The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:59 pm You guys derail threads all the time when no one posts in lockstep with your conservative comfort levels. This thread OTOH was never derailed, as you complained.

White conservative cowardly males unable to control and direct the conversation according to your narrow, myopic worldview…. :problem:
Posters do this all the time to my threads, too. We can remember how Sam went nuts over the thread I started about right-wing snowflakes on the pre-kablooey board, and started just flat-out spamming it (I'm sure Sam will now post a picture of a can of Spam, and he'll think he's clever and funny). But since I'm as guilty as anyone else about derailing threads - but not with stupid pictures, with serious points - I don't bitch when someone does it to my thread, and the conversation goes off-topic.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:58 pm
Disturbing New Footage Shows Minneapolis Cops Saying They're 'Hunting Activists' - Huffington Post

The newly released clips reveal officers making racist remarks and celebrating as they shoot rubber bullets at protesters.

Damning new body-camera footage from a night of Minneapolis protests over George Floyd’s murder reveals officers joking about “hunting activists” and making other disturbing and racist remarks as they responded to unrest across the city.

The footage was released to the media this week by an attorney for Jaleel Stallings, who was shot at with rubber bullets and beaten on the ground for about 30 seconds by Minneapolis police at a May 2020 protest shortly after police killed George Floyd. The videotaped death of the Black father on May 25, 2020, set off nationwide protests and an ongoing call for racial reckoning.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:58 pm No one cares, Sam.
GoUnion, this thread is about Minneapolis, which is in Minnesota. And in Minnesota everyone in the state cares about used cars and trucks. it's the state passion.

If you ever visit Minnesota and find yourself without something to say about any topic all you have to do is mention a car or truck you used to own. As soon as you do that you will be included in the subsequent conversation. You will be welcomed by all and fit right in.

:D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:04 pm Posters do this all the time to my threads, too. We can remember how Sam went nuts over the thread I started about right-wing snowflakes on the pre-kablooey board, and started just flat-out spamming it (I'm sure Sam will now post a picture of a can of Spam, and he'll think he's clever and funny). But since I'm as guilty as anyone else about derailing threads - but not with stupid pictures, with serious points - I don't bitch when someone does it to my thread, and the conversation goes off-topic.
With these guys it’s just simple control freakery and attention-seeking games of 1st graders.

If we had ponytails, they’d be trying to dip them in the inkwell. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:11 pm
Minnesota State Patrol Purged Emails, Texts After George Floyd Protests - Huffington Post
Attorneys for the Minnesota chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said the file destruction makes it nearly impossible to track the State Patrol’s behavior, as courts and investigators are trying to determine whether law enforcement used improper force against demonstrators.

State Patrol spokesman Bruce Gordon told the Star Tribune that officers follow all requirements for retaining data and that he couldn’t comment further due to the pending lawsuit.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:44 pm None.

What is being said is that defund the police is effectively being used against the party and the party failed to get out front of the problem when defund reared it’s ugly head. We all know the party doesn’t support defund. But it did nothing to defuse that problem.
Your words.

None.

What is being said is that defund the police is effectively being used against the party and the party failed to get out front of the problem when defund reared it’s ugly head. We all know the party doesn’t support defund. But it did nothing to defuse that problem.

Point taken.

Some tried to warn them early on that fly it wouldn't. What did they do? Doubled down.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:11 pm GoUnion, this thread is about Minneapolis, which is in Minnesota. And in Minnesota everyone in the state cares about used cars and trucks. it's the state passion.

If you ever visit Minnesota and find yourself without something to say about any topic all you have to do is mention a car or truck you used to own. As soon as you do that you will be included in the subsequent conversation. You will be welcomed by all and fit right in.

Again, no one cares. I've been to Minnesota. I've probably traveled quite a bit more than you. Hell, I hired a guy from Minnesota who moved to HQ. And they aren't any more interested in vehicles than anyone else.

Your photo is CERTAINLY off-topic. Thank you for certifying Bradman's hypocrisy.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 pm Your words.

None.

Point taken.

Some tried to warn them early on that fly it wouldn't. What did they do? Doubled down.
:lol:

You guys keep saying this, I guess in hopes that it’s troo. Throughout the entire “defund the police” Willie Horton campaign it has been YOU who never had the courage to push back at the propaganda.

You’ll do it in the midterms and during the 2024 campaign season, too. And not just regarding “defund the police,” either.

Don’t blame the Dens for YOUR personal cowardice and moral failures. YOU are the self-described fence-sitter too conformist and cowardly to take a moral stand.

This kind of conservatism thrives thanks to people like you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:25 pm Again, no one cares. I've been to Minnesota. I've probably traveled quite a bit more than you. Hell, I hired a guy from Minnesota who moved to HQ. And they aren't any more interested in vehicles than anyone else.

Your photo is CERTAINLY off-topic. Thank you for certifying Bradman's hypocrisy.
GU may have a point there Sam. We're the land of 10 thousand lakes and are far more interested in tall tales of the big one that got away. :D

Although, if you were to be swigging a couple beers in my shop, with my friends, you'd be dead on. We just finished rehabbing a basket case Hiniker V plow for my son in laws 2008 chevy. She turned out to be a beauty. He picked it up for nothing and could flip it for 2500 or so if he wanted to. :D
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:44 pm
Activists keep police reform push despite Minneapolis loss - Independent UK

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:32 pm :lol:

You guys keep saying this, I guess in hopes that it’s troo. Throughout the entire “defund the police” Willie Horton campaign it has been YOU who never had the courage to push back at the propaganda.

You’ll do it in the midterms and during the 2024 campaign season, too. And not just regarding “defund the police,” either.

Don’t blame the Dens for YOUR personal cowardice and moral failures. YOU are the self-described fence-sitter too conformist and cowardly to take a moral stand.

This kind of conservatism thrives thanks to people like you.
Yea wishful thinking.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:44 pm GU may have a point there Sam. We're the land of 10 thousand lakes and are far more interested in tall tales of the big one that got away. :D

Although, if you were to be swigging a couple beers in my shop, with my friends, you'd be dead on. We just finished rehabbing a basket case Hiniker V plow for my son in laws 2008 chevy. She turned out to be a beauty. He picked it up for nothing and could flip it for 2500 or so if he wanted to. :D
That I would agree with - All the Minnesotans that I’ve known - quite a few - are BIG outdoors people. Dey luv dem lakes!
bradman

Post by bradman »

Yessssss......

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officials-co ... 00594.html
Frey re-elected Minneapolis mayor
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey won a second term, defeating opponents who aligned against him in a campaign focusing heavily on his track record on policing.

City officials announced that Frey won after two rounds of ranked-choice voting tabulation. Challenger Kate Knuth came in second in the final round, pulling in 38% of votes compared to Frey's 49%.

In a victory speech Wednesday afternoon, Frey said the election marked a turning point for the city to put aside politics and unite to address safety, accountability, economic inclusion and affordable housing.
Both Frey and Walz have a promising future. Man, do i love the DFL.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:27 pm That I would agree with - All the Minnesotans that I’ve known - quite a few - are BIG outdoors people. Dey luv dem lakes!
Only a Minneeeeesotan would make a big deal out of a lutefisk feast eh. :)

i've partaken on occasion. Near as i can tell lutefisk is an acquired taste. The hype is more about tradition. The Finlander casseroles on the other hand are to die for.
Ted

Post by Ted »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 pm Only a Minneeeeesotan would make a big deal out of a lutefisk feast eh. :)

i've partaken on occasion. Near as i can tell lutefisk is an acquired taste. The hype is more about tradition. The Finlander casseroles on the other hand are to die for.
Not Minnesotans.

Norwegians.

Those people are not to be messed with. Anyone who can go back for seconds and thirds and fourths and more of lye-soaked fish has to be nearly invincible.

Yuk.

Lefse, on the other hand.....
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 pm Only a Minneeeeesotan would make a big deal out of a lutefisk feast eh. :)

All this Minnesota talk brings back fond memories of Grand View Lodge. A favorite place in the 70’s and 80’s to go clear the head.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Apparently Gefilte fish and Lutefisk are similar. Not all Gefilte fish is made with lye but some of it is and I've seen it. So far in life I've survived a fair number of Seders without ever touching any of it. A few people have tried to make me taste it.

:o

NO!

Just looking at it, smelling it, it gives me a gag reflex. It would be like eating snake, I couldn't do it.

:)

However I could eat a big bug or spiders.
bradman

Post by bradman »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-voters-r ... 26569.html
Why voters rejected plans to replace the Minneapolis Police Department – and what's next for policing reform
Why did the amendment fail?
The vote should not be seen as evidence that Minneapolis residents are content with city policing. Polls have shown that the Minneapolis Police Department is viewed broadly unfavorably, especially among Black residents. And 44% of voters did vote in favor of the amendment, so it is very much a mixed signal.

The reasons people voted against the amendment were complex. Yes, there was an element of resentment among white, more conservative Minneapolis residents who saw this as a radical attack on law and order. But it failed to get enough support among precincts with majority Black residents too.

One possible reason: As well as being more likely to face police brutality, Black Americans are also more likely to ask for the assistance of officers due to neighborhood violence. This bled into concerns over the impact that the amendment would have on police officer numbers.

As a result, the Black community was divided over the amendment. At the same time that some Black activists and city leaders were calling for dismantling or abolishing the Minneapolis Police Department, other Black residents in North Minneapolis were suing the city to hire more officers.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:52 am reform[/b]

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:35 pm Apparently Gefilte fish and Lutefisk are similar. Not all Gefilte fish is made with lye but some of it is and I've seen it. So far in life I've survived a fair number of Seders without ever touching any of it. A few people have tried to make me taste it.

:o

NO!

Just looking at it, smelling it, it gives me a gag reflex. It would be like eating snake, I couldn't do it.

:)

However I could eat a big bug or spiders.
i'll try just about anything once. If i like it i'll do it twice. i once tried lutefisk. :)

Like a smelt fry it's more about the git together fun to be had. :)
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

bradman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 am i'll try just about anything once. If i like it i'll do it twice. i once tried lutefisk. :)

One time I went to a crab feed just after I had been to Alaska to catch crab. And had been up to my hip waders in live crabs. Had been up to my hip waders in the ground up guts and shells of dead crabs. Had smelled crabs with every life giving breath of air I took for a solid six months.

I went there because the gang was all there and there was beer. While they had crab I enjoyed a liquid lunch.

gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:23 pm For just once it'd be nice to stick to the subject.
I would suggest you never again complain about anyone going off-topic. If you do, you'll be shown this thread, where you join in on lutefisk.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:41 am I would suggest you never again complain about anyone going off-topic. If you do, you'll be shown this thread, where you join in on lutefisk.
They do this when their rightwingery is challenged. Lol they do this because their rightwingery is challenged.

Besides, the thread had never gone off-topic at the time bradman was complaining about it, so IDK what he is talking about.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 am i'll try just about anything once. If i like it i'll do it twice. i once tried lutefisk. :)

I don’t subscribe to that notion. When my nose and eyes say no I honor their experience.
Drak

Post by Drak »

So was the point about threads going off topic some sort of blatant passive aggressive trolling game set up by the poster and friends who are now talking about buses and stinky fish? :lol:
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine