians think so.

We could also quibble over differentiating between left and right libertarians ... depends on their attitude toward capitalism.

I always ask people if they know where the terms "left" and "right wing" originated from. The answer, BTW, is in the French National Assembly shortly before the French Revolution, where Jacobins and Sans-Culottes sat to the left of the king, and those who were pro-aristocracy and pro-ancien regime and pro-monarchy sat to the right of the king. Later on, there would be Left and Right Hegelians, differentiated between having idealist and materialist interpretations of Hegel, but this is where they took their name from. You may know of the most famous of the Left Hegelians, Karl Marx.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am 
Board Emeritus

You're telling me I don't exist. :(

Stanley warned about the dangers of normalizing fascist politics. If this is the way NOT normalizing fascist politics is done then I recommend rethinking it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 am 
Board Emeritus

In the Nolan Chart, people in the center may often in fact be on one of the edges of the four corners. :D

It's a big region. Very few people are at the center of the center. :D

Research shows this is true of many centrists and independents in our country ... they are "leaners".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:20 am 
Board Emeritus

1. It is true that a Cartesian model works a lot better than the 1-dimensional line used by the US. I've also seen that one with "centralized" at the top and "decentralized" at the bottom. For me, that works a lot better. You get a 4-quadrant model, and you don't enshrine "libertarianism" at the top as if it is the superior system. Left and right are still traditional, from the French National Assembly, as the professor so accurately notes.

1a. In this way, you can avoid the monolithic idea of "libertarian," since in the real world it really does divide into left-libertarian and right-libertarian. It also allows for left authoritarians, of whom there are many, especially in the old left which still has some Stalinists. In the anti-war movement, it was weird coalescing with people who would likely want you in a labor camp. However, it was effective. Once you're over the old models, such alliances become thinkable.

1b. Populists are a bit harder to classify, since they can range all the way from anarchists to fascists. I suspect we've seen that in all four quadrants.

2. Indeed, the middle is more like apolitical than anything, and it'll always be an imaginary majority. A real world situation lets people move around on the plot. It's a scattergun, not a rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:27 am 
Board Emeritus

In the Nolan Chart, people in the center may often in fact be on one of the edges of the four corners. :D

It's a big region. Very few people are at the center of the center. :D

Research shows this is true of many centrists and independents in our country ... they are "leaners".

I grew up real close to Four Corners. I could drive there and plant my foot on the brass survey marker and be standing on four states at once. :)

It was even more fun to run circles around it. :D

A funny thing is I learned how to sand cast silver there. People were there, interesting things can be learned from people wherever you may find them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 am 
Board Emeritus

1. It is true that a Cartesian model works a lot better than the 1-dimensional line used by the US. I've also seen that one with "centralized" at the top and "decentralized" at the bottom. For me, that works a lot better. You get a 4-quadrant model, and you don't enshrine "libertarianism" at the top as if it is the superior system. Left and right are still traditional, from the French National Assembly, as the professor so accurately notes.

1a. In this way, you can avoid the monolithic idea of "libertarian," since in the real world it really does divide into left-libertarian and right-libertarian. It also allows for left authoritarians, of whom there are many, especially in the old left which still has some Stalinists. In the anti-war movement, it was weird coalescing with people who would likely want you in a labor camp. However, it was effective. Once you're over the old models, such alliances become thinkable.

1b. Populists are a bit harder to classify, since they can range all the way from anarchists to fascists. I suspect we've seen that in all four quadrants.

2. Indeed, the middle is more like apolitical than anything, and it'll always be an imaginary majority. A real world situation lets people move around on the plot. It's a scattergun, not a rifle.

Agreed. It is similar to the concept of groups. People can and do belong to various groups depending upon the social situation. They can also change groups and move from group to group when said groups appear opposed to each other. Patriotism is one of the best examples of using groups for political purposes.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Policy Wonk

+1
Good counter

As it is plain to see, I want the Democrats to get out of the Republican party. No, I don't agree with any Republican issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

1a. In this way, you can avoid the monolithic idea of "libertarian," since in the real world it really does divide into left-libertarian and right-libertarian.

Well, yes, I of course agree. The problem is, though, the Libertarian Party in the U.S. is dominated only by Right-Libertarians who are pro-capitalism and pro-Ayn Rand, like the Kochs and Ron & Rand Paul. The other variety of libertarianism (anti-capitalist/leftist) is not an organized political force in the U.S. It's why so few are aware it exists.

Of course, it may be a good thing that Party's nominees, like Gary Johnson, aren't getting over 3% of the vote, either.

Quote:
It also allows for left authoritarians,

Seems obvious to me Nicholas Maduro is one.

What they're doing in NK is all over the map, "Juche" seems like Maoism mixed into a gumbo with cult of personality.

Quote:

Think I've been saying since 2016 that "populism" has at least two varieties, and that Trump's anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-liberal "right populism" is very different from Sanders' anti-economic elite "left populism".... so different it really is kinda foolish to say they are both "populists" and leave it at that.

Quote:

The fluid mobility of ideology is something political scientists have trouble analyzing, describing, and categorizing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am solidly on the left on Healthcare and have commented on how to make "free college" actually work. By giving Gov't loans to students at 1% above prime. Making the SS administration in charge, paying back through payroll deduction and allowing the borrower up to 40 years to pay. [ if they choose]

Now how about you?

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am solidly on the left on Healthcare and have commented on how to make "free college" actually work. By giving Gov't loans to students at 1% above prime. Making the SS administration in charge, paying back through payroll deduction and allowing the borrower up to 40 years to pay. [ if they choose]

Now how about you?

Congratulations. Your party wants nothing to do with either. Yet you claim the left is intractable. As for loans, where will the money come from?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am 
Board Emeritus

The professor stated, with considerable validity:
Quote:
Think I've been saying since 2016 that "populism" has at least two varieties, and that Trump's anti-immigrant, anti-intellectual, anti-liberal "right populism" is very different from Sanders' anti-economic elite "left populism".... so different it really is kinda foolish to say they are both "populists" and leave it at that.

Yes, that's a big change in my thinking that I made maybe a few months earlier. The observed situation definitely supports left-populism and right-populism, without needing to stretch one classification to somehow accommodate the Seattle WTO anarchists and the white power types in one definition.

All the Libertarian Party members that I know anything about in L.A. are entertainment industry grunts with "assistant" somewhere in their union job title. Mostly, they want to get rid of taxes and keep all their money for themselves, while legally strutting around carrying guns.

They've all been taking John Milius pills. Those are a combination of strong male hormones and Ayn Rand snake oil. It's a rather quaint political analysis peculiar to The Industry. It explains why most screenplays are the way they are. There's a strong Das Held resonance by way of Travis Bickle. Fortunately, they have even less political power than the left.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, I often like to note that left populism results from actual real inequalities of wealth and power, whereas right populism appears to result from misperceptions of people having some kind of elite power over your life (when in actuality they don't) - like intellectuals, foreigners, immigrants, "globalists" (i.e. people who recognize we all share the same planet), "cosmopolitans," and it seems anywhere and everywhere, Da Joos.

Right populism exploits peoples' fear and anger toward things that actually are not impacting their lives, though certain manipulators want them to think so. It is always rooted in xenophobia, nativism, and anti-intellectualism. "Those smart, aware, city slicker people don't share my values!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, that's a big change in my thinking that I made maybe a few months earlier. The observed situation definitely supports left-populism and right-populism, without needing to stretch one classification to somehow accommodate the Seattle WTO anarchists and the white power types in one definition.

All the Libertarian Party members that I know anything about in L.A. are entertainment industry grunts with "assistant" somewhere in their union job title. Mostly, they want to get rid of taxes and keep all their money for themselves, while legally strutting around carrying guns.

They've all been taking John Milius pills. Those are a combination of strong male hormones and Ayn Rand snake oil. It's a rather quaint political analysis peculiar to The Industry. It explains why most screenplays are the way they are. There's a strong Das Held resonance by way of Travis Bickle. Fortunately, they have even less political power than the left.

I would say that the populist form springs from some climactic/catastrophic event. Generally it has been economic-political in nature. The drive of the Grange movement and populist movements were both obviously. The splitting came, imo, with the rise of the fascia in Italy first followed by Germany combined anti-capitalist sentiment (likely the basis of Dinesh D’Souza’s claim that fascism is left phenomenon) with racial/nationalistic sentiment. The left at the time was certainly anti-capital but conservatives made common cause with the fascists against the left out of fear of socialism.

I guess to me populism is an ism that is extremely short lived, doesn’t have much of a half-life. It morphs easily depending upon the direction from which it emerged. Thus left populism will trend socialist although not arbitrarily owning the means of production and right populist will trend fascist although not arbitrarily toward gotterdammerung with destruction of whole groups.

I hope that there is an actual analysis done of the Rise of Trump and Trumpism someday. Trump deliberately and openly tapped into racial hatred as well as misogyny and class warfare. The interesting thing about the class warfare is that it is the reversal of traditional class warfare. The meme is that things are rigged against the poor white man by government as opposed to government being rigged by capital against the worker of whatever color.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am 
Board Emeritus

God-Hero. Lovely. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Of course it seems the mythology is looking a little threadbare of late.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

Libertarian....
What's the point.

We know, easily, which is left or right. It is easy to tell. How can you confuse left and right?

We know what is left and right.
Anarchist on left and right.
Populist on left and right.

I listened to a Libertarian on the radio. A nice, polite gentleman. I knew right away he wasn't different than a Republican, even though he claim constantly that he wasn't a Republican. Thom Hartmann has said that a Libertarian was a conservative that wanted to smoke pot.. (or was it smoked too much pot).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW, I often like to note that left populism results from actual real inequalities of wealth and power, whereas right populism appears to result from misperceptions of people having some kind of elite power over your life (when in actuality they don't) - like intellectuals, foreigners, immigrants, "globalists" (i.e. people who recognize we all share the same planet), "cosmopolitans," and it seems anywhere and everywhere, Da Joos.

Right populism exploits peoples' fear and anger toward things that actually are not impacting their lives, though certain manipulators want them to think so. It is always rooted in xenophobia, nativism, and anti-intellectualism. "Those smart, aware, city slicker people don't share my values!"

I don't regard populism as an ideology. It's a unique situation when a charismatic person develops a cult like following amoung a large sector of the population promising to fight for them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 am 
Board Emeritus

For a brief while, Sam, in the U.S., they were a third political party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27 ... ted_States)

The People's Party (also known as the Populist Party or the Populists) was an agrarian-populist political party in the United States. For a few years, from 1892 to 1896, it played a major role as a left-wing force in American politics. It was merged into the Democratic Party in 1896; a small independent remnant survived until 1908. It drew support from angry farmers in the West and South. It was highly critical of banks and railroads, and allied itself with the labor movement.[1][2]

Established in 1891, as a result of the Populist movement, the People's Party reached its peak in the 1892 presidential election, when its ticket, composed of James B. Weaver and James G. Field, won 8.5% of the popular vote and carried five states (Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Nevada and North Dakota), and the 1894 House of Representatives elections, when it took over 10% of the vote. Built on a coalition of poor, white cotton farmers in the South (especially North Carolina, Alabama and Texas) and hard-pressed wheat farmers in the Plains states (especially Kansas and Nebraska), the Populists represented a radical opposition to banks, landowners, local and Eastern elites, railroads, and the gold standard.[3] The party sometimes allied with labor unions in the North and Republicans in the South.

In the 1896 presidential elections the Populists endorsed the Democratic presidential nominee, William Jennings Bryan, adding their own vice presidential nominee. By joining with the Democrats, the People's Party lost its independent identity and rapidly withered away.

Later, after the dissolution of the party, the term populist acquired a generic meaning and throughout most of the 20th century and into the 21st, the term means, "a believer in the rights, wisdom, or virtues of the common people.

[snip][end]

BTW, if you think the masses of ordinary common people are stupid and without wisdom, you are not a populist. :D

Let's be honest - liberals hate to be called elitists, but what else are we when we say ordinary common people are too stupid to self-govern? We need to own it if we are it - no?

I do agree many populist politicians and leaders show themselves to be dangerous demagogues: before Trump, there was Huey "Kingfisher" Long. Also, I think, elsewhere in Argentina, Juan Peron.

Long is a great example of somebody who echoed some left wing themes ("Share Our Strength") but quickly evolved into fascism.

I think you know my view on this, Sam. I don't think ordinary common people are stupid. However, they may need to be educated. They may need to be shown the way. No, I'm not talking about Marxist revolutionary vanguard theory. I mean, more like, providing good examples, showing a path beyond scapegoating, appealing to their better angels. Discussing some theory and some history and some strategy - public intellectuals should do that.

Some do.

Marx was right about one thing. Billionaires and ordinary people will have opposing interests. They will want different things when it comes to taxes, regulations, social programs and services. That is kind of inevitable. What they support politically will be opposed. No conspiracy; just social analysis. And it's just a fact - the non-billionaires outnumber them, and this is supposedly a democracy.

I point this out, as Sheldon Adelson is currently pouring millions of dollars into GOP coffers in a last ditch effort for the midterm elections.