Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Some we valorize, like CostCo.

Some we shop at even if they're not exactly virtuous, like Amazon-Whole Foods, but at least they're organic. :D

Dunno. Seems weird, if liberals hate corporations, why they still shop at them. (OK, I have met people who are so determined about this they will not patronize anything but the 1 or two Mom N Pop's still left in existence, but they are very rare.)

Usually, we pick out the bad ones from the good ones. Even invest in the good ones. Aren't there still these CREDO funds that only invest in socially responsible corporations?

Figure we can do the same thing in politics.

Oh and BTW, Ben and Jerry's had an ice cream truck on campus today, giving out free ice cream to every student who voted. Again, they seem to me to be the good guys.

Back when I had my icecream stand 1976-1980 I had lower prices, larger servings and better quality than DQ. Yet I would watch people drive by my stand and head for the DQ across the bridge. I have never understood why then or now. I guess it has to do with advertising and branding and just then way people think.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

He's been dead long enough I can be openly critical, but I agree with you. I see no point.

BTW, guess who's still on RT? Larry King.

Motherfucker will be doing shows from beyond the grave, soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

He's been dead long enough I can be openly critical, but I agree with you. I see no point.

BTW, guess who's still on RT? Larry King.

Motherfucker will be doing shows from beyond the grave, soon.

Is kIng just tone deaf and so dumb about politics '

must be

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think what I want is not having them dominate or have an unfairly outsized influence on our politics because of their wealth ... we achieve that through campaign finance reform. Not banning all corporate donations.

THIS. The problem IS domination and overt influence on legislation. The Affordable Care Act was written mostly by insurance and pharmaceutical industries via lawyers and lobbyists. Hence, industries promise cash payouts to politicians that pass the legislation they want. We, the common citizens, can't afford to do that. The majority of people want universal health care but the people don't have influence because the people don't have millions of dollars to give to the legislature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't care what they believe politically. I'm just buying ice cream. Cherry Garcia. If they are giving it away for voting, then that's a plus for those students. Some things never change - College students always turn out for food. And beer. Either will do.

That's my favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

RitaAnn wrote:

THIS. The problem IS domination and overt influence on legislation. The Affordable Care Act was written mostly by insurance and pharmaceutical industries via lawyers and lobbyists. Hence, industries promise cash payouts to politicians that pass the legislation they want. We, the common citizens, can't afford to do that. The majority of people want universal health care but the people don't have influence because the people don't have millions of dollars to give to the legislature.

yea and its the process that is the problem, like getting someone addicted to heroine and slowly methodically taking over dominating their agenda. so even donors like Ben and Jerrys whos motives may align are still engaging in a process that leaves the candidate needing that high and vulnerable when access to that high is cut off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Some we valorize, like CostCo.

Some we shop at even if they're not exactly virtuous, like Amazon-Whole Foods, but at least they're organic. :D

Dunno. Seems weird, if liberals hate corporations, why they still shop at them. (OK, I have met people who are so determined about this they will not patronize anything but the 1 or two Mom N Pop's still left in existence, but they are very rare.)

Usually, we pick out the bad ones from the good ones. Even invest in the good ones. Aren't there still these CREDO funds that only invest in socially responsible corporations?

Figure we can do the same thing in politics.

Oh and BTW, Ben and Jerry's had an ice cream truck on campus today, giving out free ice cream to every student who voted. Again, they seem to me to be the good guys.

Hate all corporations? Not at all. I don't valorize any corporation. I approve of some human beings' decisions made as to their corporate policy. I do not valorize a legal construct. That is the basic problem that I have. I valorize the concept of collective bargaining to level the playing field in negotiations between worker human beings and management human beings. I do not valorize unions themselves per se because like any human construct they can be used for good or ill.

If we cannot separate out the fact that humans make decisions then we have lost the argument already. The SCOTUS already threw in their towel. They are completely and utterly beyond help when it comes to anything to do with corporations.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hate all corporations? Not at all. I don't valorize any corporation. I approve of some human beings' decisions made as to their corporate policy. I do not valorize a legal construct. That is the basic problem that I have. I valorize the concept of collective bargaining to level the playing field in negotiations between worker human beings and management human beings. I do not valorize unions themselves per se because like any human construct they can be used for good or ill.

If we cannot separate out the fact that humans make decisions then we have lost the argument already. The SCOTUS already threw in their towel. They are completely and utterly beyond help when it comes to anything to do with corporations.

Wow, nicely said

Stop calling the cops on us.