Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Civil discussion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

How come it seems so often like the best you guys have got is I know you are but what am I?

Is it because your culture fosters mindless imitation and squelches individual creativity and independent thought?

How come you don't like to play by your own rules? You dish it out but you seem to have trouble accepting it. Why is that?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

The mind-dead things you say, JoeMemphis, are something of a comedy source for me, so I look forward to your posts. Why would I report them??

I tailor my mind dead comments just for you Carmen. It's good to know that I pegged you at the right level.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

How come you don't like to play by your own rules? You dish it out but you seem to have trouble accepting it. Why is that?

JoeMemphis wrote:
I tailor my mind dead comments just for you Carmen. It's good to know that I pegged you at the right level.

Ha, you won't ever be pegging Carmen under any circumstance.

But, you forgot your last impotent attempt at insult just that quick, looks like. That's what happens when you wrap yourself up in braindead clichés.

No, I'm not going to report any of you cop-callers simply for having a spirited clapback. Why would I? I invite you guys' aggrieved, witless retorts. And I don't care one whit about conservative perpetual hurt feelings about my posts. Why should I?

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 am 
Policy Wonk

Its a fun quote...But there doesnt seem to be any real evidence that Ghandi actually said that (like so many things that famous people are alleged to have said.) Certainly not anything specific. I believe the first use of it was nineteen or so years after he died. It does seem to be a quote that might have fit him however. He's said to have had a decent sense of humor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

We have the enemy and they are us.

^met

True. The barbarians are internal this time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 am 
Board Emeritus

But, you forgot your last impotent attempt at insult just that quick, looks like. That's what happens when you wrap yourself up in braindead clichés.

No, I'm not going to report any of you cop-callers simply for having a spirited clapback. Why would I? I invite you guys' aggrieved, witless retorts. And I don't care one whit about conservative perpetual hurt feelings about my posts. Why should I?

DR Who spoiler alert

Cons would have loved it, their hero, the bus driver who had Rosa Parks arrested was featured on most recent episode.

I am not sure why, though. A bad guy from another world tried to prevent Rosa from her event, for some reason I dont yet know, someone here will enlighten me.

The show was a stark reminder of what cowards all white racists are, whiny crybaby cowards and how one little Black Women took them ALL down. Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

It does seem to be a quote that might have fit him however. He's said to have had a decent sense of humor.

I agree with Wikiquote that the quote is probably apocryphal.

Given I occasionally take people to task for this, I should have practiced full disclosure. (Note I wasn't claiming it as authentic; it's just graffiti on a wall.)

That said, it seems characteristic of his style and approach to questions like that.

The sentiment is one I agree with. As I've pointed out, back in the day, Victorian ethnologists seemed to believe that everyone who was not part of British or European "civilization" was a savage or barbarian ... you know, the looming menace outside the gates of Rome.

Of course, there have been many non European civilizations. The Aztec, Inca, Maya, etc. Plus all the ones of Asia. And, as I am noting as Sam does the common root etymology of civility and civilization, I really wonder how civilized "we" have actually ever been. Maybe especially as compared to other examples.

Perhaps we need to actually be civilized before demanding civility.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

+++++++++++++
And off goes Joe into the weeds for the next few days.

Although there's always the chance that you hurwt his widdow feewings and he will come back with his AR-15 blazing swears, indignation, full of sound and fury...signifying nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 am 
Board Emeritus

+++++++++++++

Although there's always the chance that you hurwt his widdow feewings and he will come back with his AR-15 blazing swears, indignation, full of sound and fury...signifying nothing.

Yeah, a bunch of these clowns keep eyeing that book of matches, ready to run out and burn down the Black part of town. :problem:

I really hope they don't start doing this, but it seriously would not surprise me at this point if these lathered-up Nationalists took to trying it, again. :problem:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 am 
Board Emeritus

+++++++++++++

Ike, there's always the chance that human beings will evolve god like powers and use them to save helpless guppies. I don't think Joe's been phased.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike, there's always the chance that human beings will evolve god like powers and use them to save helpless guppies. I don't think Joe's been phased.

Mankind are locusts with intelligence and technology. We destroy everything we see. When the climate apocalypse comes, sooner than anybody anticipates, it will be courtesy of mankind. And if the planet is lucky, there won't be any of us left to screw it up for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mankind are locusts with intelligence and technology. We destroy everything we see. When the climate apocalypse comes, sooner than anybody anticipates, it will be courtesy of mankind. And if the planet is lucky, there won't be any of us left to screw it up for a long, long time.

I am so pissed, I am not gonna live long enough to watch deniers drown.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ike, that would be the natural order. Mankind doing all of that would mean they fit right in with the plants and animals.

Life is destructive in it's creation, even microscopic life is destructive of non organic surfaces. Life kills life to live.

Mankind doing this time what a big rock flying in from space did last time.

The world doesn't care. I care. :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am so pissed, I am not gonna live long enough to watch deniers drown.

That's a big commitment to vengeful thought. :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

That's a big commitment to vengeful thought. :|

You're thought policing, now?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 pm 
Board Emeritus

Did I arrest anyone???