RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 am 
Board Emeritus

The NYT has evidently been reading my observations in this post! :)

In ‘Rainbow Wave,’ L.G.B.T. Candidates Are Elected in Record Numbers

Quote:
More openly lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people were elected Tuesday night than in any previous election, signaling a shift in cultural attitudes even as the Trump administration has chipped away at L.G.B.T. rights.

The results are still rolling in, but at least 153 have won so far, said Elliot Imse, a spokesman for the Victory Fund, a nonpartisan political action committee devoted to electing L.G.B.T. candidates. The group endorsed 225 candidates in this election cycle, nearly all of whom were Democrats.

L.G.B.T. candidates ran for office in record numbers this year. “Success breeds success,” said Annise Parker, the president and chief executive of the Victory Fund and former mayor of Houston.

“We’re not going out and pleading with people to run,” she added. “These are people who say, ‘I want to go out and do this and bring my whole self to the campaign.’”

:)

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm 
Board Emeritus

The NYT has evidently been reading my observations in this post! :)

In ‘Rainbow Wave,’ L.G.B.T. Candidates Are Elected in Record Numbers

:)

Yeah, I saw your rainbow wave in celebration here. It was pretty, and it was real. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

This doesn't sound cool, Bill.

Recounts loom larger, legal action begins as margins tighten in key Florida races - Tampabay.com

Quote:
Both campaigns made demands Wednesday for the names of voters who cast provisional ballots Tuesday. Those demands were swiftly rejected by county election supervisors, who said that the requests by both candidates violated state law and the Florida Constitution.

Nelson’s campaign made similar electronic requests that were also quickly rejected by counties.

“I gave them the number that we had, but I did not give them the names,” Okaloosa Supervisor of Elections Paul Lux told the Times/Herald. “If you give them the names of people, you could potentially violate the secret ballot provision of the state Constitution.”

The Miami-Dade Democratic Party issued an alert to members Thursday, seeking volunteers to track down everyone who cast a provisional ballot to “help ensure that their votes are counted.”

The alert also sought volunteers to help with a likely hand recount of ballots in the race for agriculture commissioner, where Democrat Nikki Fried trails Republican Matt Caldwell by 4,105 votes out of 8 million cast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, I saw your rainbow wave in celebration here. It was pretty, and it was real. :)

You'll like this one, then. It's got some history behind it. Very interesting.

A Black Trans Woman Will Be Taking Over Ayanna Pressley’s Seat On Boston City Council As She Heads To U.S. Congress - Blavity

Quote:
Althea Garrison, a Black trans woman, is now slated to serve on the Boston City Council seat that has cleared after Ayanna Presley won a congressional seat in the House of Representatives. Pressley made history by becoming the first Black woman to represent Massachusetts in Congress as the future representative for Boston’s 7th Congressional District.

Now that Presley is no longer holding the title, Garrison will be the second Black woman to serve as a state rep for Massachusetts' 5th Suffolk District. However, this is not the first title Garrison has held; she is also the first openly trans state legislator.

The 78-year-old has been entrenched in politics for over 30 years, with her first major position as a state representative for Massachusetts where she served from 1993 to 1995. In an interview with WBUR News, Garrison described herself as a “Black conservative” who also has some “liberal” and independent” ideas.

"I'm basically a conservative, but I also have some liberal ideas," she stated. "I am a conservative; I am independent also," Garrison continued. "A Black conservative.” :problem: whatever

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

Mother on a mission: Gun control advocate wins US House race

ATLANTA (AP) — An African-American gun control advocate making her first run for public office has flipped a long-red House seat that Georgia Republicans held onto just last year in what was then the nation's most expensive congressional race.

"We've sent a strong message to the entire country," Lucy McBath tweeted on Thursday after Rep. Karen Handel conceded.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Mothe ... ml?ref=441

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

The Latest: Love-McAdams race remains too close to call

Republican U.S. Rep. Mia Love remains locked in a tight race with Democratic challenger Ben McAdams as she fights to keep her House seat in a largely suburban, politically mixed district.

McAdams' lead inched up Wednesday after blue-leaning Salt Lake County released more results, but the race was still too close to call following a hard-fought campaign in a district where many voters are uncomfortable with President Donald Trump.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news ... 373529.php

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Proving once again that the polls were wrong and the "science" of polling has yet to catch up with the cell phone age.

Nah. It proves the GOP suppresses the vote and cheats to win.

Voting with hurt fees to pwn the libs:
Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Nah. It proves the GOP suppresses the vote and cheats to win.

Both FL races were stolen as well as GA race and many others.

No republican ever wins a race where the difference is small, in EVERY one of those cases if the GOP wins it is from stealing.

Gerrymandering alone accounts for some of them before the election even takes place.

If we had a real Democracy, the way the numbers are there would be a permanent House of 300 dems to 135 gop and 70 senators to 30 gop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

I was looking at the New York Times election result page. They're still counting votes in Arizona and our Senate candidate is now 0.4% in the lead.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:20 am 
Policy Wonk

How they lost: What went wrong for Michigan GOP candidates in the 2018 midterm election

Quote:
...........The campaigns of other unsuccessful GOP candidates told voters to be afraid: of tax increases, of open borders, of threatening immigrants and of Democratic extremism that threatens American stability.

Lena Epstein, a GOP candidate for U.S. Congress, said she was afraid the U.S. would cease to exist if the wrong folks were elected. She lost Michigan's 11th Congressional District to Democrat Haley Stevens. Schuette warned that Whitmer wanted to abolish ICE and make Michigan a sanctuary state.

Both took their cues from Trump, who rode a drumbeat of fear to victory in 2016, and continues to reap rewards from his supporters by promising that disaster is looming.

It didn't work in Michigan, not this time. ...........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am 
Board Emeritus

Lena Epstein probably lost the votes of a lot of Jews, and maybe other people of consideration and conscience, when she invited Pence & a "Messianic Jew'/Christian evangelist to address people in Pittsburgh after the synagogue shooting.

Can't say I'll miss her. Maybe, as our tradition often suggests, this will give her a chance to reflect on her sins.

BTW, Krysten Sinema is now leading her opponent in AZ as counting continues.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am 
Board Emeritus

Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper's future may be in doubt after rough losses, chaotic campaign

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper's position may be in jeopardy after a second straight election of underperformance, including a chaotic coordinated campaign between the party and statewide candidates, sources said.

Party insiders with knowledge of the Ohio Democratic Party's interactions with several statewide campaigns described poor financial decisions, petty squabbles over basic party functions and an inability by Pepper to rein in staff.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... ratic.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Changing politics in Cobb County

There has been a change in Cobb County and Democrats are saying it's because of people showing up to vote.

CBS46 spoke with the Cobb County Democratic Committee about the county changing colors

https://www.cbs46.com/news/changing-pol ... 53015.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper's future may be in doubt after rough losses, chaotic campaign

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Pepper's position may be in jeopardy after a second straight election of underperformance, including a chaotic coordinated campaign between the party and statewide candidates, sources said.

Party insiders with knowledge of the Ohio Democratic Party's interactions with several statewide campaigns described poor financial decisions, petty squabbles over basic party functions and an inability by Pepper to rein in staff.

https://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ss ... ratic.html

Good. DeWine should have been beatable especially with vote thief Husted as his running mate. Some jerk-off Trumper won a judgeship in my area. Overall Ohio was a mess.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

How Democrats finally did it on Long Island

Long Island emerged on Tuesday as the pivotal swing region in New York Democrats’ new state Senate majority. Breaking through in a way the party never has before in Nassau and Suffolk counties, Democrats ended election night with five (and perhaps six) of the nine Long Island state Senate seats, up from just two. The victories by state Sens. Todd Kaminsky and John Brooks, as well as Anna Kaplan, Jim Gaughran and Monica Martinez (and the victory claimed by Kevin Thomas) shattered Republicans’ last downstate bulwark and provided the foundation for a Democratic state Senate majority of somewhere between 36 and 39 members in Albany.

That result was the outcome of a concerted Democratic focus on Long Island, culminating in the party’s state Senate leadership showing up at the Nassau County Democratic Party’s party at the Garden City Hotel on election night. Democrats’ focus on flipping Long Island was evident from the start of the campaign season. Gov. Andrew Cuomo personally recruited candidates and built a nine-point platform he campaigned on with them. “We drove the knife through the heart of the Long Island Nine,” state Sen. Michael Gianaris, who spearheads the conference’s elections efforts, told City & State on Tuesday night, referring to the GOP’s historic grip on most if not all of the region’s state Senate delegation.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles ... sland.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

Wisconsin and Michigan results give Democrats hope for their 2020 chances

Quote:
.......Of the five competitive statewide races in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin and Michigan, Democrats won four of them. They held their Senate and governor seats in Pennsylvania and beat the Republican candidate for governor in Michigan, as well as the incumbent in Wisconsin, onetime presidential nominee and GOP rising star Gov. Scott Walker.

If that is predictive of their chances in those states in 2020, Democrats should be thrilled.......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

2018 State Legislative Election Results Chambers Controlled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm 
Policy Wonk

Leonard concedes to Nessel in Michigan Attorney General race - Detroit Free Press

Dana Nessel (D - Winner) is also the first out lesbian AG in Michigan history.

Image Image Image

Michigan’s New Attorney General Wants to Shake Up the Flint Water Crisis Investigation

Quote:
........“I have long been a critic of the way in which Bill Schuette has handled the Flint water crisis investigation,” Nessel told Bridge, a news site run by the Center for Michigan, a nonprofit think tank. “He is merely an opportunist who has used the crisis to further his political ambitions via a series of politically charged show trials.” As attorney general, Nessel promised to “re-evaluate” the investigation and any pending cases “as the entire process has been highly suspect.” .......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 pm 
Board Emeritus

I've been waiting all week to post my AZ pride and bisexual flags...

Sinema widens lead over McSally in Arizona Senate race - The Hill

Either way whether she wins or loses, I'm going to. :twisted:

I wonder if people get just how historic these races are, not just for LGBTQ rights and visibility but for voting rights after the gutting of the Jim Crow-killing Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Quote:
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D) widened her lead over Rep. Martha McSally (R) in the heated Arizona Senate race after a new round of ballots were tallied in the Democrat's favor late Friday.

Sinema more than doubled her lead over McSally with Friday evening's latest tranche of results. The Democrat now leads her GOP challenger by more than votes.

Sinema, earlier Friday, McSally by just 9,163 votes out of nearly two million cast — a 0.48 percentage point lead. She now leads her opponent by just over 1 percentage point.

The vast majority of the votes tallied Friday came from Maricopa County, the state's largest, where there were an estimated 345,000 uncounted votes prior to Friday's evenings results.

Results from Maricopa were closely divided, with Sinema holding just a 2.5 percentage point lead over McSally on Thursday night.

Before Friday's release, Pima County had the next-largest chunk of uncounted ballots. The county, which houses the more left-leaning Tuscon, had 80,000 uncounted ballots. Sinema led there by 13 percentage points as of Friday afternoon.

The largest pool of votes likely to favor McSally come from Pinal County, where an estimated 30,000 votes remain untallied. McSally, on Friday, led Sinema by 14 percentage points in the county.

Friday's wave of results came the same day a settlement was reached in a Phoenix courtroom that permits rural voters to have extra time to fix issues with their ballots, according to The Associated Press.

The settlement is a compromise in response to a Republican lawsuit that sought to stop urban voters from making those changes on the ballots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Dems continue to pick up House Seats.

Quote:
because of this board... it will be very hard for me to support a Democratic candidate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

I am celebrating that our country has rejected liberalism once again snowflake

Most embarrassing but hilarious post by far. LOL.

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Most embarrassing but hilarious post by far. LOL.

glen lives in delusionville where he is the Troll mayor and chief liar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

glen lives in delusionville where he is the Troll mayor and chief liar.

Absolutely.

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

So Much For the Blue Wave

Conservative whites think counting all the votes is hatred of whites.

Dramatic turn of events flips hot race in Southern New Mexico - KOAT

Quote:
Roughly 8,000 ballots were the deciding factor in who was elected to the 2nd Congressional District seat. Poll workers at the Doña Ana County election warehouse spent hours sorting through thousands of absentee ballots Wednesday.

After an additional day of counting ballots, Democrat Xochitl Torres Small was named the winner in New Mexico's 2nd Congressional District race.

Torres Small gave an emotional victory speech shortly after the secretary of state called the race.

“This process doesn't fix our challenges. Only working together will do that. That's why I am so grateful for everyone who has stood up in this moment to work together.”

She thanked a lot of people, including her team and parents.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 am 
Board Emeritus

State Sen. Joe Fain concedes as investigation into rape allegation proceeds

Republican state Senator Joe Fain, of Auburn, conceded his re-election to the 47th district on Friday night. Democratic challenger Mona Das wins with 51 percent of the overall vote.

Fain was running for re-election amid allegations that he raped an acquaintance more than a decade ago. He has denied the allegations and his accuser said she was not interested in pressing charges.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... -613186391

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next