All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... al_twitter

Seize their licenses, today.

Quote:
Sinclair is the largest owner of television stations in the United States, with a hundred and ninety-two stations in eighty-nine markets. It reaches thirty-nine per cent of American viewers. The company’s executive chairman, David D. Smith, is a conservative whose views combine a suspicion of government, an aversion to political correctness, and strong libertarian leanings. Smith, who is sixty-eight, has a thick neck, deep under-eye bags, and a head of silvery hair. He is an enthusiast of fine food and has owned farm-to-table restaurants in Harbor East, an upscale neighborhood in Baltimore. An ardent supporter of Donald Trump, he has not been shy about using his stations to advance his political ideology. Sinclair employees say that the company orders them to air biased political segments produced by the corporate news division, including editorials by the conservative commentator Mark Hyman, and that it feeds interviewers questions intended to favor Republicans.

In some cases, anchors have been compelled to read from scripts prepared by Sinclair. In April, 2018, dozens of newscasters across the country parroted Trump’s invectives about “fake news,” saying, “Some members of the media use their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control exactly what people think. This is extremely dangerous to our democracy.” In response, Dan Rather, the former anchor of “CBS Evening News,” wrote, on Twitter, “News anchors looking into camera and reading a script handed down by a corporate overlord, words meant to obscure the truth not elucidate it, isn’t journalism. It’s propaganda. It’s Orwellian. A slippery slope to how despots wrest power, silence dissent, and oppress the masses.”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Not really news, this has been going on for sometime.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Like I said, this is a really really bad situation where hundreds of licensed TV stations are lying to the public on a daily basis.

Some of us, like myself, are well aware of this but because it was already reported once, doesnt mean we dont talk about it again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

:)

An image can convey a thousand words.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm 
Policy Wonk

And some of us are looking for ways to end the proapganda instead of btiching about.

Glenfs posted about the Left's War On Women. Glenfs posted this after the Cosby Verdict "Gloria Allred is a media hound and an asshole. The most dangerous place to be is inbetween her and a microphone or camera". 04/27/2018.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm 
Policy Wonk

:)

An image can convey a thousand words.

I remember seeing that logo all over Northern Virginia and Maryland when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 pm 
Board Emeritus

I guess that means no more threads about racism or trump or anything, ever. Or maybe you just mean from me.

sigh

Since posting by itself is not doing something about any of them.

sigh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

It may not be a new story, but the news about this particular corporate entity and this practice is worse today than when John Oliver first reported on it.

As for what you can do on a MB - well, you can organize a boycott. There's that.

How effective this will be is the question. Were liberals already watching Sinclair?

So, I guess there is the bitching, and complaining, and pointing it out.

You can always write your Congressman. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

It may not be a new story, but the news about this particular corporate entity and this practice is worse today than when John Oliver first reported on it.

As for what you can do on a MB - well, you can organize a boycott. There's that.

How effective this will be is the question. Were liberals already watching Sinclair?

So, I guess there is the bitching, and complaining, and pointing it out.

You can always write your Congressman. ;)

They own network stations, that is a BIG problem. WE own those airwaves. thus the reasonable argument for seizing their licenses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Isnt that basically what every network does directly or indirectly? While MSNBC might not write a script for Rachel Maddow is there any doubt her views are going to the same views of those who run MSNBC. Same for Fox News and Hannity. They don't need to write him a script as they know where he is going with every story.

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

They own network stations, that is a BIG problem. WE own those airwaves. thus the reasonable argument for seizing their licenses

Has that ever been done to a large network?

"within weeks of being rid of the likes of you, rid of every fucking one of you,we would begin to see what kind of country this ought to be" Ike Bana 6/14/18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Isnt that basically what every network does directly or indirectly?

No.

Next question?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now we are seeing attack ads of Pelosi, calling her a witch or something.

Filthy traitors will attack patriots every time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

This article is actually from the current NYer issue

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

This article is actually from the current NYer issue

I know, but I am the messenger, so you know

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Isnt that basically what every network does directly or indirectly? While MSNBC might not write a script for Rachel Maddow is there any doubt her views are going to the same views of those who run MSNBC. Same for Fox News and Hannity. They don't need to write him a script as they know where he is going with every story.

Every network is not like Sinclair or has that local reach Sinclair does. Sinclair is a different type of network. You should read the article to find out what differentiates Sinclair, starting with the fact that they're not cable news like Fox News or MSNBC.

Things like:

Quote:
Sinclair’s stations—there are often several in the same broadcast area, branded as local ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox affiliates—enjoy the trust of viewers because they appear independent, even though much of the content is dictated at a national level. A former news director at a Sinclair-owned station told me that Smith “purposely went in and bought a whole bunch of stations in mid-America—i.e., Trump kinds of towns. Places where they could have a big influence.” She added, “I don’t care what your politics are—the bottom line is, they hatched a plan to have an effect on the majority of this country. And, when you look at it, I’m positive the right-wing commentaries, in small markets, had an effect on the election.”

Stop calling the cops on us.