RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:30 am 
Board Emeritus

ZoWie's thread on civil discussion on RFL got branched off into larger questions about civility. Instead of posting more along those lines in his thread, I thought to start this one.

Conservatives and/or the Republican Party are back in the news demanding civility cuz it's hard for them to eat dinner at some restaurant. Yet this is the face of their legal and public policies.

Image - look at this stupid bottle blond

Lindsay, please please please please PLEASE stay in that closet. We don't want you.

Stop calling the cops on us.

Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 am 
Board Emeritus

civility

Trump Considers Terrifying New Policy to Eliminate Transgender Rights - The Cut

Quote:
According to the Times, a new definition will likely be presented to the Justice Department by the end of this year. If successful, the narrower definition would strip an estimated 1.4 million people of a legal recognition of their gender identity. This would result in loss of rights ranging from housing to healthcare to education.

Conservative political correctness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 am 
Board Emeritus

civility

Editorial: The Trump administration wants to resurrect family separation policy - SF Chron

Quote:
Miller was one of the most vehement advocates of the first family separation policy, even as it led to chaos at the border, hastily assembled tent camps for children, and a massive political backlash across the nation.

At least 2,500 children were taken from their parents over a period of six weeks; hundreds of those children are still separated from their families. Some of the parents who were deported before the Trump administration reversed its damaging policy may lose their children permanently to adoptions in the U.S.

Now, Miller wants to try again.

Reports suggest that one option under serious consideration would be for the government to detain asylum-seeking families for up to 20 days, before allowing parents to make a choice.

Why do conservatives demand we be civil with their police state policies??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 am 
Board Emeritus

civility

Voter-Suppression Tactics in the Age of Trump - New Yorker

Quote:
Decades ago, amid the most overt privations of Jim Crow, African-Americans used to tell a joke about a black Harvard professor who moves to the Deep South and tries to register to vote. A white clerk tells him that he will first have to read aloud a paragraph from the Constitution.

When he easily does so, the clerk says that he will also have to read and translate a section written in Spanish. Again he complies. The clerk then demands that he read sections in French, German, and Russian, all of which he happens to speak fluently. Finally, the clerk shows him a passage in Arabic. The professor looks at it and says, “My Arabic is rusty, but I believe this translates to ‘Negroes cannot vote in this county.’ ”

Old jokes have lately been finding renewed salience. Literacy tests, poll taxes, and grandfather clauses, once the most common mechanisms for disadvantaging minority voters, have been consigned to the history books, but one need look no further than the governor’s race in Georgia to see their modern equivalents in action. The race between the Republican, Brian Kemp, Georgia’s secretary of state, and the Democrat, Stacey Abrams, the former minority leader of the state House of Representatives—who, if she wins, will be the first black female governor in the country—is a virtual tie. But Kemp has invoked the so-called exact-match law to suspend fifty-three thousand voter-registration applications, for infractions as minor as a hyphen missing from a surname.

African-Americans make up thirty-two per cent of the state’s population, but they represent nearly seventy per cent of the suspended applications. Kemp’s move is particularly questionable given that Abrams’s electoral strategy hinges on mobilizing the six hundred thousand unregistered black voters who have long been seen as the holy grail of Democratic politics in the state.

I suppose we are to be grateful conservatives are no longer murdering us for putting a ballot in a box. :problem:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 am 
Board Emeritus

civility

Major Christian group tells members to pray for the right to harm LGBT children - LGBTQ Nation

Quote:
Tony Perkins, the group’s leader, is one of our adulterous and immoral president’s biggest supporters. Under his leadership, the group has become explicitly political and is frequently involved in Republican policy making.

In a “prayer of the day” email sent to supporters, today Perkins asks his followers to plead with God for the right to harm LGBT children. And elect far right Republicans.

More and more communities and states around the nation are banning the dangerous practice of “ex-gay” or “conversion therapy” that attempts to “fix” LGBTQ children and adults. It has been widely condemned by pediatric and psychiatric groups as a fraudulent treatment without any scientific support.

Many LGBTQ people who were sent to conversion therapy as children or teenagers have struggled with suicidal thoughts and massive guilt when they weren’t able to change their sexual orientation through prayer or other quack rituals.

I wonder how long before conservatives start re-implementing forced sterilizations of nonconformists, again. :problem:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 am 
Board Emeritus

civility

viewtopic.php?p=427265#p427265

Quote:
Proud Boys Leader: 'I Have A Lot Of Support In The NYPD' - Gothamist

Proud Boys leader Gavin McInnes isn't apologizing for the mob assault committed by members of his gang in the Upper East Side on Friday—instead, he's touting his alleged ties with local law enforcement.

In a Sunday episode of his podcast, Get Off My Lawn, McInnes described his arrival at the Metropolitan Republican Club: "So I get there and there’s a mob of screaming lunatics and the cops have been there all day," he says. "Tons of cops, I have a lot of support in the NYPD and I very much appreciate that, the boys in blue."

Elsewhere in the episode, McInnes justifies the violence committed by Proud Boys by claiming that antifascists created a "climate of fear" after allegedly vandalizing the GOP clubhouse. He also appears to liken members of his group to those who fought back against the Ku Klux Klan.

"You’ve set the atmosphere now, so you can’t complain about violence after that," he argues. "If I go to Harlem and I put posters all over the streets saying 'the Klan is coming, your days are numbered' and then, you know, I’m seen in a Klansman uniform after this neighborhood watch thing, that’s different than me just wearing a Klansman uniform."

In video taken of Friday night's scene, dozens of Proud Boys can be seen kicking a protester who lies in the fetal position, while shouting "faggot" at him. One of the attackers is later heard bragging to his buddies about smashing the head of a "fucking foreigner" into the pavement.

Though video evidence appears to show officers at the scene during some of the violence, not a single Proud Boy was questioned or arrested on Friday night. Meanwhile, three protesters were reportedly arrested on Friday night for punching a Proud Boy and stealing his backpack.

Same old law enforcement collusion with violent conservative white vigilantes; different hair, different clothes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 am 
Board Emeritus

Mr. Wendal has freedom
A free that you and I think is dumb
Free to be without the worries of a quick to diss society
For Mr. Wendal's a bum
His only worries are sickness
And an occasional harassment by the police and their chase ...

Uncivilized we call him
But I just saw him eat off the food we waste
Civilization, are we really civilized, yes or no
Who are we to judge
When thousands of innocent men could be brutally enslaved
And killed over a racist grudge

--- Mr. Wendal, by Arrested Development

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 am 
Board Emeritus

BTW: the ACLU has just promised to take them to court.
https://www.advocate.com/transgender/20 ... ns-erasure

Good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 am 
Board Emeritus

I think the ACLU will do well in court on this one. It's pretty cut and dried this is an attempt to erase people. When it goes to court the judge will likely realize he has something insidiously odd on his bench right away.

I used the word erase, other people are using that word for this as well so they've seen this too. This is about who is ignored, it isn't about an action, it's about a calculated deliberate inaction.

If I were a judge and I were seeing this, I would see a bald attempt being made to bamboozle the court system with a negative proposition and I would become irradiated by it right away. This thing if it were allowed to stand would disturb the orderly fabric of the legal system.

It would be like having an unsightly tear in the space time continuum.

I give it five minutes in court. Space time continuum minutes so don't try to use your watch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:10 am 
Board Emeritus

Correct Sam. In effect, the administration is arguing transgender people are not real.

Not only that, but they are deliberately ignoring what almost everyone on Earth knows "gender" means. (I realize it's a linguistic issue, and in some languages "sex" and "gender" are not separate words, and even in English differentiated meanings really only started being emphasized after the 60s.)

Even if we want to stick to basic biology, their claims are wrong. They're pretending intersex people don't exist either. It's so wrong all around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am 
Board Emeritus

Civility toward Proud Boys is a much less effective tactic than calling the cops on them. If the cops are MAGAs and don't do anything, then my philosophy has no issues if someone wants to go to Woody Allen's baseball bat stage of discourse.

Granted that the regular go-rounds between antifa and whitenats are getting old. I wonder how much of this is the boys just wanna have fun hormone thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am 
Policy Wonk

Seems hard to believe that this latest anti-trans issue another attempt on the part of the right -- this administration in particular -- to divide people and to incite 'culture wars.'

Unbearable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 am 
Board Emeritus

I give it five minutes in court.

Hey, remember that time you ran around telling people their hair was on fire over the "seven words the CDC can't say" and lectured people about reason and reality? viewtopic.php?p=386353#p386353

Here's a bit of perspective for you regarding "court".

The rightwing bulldozing steamroller who reportedly came up with this policy is Roger Severino, head of the HHS OCR. Roger came to the HHS from a DeVos-bankrolled policy outfit, Director of the DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society in the Institute for Family, Community, and Opportunity, at the Heritage Foundation. This is the same clown that also invented the taxpayer waste called the HHS Division Of Conscience And Religious Freedom.

His wife is Carrie Severino, head of the Judicial Crisis Network, which threw millions of dollars behind pro-Kavanaugh and Gorsuch ads.

Quote:
This thing if it were allowed to stand would disturb the orderly fabric of the legal system.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winnah.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Which is exactly the point. Most of this is NOT spontaneous. It's billionaire rabble-rousing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 am 
Board Emeritus

And I am the one who gets called names when I correctly, years ago, identified ALL republicans as traitors, terrorists, murderers, criminals, liars.

Right now they are engaged in assisting rump kill a journalist and cover it up. ALL of them.

When I and NOBODY ELSE on the internet or in the media was tweeting

GOP prefers KGB to USA...

:twisted:

Or when I say civil unrest is just around the corner. for fuck sake

Last edited by Libertas on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 am 
Board Emeritus

Good.

The ACLU has a good short film series on trans life. I know a person involved with it.

TRANS IN AMERICA: A Documentary Series

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Good.

Which court, if a con is the judge...forget it

Did you see the story I posted here about the bush appointed judge interfering with Mueller? have to look for it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Look at this stupid, violent, race-baiting conservative white

Attachment:
djt-stormy-daniels-horseface.jpg
djt-stormy-daniels-horseface.jpg [ 86.28 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

Attachment:
djt-pocahontas.jpg
djt-pocahontas.jpg [ 89.13 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

Attachment:
djt-voter-intimidation.jpg
djt-voter-intimidation.jpg [ 71.7 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

civility

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:51 pm 

And just today, president 666 has declared the U.S. bound caravan from Central America a national emergency. So don't be surprised if the midterms are delayed or cancelled due to this "national emergency." As Rachel would say, watch this space!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

civility

Woman Harasses Family for Speaking Spanish in Virginia Restaurant - NBC Washington

Quote:
A Latina woman was with family visiting from Guatemala when she says they were verbally harassed by a white woman for conversing in Spanish at a Virginia restaurant.

The family was confronted inside Andy’s restaurant in Lovettsville.

"She asked for passports; she said that she knew everybody in Loudoun County to get us out of here, and she started saying that we were supposed to speak English, but I'm like 'we’re not talking to you,'" said the victim, who asked to remain anonymous. "They're here visiting and they don’t know English, so how do you want them to speak English when they’re here just visiting?"

Part of the incident was caught on video.

“You don’t freeload in this f------ country,” the woman is heard saying on the video. “You get the f--- out, back to your f------ country.”

Police were called but no charges were filed.

The owner of the restaurant said the woman who harassed the family is not welcome back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

civility

More white conservatism

Last edited by carmenjonze on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

It is sad because per Carl Bernstein, ouch, we are in for big trouble

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24642&p=428414#p428414

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

conservative civility a few days ago in NC

more conservative civility from yesteryear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:54 pm 
Board Emeritus

Something tells me CJ could do this ALL DAY LONG