RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

BREAKING: Supreme Court reinstates Trump’s ban on trans servicemembers in the military
This will end badly.
https://thinkprogress.org/breaking-supr ... 044d72862/

The Supreme Court handed down a pair of orders on Tuesday that effectively reinstate the Trump administration’s ban on trans military service.

[snip][end]

A ban that was effectively instated by the POTUS posting to Twitter, I should add.

So for those who say we should ignore what he posts on Twitter, while I agree it is usually nonsense, there is a risk to ignoring all of it.

Wait, I thought the new members of the SC were not really bad guys. What happened? Where are their defenders?

ps

NOTHING glen says is EVER to be paid attention to here EVER Again after saying Kavanaugh was telling the truth and Dr. Ford is the liar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, you mean the McConnell Court?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

My feeds are LIT UP with this news story today.

From the OP:

The move would be the most significant of a series of maneuvers, large and small, to exclude the population from civil rights protections and roll back the Obama administration’s more fluid recognition of gender identity. The Trump administration has sought to bar transgender people from serving in the military and has legally challenged civil rights protections for the group embedded in the nation’s health care law.

Several agencies have withdrawn Obama-era policies that recognized gender identity in schools, prisons and homeless shelters. The administration even tried to remove questions about gender identity from the 2020 census and a national survey of elderly citizens.

Sam thinks the redefinition is a "stunt".

Hope he doesn't think this SCOTUS ruling is a "stunt," either. Can't wait for him to come in here and downplay/cis-splain it for me. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rump, gop, putin want to exterminate the LGBTQ community.

If they wont go away quietly, that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

No question anymore which country is at the bottom of the "shithole countries" list.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Rump, gop, putin want to exterminate the LGBTQ community.

If they wont go away quietly, that is.

Yeah going away either quietly or otherwise isn’t an option go most people I know

I know what manner in which I’m staying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Goes without saying, add to that any and all who support him, whether they are vets or not, fuck em.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:36 pm 
Board Emeritus

Obergefell, 2013. Yes, marriage takes into account LGBTQ issues.

Until you've downgraded your own marriage to a civil union, you shouldn't recommend it for anyone else.

Trans people are a part of LGBTQ - it's what the T is for.

There are transgender people in samesex relationships, e.g., transgender lesbians like Judge Vicky Kolakowski of Alameda County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Kolakowski

She is transgender and her wife is a cis woman, Cynthia Laird, a reporter for the Bay Area Reporter, one of the flagship LGBTQ newspapers locally and nationwide. Judge Vicky should also have her own subsection in Amen Corner, because she's also an ordained minister in the Metropolitan Community Church.

LGBTQ marriage equality directly affects them as a samesex couple, and couples like them. They are probably the only couple in the world with the kind of A-lister visibility that can bring any recognition to what these struggles mean for the rest of us. It is not easy for them.

The point of the thread is that this administration is attacking transgender rights, and this latest story from Sunday is one more way it's been doing so.

It's not just in the Department of Health and Human Services. It's in the Department of Education, the military, the State Department, and in looming court cases that the SCOTUS may take up in its next session.

There is a larger elephant in the room, that a government attack on transgender rights especially at the federal level filters down to all LGBTQ rights. Rightwing LGBTQs, not even people like Caitlyn Jenner, get this, yet. Or maybe Trump's fellow reality television star is finally starting to get that...dunno. I don't expect them to get it. I do expect people who claim to be our allies to get it.

Political Notebook: CA appeal court vacancy offers Newsom historic LGBT pick - Bay Area Reporter

Quote:
In 2010 Kolakowski, the wife of Bay Area Reporter news editor Cynthia Laird, became the country's first elected transgender trial court judge. She is one of only three known transgender judges in the country, with the others serving on the bench in Arizona and Texas.

Should Newsom, the former mayor of San Francisco, decide to name Kolakowski to the seat, he would become the first U.S. governor to appoint a transgender person to a judicial seat. His doing so would come 40 years after Brown named Stephen Lachs as the first openly gay judge to serve in California and the first out appointed jurist in the country.

A spokesman for Newsom did not respond to the B.A.R.'s request for comment about his judicial appointments process.

Attorney Annick M. Persinger, co-chair of Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom, told the B.A.R. that the LGBT legal group "believes it is essential to have someone with the transgender perspective behind the bench."

It will be sending a letter of endorsement on behalf of Kolakowski to Newsom's administration. As it wrote in a letter sent to Brown last year endorsing Kolakowski for the appellate bench, BALIF called her "extremely qualified for the position."

It noted that she had "over 28 years practicing as an attorney, five years as an administrative law judge, and almost eight years on the bench at the Superior Court."

Judge Vicky is a really interesting person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Kolakowski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Cuomo signs GENDA, NY transgender rights bill, and conversion therapy ban - Auburnpub.com

Quote:
Calling it an "emotional day," Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Friday signed bills that provide protections to transgender New Yorkers and bans the use of conversion therapy on children.

The conversion therapy ban and the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act, which adds gender expression and identity as protected classes in the state's human rights and hate crimes laws, have been priorities for the LGBTQ community. The bills were blocked by Republicans when the GOP controlled the state Senate.

Now that Democrats hold majorities in both houses of the state Legislature, the bills were among the first passed by the Assembly and Senate this year.

"Today is a day we have been waiting and fighting for for a very long time," said Glennda Testone, executive director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center in New York City, which hosted the signing ceremony.

With the ban on conversion therapy, New York becomes the 15th to prohibit the controversial technique. Supporters of conversion therapy believe it can change an individual's sexual orientation. But health professionals and medical groups have denounced the practice, mainly because of concerns that it's harmful to young people.

GENDA, like the conversion therapy ban, was a bill introduced nearly two decades ago to bolster rights for transgender gender nonconforming people. Opponents labeled it "the bathroom bill" because of unfounded fears that men would take advantage of the protections to dress as women and enter women's restrooms.

The new law aims to prevent discrimination against transgender New Yorkers. The U.S. Transgender Survey found 30 percent of transgender or gender nonconforming Americans were denied a promotion, harassed at their workplace or fired from their jobs because on the basis of their gender identity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Senate confirms Allison Rushing, a judicial nominee who once interned for a hate group - Vox

Quote:
Rushing is among a wave of younger nominees that Senate Republicans have been keen to advance in recent days, HuffPost’s Jennifer Bendery notes. According to a Vox analysis from last December, President Trump’s judicial nominees overall have been whiter, more male, and slightly younger than those proposed by former President Barack Obama. Because many of Trump’s judges have been white men in their 40s, they’re expected to establish an enduring conservative presence on the courts that could last for decades.

Additionally, left-leaning activist groups including the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights have raised concerns about her previous time working with ADF, a group that has helped defend businesses’ ability to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals. Republicans, meanwhile, have praised the experience she has had and touted her work filing briefs to the Supreme Court.

Rushing’s confirmation hearing was also among those that were held during a recess period last fall over Democratic objections. Only a handful of Republicans attended her hearing as a result.

In addition to Rushing, there are a few other judicial nominees on the Senate’s docket this week. They include Chad Readler and Eric Murphy, both Sixth Circuit nominees whom Democrats have opposed. Readler is known for authoring the Trump administration’s brief challenging protections the Affordable Care Act established for people with preexisting conditions. And Murphy has previously argued against marriage equality in the landmark Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

Leaked DOD Memo Outlines Plan to Ban Employment of Transgender Service Members - Transgender Law Center

Quote:
Last night, a memo from the Department of Defense leaked outlining a plan to implement the military’s employment ban on transgender people starting April 12th. If implemented, the order could potentially be the largest layoff of transgender people in history. The order effectively bars all but a few current transgender service members from serving openly or accessing medical care, and blocks transgender people from enlisting going forward.

Kris Hayashi, executive director of Transgender Law Center (TLC), the largest national trans-led organization advocating for a world in which all people are free to define themselves and their futures, issued the following statement:

If the military moves forward with implementing this illegal and unconscionable ban, it will devastate the lives of thousands of transgender people and their families who will be put out of work just because of who they are.

And that is the point of these bans. Social conservatives will not stop at banning transgender persons, and entire religions, either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

Leaked DOD Memo Outlines Plan to Ban Employment of Transgender Service Members - Transgender Law Center

And that is the point of these bans. Social conservatives will not stop at banning transgender persons, and entire religions, either.

They want a "White Christian Amurica"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

I heard today one out of 6 judges out in the wild were appointed by the racist traitor. I bet it is one out of 12 for Obama.

40% of America wants you DEAD and they want ME dead for not hating you and they want MD dead and the Professor etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am 
Board Emeritus

Narrow minded fascist assholes. So damn afraid of their own fucking shadow they want everyone else to conform to their standards of conduct. I am so fracking lucky my parents raised me to respect people and not hate them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

Narrow minded fascist assholes. So damn afraid of their own fucking shadow they want everyone else to conform to their standards of conduct. I am so fracking lucky my parents raised me to respect people and not hate them.

I hear rump has come out and told his deplorables to kill us all.

I wish glen was around only so I could show him how right I was all along.

He wasnt the only one 2 or 3 years ago who gave me shit about this, many did, here and elsewhere. I am not mad about it, but I sure the fuck hope people learned.

I went thru a business deal with one of these people, trust me when I talk about them I KNOW what I am talking about!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7