RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:48 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks Prof. Who knew that non-religious and secular people get married?

I detect sarcasm.

My answer is "people who say marriage only has to do with religion, and not with the government" appear, sometimes, not to.

It's a government issued contract between two people - check the marriage license. Government dissolves the contract if need be --> divorce court, part of our judicial branch, is thataway,

Last edited by ProfessorX on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

It's not what I personally think is politically feasible. The issue in this thread is the precarity of the very idea of equal rights for LGBTQs, most especially trans people.

I agree with you on that line. I made sure precarity had something to do with precarious or precariousness, it does, then I agreed with you in full.

Quote:
I can tell this is an abstraction, because you're still somehow invested in the civil unions for everyone line, a failed idea around attaining full LGBTQ citizenship rights.

That line argues a logical fallacy, a faulty generalization based on induction which is unwarranted, there is a clear absence of sufficient evidence for drawing that conclusion.

:|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

I agree with you on that line. I made sure precarity had something to do with precarious or precariousness, it does, then I agreed with you in full.

That line argues a logical fallacy, a faulty generalization based on induction which is unwarranted, there is a clear absence of sufficient evidence for drawing that conclusion.

First They Came For guy speaks. :problem:

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Two big #WontBeErased #WeWontBeErased actions, today and yesterday.

World Series: Fans Unfurl Huge Banner Supporting Transgender Rights During Game 5 - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
"TRANS PEOPLE DESERVE TO LIVE" read a huge banner at Dodger Stadium.
A group of baseball fans made a strong statement during Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday night.

The ticketholders unfurled a huge banner reading "TRANS PEOPLE DESERVE TO LIVE" at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, where the home team was taking on the Red Sox. The fans were located in the reserve section just above the suites on the third-base side, above the Dodgers' dugout.

The banner wasn't mentioned or shown during the live broadcast on Fox.

And today at the Lincoln Memorial:

Attachment:
transequality-lincoln-mem.jpg
transequality-lincoln-mem.jpg [ 111.07 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

As far as military discrimination, this also happened last week.

LGBTQ groups ask court to keep injunction blocking transgender military ban in place

Quote:
LGBTQ legal advocates are asking a federal court to reject the Trump administration’s latest attempt to implement a ban on transgender service members.

In the brief submitted to Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the National Center for Lesbian Rights and GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders argued that the government’s contention that the implementation plan developed by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is a “new” policy is nonsense.

They noted that the “new” policy is no different from the broad-based ban on transgender service members floated by President Trump via Twitter in July 2017, and urged Judge Kollar-Kotelly to keep her injunction in place.

“In direct response to President Trump’s orders, the military has produced an implementation plan that has the purpose and effect of ridding the military of transgender people from service,” Jennifer Levi, the director of GLAD’s Transgender Rights Project, said in a statement. “The military’s own research on this topic shows that a ban weakens military strength. Transgender people have been courageous warriors. They have served on the front lines. The Trump-Pence administration owes them a debt of gratitude, not this kick in the teeth.”

The underlying lawsuit lodged against the Trump administration, known as Doe v. Trump, was brought on behalf of several anonymous transgender active-duty service members.

Three other federal courts have since issued similar preliminary injunctions, with a California judge refusing to rescind his injunction despite repeated requests from the Trump administration.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

First They Came For guy speaks. :problem:

That reminds me, that nickname, my nickname, you gave me a nickname, I want to give you one but I don't know what you would like.

I assume my suggestion of Carmen Sandiego didn't thrill you even though it comes with Men in Black sunglasses.

You're always saying "dumb bigot", how about "dumb bigot" to be your nickname?

Répondez s'il vous plaît :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

Simmering frogs guy sez:

That reminds me, that nickname, my nickname, you gave me a nickname, I want to give you one but I don't know what you would like.

I assume my suggestion of Carmen Sandiego didn't thrill you even though it comes with Men in Black sunglasses.

You're always saying "dumb bigot", how about "dumb bigot" to be your nickname?

Répondez s'il vous plaît :D

Like the rest of the mind-dead cons around here, the evident best you've got is "i know you are but what am I."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

HRC, which has now rightfully boarded the trans train after having abandoned trans persons during the ENDA fight, just posted this

HRC Sends FOIA Request for All Records of Trump-Pence Administration’s Attempt to Redefine “Gender”

Quote:
Today, HRC sent a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for all records related to the Trump-Pence administration’s efforts to redefine the word “gender” in order to exclude transgender people from federal civil rights protections and enable discrimination against LGBTQ people in general.

On October 21, 2018, the New York Times published a report that “the Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth.” According to the report, HHS drafted a memo to establish the legal definition of “sex,” and the “agency’s proposed definition would define sex as either male or female, unchangeable, and determined by the genitals that a person is born with [...] Any dispute about one’s sex would have to be clarified using genetic testing.”

“This effort by the Trump-Pence Administration to erase transgender people in the public square and exclude them from federal civil rights protections is horrific and alarming,” said HRC Legal Director Sarah Warbelow. “It is imperative we understand the key players pushing for this destructive action along with their motivations, analysis, and rationale.”

HHS will likely also encourage other federal agencies to follow suit in their severely restrictive and narrow definition of sex. The administration’s decision could have severe consequences for LGBTQ people across the federal government. For example:

A transgender person could have their insurance deny them coverage for transition related care
Same-sex couples and their families could be turned away from emergency shelters
A transgender woman could be turned away from a hospital for a broken ankle
A gay man could be harassed about being gay at a job skills training
An elderly transgender person or same-sex couple could be denied in home meal service
A transgender girl could be forced to live in a youth shelter for boys

Equality Act, HR 2282, SB 1006

Senate
House

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

Simmering frogs guy sez:

Like the rest of the mind-dead cons around here, the evident best you've got is "i know you are but what am I."

Check that off, no.

It's OK, it can be hard to find a match up. When folks saddled me with the nickname MacGyver I didn't care for it. Not at first, but then I realized that they were trying to find my good side not be mean.

When I suggested "dumb Bigot" in quotes I intended it for the text world, to be written as,,, Carmen "dumb Bigot" Jonze. A lot of typing but I would be the one doing the extra typing.

I should have said this before, do you want to reconsider?

In that same text style I'll suggest the possibility of Carmen "nativity" Jonze. Always to be typed out in full bold, formal like, respectful.

It's OK, a good fit is important, your feelings are a concern. When I do stumble upon a, yea, do let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Check that off, no.

It's OK, it can be hard to find a match up. When folks saddled me with the nickname MacGyver I didn't care for it. Not at first, but then I realized that they were trying to find my good side not be mean.

When I suggested "dumb Bigot" in quotes I intended it for the text world, to be written as,,, Carmen "dumb Bigot" Jonze. A lot of typing but I would be the one doing the extra typing.

I should have said this before, do you want to reconsider?

In that same text style I'll suggest the possibility of Carmen "nativity" Jonze. Always to be typed out in full bold, formal like, respectful.

It's OK, a good fit is important, your feelings are a concern. When I do stumble upon a, yea, do let me know.

You have an opportunity to learn about the latest developments on the topic of transgender civil and human rights. Whether or not you take it is up to you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Doctors, Advocates, & Providers Share How Policy Changes Would Threaten Trans Patients' Health And Rights - Bustle

Quote:
If this policy is enacted, 1.4 million Americans will no longer be recognized by the gender they identify with. In not being recognized, civil rights protections will be eliminated.

Organizations listed in this article:

Human Rights Campaign

Parents for Transgender Equality National Council

Chase Brexton LGBT Health Care

Physicians for Reproductive Health

Target 10 Marketing

The Center - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center, NYC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

National Lawyers Guild just added this

NLG Statement in Support of a Non-Binary Future

Quote:
The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) and its chapters nationwide are proudly in solidarity with transgender, non-binary, Two Spirit, and intersex members, supporters, and activists currently under attack from the U.S. President and federal administration.

With the U.S’s midterm election even more important than prior years, we know this hateful discourse and transphobic rhetoric is an eleventh-hour strategic effort to encourage conservative participation at the polls. Just like what Trump is doing weaponizing the caravan of migrants, asylum seekers and their families. However, in response, we encourage even stronger trans, non-binary, Two Spirit, and intersex visibility in all respects and allyship by those affected by Trump’s hateful policies, directly or indirectly. The Trump administration’s irresponsible attempt to win elections on the backs of gender non-conforming people is sickening and reckless. It encourages violence, fear, and transphobia in all parts of public and private life.

NLG refuses to remain silent on this matter—our community should experience no uncertainty on how much it is valued and appreciated. We honor the wise and meaningful contributions of our trans, non-binary, Two Spirit, and intersex members, and ask that all civil rights and legal organizations embrace, take leadership from, and ensure the safety of those members most impacted by recent attempts to erase them. We all win when we recognize that the future is non-binary.

In solidarity and service,

National Lawyers Guild
Queer Caucus

The National Lawyers Guild, whose membership includes lawyers, legal workers, jailhouse lawyers, and law students, was formed in 1937 as the United States’ first racially-integrated bar association to advocate for the protection of constitutional, human, and civil rights.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 am 
Board Emeritus

You have an opportunity to learn about the latest developments on the topic of transgender civil and human rights. Whether or not you take it is up to you.

Don't worry about that Carmen, I read your posts, I always do. Since September 4th, 2009, i always read your posts. Nine years. I'm keeping up. The whole of it is really awful. As soon as I made sure precarity had something to do with precarious or precariousness I thought you said something which resonated.

Did you know that I have a child of my own in transition? :|

Hmm, does that resonate with you, or does your preconceived notions about me overwhelm that? On a political board I do edit what I say openly. Other times I get in a state of mind where I don't care. More of that.

My first girlfriend was a lesbian. I mean we were friends, close friends. In a town where lesbians were really picked on I helped her. I provided cover in social settings, she provided cover for me.

I was immature for my age and without her at my side I couldn't cover that. I needed someone who looked like a girlfriend just as much as she need someone who looked like a boy friend. We really got close and our relationship lasted for several years. There are more than likely folks in our two towns who wondered why we didn't get married, we were always together. She played bass and I played rhythm guitar, or mixed the sound. We couldn't sing.

In between that beginning point and that ending point I've been amoung the gendered different all my life, other than you I've never faced complaint.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:25 am 
Board Emeritus

As soon as I made sure precarity had something to do with precarious or precariousness I thought you said something which resonated.

That's what you get for having your mouth set to correct my wording.

Quote:

Did you know that I have a child of my own in transition? :|

Hmm, does that resonate with you, or does your preconceived notions about me overwhelm that?

I wish them luck. They will need it.

Quote:
My first girlfriend was a lesbian.

Etc., etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 am 
Board Emeritus

Ha, I love Miss Major

Artist is Micah Bazant https://www.instagram.com/micahbazant/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:39 am 
Board Emeritus

OK Miss Major, Miss Major it is, your new nickname. :D

In Catch 22 there was a Major Major, with that mnemonic I'll be able to remember your nickname, so this will work. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 am 
Board Emeritus

OK Miss Major, Miss Major it is, your new nickname. :D

In Catch 22 there was a Major Major, with that mnemonic I'll be able to remember your nickname, so this will work. :)

I'd love to have accomplished even a glisten on the tip of the iceberg of what Miss Major has. I think you ought to respect that about her. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:01 am 
Board Emeritus

I'd love to have accomplished even a glisten on the tip of the iceberg of what Miss Major has. I think you ought to respect that about her. :)

Tell me about her. Tell all of us about her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 am 
Board Emeritus

Tell me about her. Tell all of us about her.

I'm guessing this is sarcasm and trolling.

If so, ask your kid about her. In case your kid doesn't know about her, tell them about her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 am 
Board Emeritus

I'm guessing this is sarcasm and trolling.

If so, ask your kid about her. In case your kid doesn't know about her, tell them about her.

Abe Lincoln was President and if I listen to 12 people tell me about him I will learn something new from each of them.

From me they might learn that I wonder. I wonder if the coln tucked away as the last half of his last name might be an indication that he's from my tribe.

You never know what you might find out if you listen to people. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:56 am 
Board Emeritus

Abe Lincoln was President and if I listen to 12 people tell me about him I will learn something new from each of them.

From me they might learn that I wonder. I wonder if the coln tucked away as the last half of his last name might be an indication that he's from my tribe.

You never know what you might find out if you listen to people. :)

You tried to use your transitioning child as a shut-up and clapback. #cantbetrusted viewtopic.php?p=429692#p429692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:26 am 
Board Emeritus

You tried to use your transitioning child as a shut-up and clapback. #cantbetrusted viewtopic.php?p=429692#p429692

It pretty obvious you're scurrying around looking for e-rocks to throw.

I'll see you in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 am 
Board Emeritus

It pretty obvious you're scurrying around looking for e-rocks to throw.

I'll see you in the morning.

There's no such thing as e-rocks, but there are more important things to talk about in this thread than your personal distaste for what I say and attempts to derail the actual topic. Seriously I wish you wouldn't have done it. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:02 am 
Board Emeritus

This floated HHS policy is related to this floated EO: Trump thinks he can override the 14th Amendment by EO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'm glad some folks are using this thread to share information. That is what an MB is very good for.

Others, well, they are doing stuff less useful, but lately that seems to be their wont. Mostly, rather than sharing information, they seem to want to tell others here how to think and feel and react to that information.

Needless to say, I view that as less productive. (I'm not saying highlighting its relevance or how it affects them and others, and telling people how to act on it politically, aren't also useful.)

It should be obvious whom I am referring to. But I won't refer directly, call-outs are against the rules of this board. (Not that everybody doesn't skirt this rule plenty, of course.)

And with that, for now, adieu to this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next