RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Trump admin's proposal could place homeless trans women in men's shelters - NBC News

Quote:
Just a day after Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson faced grilling on Capitol Hill over the Equal Access Rule of 2012, which permitted transgender people to be housed according to their gender identity in single-sex shelters, the department published a proposed rule change that would allow men’s and women’s shelters to segregate transgender people “consistent with state and local law.”

The rule change states that shelters that receive HUD grants and provide “shared sleeping quarters or bathing facilities” may “establish a policy” through which the shelter “considers an individual’s sex” for accommodation at or admission to the facility.

“He either lied to Congress or has no idea what policies his agency is pursuing,” Wexton wrote on Twitter. “Either way, it’s unacceptable.”

They know.

And yes, they are also intractable, amoral liars.

Stop calling the cops on us.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:26 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/trump-administration-rolls-back-obama-era-health-care-protections-transgender-n1009851 - NBC News

Quote:
The Trump administration moved Friday to roll back Obama-era protections for transgender patients, the third rule change issued this month that LGBTQ advocates say will sanction discrimination against transgender people.

The Health and Human Services Department's proposed new rule, released Friday, says in effect that federal laws banning sex discrimination in health care don’t apply to people's "gender identity." The proposed rule from HHS reverses President Barack Obama's administration, which found that the Affordable Care Act’s anti-discrimination section does indeed protect transgender people seeking health care services.

The rule can be finalized after a 60-day public comment period.

“When Congress prohibited sex discrimination, it did so according to the plain meaning of the term, and we are making our regulations conform,” HHS' director of the Office of Civil Rights, Roger Severino, said in a statement announcing the proposed change.

LGBTQ rights groups denounced the move, as did Rep. Jennifer Wexton, D-Va., a vocal advocate for transgender equality.

“By repealing a regulation clarifying that LGBT people are protected against health care discrimination under the Affordable Care Act’s nondiscrimination provisions, the Trump Administration seeks to deny life-saving health care to LGBT people and others and replaces these critical protections with a narrow definition of sex, not grounded in science or the law,” Diana Flynn, Lambda Legal's litigation director, said Friday in a statement."

"The Trump administration is continuing its all out assault on transgender Americans,” Wexton said in a statement. "Transgender people are denied medical care at a much higher rate than their cisgender peers. About one in three transgender people will experience homelessness in their lifetime. These changes are not based on sound policy or genuine concern, but on bad faith fearmongering by a callous administration that could put lives at risk."

In 2016, Trump became the first-ever Republican nominee to mention the LGBTQ community from a GOP convention dais, saying, "As your president, I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology,” referring to the Muslim faith of the Pulse nightclub shooter. However, LGBTQ rights groups say that his administration has proposed policies, installed judges, and appointed staff hostile to LGBTQ equality, including Severino, who has repeatedly espoused anti-LGBTQ views.

Thanks, Caitlyn, :problem:

This exact issue circles back to the OP, which Sam called a stunt. It's not a stunt. The intent is to turn back trans rights, LGBQ rights, Title XI rights, and Civil Rights.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Some good news.

Supreme Court rejects transgender bathroom case, allowing transgender students to use bathroom of choice - CBS News

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court will not take up a challenge to a Pennsylvania school district's policy allowing transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms that correspond with their sexual identity. The justices on Tuesday rejected an appeal from students who argued that allowing transgender students to use the same facilities violated their right to privacy.

The court's order leaves in a place a federal appeals court ruling that held that the Boyertown School District, about 45 miles northeast of Philadelphia, could continue to allow transgender students the choice of what facilities to use.

The students challenging the policy are represented by the conservative Christian law firm Alliance Defending Freedom.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/trump-administration-rolls-back-obama-era-health-care-protections-transgender-n1009851 - NBC News

Thanks, Caitlyn, :problem:

This exact issue circles back to the OP, which Sam called a stunt. It's not a stunt. The intent is to turn back trans rights, LGBQ rights, Title XI rights, and Civil Rights.

Yeah, I said "I think this is one of his stunts. I also think it will be held up if not thrown out in court. He had already suspended the administrations effective enforcement . That stuff left the room when Trump walked in."

Pat on back for calling this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I said "I think this is one of his stunts. I also think it will be held up if not thrown out in court. He had already suspended the administrations effective enforcement . That stuff left the room when Trump walked in."

Pat on back for calling this one.

Did you miss that it hasn't been thrown out and that there's 60 days for comments?

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Transgender inmate found dead in Rikers Island cell - NY Post

Quote:
A transgender inmate was found dead in a jail cell on Rikers Island on Friday afternoon, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

The inmate was found unresponsive in her cell at the Rose M. Singer women’s facility at the notorious jail at about 2:40 p.m., the Department of Corrections said.

Medics responded and tried to revive her for about an hour before she was declared dead, the DOC said.

“Any death in our custody is a tragic loss, and we are looking into how this happened,” ‎a DOC spokesperson said.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

The rumpers and the rump putin administration have announced all out war on all Gay and Trans people. They have given permission to beat them, kill them. Soon they will announce this applies to Jewish people and Latino and white liberals, not to mention Black people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

6 minutes until Pose!

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/pose

Fantastic, fantastic show. That 8.5 on IMDB is well-earned.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

6 minutes until Pose!

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/pose

Fantastic, fantastic show. That 8.5 on IMDB is well-earned.

I don't need all 6 minutes, I'm set now. I'm posing for the lounging on the beach without having combed my hair look.

Got sunglasses. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 am 
Board Emeritus

I don't need all 6 minutes, I'm set now. I'm posing for the lounging on the beach without having combed my hair look.

Got sunglasses. :)

Did you see it? Holy crap did you see it. Omg every minute filled with multiple memories.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:24 am 
Board Emeritus

I just saw the trailer you linked to. It looks like it would be a good show.

Maybe it will get put on a streaming service I'm hooked up with someday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Suspect in Muhlaysia Booker's slaying already jailed in 2 other slayings - Dallas News

Quote:
Dallas police have arrested a suspect in the slaying of Muhlaysia Booker, a 22-year-old transgender woman found shot to death last month in Far East Dallas.

Kendrell Lavar Lyles, 33, faces charges in two unrelated slayings and was already in custody when police linked him to Booker's death, Maj. Max Geron said at a news conference Wednesday at Dallas police headquarters.

Lyles also is a person of interest in the death of 26-year-old Chynal Lindsey, another transgender woman whose body was pulled from White Rock Lake on June 1.

Peirre Booker, Muhlaysia's father, said in a brief phone call that he was excited to hear the news of the arrest and that it gave him some closure.

:(

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

I just saw the trailer you linked to. It looks like it would be a good show.

Maybe it will get put on a streaming service I'm hooked up with someday.

It was pretty amazing. I think you might like it.

Meant to add, one of the stars of Pose, Indya Moore, has been really vocal about this case:

Activists Demand Justice for Layleen Polanco, the 27-Year-Old Transgender Woman Who Died in Solitary Confinement - Elle

Quote:
The Legal Aid Society, which represented Polanco, released a statement following the news of her death, saying, "Ms. Polanco’s passing is a tragic reminder of the heightened risk and physical and emotional torture that transgender people - especially those from communities of color - face in the criminal legal system, particularly while in custody. Her heartbreaking and untimely death warrants a swift, complete, independent, and transparent investigation from the City. We join New Yorkers in demanding justice for Ms. Polanco, her family, and for her community."

Polanco's family also released a statement through their lawyers, saying, "We are heartbroken over the death of our beloved Layleen, whose bright light was an inspiration to all who knew her. as we gather to mourn this tremendous loss, we are left shocked and outraged by the stony silence from the Department of Correction, Mayor’s Office, NYPD, and City government. The family demands answers, and we are entitled to them."

Activists have also spoken out about her death—and the lack of information surrounding it. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted that no one should be kept in solitary confinement, noting Polanco's story:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC
No human being should be tortured by or in the United States.

That means NO ONE should be kept in solitary confinement.

Layleen Polanco was, and now she’s gone - all for $500 bail + low lvl offense.#CloseRikers#AbolishSolitary#EndCashBail#DecriminalizePoverty#EndWarOnDrugs

5:20 PM - Jun 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
11.2K people are talking about this

And actress and transgender activist Indya Moore tweeted about Polanco, saying, "She was one of the most beautiful women I ever seen who was trans. She and so many other girls were an example to me." They also spoke at the protests Monday evening.

IAM

@IndyaMoore
I grew up looking to Layleen as my goal. She was one of the most beautiful women I ever seen who was trans. She and so many other girls were an example to me. She was a member of my house, Xtravaganza. She died in her cell in Rikers.
10th trans woman. https://www.gofundme.com/layleen-cubilette-our-angel

7:17 PM - Jun 8, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Layleen cubilette our angel
At this moment we don’t have much information on what happened to my sister. All we know is that she got into a fight and got locked up and sent to Rikers she was there for a month and was due to [...]

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm 
Board Emeritus

A Black, Queer, Homeless Portlander Was Found Hanging from a Tree. Police Say It's Suicide. Her Family Disagrees. - Portland Mercury

Putting this here because it's been discovered that the person has genderfluid gender expression.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

WHY BILLIONAIRE GOP DONOR JENNIFER PRITZKER IS ABANDONING TRUMP AFTER COMING OUT AS TRANS - VF

Quote:
In 1881, Naphtali ben Yakov Pritzker arrived in Chicago, a 10-year-old penniless Jewish immigrant from Ukraine. Nicholas, as he later was known, taught himself English, worked his way through law school, and opened a law firm, which thrived. Today his descendants rank as America’s seventh-richest family, with a $29 billion fortune derived from investments, a conglomeration of nuts-and-bolts manufacturing businesses, and Hyatt hotels.

Several Pritzkers are currently well known. Jay Robert (known as “JB”) became governor of Illinois in January, and his sister, Penny, served as commerce secretary in the Obama White House. But the family has always closely guarded its privacy.

Thus there was some surprise in Chicago nine years ago, when the Naphtali ben Yakov Pritzker American History Wing was inaugurated at the venerable Chicago History Museum. In addition to its lead show, “Facing Freedom in America,” the wing featured a permanent Pritzker-family history exhibition, which included a family tree. Here one could scroll down and see the name of James Nicholas Pritzker—a great-grandchild of Naphtali and the lead benefactor of the new wing—annotated by birth (1950), marriages (two), children (three), and career (colonel, Illinois National Guard; lieutenant colonel, U.S. Army, retired; Cold War era, Vietnam era, Antarctica, U.S. Army; U.S. Army Reserve, Illinois Army National Guard, 1974–2001).

But around the end of 2013, an alteration was made on the tree, one which few people saw coming: “Jennifer Natalya Pritzker born as James Nicholas Pritzker.” The world’s only known transgender billionaire had, in fact, quietly announced herself a few months previously, in a private email sent to business associates: “As of Aug. 16, 2013, J.N. Pritzker will undergo an official legal name change, will now be known as Jennifer Natalya Pritzker. This change will reflect the beliefs of her true identity that she has privately held and will now share publicly. Pritzker now identifies herself as a woman for all business and personal undertakings.”

A week later, Crain’s Chicago Business broke the story. For all the family’s stature, the story stayed curiously below the radar nationally, perhaps because Colonel Pritzker was so little known—by choice. (The Chicago Tribune described her as “exceptionally private,” while Crain’s called her “ever-private.”) And perhaps the country wasn’t ready for this conversation. It would be another two years before Caitlyn Jenner announced herself (in the July 2015 issue of Vanity Fair).

While Pritzker has remained press shy, she has been anything but idle. In 2003, two years after retiring from the military, the colonel founded the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), which expanded in 2011 when it moved into the landmark 16-story Monroe Building in the Loop, which she purchased for $31.2 million, then meticulously restored.

More in link

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm 
Policy Wonk

I know some people who currently work for the 'the Colonel' as she's known...and others who know a few generations of the family.

One thing interesting in the article (I think it was in this article, or another profile within the last few days), but not in the snippet posted above, is his family wasn't concerned/bothered by the transition, but is by the Colonel's republican politics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:09 am 
Board Emeritus

While Trans Women Die In Detention Centers, Bamby Salcedo Fights For Her Community With A Determination We Rarely See These Days - We Are Mitú

Quote:
Prepare yourself to get familiar with an icon in the making. Bamby Salcedo was born and raised in Guadalajara, Mexico by a single working mother who tried to protect her daughter from hate. She couldn’t.

Salcedo doesn’t consider herself a victim. She is a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, of drug addiction, of homelessness, of persecution for sex work, of the U.S. prison system. Salcedo has survived a transphobic society and considers it a privilege to work tirelessly for trans rights in an uphill battle with ICE.

Bamby Salcedo is leading the initiative to grant equal rights to detained trans women.

Yet, she tells Latina that she’s “just a pawn in the game.” It’s humbling to learn that Salcedo, often referred to as “La Bamby”, said, “I’m just a piece of the puzzle in the fight for trans rights, especially for trans Latina immigrants.”

Much more in link.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

A 22-Year-Old Man Was Arrested In The Killing Of A Black Trans Woman In Dallas - Buzzfeed News

Quote:
A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder Thursday in the death of Chynal Lindsey, one of at least four trans women who have been killed in Dallas in under four years.

Ruben Alvarado was taken in for questioning Thursday to Dallas Police Department headquarters, but he refused to engage with detectives when asked about the death, police officials said in a statement.

Alvarado was booked on suspicion of murder.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Kansas to allow transgender people to change their gender on birth certificates - Kansascity.com

Quote:
“It was time for Kansas to move past its outdated and discriminatory anti-transgender policy,” Gov. Laura Kelly said in a statement Monday. “This decision acknowledges that transgender people have the same rights as anyone else, including the right to easily obtain a birth certificate that reflects who they are.”

The governor also hailed the late Stephanie Mott, the transgender woman who initially sued Kansas to try to change her birth certificate.

“Her advocacy to make Kansas better is remembered in this important decision and in other progress she achieved for transgender people,” Kelly said.

Ohio and Tennessee still do not allow people to change the gender on their birth certificates.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Horrors of ICE’s ‘Trans Pod’ - Atlantic

Quote:
Luz entered the United States via an official port of entry and asked for protection through political asylum. She was promptly imprisoned. “I had already been imprisoned [in Honduras] and didn’t want to experience another situation like what I had been through,” she says in the film.

Later, Luz would learn that her Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention facility, New Mexico’s Cibola County Correctional Center, had previously been a criminal correctional prison. In October 2016, it was shut down due to inhumane conditions that resulted in several inmate deaths. Shortly thereafter, ICE offered a contract of $30 million a year to the same facility. It reopened in January 2017. Since early 2018, Cibola has incarcerated more than 180 women in its “transgender pod”—the only known ICE-run detention facility for transgender-identifying women. According to Johnson, the incarcerated women, such as Luz, were seeking protection from violence and persecution they had suffered in their home country.

Luz says she spent three excruciating months in Cibola—two of which were in solitary confinement. “It was really, really horrible for me,” she says. “I went into a depression that made me want to hurt myself.”

Johnson, who works part-time at the Santa Fe Dreamers Project, told me that the women in the trans pod face extraordinary hardships and obstacles to winning their cases. “While in custody, they face a shocking lack of medical and mental-health services,” she said. “They are put in abusive solitary confinement, they experience high levels of sexual assault, and they face discrimination from the government and the corporation that detains them.” Johnson cited the deaths of Roxsana Hernandez Rodriguez in 2018 and Johana Medina Leon this year as grave evidence of ICE’s inability to detain trans women safely.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

CAA Signs ‘Pose’ Actor Indya Moore - Deadline

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: CAA has signed actor, model, writer and social activist Indya Moore. The transgender, non-binary, Haitian-Dominician and Puerto Rican actor is part of the groundbreaking, critically acclaimed FX series Pose co-created by Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Steven Canals, which is currently in its second season.

On the series, Moore plays Angel Evangelista and is part of the largest trans cast in the history of television which includes Mj Rodriguez, Dominque Jackson, Angelica Ross, Hailie Sahar alongside Billy Porter, Angel Bismark Curiel, Evan Peters, Kate Mara, James Van Der Beek, Ryan Jamaal Swain, Charlayne Woodard and Dyllón Burnside.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

'Pose' Just Got Nominated For Two Emmys - Out

Best drama series, best lead actor (Billy Porter)

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

'Pose' Just Got Nominated For Two Emmys - Out

Best drama series, best lead actor (Billy Porter)

Have not watched yet. I should check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm 
Board Emeritus

Have not watched yet. I should check it out.

Yeah it's really good! Never seen any show like it.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

Janet Mock and Our Lady J Make Emmy History With Outstanding Drama Nomination for 'Pose' - ET Online

Quote:
Janet Mock, Our Lady J and Silas Howard just made Emmy history.

The producing team behind Pose, the FX series about LGBTQ community of color from the 1980s New York City ballroom scene, became the first openly transgender people ever nominated for Outstanding Drama Series. They are nominated alongside co-creators Steven Canals, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.

When the nominees for the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on Tuesday, Howard, Mock, Our Lady J and the entire Pose team made a significant breakthrough for transgender representation on TV. In addition to the top prize, the series was also nominated for four technical categories as well as Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for Billy Porter, who became the first openly gay black man to be recognized in that category.

“We are grateful to the Television Academy for seeing us. Working with this trailblazing cast and crew is award enough. It is why I stand here awed by this recognition. I hope the spotlight of this nomination burns bright on our industry's urgent need for more inclusive storytelling, where those who lived it are empowered to tell their own stories,” Mock said in a statement to ET. “Congratulations to our leading man Billy Porter on his nomination, and all our fellow nominees.”

“It is truly an historic day in Hollywood with Pose’s nomination for Best Drama! For decades, trans and gender-nonconforming talent have worked tirelessly alongside LGBTQ+ activists to ensure that this day would come -- a day when we are the ones to star, write, direct, and produce content based on our lived experiences,” Our Lady J said to ET. “Thank you to Ryan Murphy for making this moment happen, and thank you to the Television Academy for acknowledging the resilient spirit of our show and of our community. I am so extraordinarily proud to be a part of Pose.”

In addition to the series’ six nominations, Laverne Cox was once again nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Sophia Burset on Orange Is the New Black. This is her third nomination total for the role. She also remains the only openly transgender person to ever be nominated for a primetime acting Emmy.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMM...MMM...mmm.

MMMM...MMMM...mmm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8